Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I got out for a couple of hours off road round Roman Lakes and Mellor. About 15 miles in total. Some right hard technical stuff. Chickened out on a descent as the last thing I want is to fall. Checking Strava, some folk have hit 25mph down this stepped narrow bridleway. Mine was 4.4 mph, walking.

I need to seriously get my confidence up plummeting to near death, but you'll understand me chickening out after my accident. Rattling round Mellor is so much harder than a 'man made trail' - there are no berms, no smooth jumps, just ruddy big rocks everywhere. Real off road and a fair bit of pushing as you can't get traction.

There was no way I would have done some of the ride on my rigid MTB, the full sus Boardman is a capable machine, just the rider is overly cautious.

Some lovely views near Strines (Marple) over to Lyme Park. I made it about 50 yards up this climb before grinding to a halt on a load of massive pebbles.
20160721_180751.jpg
20160721_180802.jpg
20160721_180807.jpg

Last edited:

Mrs M

Guru
image.jpeg

Lovely evening after lots of rain today. Sat outside to eat tea, a very nice chicken and veg stew made by Mr M. :hungry:

Pottered about a bit then decided to go for a wee spin on the Pashley. A few cyclists, joggers and dog walkers out enjoying the fine evening. Overtaken going uphill by a friendly chap on a mountain bike, asked if I carried oxygen in my wee saddle bag and could he have some ^_^
Passed a lovely golden retriever pup :wub:
who was very interested in the bike so I let her get a closer look. Met 3 roadies when I was passing the Police Station, was going to say "evening all" but they didn't look like a receptive audience for my attempt at humour so just smiled and got a glare in return x3 :tongue:
Very enjoyable toddle, took a wee selfie when we got home. :hello:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
After yesterday's brake issues, I headed up to @Rickshaw Phil for him to provide his expert opinion.

Rode the bike for the 2 miles up to Phil's, mostly uphill and so not much need for the brakes.

Rear wheel removed, pads removed and Phil finds the issue pretty quickly, I'd worn the one pad down to the metal!! :stop:

We nipped to Halfords, found one set of pads on the shelf, asked the lad if they had another set, which he found in a draw, despite the computer saying they only had the 1 set (they had 3:laugh:) good stock control there :wacko:

Back to Phil's and he had the new ones fitted in next to no time. Quick spin around the village, and they were fine, much more responsive!

Quick chat to Phil and the family and then a speedy descent back home, where I was passed way too close on virtually the only road section of the ride by an idiot doing way over the 40mph speed limit :thumbsdown:

5.4 miles and much thanks to @Rickshaw Phil for his services :okay:
I'm sure that Phil would have checked your wheel rim ... I did the same thing on my first MTB but destroyed a rim with panic braking on a steep descent. It definitely isn't worth trying to make a few pounds worth of brake blocks last those last couple of rides!

gavgav

Guru
I'm sure that Phil would have checked your wheel rim ... I did the same thing on my first MTB but destroyed a rim with panic braking on a steep descent. It definitely isn't worth trying to make a few pounds worth of brake blocks last those last couple of rides!
Disc brakes on mine. Phil suspects that the disc may be slightly warped, due to uneven wear to the pads, but will be ok for this set.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
It's disc brakes rather than rim so no worries there. The disc has been looked over - slightly marked but caught before any real damage was done.

Buck

Guru
Holme Moss beat me today :sad:

There I've said it and feel better :smile: More on this later...

I've been wanting to get back up Holme Moss on the bike for a while so today it was! I woke up this morning with what I can only describe as achy legs (maybe it was the day in the garden yesterday; the warm weather or something else?) Anyways, I delayed my departure until this PM having taken on plenty of fluids and packing my jersey with food; jelly babies; drink etc.

Slightly overcast today but certainly warm still and the wind was quite warm!

Up out of the village and then down into Holmfirth via New Mill and then left heading towards Holmbridge then up the steep road heading into Holme.

As the road flattened out Holme Moss reveals itself in all of its glory as a lovely backdrop with the pub on the right (so tempting!) A quick photo, drink and breather then I was off again!

IMG_3065.JPG

On through Lane which is a hamlet of around 5 houses and a farm before the slight dip then the sweeping left hand bend up the hill - here we go!

