Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I've been away for a few weeks so I really need to get some miles in. The problem with living in a hilly area is you live in fear of losing hard-won fitness and having to "start again", puffing up the hills

Forecast was good so planned a 60 mile ride. But when I got up the forecast had changed. Heavy rain at lunchtime. So I shortened it to about 30 miles and off I went. Glossop - Stalybridge - Uppermill - Diggle - Uppermill - Glossop

Rather warm and sweaty. A couple of cooling showers but, guess what? The heavy rain never materialised. Loads of cyclist out and about. Beyond Uppermill there are three villages; Diggle, Delph and Denshaw. The local junior football team is called 3D Dynamos. I managed the fairly tough climb out of Diggle but I could tell that a bit of my hard-won fitness had been lost. You can see the village in the background

20160724_111126.jpg

On the way back caught a guy near Glossop. A quick chat and it transpired he hadn't been on the bike for 3 months and had never cycled in my local area before. "Is it quite hilly?" he asked. Hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Dave 123

Legendary Member
A nice treat for me today, a ride with my little boy! We were heading for my nephews house in Sawbridgeworth.
I knew I wasn't riding well as his arse disappeared up over Chapel Hill, nothing I could do. This is the first time he's beat me up it!
Out over the A603 and on to Barley and Barkway, can't remember it being this hilly! Again Thomas skinned me on a long, slogger of a hill, but eventually I reeled him in.
image.jpeg

We spent most of the ride in a headwind, Paul should move to the North East of Cambridge!

Into Stocking Pelham and the signage dried up! A bit of guess work and luck had us back on track. Eventually!
image.jpeg

A lot of the ride was spent with this view ^^^

We found our way weaving through chocolate box villages until we arrived in Much Hadham, we stopped for a drink at the shop.

image.jpeg

We set off again to a similar view! Out the back of Much Hadham, over the ford via the bridge and up the hill, 12% registered on my garmin. By now the boy wonder had faded, the old git had his moment in the sun!

Once on the top we went through Green Tye and down into Sawbridgeworth.
44 miles. I felt rubbish today but I really enjoy a ride with the boy!

https://www.strava.com/activities/651872078

image.jpeg

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I'm not one for morning rides other than commuting, let alone on a Sunday when I'm normally either working or at Silverstone, Brands or Sneterton. However with nothing worth seeing today and the WEC and F1 on TV in the afternoon, I somehow dragged myself out of the house at 9:30(ish) for a spin into the South Suffolk & North East Essex countryside.

Out and up one side of the River Orwell via the Levington & Nacton back road to Ipswich, then down the other side of the Orwell, under the Orwell Bridge and on to Holbrook and Alton Water, up to East Bergholt and back down to Maningtree, before heading back up again to the Dedham Vale area and home via Stratford St. Mary, Hintlesham and round the north of Ipswich.

Beautiful morning to be out in - nice & warm, sunshine & light winds - and I didn't realise that so many others would be out as well. As an added bonus the 62.99 miles means that I've got a 100K in for July.

https://www.strava.com/activities/651759776

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
For the first time, I actually lay awake last night worrying about my next day's ride. It was billed as our next combined club ride for Kingsway CC and Caerphilly CC, held on neutral ground starting in Monmouth. They called it the "Steady Group" ride, but it looked to be the toughest ride of my life, and I didn't want to flounder and hold everyone up. I've done plenty of 100km (62 mile) rides over the past few years, and I've ridden up a few mountains. What I had never done before was combine a long ride with a big mountain.
Turned up in good time at the old bridge in Monmouth only to find that none of the riders from the other club were doing the "Steady" ride, so just the four of us from Gloucester. That made it easier, as we all know each others limits.
188.JPG

Got off to a bad start, when Glenn's rear wheel developed spoke problems after two miles, and he decided to nip back to Gloucester for his other bike. We arranged to meet up in Crickhowell when he returned. Five miles later, his wife Claire had a puncture. Then it started raining, and I had gambled on not bringing a jacket. After a lumpy first 30(ish) miles from Monmouth to Crickhowell, via Pandy, Glenn turned up in time to join us for a cafe break and to take on the beast that is Llangynidr Mountain. Another 400 metres of climbing for our weary legs. Three of us made it to the very top, though I did stop twice on the way up.
Claire decided to take a group selfie at the false summit, but was having trouble fitting me in ... so I duly obliged.
190.jpg

It was a long, slow drag, and we experienced all four seasons in the space of half an hour, but it felt great to make it to the top. Rich was way faster than me, but when you look at the size of us, I suppose that was to be expected:The weather was closing in by now.
191.JPG

Glenn and Claire decided to drive home once they got back down to Crickhowell, leaving Rich and me to do the next 25 miles and finish the ride on our own.
Experienced an amazing descent that looked for all the world like a climb just when we least needed another one ... only to find my speed creeping up from 27 to 28, to 30, to 33. A truly strange optical illusion, presumably caused by the extremely steep start to the descent, followed by a slight levelling out. Made it back to Monmouth, via a pub stop in Abergavenny, having done 60.2 miles and a 400 metre mountain. Needn't have worried. Loved the whole thing. Whether I will be able to move tomorrow, however, remains in doubt.
Cheers, Donger.

Todays ride was the regular 28 mile circuit in reverse. 10 miles of downhill then 18 back up.

Discovered the wonders of energy bars, so no migraine near home like last time.

Met lots of people. Although TPT very overgrown and narrow in places, just about every pass, whether I pulled over or they did was friendly and smiling.
More proof that a bell gets negative results.
3 old boys that stood aside and left dogs stood in middle of the path expecting to create an altercation (yes I saw the looks) defused by just going round the manky critters with a smile and thank you.

Sausage sandwich and coffee at Elsecar Heritage Centre was ace!

