Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
A week of nothing but commuting so far, and that wind has been against me on the way home every day so far. Finished my 4th night shift this morning, and now look forward to an 0500hrs commute in tomorrow. Must be nearly a year that I started going to work by bike.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Day 6 Bareges

It was straight out of the door and onto the Aubisque. It took at least 3 miles before my legs would answer politely and it wasn’t very quick at all. The gradient wasn’t too bad at 8% but enough of a challenge on unwoken legs. We climbed and climbed through mists with the scenery very much hidden. We began to emerge a bit from the mists near the top where glimpses of high peaks could be snatched. I must do this again on a better day. At the summit is a café which must be visited. It has historical pictures of epic cycling adventures on these slopes.

We dropped a little way from the summit to get some sense of the Corniches below cloud level with the Col du Soulor in the distance. The Soulor isn’t too tricky from this side, it’s a sort of bump on the descent really. Descending the Soulor was fun and down in the valley we took the upper route to avoid Argeles-Gazost which required a bit more climbing. Dropping into a quiet valley the sun came through and a café magically appeared. Time for a stop.

Richard stuck to the busy valley road while I got off it as soon as I could to take a minor road up on the valley side. We’d both ridden through a stunning gorge before the split. We regrouped (despite my extra climb) magically where I rejoined the main road just outside Luz St Sauveur. By now rain and thunder and lightning had begun. The power went down as we began to climb the Col du Tourmalet. The hotel was some way ahead on the slopes but it was time to be indoors. Seeing soaking cyclists turning up our hosts had a laugh saying they were full. All good fun as we could still see the funny side. 46 miles and over 9000 feet climbed today.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
First ride this week, work getting in the way of life again.

Anyhow, a busy "day off" with lots to do so by the time a chance came for a ride it was already knocking on the door of half past three.
Hmmmm...didn't really fancy taking to the local roads at that time on a Friday, so the first proper ride for an age on the hybrid and mainly off road. ^_^
Scholes via Wood Lane, which seemed oddly dry given the amount of rain this week (not that I'm complaining, but it's often a quagmire in places). Good fun though, even if the tyres did feel a bit squishy. I put this down to being used to riding the road bike with 110psi in skinny tyres.
Down Main Street to the Coronation Tree and back off road onto the bridleway, Bog Lane. Always good fun this, but a week off the bike had me huffing and puffing like a train with the effort steadily climbing up before eventually plunging back down to Cock Beck and the short rise to Manston Lane.
That last run down the hill is always good fun, but I was definitely feeling the tyres a bit, so stopped just before the farm to check.
Yep, both tyres felt a bit too squidgy, so out with the pump.
According to the gauge on my rubbishest pump (I took the Topeak Road Rocket off the hybrid and put it on the Pro Carbon) there was just 20psi in the rear tyre so off I went. Goodness that pump is rubbish. After an age I'd got the tyre up to an indicated 45psi. The front wasn't quite as bad, but again the gauge wouldn't shift past 45psi.
IMG_20160930_155811915_HDR.jpg

Anyhow it felt a lot better and I set off again up Nanny Goat lane on the bridleway between the fields and under the M1, then climbing again past the riding school before dropping down to the fringes of Garforth.
Quick right under the railway bridge, up the hill and right again onto Barrowby Lane for the tarmac run to NCN R66 through the woods, back across the M1 to the top of the world and then the downhill blast to Thorpe Park, where the contractors are still busy turning green farmland into urgently needed generic office buildings...:dry:
IMG_20160930_161828727_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160930_161900416_HDR.jpg

A run on what is still listed as a bridleway between acres of temporary fencing and back out onto Barrowby Lane when it started to rain. Stopped to put my showerproof jacket on and within 200yds of setting off it had stopped again. Still, mainly downhill home from there so I decided not to stop again. :rolleyes:
Down Austhorpe Lane, giving it the full beans and hitting 33.3mph which is quite impressive on what is effectively an MTB with hybrid wheels and less knobbly tyres.:hyper:
Over the railway bridge and then local roads up to home, with a couple of loops around the block to push the mileage on.

