Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Katherine

Guru
Gradually building up the miles again and actually feel ready to keep up with the social ride on Sunday. A cold and fresh 33 miles this afternoon going out on
A580 cycle path through Ellenbrook, Boothstown and Astley, then Culcheth and Glazebrook,

IMG_20170104_141312298.jpg

over Warburton Bridge where it was definitely worth stopping to admire the view ( yes, my legs got a rest too)

IMG_20170104_143552364.jpg

IMG_20170104_143453989.jpg

IMG_20170104_143532930.jpg

and loops around Dunham Massey and back,

IMG_20170104_150328732.jpg

IMG_20170104_151145757.jpg

Coffee and cake at Red House Farm were required after being sprayed by the gritter...

IMG_20170104_152910571.jpg

IMG_20170104_160241375.jpg

then home on the A57 Cadishead Way through Irlam, skirting Eccles by taking the Port Salford Greenway to Winton.

I was intending to go to High Legh, but took a left to Dunham instead when I decided that I coudn't face the hill! it was lovely and I got cold stopping for pictures. It was going well so I changed my mind about stopping for a coffee until I got gritted!!...... by a gritting machine coming towards me gritting it's gritty grit leaving me and bike all set to cope with the expected deep freeze! Grrr!

IMG_20170104_160218033.jpg

All I could think of to do was to hold my breath lol. It did sting my legs a bit, glad I was completely covered up apart from the lower part of my face. It was on a country lane near Dunham Massey and I had just gone over one of the humpback bridges and rounded a corner, there was nowhere to go to avoid it.

Just a commute for me too, five miles to Ely station and then the five miles home again.

Not too bad this morning, a hefty tailwind saw me at the station nearly 10 mins faster than usual. Saw a buzzard near California, then out of Downham, onto the Ely Road for the steady climb (well, what passes for it out here) into town. Incident free until the mini roundabout at the junction between Prickwillow Road and Lisle Lane, where I was close passed by a 4x4 as we both turned into Lisle Lane - he was about a foot away from my right elbow yelling through an open window about why I wasn't in the cycle lane. Yes, there is one (shared with pedestrians), but I can't actually join it at that point because it's raised 6 ins above the road and there aren't any drop kerbs. What's a girl to do?

On my way back to Kings Cross I did nip into the big Cycle Surgery on Pentonville Road to try on some winter gloves rather than play "guess the size" online. I've found some that fit (alleluia!), just need to see where I can get them for the best price.

Homeward bound I had to contend with a killer headwind and legs that'd gone on strike. That wasn't nice. Actually, it was downright terrible. And despite wearing roubaix base layer under my usual clothes, I wasn't warm enough. Add insult to injury, I got overtaken by a chap on a brommie... Didn't really see much tonight, I just wanted to get home.

That's it for me for this week unless I can squeeze in a short spin on Friday.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4624912, member: 9609"]a lazy 28 mile in the berwickshire flatlands (protecting a dodgy knee). Cold overcast, a brief sunset, then 10 miles of twighlight, a nice time of day to be out in.
bikesunset_2881_zps7igilr98.jpg
[/QUOTE]

That's a great photo.

Buck

Guru
The forecast was for a cold night last night and a cold day today - they were right!

Rather than going out for a ride this morning I got some of the job list completed and planned to go out this afternoon. It didn't get any warmer and at risk of missing a ride completely I set off around 3pm with an hour of fresh hour planned.

I'd just changed my wheels over at the weekend and the Schwalbe Durano Plus felt more planted than my other tyres which was good since there was lots of ice across the roads, especially where there had been some run off from the fields. I was being very cautious (especially after reading about fellow CCers coming off in the ice weather :sad:) and thankfully no mishaps although as a result I certainly wasn't going to break any records today!

The sun was very low and at times I was staring into the last of the days sun - a beautiful ball of fire with crisp blue sky all around.

It was my usual "quick" route so up and out on to the tops then up the Haddingley Drag and along Whitley Road towards the windmills - this road was full of mud and slush so quite a steady pace here as well as crossed fingers!!