Round the first couple of bends then on the first 'long' stretch. It was here that my legs were shouting at me and as much as I shouted back I couldn't get them to do what I wanted and so, I had to stop :sad: This was really disappointing for me as I had planned to get up to the top in one go (something I hadn't done before on my previous two attempts)

A quick breather and off again only to suffer the same on the next stretch where I got off the bike and had a drink and a few jelly babies (more for comfort than anything else!!). I accepted at this point that the climb was going to be in stages but none the less it would be climbed.

The last half mile was actually OK and grinding away I got to the top (past the car park which isn't actually the top!) and onto the gravelled area where the sign is - ideal for a photo opportunity!!

IMG_3071.JPG

A quick descent to the car park to take in the views before getting back on the bike and whizzing down the hill - wheeee! Now I'm not the bravest of descenders but I did enjoy this one - according to Strava/Garmin I hit the heady speed of 45.9 mph but with plenty of braking for the tight bends then safely back into Lane/Holmbridge the way I came.

As I came into Hinchcliffe I peeled right and up Dobb Lane/Acre Lane, a more scenic climb back rather than going through Holmfirth and the busy roads. A lovely climb up the hill for three or four miles before coming to the main Dunford Road.

I had thought of heading straight home here but I wanted to make up for my earlier disappointment and put some more miles in so, I took a right on more familiar territory heading down past Winscar Reservoir, through Townhead and Carlecotes before a left and up the road past The Fox House and then right onto Bedding Edge Road then across the main road and right to do my regular loop around the windmills. I was pleased/suprised that I managed to get a PR up the short/steep climb to Royds viewing platform before heading back on Broadstones towards home.

When I got home, on the drive, I realised I had 29.7 miles recorded so a quick spin around the two cul-de-sacs down the road made it a neat 30. :okay:

Home and a tad frustrated but still I made it to the top and I still have a target to aim for!!

Screen Shot 2016-07-21 at 22.09.25.png

https://www.strava.com/activities/648561104
https

30.0 miles and 3,156ft of climbing

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Holme Moss beat me today :sad:

There I've said it and feel better :smile: More on this later...

I've been wanting to get back up Holme Moss on the bike for a while so today it was! I woke up this morning with what I can only describe as achy legs (maybe it was the day in the garden yesterday; the warm weather or something else?) Anyways, I delayed my departure until this PM having taken on plenty of fluids and packing my jersey with food; jelly babies; drink etc.

Slightly overcast today but certainly warm still and the wind was quite warm!

Up out of the village and then down into Holmfirth via New Mill and then left heading towards Holmbridge then up the steep road heading into Holme.

As the road flattened out Holme Moss reveals itself in all of its glory as a lovely backdrop with the pub on the right (so tempting!) A quick photo, drink and breather then I was off again!

View attachment 135668

On through Lane which is a hamlet of around 5 houses and a farm before the slight dip then the sweeping left hand bend up the hill - here we go!

Round the first couple of bends then on the first 'long' stretch. It was here that my legs were shouting at me and as much as I shouted back I couldn't get them to do what I wanted and so, I had to stop :sad: This was really disappointing for me as I had planned to get up to the top in one go (something I hadn't done before on my previous two attempts)

A quick breather and off again only to suffer the same on the next stretch where I got off the bike and had a drink and a few jelly babies (more for comfort than anything else!!). I accepted at this point that the climb was going to be in stages but none the less it would be climbed.

The last half mile was actually OK and grinding away I got to the top and past the car park which isn't the top and onto the gravelled area where the sign is - ideal for a photo opportunity!!

View attachment 135669

A quick descent to the car park to take in the views before getting back on the bike and whizzing down the hill - wheeee! Now I'm not the bravest of descenders but I did enjoy this one - according to Strava/Garmin I hit the heady speed of 45.9 mph but with plenty of braking for the tight bends then safely back into Lane/Holmbridge the way I came.

As I came into Hinchcliffe I peeled right and up Dobb Lane/Acre Lane, a more scenic climb back rather than going through Holmfirth and the busy roads. A lovely climb up the hill for three or four miles before coming to the main Dunford Road. Here I took a right on more familiar territory heading down past Winscar Reservoir, through Townhead and Carlecotes before a left and up the road past The Fox House and then right onto Bedding Edge Road.

I had thought of heading straight home here but I wanted to make up for my earlier disappointment and put some more miles in so across the main road then right to do my regular loop around the windmills. I was pleased/suprised that I managed to get a PR up the short/steep climb to Royds viewing platform before heading back on Broadstones towards home.