10.07 miles (16.2 km) in just under 52 minutes at an average of 11.5mph, with 415ft climbed. I'll have that and I'd almost forgotten what fun the hybrid can be in the right environment (although it doesn't half feel slow on road now!). I even managed to set a PB on one sector - imagine how fast I could have gone with properly inflated tyres! :laugh:

30092016.JPG

When i got home I checked the tyre pressures on my new Topeak track pump and both were showing under 30psi, so I've inflated them to the stated max of 65psi and will keep an eye on them. Hopefully they've just lost a bit of air through lack of use.
Big thumbs up for the Topeak Joe Blow Sport II track pump though - great piece of kit and much, much better than the cheap Beto one it's replaced. :okay:
I do need to get a decent pump to keep on the hybrid though...

Last edited:

Glow worm

Legendary Member
A lovely relaxed 14 miler here this afternoon in the flatlands. I've had the week off and not done much riding so it was good to get out.

image.jpeg

Another one of my quiet routes- this is Oily Hall way out miles from anywhere. I popped into an old pumping house, more of a shed really and found myself standing 20 feet away from a barn owl stood on top of his box. We stared at each other briefly, both rather suprised, before I decided to quietly back out and leave him be.

image.jpeg

The river Cam.

image.jpeg

And again. I was quite suprised at how many swallows and house martins are still about. I noticed they seem to pass over in groups, so I guess on their way- perhaps using the river to navigate by.

image.jpeg

Lords Ground Farm. I like to think some of the turf grown on the right will end up at the home of cricket, but I'm not sure that's true.

image.jpeg

Tubney Fen near Reach as the sun set. i waited for a bit for the startlings to arrive and soon enough they did.

image.jpeg

I reckon there must be 5 or 6000 there now and the flock's growing day by day. Quite a sight.
Off home in the twilight for the last miles of September.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Out at 9.30 for a ride in the tandem before the rain arrives. My garmin decided to misbehave all the way round today. Not sure what happened there.

There were plenty of buzzards around today and a kestrel giving us the beady eye as we passed by. Coming into Little Gransden on the right angled bend an Audi TT coming the other way nearly spun out, the woman driving it really did sh1t herself. We were lucky there!

We stopped in Great Gransden for a chat with Linda, who works with Mrs Dave. There were also 4 planes doing aerobatics. Noisy buggers!

Back to Hardwick, and along by the shop there was the usual congestion. A lady stopped to let us through, and the dildo behind her just drove through at us, and the car behind that just followed. It's a good job I've found inner peace from my yoga, otherwise I'd have turned them into downward facing dogs.

20 miles. It's just started to rain.

13 rider

Guru
Had arranged to meet mate Andy at 0900 for an hours ride .Pushed the bike out the door at 0810 for an extended ride to meeting point . It's a bit :cold: went for shorts and short sleeves with arm warmers which stayed on for the whole ride and fingerless mits summer is now officially over when I start wearing gloves as I normally don't bother .Newtown Linford ,Groby ,back to Anstey then Cropston ,Rothley ,Mountsorrel ,Quorn and back to meeting point in Rothley .Andy soon rocked up so off we go back to Cropston around the back of Bradgate park and into Swithland ,Woodhouse eaves ,Quorn and into Barrow on soar and up Paudy lane and into the back of Sileby .Quick coffee at Andy's and back out to ride home it's gone cold now suns gone in .Cossington ,Rothley ,Cropston and Home 36.1 miles in the bag and October's 50km in the bank

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Had arranged to meet mate Andy at 0900 for an hours ride .Pushed the bike out the door at 0810 for an extended ride to meeting point . It's a bit :cold: went for shorts and short sleeves with arm warmers which stayed on for the whole ride and fingerless mits summer is now officially over when I start wearing gloves as I normally don't bother .Newtown Linford ,Groby ,back to Anstey then Cropston ,Rothley ,Mountsorrel ,Quorn and back to meeting point in Rothley .Andy soon rocked up so off we go back to Cropston around the back of Bradgate park and into Swithland ,Woodhouse eaves ,Quorn and into Barrow on soar and up Paudy lane and into the back of Sileby .Quick coffee at Andy's and back out to ride home it's gone cold now suns gone in .Cossington ,Rothley ,Cropston and Home 36.1 miles in the bag and October's 50km in the bank
You beat the rain though :becool:

