Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

13 rider

Guru
After tea the line Emmerdale is on for an hour tonight was muttered I understand this to mean you ARE going for a ride not to disappoint out with the bike .Did a regular loop of Newtown Linford up Pollybotts lane around the back of Markfield Thornton reservoir and back to home. 14.1 miles when I first started doing it anything under an hour was a good time .Tonight I did in 49 mins 50 secs despite it being windy again After doing a flat out sprint along the reservoir dam I started the climb out of the valley put it a low gear and spinning up the hill when I got passed by Leicester forest rider at speed thought about responding but I now when I'm beat :surrender:Luckly at end of the road he went right but I went left removing the temptation to chase him down not that I would have caught him but I would have tried .

Katherine

Guru
Well this was Sunday's ride, so slightly worse than PeteXXX for late reporting.

It was a ride of two very distinct halves. First was the intro ride again for the club, shorter than some, out from Swinton via Walkden, Little Hulton, Astley and Leigh, a quick loop round Glazebury, Culcheth and Glazebrook towards Warburton Bridge but we didn't go over it this time. So we caught the tale end of breakfast at the Black Swan, sitting outside to enjoy our coffee and toast before heading back on the Cadishead Way past Barton Airfield towards Eccles but skirting it by taking the Port Salford Greenway to Winton. A quick sprint up to Monton where we went our separate ways home except that I didn't.

For the second half of the ride, I waited to meet up with 2 guys from my other cycling group to do a bit of the rece for the August ride to... ( "for the comedy value") Nob End
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nob_End?wprov=sfla1
Which was reached by lots of off road paths, a bit of route 55, and some quiet roads and turned out to be very muddy, very peaceful and beautiful in places. It's always a pleasant surprise to find yourself in the middle of nowhere in what seems like remote countryside yet only a few miles from urbanisation. It had been a place of busy industry and now a maze of paths, open meadow and parts of the old Bury canal that still have water in.

A lovely new bridge over the river Croal.

IMG_20160703_133051322.jpg

"Right, so this must be Nob End - for the comedy value, don't forget - which way shall we go now? "
IMG_20160703_133115379.jpg

A bit of the old Bury canal looking up at where nature has reclaimed what was a set of locks. We watched some beautiful iridescent blue damsel flies.
IMG_20160703_135109388.jpg

The old canal going over the river Irwell. It disappeared into the undergrowth not much further on.
IMG_20160703_135459606.jpg

We then headed for The Horseshoe pub in Ringley turned out to be rather nice too.
After that we took mostly route 6 down through Drinkwater Park to come out at the bottom of Agecroft. The other 2 carried on towards Salford Crescent and Manchester and I headed up the hill towards Swinton. When I got to Roe Green I discovered that I was 2 miles short of an imperial half so a quick call into home to wave Mr K off to work and back out for some loops. I was just turning round for home when I bumped into 2 ladies also from the other club. After a quick catch up, I extended my ride again to show them the new slope onto the loop line that avoids having to use the steps and the gutter down the side.
And finally home after exactly 53 miles. My poor bike was filthy having had to negotiate some farm tracks. So Sunday evening was spent cleaning it. All better now. For that reason I'm not sure that I actually want to go on the actual ride that I helped/hindered on to rece!

robjh

Legendary Member
I set out at 8 o'clock yesterday morning and headed north-east towards the Norfolk coast, taking advantage of a good tailwind. At first I followed familiar Sunday-ride territory through the (relatively) high ground south of Newmarket, then headed for Thetford Forest, which included riding down a stretch of the old A11 at Elveden, now earily quiet since the monster dual-carriageway was carved through the trees a few years back. Thetford itself was uninspiring, but I refreshed myself with a coffee and a pasty and was off again. 45 miles so far.
I carried on round the edge of the Breckland, through Croxton to Wretham. I guess I expected to see unspoilt open heathland, but instead I passed only belts of trees and the occasional MOD sign for the nearby training grounds. I reached East Dereham after 71 miles, and after another coffee and pasty (there's a pattern here) I carried on northwards on backroads to Holt. Norfolk has countless lovely little traffic-free lanes, although with so few hills it can lack variation, but Holt feels like the hill capital of the county, with short but proper climbs into the town from most directions. I finally saw the sea near Weybourne at about 4 pm, and was in Sheringham (98 miles) just before café closing time, and stopped briefly to watch a steam engine on the North Norfolk Railway.
I continued round the coast to Cromer and Mundesley, when it dawned on me that I really should be heading back to Norwich for a train home. I was now facing into the wind, and put my head down for an 18-mile race against the clock to get there for the 8 o'clock train. I made it with 10 minutes to spare, and 136 miles ridden. I needn't have worried though as the train was delayed by a mechanical ('driver locked out of own cab' apparently), and so I caught a later train back to Cambridge and finally got through the door after 11pm.