Couple of rides over the week-end.

First was a last long(ish) run on Saturday before next week-ends Ride London/Surrey 100;part 1 was a roll with the easy group on the club ride to La Hogue in Chippenham,then solo via Cambridge(well Fen Ditton) to C6 bikes on the A10 to pick up some bits and then back via Twenty pence road with a Haddenham/Earith loop before heading home.

Some pics of the cafe stop at La Hogue;very busy with cyclists,we had two good sized groups and some of the Newmarket guys and gals were there too;

IMG_20160723_103636832_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160723_103523656.jpg

A good 120kms at a steady pace and despite the heat and my sinuses playing up didn't feel too bad.

https://www.strava.com/activities/650615793

Yesterday was a little ride out with the better half and a good recovery ride for me;out early before it got too warm.

Other half was a bit annoyed that the detour to the centre of Ely pulled down her average a bit:rolleyes:,amazing what having a read out in front of you does^_^.I got a freebie Lezyne mini gps with Cycling+ so perfect for her to use at the moment,think a better Garmin one will be on the cards though at some point though.

As I said a little detour in Ely to get some nice Portugese style custard tarts from the Brown Bread stall that's in Ely on Saturdays and Sundays;went down nicely with a coffee when we got back.

https://www.strava.com/activities/651489491

Last edited:

rugby bloke

Veteran
Final Sunday ride before RideLondon - headed out on one of my favorite routes, taking in the charms of Olney, Salcey Forest and Stoke Bruene. Lots of cyclists out, I think the "hello and wave" factor must have been well into the 90% range. Overtaken by an old boy on an electric bike at towards the end, he seemed almost apologetic, to be fair I was only cruising at that stage so an overtake was perfectly acceptable. Weather stayed nice for the whole ride, a bit of a sharp weaterly, but plenty of sunshine as well.

Legs feeling good, so bring on the big one next Sunday.

upload_2016-7-25_8-51-36.png

https://www.strava.com/activities/651695165

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
A new spot to start from for the GV boys last night. Weston Cross is closer for me so I joined 10 others. James was our leader and he had a super plan. We took to the run along the Wye by Hole-in-the-Wall. One of the little gems is this lane. Unfortunately Ade's chain got bent as he attempted a gear change for the climb to Capler Camp. He had to abandon. It had been quite some time since I'd climbed Capler Camp. The view over the Wye from the top was as excellent as ever.

While chatting with James I mentioned the Haugh Wood climb. I haven't done that one for an age either. So James put it into his plan. Yikes! It's still tough. That brought us back to Fownhope after James had a puncture. But now we crossed the Wye and headed for Hereford to take to some roads I didn't know. Plenty more uphill came along. Indeed we went down a long way only to find we had to go back up.

I began to realise that I was back to roads I'm familiar with as we dropped to Hoarwithy. Jon punctured. Time was getting on tho' so we left James to help him. Darkness was approaching and not many lights were being carried. They both showed up not long after in the Pub. Ade had made it out to the Pub too. All's well that ends well. 42 miles

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Weather a bit overcast today but went ahead with my ride from Betws y Coed to Beddgelert, 35 miles return. When I got to Capel Currig the road goes right to Bethesda and left to Beddgelert so I followed that one for a few miles until you get to a fork that goes right over the Llanberis Pass and straight on to Beddgelert. It is a this point that the road stops going up slightly and starts going down quite sharply. I hesitated for a second as I was thinking about coming back and having to deal with that mountain climb! But I got that far so I pushed ahead and would worry about the way back when it comes. As the road is quite narrow there , I was following the cars at a speed of 35mph , negotiating the bends and sh*****g myself as the brakes on my Cube are not fantastic. I kept thinking: " If I come off now, I am dead!!" Anyway, made it to the bottom and got into Beddgelert a few miles further on . The place was packed with tourists so couldn't stop for a drink and cake. I turned my bike around and started heading back . Luckily, before tackling up the mountain, I found a little café and stopped for a cuppa and a piece of cake and off I went again. By then, there was a bit of a drizzle and everything was wet. As I got to the bottom of the climb ( about 2 miles long) I chose the granny gear ( 30x32)and kept turning those pedals. I was pleasantly surprised to see that I was making steady progress without getting tired. About 200 metres from the top, I stopped at a viewing area to put my rain jacket on and had a few jelly babies. After reaching the top, of course the road went downhill and the bike speeded up, in the rain and me sh****g myself again, worrying about the front wheel giving way on the bends! Luckily, it all went well and reached back Bewts y Coed and the safety of my car. Stats are: Elevation: 1833ft, cycling time: 3h10. Average speed: 11.1mph ( that bloody mountain slowed me right down) and 35.3 miles covered.
When I got home, my wife had made some scones. Great!!
WP_20160725_006.jpg
WP_20160725_002.jpg
WP_20160725_004.jpg

Old jon

Guru
Ooops, I got this wrong today

25072016.jpg

A frill or two added to a more or less ordinary ride out today. There was a brisk breeze this morning with a bit of an edge to it, as I rode along the towpath to Viaduct Road the wind was in my face. It is such a steep sided valley that it is very unusual to suffer a cross wind there. Climbing Cardigan Road also gives little idea of wind direction, but it does tell me my legs hurt. Through Headingley, across the Ring Road at Lawnswood and turn right at the lights onto Church Lane. Across Adel dam and take the next left to pass the eastern side of Golden Acre Park. After a bit more uphill the road drops ( 20% in places ) down Black Hill Road. I have descended this hill quicker, but not with a hog in the way.

Reach the bottom and turn left for Otley. Stoke the boiler, consider options and decide on the easy way home, A 660 to Headingley, detour through a bit of Kirkstall and complete 30.9 miles back to my front door. Super stuff.

Top Bottom