Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
It's a cracking morning for a bike ride, unfortunately my ride didn't get out of Coventry today. I was planning to ride over to Middleton Hall, long route out short route back, shake down the newly fettled fixed and get back to riding fixed again having not used the bike since the spring. Unfortunately by the time I got to Beak Ave and the first climb it was becoming obvious I hadn't recovered enough from the man flu, no legs, sore chest, coughing, and blocked sinuses. When I got to the Holyhead road I turned through Allesly and on to home abandoning the ride. So I'm sat here looking at the sunshine feeling very frustrated.

I hope you feel better soon. Take care.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
GWS, @dave r !

Old jon

Guru
A bright and crisp morning, a little less politely it was f f freezing. Monday to Saturday, leaving for a ride before nine thirty means you get to admire other people’s vehicles in long, stationary lines. Sunday is not like that, an early start, well 8:45 is early for me, means an early finish and as ever there are things to do.

A pedal around Holbeck, legs and lungs wondering what hit them, and through Hunslet for the climb to John o’ Gaunts. That sorted the legs out, the lungs may forgive me. The breeze was picking up a bit but it never became a problem. Turn left to miss the Oulton Roundabout, going past Woodlesford station instead, left again at the bottom of the hill and cross both canal and river on the way to Swillington. Straight on to Garforth, turn right at the roundabout for the gasp and pant up Garforth Cliff. Keep on the A 63 until the Micklefield roundabout, and turn left to ride through the village.

Once through, turn right on the B 1217, along to Lotherton Gates and turn left for Aberford. I could very likely ride the rest in my sleep, but it is different every time. Today’s oddity was a cycling event of some description. Lasses at road junctions and the occasional farm gate pointing riders in presumably the right direction. So, just below the ridge top was someone directing me to turn right. She seemed shocked to hear I was cycling by myself, not in this event she was helping to marshal. Hmmm, I pondered this for the rest of the 31.6 miles I rode today, maybe I had the wrong impression there, or it could have been shortage of breath.

And the imitation of a circular ride . . .

02102016.jpg

Brandane

Legendary Member
Left home this morning about 9-ish. Bright and sunny, with a little mist. Just as I was leaving the house, I heard on the radio that flights were being diverted from Glasgow Airport (about 25 miles away) because of fog - but down on the coast it seemed fine.

About a mile into the journey, I was considering turning back - I had gone out in short sleeves, and was freezing! Decided to push on and not be a wimp - the forecast was to be reasonably warm. In the end, it was fine, but just about every other cyclist I passed was in longs....

Half a mile later I hit a small bump in the road. My water bottle fell out, and cracked.

Cold,a nd with no water bottle, I pushed on. A bad start to what turned out to be a great ride!

Pootled on along the coast, following cyclepaths for about an hour until I got to Largs. Stopped there to get a coffee and to buy a bottle of water. The lady in the cafe said “just to warn you, the coffee might be a bit stronger than before - we’ve got a new machine, and it makes coffee the way we always wanted the old one to...”
Double espresso. Really good.

Drank the coffee while enjoying the scenery for a few mins then pushed on.

View attachment 146157

Continued up the Brisbane Glen road towards Loch Thom.
I like that road. It’s mostly a single track road, up over the moor. A climb of about 1000 ft over 5 or 6 miles. And very quiet - I think I only saw 1 car and 1 lorry on that stretch. Lots of bikes.

Once up at Loch Thom, I thought about turning left and heading across to the visitor centre or fishery at Cornalees for a bite to eat, but pushed on towards Port Glasgow.

View attachment 146159

I don’t know that part of the world very well, but a few miles, just past the reservoir, I passed a sign which indicated an alternative route to the visitor centre, going round the other side of the loch. I thought “I’ll follow that, circle the loch, stop at the visitor centre then head back the way I came. There was some small print below, which I didn’t read....

It was a tarred road and I followed it for a couple of miles, as it became narrower and rougher, then ended. I could see the visitor centre about half a mile ahead, but there was moorland and a river between us!

Turned back, to go round the long way. Discovered that the small print was a “for hillwalkers” logo.

View attachment 146160
View attachment 146161
View attachment 146162

Back on the original road, and I changed my plans again. Decided to go over the track beside the Gryffe reservoir. I’d describe this road as “suitable for land rovers”... lots of stones , potholes, mud and big puddles

It’d have been fine on a mountain bike, it’d be a no-go on a road bike. On mine, with 28mm tyres, it was just OK.