first glimpse of the sea, near Weybourne
20160704 Cromer ride (9).JPG

a grammatically curious sign
20160704 Cromer ride (10).JPG

North Norfolk steam, near Sheringham
20160704 Cromer ride (13).JPG

route-finding, Robjh-style
20160704 Cromer ride (12).JPG

Cromer pier
20160704 Cromer ride (20A).jpg

the route
upload_2016-7-5_23-18-15.png

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I needed to scout a 40 mile route for a ride on Saturday: having put this off for the last few days because it has been raining constantly, I said to myself "it's now or never", even if it had started drizzling ... again!
Resigned to get a soaking, I set off. After about a mile, fortunately when I was about to turn left, my chain jammed.
Managed to coast to a stop, after a bit of detective work this is released from the drivetrain:
20160705_201914.jpg A hard piece of plastic, how it managed to get in there I don't know, the chain was removed for cleaning yesterday, so it must have happened today. It could have been disastrous should I've been pedaling downhill!
An apocalyptic "cyclist dismount" sign:
20160705_151151.jpg On the return journey I discovered there's a day nursery near the roadworks.
I had decided to follow the cycle path out of Glasgow first along the river Clyde, then through parks and minor roads to Paisley, which I new was about 12 miles from the start of Saturday's ride, then follow the path to the nearest village that would take me to the 20 miles mark and find a nice spot for our lunch.
20160705_153409.jpg This lane in Pollock Park is one of my favorite cycling spots, shame it's only half mile long. Next to it flows the river Cart.
Once in Paisley, I soon discovered that reaching Bridge of Weir would give me the milage needed. Found us a lovely al fresco restaurant too, with bike parking space, just off the path. Mission accomplished!
The rain stayed off too, by mile 15 the sun came out and I felt positively overdressed.
After a no bad double espresso and a chat with a local I headed back home: I had left at 3, was planning to be back by 7, but for mechanicals, running events in the park, road works and a pesky traffic light that just would not change for me I got home at 8, slightly peckish :hungry: at 46 miles.
Some more pictures for you from the cycle path Glasgow to Greenock.
20160705_173921.jpg 20160705_184604.jpg
20160705_192712.jpg :hello:

Good A10 commute today on the Weigh single speeder;chilly but sunny and a bit easier than I expected.

Think I'll need a bigger chainring as I'm spinning out quite a bit so will get a 46t one from SJS who stock the small size Stronglight ones.

Bike was great though and the Veloflexes much nicer than the Duranos(which will go back on later in the year for winter duties),brakes good too now with fresh pads so all good for more commutes.

https://www.strava.com/activities/631686127

Parked up at Barnwell junction;

IMG_20160706_065714170.jpg

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
The usual.

Except in the pouring rain.

In my rain cape.

In the windy wind.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
baden hill.png
Enjoyed a 15 mile ride into work today venturing up north beyond Tytherington thence back down south to Bradley Stoke.

Baden Hill was lovely on a sunny morning.

Mrs Yeti doesn't give way to cyclists but I anticipated that, & avoided a collision whilst making my point a bit.

yeti woman.png
yeti 2.png

Maverick Goose

A jumped up pantry boy, who never knew his place
:wahhey:Stoatin' ride yesterday evening- Waunfawr, Gwyrfai Valley, outskirts of Caernarfon, down the cyclepath to Penygroes dodging dogwalkers and runners, then back up the Nantlle Valley (nice little climb there, but it's fairly steady most of the way), through Rhydd-Ddu and back home. Blue skies and lovely puffy white clouds all the way, and the heather's just coming into bloom as well. The Nantlle climb is definitely feeling easier now (second time this week I've done it....last Thursday it started tipping it down and I had the wind and rain right in my face as I came over the summit), so I'm definitely getting fitter in the old fashioned sense:sweat:...flyin' high now, gettin' strong now:dance:!

Top Bottom