Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Katherine

Guru
IMG_20160725_175148185.jpg

IMG_20160725_174812075.jpg

I've hired a bike on holiday in Cornwall and today I rode up, down, around and through, Marazion, Penzance, Newlyn, Mousehole. I managed to avoid the A30 and enjoyed the hills and the Cornish lanes. The bike was reasonably comfortable and I'm intending to go out early tomorrow for a longer ride before the roads get busy and before I take the bike back.

Easy ride in to work today down the A10;just the right temp with a slight headwind and managed a mostly zone 1 ride;

https://www.strava.com/activities/653738193

Tomorrow off again,might ride in Thursday and a roll out on Friday before Sunday's 100.

rugby bloke

Veteran
Final training ride before RideLondon. Nothing too fancy, a nice spin around one of my favorite loops. 22 miles, 781 feet of rolling (not hilly enough to call it climbing !). Came back along the route I used to ride to the doctor's surgery in the days when I was not allowed to drive. It amazes me how much easier and quicker it now feels.

Flapjack is baked, bike is fully fettled, bring on the big day.

upload_2016-7-26_8-59-18.png

https://www.strava.com/activities/653337298

Katherine

Guru
IMG_20160726_101853014.jpg

A 32 mile loop to Lands End from Marazion. Out the slow way, Penzance, Newlyn, Mousehole, Porthcurno, Lands End. Some trick climbs and descents but all enjoyable. It's amazing how much more you see on 2 wheels than 4. I stopped when I saw an ancient buriel chamber quite close to the road.

Back on the faster A30 straight to Penzance which wasn't that busy late morning. Back by 11.30. I pulled over a couple of times on the narrow bits to let the traffic past. In the last 2 days of cycling down this end of Cornwall I've only experienced extremely courteous driving. 56 miles in 2 days. Next time I hire the bike I'm hoping to do the longer loop to St. Ives which will be busier however early I leave.

Last edited:

rugby bloke

Veteran
In the last 2 days of cycling down this end of Cornwall I've only experienced extremely courteous driving. 56 miles in 2 days. Next time I hire the bike I'm hoping to do the longer loop to St. Ives which will be busier however early I leave.
Its good to hear a positive story about cycling in Cornwall. I'm thinking about taking a bike down when we go on holiday next month, but I'm put off by the thought of steep climbs and busy narrow roads.

Brandane

Legendary Member
A 3 day ride from Morecambe to Bridlington, "The Way of the Roses"......

Last Wednesday I was twiddling my thumbs a bit; no work scheduled and a rotten weather forecast locally for the weekend - so I explored the possibility of going and doing the WOTR from west to east (having done it in the opposite direction a few years ago). Reasonable weather forecast? Check. Favourable wind direction? Check. Bike ready? Check. Last problem, the logistics of getting there and back. Had a look on redspottedhanky.com and was very pleasantly surprised to find that I could book an advance single for the following day (last Thursday, 21st July) from Largs to Morecambe for £14.. Wow; a single to Glasgow is normally about £10. I also got an advance single from York back to Largs, booked for today, for about £24. Maybe I was just lucky on this occasion because previously I have found train fares to be the major obstacle to planning further cycle adventures. Anyway, I digress....

Arrived in Morecambe at lunchtime on Thursday after a pleasant train journey down on Trans Pennine trains (the Glasgow to Manchester airport service). My plan was just to do a few miles on the Thursday afternoon, after the obligatory photo of the Ridgeback at the start point:

WP_20160721_14_00_02_Pro_zpsojrimggs.jpg

I found myself boosted by the slight breeze at my back, and the good weather. Ideal for cycling, so I kept going a little further than planned until I found a campsite at Austwick. The clincher was a good local pub where I had a few pints and since it was "steak night" I had a sirloin with the usual accompaniments. Must mention the fact that when I unrolled my tent at Austwick, I found a ground sheet wrapped up inside the roll :rolleyes:, the one upon which this thread was based. So now I had an extra groundsheet to carry for 170 miles! Essential kit for forgetful nobbers, 2 groundsheets (at least they are small - and light):

WP_20160725_09_27_31_Pro_zpskwmfe0qb.jpg

Next day (Friday) the weather was hot and sunny; and this was a day with a few big climbs. Out of Settle was one of them, and Burnsall (??) another. Not sure if that was the name of the town, but it was this place, nice and picturesque:

WP_20160722_13_55_37_Pro_zpschj2njcy.jpg

By the time I reached Pately Bridge, the heat and hills had worn me out; so another campsite was found for the night, a pleasant but busy place on the riverside. Dinner was fish and chips out of the local chippy, and an early night.

Due to the early to bed on Friday night, I was awake stupidly early on Saturday morning. I decided to get up and away and do the climb out of Pately Bridge before it got too warm. This proved a good move, and I was at Brimham Rocks before 8.00 am.. According to my map, it should be mostly downhill from here to Bridlington!