13 rider

Guru
You beat the rain though :becool:
Yes it went to plan and the BBC weather app proved correct :rolleyes:

bruce1530

Guru
Left home this morning about 9-ish. Bright and sunny, with a little mist. Just as I was leaving the house, I heard on the radio that flights were being diverted from Glasgow Airport (about 25 miles away) because of fog - but down on the coast it seemed fine.

About a mile into the journey, I was considering turning back - I had gone out in short sleeves, and was freezing! Decided to push on and not be a wimp - the forecast was to be reasonably warm. In the end, it was fine, but just about every other cyclist I passed was in longs....

Half a mile later I hit a small bump in the road. My water bottle fell out, and cracked.

Cold,a nd with no water bottle, I pushed on. A bad start to what turned out to be a great ride!

Pootled on along the coast, following cyclepaths for about an hour until I got to Largs. Stopped there to get a coffee and to buy a bottle of water. The lady in the cafe said “just to warn you, the coffee might be a bit stronger than before - we’ve got a new machine, and it makes coffee the way we always wanted the old one to...”
Double espresso. Really good.

Drank the coffee while enjoying the scenery for a few mins then pushed on.

IMG_1950.jpg

Continued up the Brisbane Glen road towards Loch Thom.
I like that road. It’s mostly a single track road, up over the moor. A climb of about 1000 ft over 5 or 6 miles. And very quiet - I think I only saw 1 car and 1 lorry on that stretch. Lots of bikes.

Once up at Loch Thom, I thought about turning left and heading across to the visitor centre or fishery at Cornalees for a bite to eat, but pushed on towards Port Glasgow.

IMG_1954 (1).jpg

I don’t know that part of the world very well, but a few miles, just past the reservoir, I passed a sign which indicated an alternative route to the visitor centre, going round the other side of the loch. I thought “I’ll follow that, circle the loch, stop at the visitor centre then head back the way I came. There was some small print below, which I didn’t read....

It was a tarred road and I followed it for a couple of miles, as it became narrower and rougher, then ended. I could see the visitor centre about half a mile ahead, but there was moorland and a river between us!

Turned back, to go round the long way. Discovered that the small print was a “for hillwalkers” logo.

IMG_1955.jpg

IMG_1957.jpg

IMG_1958.jpg

Back on the original road, and I changed my plans again. Decided to go over the track beside the Gryffe reservoir. I’d describe this road as “suitable for land rovers”... lots of stones , potholes, mud and big puddles

It’d have been fine on a mountain bike, it’d be a no-go on a road bike. On mine, with 28mm tyres, it was just OK.

From there, followed the road towards Kilmacolm and joined the N73 cycle path. Followed that through Bridge of Weir to Johnstone, where I caught a train home.

42 miles, and despite the early weather worries, I think I may have a touch of sunburn!

ride.jpeg

Last edited:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Day 7 Loudenvielle

We took an early start this morning after a huge evening meal. It was straight out onto the Tourmalet. I’ve ridden this climb before so had some memories of bits of the road. I spotted where my family had stayed on that previous holiday as we rode through Bareges. At the corner where the Botanical Gardens used to be a big car park and skiing infrastructure now makes something of an eyesore. As I progressed laden by my saddlebag riders would come past, usually not all that much quicker. Then two riders whizzed past at Tour de France pace. Just amazing to see. The views were superb and as I got higher I recognised “Marmot Corner” where my kids had played while I was pretending to be in the Polka Dot jersey all those years ago.

