Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Very nice little bimble this morning on the Brompton to get the mop chopped, amazing how a grade 2 all over works to cool one's swede:laugh:
Tonights ride into work was a belter, 34 degrees:sun::sun: Cold shower on arrival was bliss.

Also discovered why last nights ride home was such hard work, rear disc brake was dragging, so spinning wheel up by hand it only managed half a rotation before stopping...Sorted now

Last edited:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
First ride post broken hip and arm...5.6km on the hybrid...great to be back on the bike.....first ride since the begining if May.....
Well done! Are all bones working as hoped? :smile:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Got talked into going along on an Eastgate Cycles outing tonight. They never mentioned Glasshouse Hill. Ended up thoroughly enjoying the ride and the company, and once we had got past Glasshouse we retired to the beer garden of the Red Lion at Huntley for a nice cold pint. Nice to meet up with @Frazzle again, and to ride with a decent crowd that I already knew. Much cooler tonight ... almost perfect cycling conditions. Sunny and mild, with a nice cool breeze. Another 35.2 miles done, finishing after sundown with the lights on. Loved it.

Went out for an early ride yesterday - left about 6.20 so early for me and did on St Ann's Hill (4x) and some intervals
Battery in Garmin Vector needs replacing
27.56 miles done, @ 15.9 mph
820 feet climbed

Back home by about 8.20 am

Things to do in the rest of the day (My ailing Mum's birthday)
Weather stayed cooler in the morning but afternoon was nearly as hot as yesterday

https://www.strava.com/activities/647065646

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Nice pre work 13 miles this morning along to Sywell Airport to try and see the "Bike powered flight" that @PeteXXX told me about last night but as feared all gate were locked , but could see machine and a group of people hanging around on the airfield .

So carried on my loop via Sywell Village , Mears Ashby ,Earle Barton ,Grt Doddington and home bit cooler as well so that was nice

PeteXXX

Yesterdays and this mornings rides, with a theme running through them.

After an hospital appointment in the morning, I had to wait until later in the day to get out for a pedal as I had had the joy of anaesthetic and dilating eye drops poured into my eyes, so they were extremely light sensitive, even wearing my Stevie Wonder wraparound Ray-Bans! By mid afternoonish they were getting nearer to normal so I managed to get moving.

I headed around some of the local lanes towards Sywell Aerodrome where I was just in time to see a Spitfire taking off.

IMG_20160720_164345.jpg

Most impressive to be that close, and to hear the Merlin engine roar, as it taxied to the runway. When I was there, a chap told me about the bicycle powered aircraft 'meet' going on. I checked the website when I was home and found that they were flying at 05:00. <yawn>

From there, I decided on a circuit of Pitsford Reservoir to eat some flies..

DSC_0620.JPG

Unusually, there weren't many people there yesterday. Maybe because it was so hot. Still,it was nice have the place to myself for a change.
I then rode back via Moulton village then to No1 daughters house to collect my granddaughter so we could ride back to my house for tea. This served the purpose of getting her bike here as we are planning a ride this afternoon.

A nice 21 miles in very hot heat!

https://www.strava.com/activities/647450818

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Todays ride involved me being up at stupid o'clock ie: 03:45 (!!!!) to ride to Sywell Aerodrome to watch some bicycle powered aircraft take off. I was slightly early, so added a few miles at the beginning to save standing around in the chill of the dawn on the airfield.

As @biggs682 said above, the car park gates were locked up, so I wandered onto the airfield through the hotel/bar entrance with some of the flying enthusiasts, carrying my bike and looking as though I was supposed to be there. I then did the same to get airside. :whistle:

DSC_0627.jpg

My old British Eagle and one of the aircraft about to be towed to the launch area.

IMG_20160721_070350.jpg

Pre-flight checks. This one didn't quite get off the ground, but made a valiant effort. Judging by the speed the chaps legs were moving at, I reckon he'd be better with a lower gear!

IMG_20160721_065721.jpg

Airbourne, but not for long. This was the crafts maiden flight, so I felt honoured to have been there and seen it.

Back home via Court Farm on 10 miles, at about 07:00 to have a bacon sarnie and a cuppa.

https://www.strava.com/activities/648141624

:smile:

PeteXXX

Nice pre work 13 miles this morning along to Sywell Airport to try and see the "Bike powered flight" that @PeteXXX told me about last night but as feared all gate were locked , but could see machine and a group of people hanging around on the airfield .