WP_20160723_07_58_45_Pro_zpsxbf1v1d2.jpg

On a high now with the prospect of an easier ride, I stopped in Ripon. I believe this shop was one of Vernon's favourites, so I had a delicious pork pie (for breakfast!) in his memory. Cheers Vernon; you certainly had good taste in pies :okay:.

WP_20160723_09_04_03_Pro_zpschch7cqp.jpg

Next stop was Boroughbridge for a slice of excellent carrot cake from the local traditional bakers (Gilchrist). Then it was the city of York, where I came across this wee church... (WOTR route runs directly past it).

WP_20160723_13_31_17_Pro_zpscanza8gs.jpg

Progress was quite good today, and I ended up with my overnight stop at a campsite near Pocklington.

Sunday was a nice easy day with the run in to Bridlington, although I wasn't expecting the climb back up onto the Wolds a few miles from the finish. I could have sworn they had changed the route since last time. Anyway, the finish line was reached early afternoon and someone insisted on taking my photo at the finish line. I hate getting my photo taken, and it shows!

WP_20160724_15_48_06_Pro_zps1tqj3qd2.jpg

I decided to give the camping a rest for the night, and found a B&B near the finish post. It was luxury after that tent!
I had a day to waste before my pre-booked train, so rode up to Scarborough on Monday on NCN1. I wasn't overly impressed with Scarborough so took a train to York (I had to be within cycling distance of York station to catch the 10:55 train this morning anyway). I had passed through a nice place on the outskirts of York on Saturday, which had a campsite and a good pub. So it was off to Dunnington and dinner at the Cross Keys on Monday night, followed by another restless night camping. Caught the train at York as planned and was home by 5.00 pm...

Last edited:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
About 10 years ago I met a little lad at the canoe club. We spent the next 6-7 years paddling white water all over the place. He's spent the last few years at uni, the last time I rode with him was just before he left 3 years ago. He's like my other son/little brother. Tonight we went for a ride. Charlie had already ridden down from Ely, so he had 20 miles in the legs. I gave him a brew, then we were off through Caldecote, Kingston and the Eversdens. Due to his lack of cycling of late he struggled on any hills. He needed a breather, luckily the old man bladder struck!
image.jpeg

We made good time through to Newton and on to the Shelfords.
Up Worts Causeway young Charlie was nowhere to be seen, give him a week or two....
We came back through past Cambridge airport, and parted company at the McDonald's roundabout. Charlie went to get the train from Waterbeach back to Ely, I negotiated the football crowd, Cambridge United V West Ham in JULY?!!!

I then caught every red light back through town before taking my usual commute.

I did 30 miles, I reckon Charlie did 45. Good effort.

https://www.strava.com/activities/654419141

raleighnut

Legendary Member
A 3 day ride from Morecambe to Bridlington, "The Way of the Roses"......

Last Wednesday I was twiddling my thumbs a bit; no work scheduled and a rotten weather forecast locally for the weekend - so I explored the possibility of going and doing the WOTR from west to east (having done it in the opposite direction a few years ago). Reasonable weather forecast? Check. Favourable wind direction? Check. Bike ready? Check. Last problem, the logistics of getting there and back. Had a look on redspottedhanky.com and was very pleasantly surprised to find that I could book an advance single for the following day (last Thursday, 21st July) from Largs to Morecambe for £14.. Wow; a single to Glasgow is normally about £10. I also got an advance single from York back to Largs, booked for today, for about £24. Maybe I was just lucky on this occasion because previously I have found train fares to be the major obstacle to planning further cycle adventures. Anyway, I digress....

Arrived in Morecambe at lunchtime on Thursday after a pleasant train journey down on Trans Pennine trains (the Glasgow to Manchester airport service). My plan was just to do a few miles on the Thursday afternoon, after the obligatory photo of the Ridgeback at the start point:

WP_20160721_14_00_02_Pro_zpsojrimggs.jpg

I found myself boosted by the slight breeze at my back, and the good weather. Ideal for cycling, so I kept going a little further than planned until I found a campsite at Austwick. The clincher was a good local pub where I had a few pints and since it was "steak night" I had a sirloin with the usual accompaniments. Must mention the fact that when I unrolled my tent at Austwick, I found a ground sheet wrapped up inside the roll :rolleyes:, the one upon which this thread was based. So now I had an extra groundsheet to carry for 170 miles! Essential kit for forgetful nobbers, 2 groundsheets (at least they are small - and light):

WP_20160725_09_27_31_Pro_zpskwmfe0qb.jpg

Next day (Friday) the weather was hot and sunny; and this was a day with a few big climbs. Out of Settle was one of them, and Burnsall (??) another. Not sure if that was the name of the town, but it was this place, nice and picturesque:

WP_20160722_13_55_37_Pro_zpschj2njcy.jpg

By the time I reached Pately Bridge, the heat and hills had worn me out; so another campsite was found for the night, a pleasant but busy place on the riverside. Dinner was fish and chips out of the local chippy, and an early night.