From there, followed the road towards Kilmacolm and joined the N73 cycle path. Followed that through Bridge of Weir to Johnstone, where I caught a train home.

42 miles, and despite the early weather worries, I think I may have a touch of sunburn!

View attachment 146163
That saves me doing much of a write-up on my ride this morning; as it would look a bit like a copy and paste of the above :okay:. Even down to going along that wee dead end path on the north side of Loch Thom (in my case I had intended going to Greenock but ran into a fog bank, so turned back and decided to explore where that path went. At the end, I did a bit of cyclocrossing and carried the bike the half mile or so over the moorland to where it links up with the road to Cornalees).

Strava link for this morning.

Some pics.......

The Secteur with it's new flat bar conversion at Loch Thom....

WP_20161002_11_05_51_Pro_zpsscz30jie.jpg

Inverkip near the marina entrance, looking across to Innellan...

WP_20161002_12_02_12_Pro_zpsdxewofci.jpg

Arran, Bute, and Cumbrae, and some sheep, all in one shot..

WP_20161002_12_46_48_Pro_zpscmgku5yu.jpg

Summer has finally arrived on the Clyde :wahhey:.

Maverick Goose

A jumped up pantry boy, who never knew his place
Quick 15 miles today that I somehow managed in 52 minutes so either the tailwind was stronger than I thought or my Cateye is playing up ^_^ Complete day of rest tomorrow in readiness for the Viking Challenge I'm doing on Sunday.
May the Force be with you!:okay:
Another sunny autumn day here in the Lakes, more fun dodging peds on the Under Loughrigg road and then the traffic on the A591 on the way back-don't even think about doing Red Bank on a Sunday!

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
What a beautiful day it is today, well in the Sun anyway. In the shade it's bloomin perishing. Another pootle along the B4404. There has been an awful lot of rain here this week and The river is very high and flowing very fast., so past The river dovey, and past the shooting range and on towards llanerwin. On the way back, there was a very strong headwind and my ears were hurting. Good job i have just bought a winter buff because I'm going to need it I think.

Screenshot_2016-10-02-14-27-40-1.png
20161002_123843.jpg

20161002_125253.jpg

20161002_125247.jpg
20161002_125247.jpg

20161002_130007.jpg

13 rider

Guru
It's a cracking morning for a bike ride, unfortunately my ride didn't get out of Coventry today. I was planning to ride over to Middleton Hall, long route out short route back, shake down the newly fettled fixed and get back to riding fixed again having not used the bike since the spring. Unfortunately by the time I got to Beak Ave and the first climb it was becoming obvious I hadn't recovered enough from the man flu, no legs, sore chest, coughing, and blocked sinuses. When I got to the Holyhead road I turned through Allesly and on to home abandoning the ride. So I'm sat here looking at the sunshine feeling very frustrated.
Definitely the correct choice to abandon you could have pushed on and made yourself worse . Feeling your frustration nothing worst than wanting to ride and not being able ,GWS

D

Deleted member 1258

Definitely the correct choice to abandon you could have pushed on and made yourself worse . Feeling your frustration nothing worst than wanting to ride and not being able ,GWS

I did manage to get out in the sunshine, I got out in the garden and got the weeding and tidying done, not as good as a bike ride but enjoyable non the less, and its made the day feel like less of a waste.

13 rider

Guru
Had everything planned this morning route plotted 100 km target . Sat watching the start of the F1 and got a text from big sister "are going for a bike ride " silly question ! " Can we meet for coffee" So complete change off route and meet arrange at Nice pies cafe near Melton .Out to Cossington and roughly followed my recent CC ride route got to Saxelby and had more time so turned to Holwell and some quiet lanes back to Nice pies cafe bang on time . Big sis was waiting so coffee and a massive piece of lemon cafe consumed . Purchased 2 pies for Monday tea . Big Sister bought some and has had them for dinner "best pies ever " was her opinion :hungry: looking for to Mondays tea . Home the long way to get the 100 km in . Willoughby on the Wolds ,Wysall ,East Leake coming out of West Leake a guy was fixing a puncture pulled over to see if he was ok . Hed just about changed the tube and he said that's his second one today . Into Sutton Bonnington passing a farmer hedge cutting went as wide as I could round in . Just climbing out of Kegworth and the back wheel feels soft pulled up 12 miles from home put some air in it and it seemed to hold so steady ride to see if I could make it home got to Diesworth and I can feel it soft again so pulled over in a convenient bus shelter and set about changing the tube . Annoyingly couldn't find any thing in the tyre and the old tube stayed inflated . Changed the tube anyway thanks to the 3 riders who offered assistance but I was ok . Belton then on Ncr6 between Belton and Shepshed came across another ride front wheel off repairing a puncture are they contagious asked if he was ok and he was struggling with his pump so stopped and helped him change and inflated his tyre we then rode together for a mile before I turned for home . Shepshed down Charley road to Beacon hill crossroads and to Old John and I to Newtown Linford and Home 73.3 miles in the bag and another month ticked off in the metric century challenge . Pumped up the old tube and managed to find a pin hole so patched it and then re checked the tyre now I knew were the hole should be still couldn't find anything !. So pumped tyre up with track pump and will check it in a couple of days . Discovered my mini pump Dosn't get above probably 60 psi but it got me home . Bit chilly first thing but lovely when I got home