It does get steeper nearer the top as it always did and now there is a photographic service near the summit if you wish to buy a personal memento. At the top it’s busy with motor cyclists and other petrol powered folks all vying for photos of the summit sign and the famous cycling statue. The café there provided some expensive coffee and tart too. After much sightseeing and photo opportunities it was time to go. It was great fun descending with my speed exceeding 40 mph at times. Not Tour de France descending pace but the roads aren’t closed for me (that’s my excuse anyway). At the bottom St Marie de Campon has a statue commemorating the famous broken forks incident from a very early Tour de France.

I headed for the Col d’Aspin which begins fairly easily at first and when a group of Spanish riders came up to me I sat in on a wheel. They seemed happy with that. Then it began to ramp up a bit and I had to let them go. Saddlebag free makes a difference. The Aspin wasn’t too bad at all. It’s never too steep and most of the climbing is over ~3 miles. The Spaniards were at the top and we exchanged grins and thumbs up. The views were amazing away into the valley.

Having taken in the views I watched a lass depart for the descent. I followed after a wee while and caught and passed her about halfway down. Neither of us were hanging about as I do like a good descent. At the bottom I stopped to check my route and she appeared to give me the thumbs up on my descending prowess. Takes one to know one I reckon.

At Arreau it’s lunchtime but I crack on anyway as it’s getting hot. I take the western leg around the lake at Loudenvielle where a café provides me with some small refreshment and then as I enter Loudenvielle a supermarket provides some lovely fruit and a blood red peach I’ve never come across before. Being early I make a tour of the village and its surroundings until it’s time to check in. 45 miles and over 7000 feet climbed today.

Club ride time again but did not exactly go to plan.

Did a short loop out via Coveney before and wished I was on the Helium with tubs!It's not the best of roads with plenty of bumps,holes and ridges but had to make do with the Clement clinchers on the Icarus.

Headed back towards Witchford and turned off towards Wilburton to let the mods catch me up;over the 'col' and then out via Stretham towards Wicken;a nice steady pace but no sign of the mods group either so carried on until the front mech started to mis-behave.Stopped at Wicken for adjustments and as I was getting ready to go the easy group rolled by,so I was a far bit ahead:rolleyes:.

Got going again and the small threesome that made up he mods came by so tagged along and then all joined up at Soham so we all then rolled through Fordham where I decided to take a different route to mess about with the front mech;if it was playing up I was going back home but it worked well enough so took a different route to La Hogue in Chippenham where I arrived at the same time as a group from the Newmarket club.

Suitably refreshed we headed back as one group when the mods dived off on a detour I didn't know about :sad:so rolled with the easy lot for a bit before heading off on me tod;steady run back and the three mods then came past before Prickwillow,couldn't stay with them so steady back and a solid 70k for the day.

Doesn't look taxing on the suffer score but feel tired now probably due to being awake most of the night with the better half being ill.

https://www.strava.com/activities/730619919

View from Coveney to Ely;

IMG_20161001_085636492_HDR.jpg

Getting ready to head back from La Hogue

IMG_20161001_105215667_HDR.jpg

D

Deleted member 1258

It's a cracking morning for a bike ride, unfortunately my ride didn't get out of Coventry today. I was planning to ride over to Middleton Hall, long route out short route back, shake down the newly fettled fixed and get back to riding fixed again having not used the bike since the spring. Unfortunately by the time I got to Beak Ave and the first climb it was becoming obvious I hadn't recovered enough from the man flu, no legs, sore chest, coughing, and blocked sinuses. When I got to the Holyhead road I turned through Allesly and on to home abandoning the ride. So I'm sat here looking at the sunshine feeling very frustrated.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
It's a cracking morning for a bike ride, unfortunately my ride didn't get out of Coventry today. I was planning to ride over to Middleton Hall, long route out short route back, shake down the newly fettled fixed and get back to riding fixed again having not used the bike since the spring. Unfortunately by the time I got to Beak Ave and the first climb it was becoming obvious I hadn't recovered enough from the man flu, no legs, sore chest, coughing, and blocked sinuses. When I got to the Holyhead road I turned through Allesly and on to home abandoning the ride. So I'm sat here looking at the sunshine feeling very frustrated.
:hugs:

Top Bottom