Due to the early to bed on Friday night, I was awake stupidly early on Saturday morning. I decided to get up and away and do the climb out of Pately Bridge before it got too warm. This proved a good move, and I was at Brimham Rocks before 8.00 am.. According to my map, it should be mostly downhill from here to Bridlington!

WP_20160723_07_58_45_Pro_zpsxbf1v1d2.jpg

On a high now with the prospect of an easier ride, I stopped in Ripon. I believe this shop was one of Vernon's favourites, so I had a delicious pork pie (for breakfast!) in his memory. Cheers Vernon; you certainly had good taste in pies :okay:.

WP_20160723_09_04_03_Pro_zpschch7cqp.jpg

Next stop was Boroughbridge for a slice of excellent carrot cake from the local traditional bakers (Gilchrist). Then it was the city of York, where I came across this wee church... (WOTR route runs directly past it).

WP_20160723_13_31_17_Pro_zpscanza8gs.jpg

Progress was quite good today, and I ended up with my overnight stop at a campsite near Pocklington.

Sunday was a nice easy day with the run in to Bridlington, although I wasn't expecting the climb back up onto the Wolds a few miles from the finish. I could have sworn they had changed the route since last time. Anyway, the finish line was reached early afternoon and someone insisted on taking my photo at the finish line. I hate getting my photo taken, and it shows!

WP_20160724_15_48_06_Pro_zps1tqj3qd2.jpg

I decided to give the camping a rest for the night, and found a B&B near the finish post. It was luxury after that tent!
I had a day to waste before my pre-booked train, so rode up to Scarborough on Monday on NCN1. I wasn't overly impressed with Scarborough so took a train to York (I had to be within cycling distance of York station to catch the 10:55 train this morning anyway). I had passed through a nice place on the outskirts of York on Saturday, which had a campsite and a good pub. So it was off to Dunnington and dinner at the Cross Keys on Monday night, followed by another restless night camping. Caught the train at York as planned and was home by 5.00 pm...

I take it the Ridgeback is earning it's keep then.

iandg

Legendary Member
A spin out to Ravenspoint visitor centre to pick up a control stamp from one of the audax events that I recently organised (a 110km), Stopped for coffee and cake then headed back to the Loch Erisort Inn and settled up for the soup and rolls for the 300km riders. A pint of Guinness then a tail wind back to Stornoway :smile:

https://www.strava.com/activities/654216053

28282262110_1e105c2c0e.jpg

28488445101_57abd445ea.jpg

Last edited:

Buck

Guru
I got home from work at 8pm and felt like going for a quick ride out so dinner was put on hold (luckily it was salad and cooked meats), upstairs and changed to be greeted by a dark ominous sky. Would it rain? Ah well. I'm changed now so I'm going!

Off I headed with a view to doing a maximum of an hour so I could say 'night' to the boys and have food before it was too late!

I was surprised how blustery it was - amazing how it always feels like a head wind rather than a tail wind...

In stark difference to last week, the legs actually worked!

The first challenge on my normal route is the climb from the Black Bull up to the Farmers Boy. It's a short climb which has a bit of a pull to it. Checking Strava afterwards (I love numbers and comparing my times/progress), I'd got 3rd overall :smile: Yay !!

Carrying on up Marsh Lane I started to feel the wind buffeting a little but at least the rain was holding off. To the top and left on the main road. At this point I had to decide whether to go straight on or turn right and tackle my nemesis - aptly called Steep! And so it was right, up I went and it the legs worked well - it was still tough but that's half the fun and got a PB too! As I progressed on the ride there were quite a few guys at strategic points on the road with stopwatches. Afterwards on Strava I noticed there were lots of riders doing a WTC TT (?World Triathlon Club).

I rode down past the windmills and prepared myself for my favourite little climb called Power It! Unfortunately, just as I approached a people carrier was coming the other way and turning up the hill so lost all my speed but still had a good blast up to the top with another PB. Another steward was at the top and a quick hello as I turned left and headed home up towards Windmill Lane. I got passed by a guy that was doing the TT. He turned left onto Windmill Lane where I could see there were quite a few cars and people so most likely the start/finish.

Nothing else to report as I then pushed onwards and home, a chat with the boys before they were in bed then a shower and food. A short but enjoyable ride (noticed my average speed was above 15mph too!)

image.jpeg

https://www.strava.com/activities/654529402

12 miles and 830ft of climbing.

Spartak