When I got home, on the drive, I realised I had 29.7 miles recorded so a quick spin around the two cul-de-sacs down the road made it a neat 30. :okay:

Home and a tad frustrated but still I made it to the top and I still have a target to aim for!!

View attachment 135666

https://www.strava.com/activities/648561104/segments/15862364227

30.0 miles and 3,156ft of climbing
Keep it up - you'll crack it in the end! :bravo:

I have a varied history on that climb ... the first few times I had a similar experience to you. Then I managed to do it in one go, but grovelled all the way. Eventually I tackled it when I was fit and wondered why I had found it so hard! These days I am back to finding it tough going.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Time to have a ride with the GV boys. So off down to the Forest I went yesterday evening. 10 or so of us out. We took an unusual route out to May Hill. Rain had begun tho'. One of those not too bad rains at first but it just kept getting heavier in a sneak up on you way. So we ended up with a soaking. Thankfully it was warm. Martin had had the prescience to have his mudguards on. The rest of us were sending great arcs of spray out the back. We rounded by Blackwells End to take a standard run back from Tibberton. Chats and pints in the pub after meant we got wet inside too. 35 miles

Alex H

Legendary Member
A bit of foreign culture today, with a ride to the centre of Limoges. As you can see from the route below, I chose the easy way to go and the hard, but very shaded way to come back :smile:. On the way to Saint Brice I saw a train :hyper:, but it was too quick to get a photo. The traffic in Limoges was virtually non-existent, considering it was 10:00 when I arrived. I headed for the old quarter behind the cathedral, where the Irish pub was decorated for the TdF.

P7220267.jpg

The cathedral itself is huge and so 2 photos are required :rolleyes:

P7220269.jpg

P7220270.jpg

Now for the cultural bit. the Musée des Beaux Arts (Museum of Fine Art) beside the cathedral is hosting a sculpture exhibition in the park surrounding it by the French artist Marc Petit.

Now, I don't know much about art, but I know what I like and I don't like this:stop:

P7220272.jpg

P7220273.jpg

In the park there are 74 sculptures like this :eek:

Obligatory shot of bike against a wall - with fountain!

P7220275.jpg

Museum and cathedral

P7220278.jpg

Shady road on the way back

P7220280.jpg

One of the few places where you can see the river from the road.

P7220282.jpg

Route

Screenshot from 2016-07-22 14:09:55.png

88km in 4 hours and a bit - 1248m of climbing

Old jon

Guru
A well worn trip around West Yorkshire today. Holbeck and Hunslet, John O’ Gaunts and Woodlesford. Cross both canal and river and ride through Swillington. Turn right at the Garforth roundabout, I am going to ride up the cliff. Keep on the A 63 through Peckfield Bar, another tiny place, and all the way along to the B 1222 for Sherburn in Elmet. Turn left at the lights and follow the road to Barkston Ash, where another left turn takes you to Saxton.

To the right of the road, before the village is reached, is the site of a significant battle on the day before the big one at Towton. A group of horsemen, the ‘Flower of Craven’ were chased from Ferrybridge, caught and slaughtered just east of Saxton by the Yorkist forces. Things were a bit abrupt in those days, I guess.

No fights for Jon, I just continued past Lotherton Gates, and the usual Aberford, Barwick, Scholes ( mostly gravel free ), three lanes to the A 58 and a celebratory whizzz down Boot Hill before the traverse of the rest of Leeds to take me home. A grand total of 35.7 rather warm miles today, much enjoyed.

The ( almost ) round trip

22072016.jpg

eggman

[Admin edit: Part 1 of the thread can be found here: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/your-ride-today-part-1.8938]