Last edited:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
After our ride yesterday we went baby sitting, for 24 hours! She was perfectly behaved too. I came home and jumped on my Cube and set out into the blustery, sunny, coolish Cambridgeshire countryside.
It was almost a carbon copy of yesterday's ride in reverse. In Great Gransden I didn't turn down Sand Road as I intended as Farmer Palmer was flailing the hedgerow. I can do without punctures!

The wind was blowing in all directions. At the back of Caxton the smell from the pig farm almost melted my nose. The plus point to the wind was that the maggot farm was fragrance free! Here it is under a mixed sky

IMG_1092.JPG

So, a nice 20 mile loop to end a nice, but exhausting weekend. Back to work, spin and circuit training for a rest!

https://www.strava.com/activities/732065434

steve50

Disenchanted Member
I got the chance to get out on the bike today (first time in twelve days), it was cool in the shade but just nicely warm in the autumn sunshine. I decided it would be a good day to get the old Raleigh out, so jeans T-shirt and warm pullover, cycling mitts and trainers and off we go, From home down through Exley past the rugby ground, down past the local farm and a small housing estate eventually coming onto Elland Road, along Elland road to Brookfoot Lake where I turned onto the canal towpath. A steady pootle along the towpath passing numerous walkers and some fellow cyclists some of whom really could do with slowing down along the towpath before a walker or fellow cyclist ends up in the water (the towpaths are there for us to share!!) I eventually came off the towpath in Brighouse town centre and decided to call in and visit my older brother for an hour. a pleasant hour was spent chatting and drinking tea before I set off back towards home this time sticking to the main roads all the way back until I reached Exley Lane. Exley lane is a steady climb for the first half and then it gets steep but the old Raleigh Pioneer and my legs gallantly made it to the top which I was quite impressed with, the rest of the ride home went without a hitch. The Raleigh Pioneer is twenty five years old, it's made of steel and is not the lightest bike in the world but it is an absolute pleasure to ride on or off road, dressed in casual gear and wearing trainers I feel very comfortable on it as it just plods along at whatever speed i choose, a very enjoyable ten miles today.

bruce1530

Guru
That saves me doing much of a write-up on my ride this morning; as it would look a bit like a copy and paste of the above :okay:. Even down to going along that wee dead end path on the north side of Loch Thom (in my case I had intended going to Greenock but ran into a fog bank, so turned back and decided to explore where that path went. At the end, I did a bit of cyclocrossing and carried the bike the half mile or so over the moorland to where it links up with the road to Cornalees).

What a coincidence. How long did it take to cross the moorland bit. Wasn’t there a river in between?
I thought about trying it, but couldn’t see what the best route was, and had no phone reception so couldn’t check google maps etc.

My trip today was much less eventful. From Saltcoats, headed along the N73 cycle route to Kilwinning, then followed the N7 south through Irvine. Stayed on the main road, bypassing the winding bit where the cycle path goes behind the paper mill, then into Barassie. Followed the N7 sea front path though Troon, then the local cycleway back to Barassie along the golf course, then back home by the same route. 32 miles, and flat as a pancake - only 300ft climbed!

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
First proper road ride since last weekends Scarborough ride - and by 'eck did it feel like it!

I had intended to get out early, but awoke suffering from a severe case of lazyitis. Several presses of the snooze button later I was up and then went through a degree of faffing about, deciding what to wear. Summer is so much easier to dress for isn't it?

Eventually decided on my new Planet X 365 3/4s, l/s compression top, s/s cycling top and a l/s jersey over the top plus a neck buff, and I think I got it about right this morning. Fingerless mitts were a bit chilly for the first mile or two, but pretty much bob on for the rest of the ride.