So carried on my loop via Sywell Village , Mears Ashby ,Earle Barton ,Grt Doddington and home bit cooler as well so that was nice
I was one of that group of people hanging around ^_^

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Day off in lieu today and after the heatwave of the last few days, todays weather looks perfik.
Peterborough, Elton, Wansford, stop for a fry up at Kings Cliffe industrial estate café, very very good and quite cheap if you're ever out there, Blatherwyke, Bulwick, Southwick, Fotheringhay, Elton and back home to give me just shy of 40 miles.
Quiet out there...the usual wildlife, buzzards circling high on the thermals, odd yellowhammer and green woodpecker etc etc.
Looked perfect, it was perfect.

Old jon

Guru
A cooler day, just. The Holbeck hiatus delivered me to the towpath at Office Lock, on my way to Lawnswood by way of Viaduct and Cardigan Roads and a wander through Headingley. I thought things were quiet, then realised that most of the University students have likely gone home now, and as I climbed towards the Ring Road the outdoor café customers were certainly of an older generation than a fortnight ago . . .

On towards Bramhope, the ex bike shop is also a café now, with an older clientele. Turn right in Bramhope onto Creskeld Lane, got to have my downhill fix every now and again. Turn left at the bottom and along the A 659 to Pool, where I crossed the River Wharfe and continued towards Harrogate until I reached the Leathley turn off. I then crossed my next river, the Washburn, at Leathley Bridge and started the climb up to Farnley just as the sun came out from behind the clouds. I stopped by the 1672 gatehouse for fuel and started wondering about the origins of Farnley Hall. Hmmm, anyway, fuelled up and ready to go, straight down the hill into Otley. Not exactly straight, mind.

After all that excitement, I thought a calming ride along Leeds Road was a good idea. Vague thoughts of turning right in Bramhope were soon forgotten, so the A 660 all the way to Headingley and the usual diversion via Kirkstall to add up 31 miles when I returned to my front door.
A very nice not so gentle potter around, demonstrated on the Garmin made map.

21072016.jpg

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Two rides to report - both post work excursions, one from Monday and the other from tonight.

The familiar route down to Cross Gates, up the hill to Austhorpe, then NCN R66 down Barrowby Lane, across the office park and the bridleway almost all the way to Garforth, then returning via Nanny Goat Lane and the bridleway to Manston Lane. All good fun and nearly all either off road or on very quiet roads.
Just what I need after a hectic day at work.

Now here's a funny thing - exactly the same route yet Mr Garmin tells me that on Monday I did 9.15 miles, while tonight I only did 9.09 miles and I lost a bit of ascent too. How very odd...:wacko:

Monday 9.15 miles (14.72km) in 43m 7s at an average of 12.7mph with 380.5ft climbed
Thursday 9.09 miles (14.62km) in 42m 47s at an average of 12.7mph with 364.1ft climbed

Mondays map:
18072016.jpg

Tonights map (I changed the map style so you could tell them apart) ^_^
21072016.jpg

Anyhow, I was out on the bike so it's all good. Quite a lot of cyclists out on Monday but only saw a couple tonight despite it being roughly the same time of day. Loads of blooming horse poo on the bridleways though!

gavgav

Guru
After yesterday's brake issues, I headed up to @Rickshaw Phil for him to provide his expert opinion.

Rode the bike for the 2 miles up to Phil's, mostly uphill and so not much need for the brakes.

Rear wheel removed, pads removed and Phil finds the issue pretty quickly, I'd worn the one pad down to the metal!! :stop:

We nipped to Halfords, found one set of pads on the shelf, asked the lad if they had another set, which he found in a draw, despite the computer saying they only had the 1 set (they had 3:laugh:) good stock control there :wacko:

Back to Phil's and he had the new ones fitted in next to no time. Quick spin around the village, and they were fine, much more responsive!

Quick chat to Phil and the family and then a speedy descent back home, where I was passed way too close on virtually the only road section of the ride by an idiot doing way over the 40mph speed limit :thumbsdown:

5.4 miles and much thanks to @Rickshaw Phil for his services :okay:

Couple of rides today.

First a morning run down the A10 and then a bash along the Cam cycle path and managed to bag a (joint) KOM.

https://www.strava.com/activities/648193431

So the return leg was a more steady ride back along the twenty pence road and back in to Ely via Wilburton.

https://www.strava.com/activities/648829349

Last of the hard rides so easy ride out tomorrow with the better half and then a long steady run on Saturday before tapering down next week before Ride London.

Top Bottom