First 100km ride of the year, but more importantly my first ride since being diagnosed with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (a type of lung disease)
Lately when out on the bike I was having trouble getting up hills, I've never been the quickest up hills but was noticeably slower and I was having real trouble breathing. I thought I had a chest infection so I went to the docs.
Doc said chest was clear, no infection but as I was having pains best go for an x-ray to rule out the big C. That came back clear so then it was a spirometry test. This came back with this C.O.P.D. Basically the airwaves in my lungs tighten up and I can't exhale a lung full of air, meaning the next breath I take in isn't enough air so I have trouble breathing while pushing myself (i.e cycling up hills)
It's my own fault. I smoked. For 25 years. No one else to blame but myself. Doc said it was a mild form of the disease, it comes in 3 stages mild, medium, severe. Severe being life threatening. She said giving up smoking 4 years ago and starting to cycle was the best thing I could of done. She also said the disease won't go away, it won't get any worse, but won't get better. Treatment is limited, Inhalers is about it. I have 2, a preventative one (steroid) to be taken twice a day and a reliever to use as and when I need it.
I asked the doc about cycling. "Be careful in winter, listen to your body. If you can, cover your face, the cold air won't do you any good" she said
I've been a bit down over the last week, took some time off work to try and get my head around it. I didn't know when I was going to be back in the saddle, if I would at all. Could I cycle 6 miles, let alone 60. Should I stop riding with my mates, I don't want them waiting for me every time they got to the top of a bloody hill.
So last week I didn't go out on the Sunday, and in the week I spoke to my cycling buddies and they said don't be stupid, come out. Your pretty fast on the flats, if you want, go off ahead near a hill and we'll catch you up, no one waits.
Today I woke up and was supposed to be meeting my mates. I didn't want to. It was cold, I hadn't been out for a few weeks. Didn't want to hold my mates up. The wife said go, even if you get two miles up the road and can't carry on you've tried, you won't know until you've tried. She was right, I was putting off what I needed to do. I'm so glad she gave me a kick up the backside (and she threatened a shopping trip if I didn't go!)
I'm glad I did, I had a great ride. It was a couple of degrees above freezing, I was wrapped up, the buff over my face really worked, the air wasn't cold to breathe. The only times I took it off was to go up hill. I was out in front a lot. I really pushed myself to see what I could do. I was surprised at my effort, as were my mates. "I thought you were supposed to be ill" I heard @toptom say behind me! I gained some distance as we approached a hill and they caught me up as we reached the top. No waiting. Don't get me wrong, it was hard but I was enjoying it.
We set out from Hemel towards Chesham and then up to Gt. Missenden. The lanes were icy, the B roads were clear with a few ice patches at the sides of the road. I hit 43 mph down hill so my first over 40 for the year.
We headed toward Chequers, Mr Cameron's country retreat where the roads are littered with "no to HS2" signs. As we cycled past the entrance I gave Dave a two fingered wave at the security cameras much to the amusement of a cyclist going the other way. It was starting to warm up a bit, the red kites were circling overhead looking for sunday breakfast. We were back in the lanes to Stoke Mandeville and then B roads to Tring, it was mostly flat and we kept a good pace
A coffee stop after 30 miles in Tring where we've stopped a thousand times. Hemel cycling club were just leaving and the table by the fire was free. We decided which way to head back, Tom mentioned up the beacon ( i'm sure he wants to see me suffer!) As we approached the beacon he said instead of going up how do you feel about going around it and making the ride a 100km.
I felt good, was pleased with how the ride was going so agreed. I new a hill was about two miles ahead so put my foot down, I looked behind and had made good ground. I span up the hill and heard Tom approaching. We both made it to the top at the same time. Just had to wait for our other mate to catch up.
Back in the lanes towards Redborn. Dave left us as we went around the back of Hemel as he was flagging a bit. We had 20 miles to go and took the fast road from Redborn to St.Albans. I was out in front but about half way asked Tom if he would go out as I was struggling a little as we were into the wind. This worked and we were both up the last hill of the day (cheers for that Tom)
We picked up the lanes back to Hemel and cycled around the back of the industrial estate where I left Tom and had 4 miles to make the 100k. A bit of "round the houses" and I was 20 yards from home when I had a rear puncture! I lent over the bars to the front door and was home.
I needed that today. It sorted my head out. I was a bit emotional as I walked in, and am now as i type this. But I'm back. Cycling. Where I should be. Thanks to Tom and Dave for today, and thanks CC'ers for reading this. I know its gone off a bit from "your ride today" but a week ago I didn't think I'd be riding at all.

View attachment 77922

63 miles at 15.9 mph average. I'm happy with that.

Well done. Have a Blue Peter GOLD medal. You deserve it. Truly awesome.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Two rides to report - both post work excursions, one from Monday and the other from tonight.

The familiar route down to Cross Gates, up the hill to Austhorpe, then NCN R66 down Barrowby Lane, across the office park and the bridleway almost all the way to Garforth, then returning via Nanny Goat Lane and the bridleway to Manston Lane. All good fun and nearly all either off road or on very quiet roads.
Just what I need after a hectic day at work.