Out up Coal Road and Red Hall Lane then a quick scoot along the A58 and onto Whin Moor Lane for the pleasant run out to Shadwell. Right there down Main Street, all the way back to the sharp rise back up to the A58 and across onto Carr Lane for the equally nice run to Thorner.
The roads were still quite wet from last nights rain, so I was glad the Ass Saver was on the bike, but the sun was out and it's not a bad way to spend a Sunday morning is it?
In Thorner it was left, round past the church and onto Milner Lane for the dip and then the sharp climb up onto the ridge.
I could feel the rear tyre (Rubino Pros) struggling for grip up the hill under the trees, which was interesting, but made it to the top and back out into the sunshine. I'll see how the tyres cope with the changing seasons but might have to think about getting some different tyres for over the winter - or just take out the more suitably equipped Road Comp instead...
Along the ridge and all the way to East Rigton, past the green and up the other side and onto Bramham Lane for one of the nicest cycling lanes in the area, although there was quite a lot of gravel and the like washed out of the fields. Eventually crossed Jewitt Lane then the sharp climb onto Thorner Lane where I headed for Bramham, through the dip and up the other side, before getting onto Thorner Rd for a straight run to the village.
Past a chatty group of cyclists who were friendly enough but had shocking road sense, then over the A1(M) bridge and right down the hill.
Up the other side and nicked onto the cycle path to avoid the non-bike detecting traffic lights, before getting back onto the road and motoring down Paradise Way with a lovely tailwind all the way to Bramham cross roads.
Round the roundabout (as you do) and then the straight forward run down to Aberford, still enjoying that tailwind which might have contributed to a PB...;)

In Aberford I passed a club ride heading the other way and then started seeing marshals and lots of muddy people on MTBs and CX bikes. Not sure what event was on but they looked to be enjoying it - seemed to be coming into the village from the woods at Parlington on NCN R66, then out on Cattle Lane and then cross country again on the bridleway looping into Barwick via Potterton and on from there - anyone know what event it was?

Anyway, I was feeling it a bit by this point, so cycled up to the old Almshouses for a drink and a flapjack - and a photo too:
IMG_20161002_103927242_HDR.jpg

Back on the bike and into the village, slotting between the event cyclists and heading up Cattle Lane. Slightly concerned that several marshals were trying to direct me with the mud pluggers, but I can only assume that I was going so fast they couldn't tell what sort of bike I was on...:whistle:
Down the hill to Cock Beck and then the climb up the other side which didn't seem too bad today and into Barwick, where there was a control and drink station set up - and where another marshal tried to flag me down :laugh:
Through the village and the climb up Leeds Road almost to Scholes before the very welcome downhill stretch to the Coronation Tree, with the MTB'ers back in view cutting across onto the bridleway at Bog Lane. Round the corner on Leeds Road where the number one half wit driver of the day decided to overtake me unsighted on the corner on the wrong side of the road rather than waiting behind for literally a few seconds for the road to straighten out. Fortunately for him there was nothing coming the other way...:wacko:
From there it's downhill all the way to Cock Beck (again) then the climb up the other side before heading onto local roads up to home.

22.5 miles (36.21km) in a steady 1hr 33m at an average of 14.5mph with 1,279ft climbed. I'll take that for today, especially as I took it steady over a few bits due to the road conditions and I clearly need to pick up my fitness regime as my thighs were on fire when I got home. The half century ride will have to wait until next weekend.^_^

02102016.JPG

Lots of cyclists out today making the most of the sunshine, which is always good to see, mainly friendly and unusually I saw a couple of other Boardman riders (half the world seems to ride a Spesh around here!).

Last edited:

steve50

Disenchanted Member
What a coincidence. How long did it take to cross the moorland bit. Wasn’t there a river in between?
I thought about trying it, but couldn’t see what the best route was, and had no phone reception so couldn’t check google maps etc.

My trip today was much less eventful. From Saltcoats, headed along the N73 cycle route to Kilwinning, then followed the N7 south through Irvine. Stayed on the main road, bypassing the winding bit where the cycle path goes behind the paper mill, then into Barassie. Followed the N7 sea front path though Troon, then the local cycleway back to Barassie along the golf course, then back home by the same route. 32 miles, and flat as a pancake - only 300ft climbed!

I've walked the shore from Irvine through to Troon and back on many occasions when i was just a nipper, lived in Irvine for a few years before moving back to Yorkshire. Been back a few years ago to "Irvine New Town" very disappointing and the beaches were an absolute disgrace.

Top Bottom