Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
First ride of 2017 for me but just a commute. I was up and about early so went for the extended version taking in Acton Burnell, Cressage and Wroxeter.

Fetching the bike out I found a flat front tyre which was quite annoying but I needed to swap to the ice tyres anyway as it was another frosty morning so that didn't cause an issue immediately.

Setting out I was glad to have swapped tyres as although it didn't seem too bad at home, I could see that all the pavements were iced up meaning the lanes were likely to be the same further on.

It took a while to get a gap in traffic to head onto the A49 then wasn't too bad on the way to Condover. There was a bit of ice on the road to Cantlop then again after Acton Burnell but at Wroxeter there was lots as water had been running down the road so the studs earned their keep once again. There was a large puddle across the road and the ice in it was thoroughly smashed by the traffic that had passed this way. I had a little moment here but the studs did do their job and kept me upright - note for future reference: these tyres don't like crossing broken ice.

Work was busy after the Christmas closure and cold with the place having been closed up.

For the trip home I kept it simple and stuck to the usual route and was glad I had as it felt colder riding back against the wind. It's not supposed to be frosty tomorrow so I needed to fix that puncture and swap the wheels back. The hole in the tube was just a pinprick and despite a good search I couldn't find any sign of the tyre having been penetrated. Looking closer at the tube I discovered the tiniest bit of sharp grit in the hole which must have been between tyre and tube and had slowly worked it's way through.:rolleyes:

30 miles for the day at 12.3mph average for the round trip.

DSC0004206.jpg

Either someone has just blown up Shawbury or the sun is rising.;)

DSC0004207.jpg

Later on at a favourite viewpoint on the way to Wroxeter. There appeared to be a little bit of snow on the top of the Long Mynd.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Over the last few months @Supersuperleeds has been gentlely persuading me to enter the Imperial century a month challenge and I wouldnt commit but both me and him knew I wanted to give it a go so an extra day of work so today was the day .Out at first light 0815 sticking to main roads to start as it was a bit frosty but not as bad as yesterday when I came a cropper .Anstey ,Cropston ,Rothley ,Quorn ,Mountsorrel back to Rothley and then Cossington .Up Humble lane and this is a bit icy and first doubt enter my head if this a good idea ?. Turned up the Wreake valley and roads where now ok . Ratcliffe on wreake ,Thrussington ,Hoby ,Asfordby here I headed up Saxileby hill and again frosty patches and onto the single track road which was ok to start but then it's white over . My confidence took a knock yesterday so very gingerly made it though questioning my sanity and came close to bailing here but convinced myself the roads would improve .Finally dropped into the flatland of the vale of Belvoir via a lovely downhill to Long Clawson I now begin to relax and enjoy the ride .Hickling ,Kinoulton ,Cropwell Bishop ,Tithby, then on to some new roads to Whatton over the A52 . Aslockton ,Scarrington and into Car Cropston where I felt the first bit of wind that had got up which would be a headwind on the way home :sad: . Haskworth ,Thorton back over the A52 Elton ,Redmile ,Plunger and a welcome coffee stop at Dove Cottage coffee and cake was consumed . Checked milage here and was disappointed to only have 62 miles in the bag and it's 25 miles home so a few extra will have to be found . Out the cafe the into Stathern and the climb out of the vale the brute that is Stathern hill even with cafe legs I ground my self to the top. Now on the exposed ridge I could feel the full force of the wind and knew it going to be tough return . Heading to Wycomb ,Scalford then only the ridge and straight into the headwind so quick route change and started to retrace this morning route . Saxileby ,Asfordby ,Hoby ,Thrussington ,Ratcliffe on the Wreake and back to Cossington and to add miles I turned out of the headwind thankfully . Sileby, Mountsorrel ,Quorn ,Woodhouse ,Swithland ,Rothley ,Cropston and home .102.8 miles in the bag 1 out of twelve down . After the first 90 mins I really enjoyed the ride apart from battling the headwind bit of bad planning on my part . Only saw 4 other riders out today and it's the first time I've been to Dove Cottage and there's no other riders in . Gave the bike a wipe down as its filthy and feet up and coffee and cake

:bravo::bravo:Well done you:okay: I think that may be on the radar for 2018, on the assumption that I finish the metric one this year...