Now here's a funny thing - exactly the same route yet Mr Garmin tells me that on Monday I did 9.15 miles, while tonight I only did 9.09 miles and I lost a bit of ascent too. How very odd...:wacko:

Monday 9.15 miles (14.72km) in 43m 7s at an average of 12.7mph with 380.5ft climbed
Thursday 9.09 miles (14.62km) in 42m 47s at an average of 12.7mph with 364.1ft climbed

Mondays map:
View attachment 135655
Tonights map (I changed the map style so you could tell them apart) ^_^
View attachment 135656

Anyhow, I was out on the bike so it's all good. Quite a lot of cyclists out on Monday but only saw a couple tonight despite it being roughly the same time of day. Loads of blooming horse poo on the bridleways though!

In the words of the song (almost):
"Here I go again on my own, riding down the only road I've ever known" - well not strictly true as I know lots of roads, but for a work night wind down this route ticks all the boxes. A lot of off road away from the dreg end of the rush hour zombies and with a couple of short exceptions, all the roads I do take are quiet.

So, on the hybrid and Cross Gates, Austhorpe, then NCN R66 through Thorp Park, over the M1 and all the way down to Garforth, before returning via Nanny Goat Lane and the bridleway to Manston Lane, then Pendas Fields and up to home for in time for tea. Sadly no lashings of ginger beer though.

You might recall that there was a slight difference of opinion (as Geoffrey Wheeler used to say) regarding stats - well tonight was no different:
Monday 9.15 miles (14.72km) in 43m 7s at an average of 12.7mph with 380.5ft climbed
Thursday 9.09 miles (14.62km) in 42m 47s at an average of 12.7mph with 364.1ft climbed

Friday 9.14 miles (14.70km) in 41m 22s at an average of 13.3mph with 374ft climbed. So, I'm getting faster if nothing else, even if the hills are changing shape on a daily basis - must the the summer heat as by heck it was humid tonight.

And while the route is familiar, no two rides are ever the same are they?

Meanwhile here is tonights map, in a different style again so you can tell it apart:
22072016.JPG

Virtually zero chance of a ride tomorrow, so here's hoping all bodes well for Sunday and a morning out on the road bike

BSRU

A Human Being
An excellent 102km ride with 1,100 metres of going up:okay:.
A ride up to Withington, north of Cirencester, flat to Cirencester(30km) then lots of going up and down:sweat:, then back to Swindon with the last 15km flat again.
All three private segments in the hilly bit were faster than I've done before, a 10km drag with 150m of going up plus two short sharp climbs, 1km at 9%(0.25km of +15%) and 0.5km at 10%.
Started off cloudy but warm, took note of the forecast and slapped the sun cream on which was definitely needed when the sun came out:sun::heat:.
Also took lots of water, 4 water bottles, only half a bottle left at the end:sweat:, but felt very good at the end.

An old Dennis fire engine:smile:.
C0002(1).png

Reasonably hilly north of Cirencester:bicycle:
C0008(2).jpg

Looks cool:becool:.
C0001(2).png

Started recovery with some angel cake, quite alot:whistle:.

gavgav

Guru
Finally got my 50k ride for July in, after work.

Checked the rain radar, due to showers being forecast and it looked mostly ok, so out I went. Took the cycle paths up to Shelton and then out onto the very busy main road to Montford Bridge. Not for the feint hearted this one, especially during rush hour on the first weekend of the summer holidays. It was like the M6 today, both in volume and speed of the traffic, but only one close pass which was good considering what it can be like.

I was glad to turn off and down the lanes to Shrawardine, Pentre and past the Royal Hill pub which was heaving with drinkers and campers in the fields. Busy weekend ahead there.

By now there were some very black clouds starting to gather and I feared I could be about to get wet. Pressed on to Cross Lanes and then onto very wet roads to Argoed and Kinnerley, spooking a lone sheep who was chewing the verge, so must have been raining there. Timed it right and missed it though.

Climbed up Dovaston Bank and then turned down the lovely quiet lanes to Wilcott and then back around to Shrawardine, to retrace my steps home. The main road was still busy with traffic doing ridiculous speeds, but only 1 close pass again and as I got back to Shelton for the last 2 miles the lanes were swimming with water and I'd obviously avoided another heavy shower! It's normally the other way round and so I was happy with that :smile:

The new brake pads were great @Rickshaw Phil

32.5 miles

Top Bottom