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
After a few beers, and a large Baileys last night, I was feeling exhausted this morning after my lovely wife woke me up as she left for work at 6.30. The thought of going out cycling in the cold and strong wind was not inviting, but around 10.00 am I forced myself to do so. I headed over one of the local moss roads from Southport to Shirdley Hill. From there I headed towards Ormskirk, but turned right towards Aughton and up Clieves Hill (one of the few hills worthy of the name around this neck of the woods). Up to this point the brisk north westerly tailwind made it a cinch. As I turned into Shepherds Lane and towards Halsall though, the wind was no longer behind me, although not yet in my face. Shepherds Lane is one of the roads up and down Clieves Hill, the shortest and steepest one. Although short, it is a very tough climb and also a fast descent, and today I was descending. As you turn into Shepherds Lane from the top of the hill, it looks like the road just drops off the top

Sheperds Lane 1.jpg

Shepherds Lane 4.jpg

Sheperds Lane 2.jpg

After 100 yards or so you are doing 30+ mph just freewheeling down here, but after a short distance, good brakes are needed as the road narrows and veers into a blind bend.

Once down on the flatlands again, I weaved my way round to Plex Moss Lane which takes you over Plex Moss and across about 4 miles of open farmland towarads Ainsdale at the south end of Southport. The road across Plex Moss winds a bit so the wind was not always in my face, but about 2.5 miles before Ainsdale it straightens out and travels in a south east to north west direction, which meant a stiff headwind that had me down to about 11 or 12 mph for most of the way.

Plex Moss2.jpg
Plex Moss.jpg

Having struggled over to Ainsdale I made my way up to the Coast Road by Pontins and headed north towards Southport sea front (where there used to be a beach - well there still is a small one - a contentious issue for many Southport residents). I stopped to take some pics of the cycle track along the sea wall and the pier from where Blackpool can be seen in the distance.

Sea Wall.jpg

Southport Pier.jpg

Then I rode up to the top of the Coast Road, through Crossens and then through Churchtown before going across another moss road from Churchtown that leads out to the A570 in Scarisbrick. I enjoyed another nice tailwind most of the way across the moss, but when I got onto the A 570 and headed into Southport, I was pitting myself against a headwind again, all the way into Southport town centre from where I made my way home.

Despite struggling to get off my couch and onto my bike, I really enjoyed this ride, despite the wind which actually added to the interest. The contrasts in scenery were great, open rural countryside and farmland, great views from the top of Clieves Hill out over Liverpool Bay and towards North Wales, a couple of rural villages such as Shirdley Hill, suburban housing estates in Ainsdale, a seaside resort along Southport's Coast Road, an olde worlde village in Churchtown and a busy Victorian town centre in Southport. 32 miles in about 2 hours 20 minutes and an average speed of 13.9 mph.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Some Glasgow Belles on bikes did join the local racing club for a social ride :whistle:
There was many lycra cladded, carbon riding, super fit chaps and gals.
There was also the boyfriend of one of the Belles, on an old flat bar Raileigh, wearing jeans: he kept up with the best of them ^_^
We had another unseasonal warm day here, most of us needed to take a layer off even though the headwind was fairly blowing during the first 10 miles.
One of the lycra cladded, sitting on a razor blade like saddle, on a bike with 23's, was feeling the consequences of the festive season excesses: I felt I had to take his mind off things, so, on a particularly crater strewn road I started to tell him about the shock absorbent benefits of my sturdy ride.
Will you believe it? From the back marker comes an "Oi!!! Less chatting more pedaling!"
Anyhow, it turned out a lovely ride along the country lanes on the outskirts of Glasgow: one of the Belles even took the leadership after some of us lost the half of the group with the leader included.
From the Erskine bridge we decided to take the path to town to avoid a busy road, but the path was full of glass like all our paths are after the weekend, so, of course there was a puncture.
I offered up my Topeak pocket rocket, got in on a Halfords sale years ago after reading the raving reviews on here: the punctured racer was not impressed at first, soon changed his tune after a few pumps :okay:
While he was fixing his puncture, us Belles checked for appropriate tyre firmness while doing a dance in the now chilling evening " ... we have a pump, we have the pump ... we are the Belles and have the pump ...."
41 miles in the bag for me :biggrin:
IMG_20170103_154206210.jpg IMG_20170103_153940272_HDR.jpg IMG_20170103_153935225.jpg

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Sounds like fun :okay:
It was: us Belles go riding with the "racers" maybe twice a year, I don't think they could take much more of us :laugh:
PS: get well soon @grumpyoldwoman, hope you're feeling better today.
If you want to commute through the winter a pair of studded tyres are a worthy investment, they will last you many years and make your journey safe.

Old jon

Guru
Some Glasgow Belles on bikes did join the local racing club for a social ride :whistle:
There was many lycra cladded, carbon riding, super fit chaps and gals.
There was also the boyfriend of one of the Belles, on an old flat bar Raileigh, wearing jeans: he kept up with the best of them ^_^
We had another unseasonal warm day here, most of us needed to take a layer off even though the headwind was fairly blowing during the first 10 miles.
One of the lycra cladded, sitting on a razor blade like saddle, on a bike with 23's, was feeling the consequences of the festive season excesses: I felt I had to take his mind off things, so, on a particularly crater strewn road I started to tell him about the shock absorbent benefits of my sturdy ride.
Will you believe it? From the back marker comes an "Oi!!! Less chatting more pedaling!"
Anyhow, it turned out a lovely ride along the country lanes on the outskirts of Glasgow: one of the Belles even took the leadership after some of us lost the half of the group with the leader included.
From the Erskine bridge we decided to take the path to town to avoid a busy road, but the path was full of glass like all our paths are after the weekend, so, of course there was a puncture.
I offered up my Topeak pocket rocket, got in on a Halfords sale years ago after reading the raving reviews on here: the punctured racer was not impressed at first, soon changed his tune after a few pumps :okay:
While he was fixing his puncture, us Belles checked for appropriate tyre firmness while doing a dance in the now chilling evening " ... we have a pump, we have the pump ... we are the Belles and have the pump ...."
41 miles in the bag for me :biggrin:
View attachment 156172 View attachment 156173 View attachment 156174

Brilliant, and thank you.

grumpyoldwoman

PS: get well soon @grumpyoldwoman, hope you're feeling better today.
If you want to commute through the winter a pair of studded tyres are a worthy investment, they will last you many years and make your journey safe.

This is my third winter commuting,never used studded tyres and never come off like that before. Very sore this morning but I'll live.Got to get back out on the bike today to go to the hospital for an x-ray on my ankle.Could do without it but it's been booked for a while now and taken a day off work for it.

Nice steady first commute of the year down the 20p road;went all the way through into Cambridge via Histon and along Histon Rd before going over Victoria bridge to then pop in the Little Waitrose.

On the way to work realised that the rather good Norfolk Street Bakery would be open so another quick stop;

IMG_20170104_073943124.jpg

For a couple of these for tonight:hungry:(1 each for me and the better half I should add);

IMG_20170104_084821477.jpg

Yum Portugese tarts.

Short day today so may ride home if I feel like it.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I joined Ralph R and Richard B in the Green while Mrs 26 knocked some miles off by driving to meet John G in Upton. We all met up in Upton apart from Ralph who had punctured and decided to head back home. We took a fairly standard run by Strensham, Defford, Eckington, the Combertons for Bricklehampton and the Jubilee Bridge for Craycombe Farm tea rooms at Fladbury. All the while the banter was being exchanged. All helped by a rather pleasant day's weather for the time of year. Blue skies could be seen too.

We tucked into our refreshments with more banter being exchanged before John decided to head back up the busy main road while us three climbed Hill Furze. A rider caught us and we chatted until our routes parted. He was one of the very pleasant Evesham Wheelers members. We routed over the old airfield and the ford. Rich was tiring as we took the ramp up to Wadborough but no chuckle buttons were in danger of failing. June P and a merry gang of Worcester St Johns riders came the other way with shouts of "Hi" and waves. Kinnersley Bank was another test for tiring Rich but no worries. Just knock a rev off and we are all good. Mrs 26 peeled off at Upton to retrieve the car while Rich and I took a non standard run back which involved Gilbert's End. Blue Skies were showing even better as we rolled the last mile or so. The temperature was dropping tho' so we had made the most of the weather. Great stuff and my first "proper" ride of 2017. 53 smiles with some good pals.

Dark46

Veteran
I finally got out for my first ride of the year. I took it steady as I've not been out for a month. It was just as well as the 10 miles felt like 50 used too.

So I basically did a loop from Quedgeley to Haresfield to Brookthorpe and Whaddon and back into Gloucester and Quedgeley.

So Im planning on going out Friday afternoon and doing the same route as a gauge.

All in all its good to be back in the saddle.

Top Bottom