The short sprint up to the Royds viewing platform was very icy - made more challenging with a car carefully coming down the hill limiting my path and meaning I had to cycle over quite a bit of ice :huh:. Safely to the top I decided to stop and take a couple of shot of the sky developing behind me (you can see where a farmer is burning back some scrub or heather)

IMG_3614.JPG

IMG_3618.JPG

A little further on I pulled over to capture the sky again, this time silhouetting the windmills and trees on Royds Moor.
IMG_3620.JPG

Finally back around the quarry and down the hill back home to defrost - it didn't get above freezing!!

Screen Shot 2017-01-05 at 16.40.18.png

https://www.strava.com/activities/822109094/segments/20062769034

12.7 miles and 900ft of climbing

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I fancied a trip to the cinema today to go and see Rogue One, I took the Kingpin as it was dry on the paths and roads along the old railway path. Locked it p outside the next to what looks like an old steel Eddy Merckx.

Just over 6 miles, very cold but bright it's the first time in months I've been out on the Kingpin, 'tis a sill bicycle.
IMG_4658.JPG

IMG_4660.JPG

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I wasn't feeling this one at the start but I met Sara P anyway and we rode off on the standard run around Strensham. Rain was in the forecast so we had chosen the shorter route in an attempt to get round before it kicked off. There was a cold breeze hindering us out over the common so it was good to turn off over the Marsh. We kept it steady and chatted about this and that. Setting some of the world to rights. As we rode back up the Guarlford road that rain began. I waved Sara goodbye as she still had a few miles to go. Me - I was soon home and (still) dry. 34 smiles today.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I got gritted!!...... by a gritting machine coming towards me gritting it's gritty grit

@Katherine my sympathy, I got gritted in the past, not pleasant!

John Wayne - True Grit

Well done ladies :notworthy:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I had a good December on my bike - I forced myself to ride exactly the 529 miles (851 km) that I needed to hit my target for 2016. I then decided to have a few days off the bike, especially since the weather has been a bit grotty here most of the time. The one day that I fancied riding, I had a dental appointment which put me off.

So, I woke up this morning and decided that I really must get out on the bike to get my 2017 riding started. Trouble is, it was wet and murky again. I kept putting the ride off ... I had a very scenic route planned but didn't actually get out until 19:15 by which time I wasn't actually going to see any of the scenery. Oh well.

I mounted the bike, rode to the A646 and sprinted down to the roundabout in the centre of Todmorden, went round it and began the gruelling ascent round the back of our local Wetherspoons. I grovelled up the 4% gradient for all of its 150 metres duration to Tod railway station, in through the front entrance and over to the Metro dispenser. I picked up a copy of the paper, carefully folded it, and squeezed it into my jacket pocket. Then I turned for home!

I diced with death on the way back. Strictly speaking, I rode down a shared use path towards the A646 and nearly collided with a stoned skunk smoker staggering up towards me. I was descending on my left, and he was walking up the path on my right. The path was unlit except by the strobing effect of my 3W LED front light. He still managed to stagger in front of me and expressed surprise that I was there. As in "WTF - where did you come from?" I felt like saying "From out of that pulsating pool of bright light in front of you" but decided not to bother! Honestly, how do you miss a bleedin' stroboscope coming towards you on a dark path? :wacko:

So that's my first ride of the year done; about 1 mile in total. I'm having a quiet night in with my legs up now to recover from my exertions. :laugh:

(I wanted to do the cryptic crossword in the Metro and hadn't been out all day so it was good to get a few minutes of fresh air. It is surprising how even just 1 mile of cycling can make one feel more alert and cheerful! I will make the effort to go out tomorrow and do a proper ride.)

13 rider

Guru
I have had a cold over the last few days nothing serious . But yesterday's commute was hard work into the headwind so up this morning not sure weather to ride or not . Couple of coffees and some paracetamol and I feel OK so let's ride . Just set off no planned route but thoughts off a 50 km . Headed towards the Wreake valley ,Anstey ,Cropston into Rothley .Had to stop at the lights at the crossriads which has a slight uphill start . Lights changed pedel and a metallic crunch suddenly no resistance think the chains come off looks down and there's no chain :ohmy: pushed the bike to the side off the road and there lying in the road is my chain with my awesome power :training: I had snapped it .So I'm 5 miles from home with a bike with no chain :cursing: .So out with the chain tool the first time it's been used in anger. Managed to remove the broken links but struggled put it back together but managed :smile:. So do I carry on or bail . Decided on the cautious approached and retraced my route back taking it steady raining in my power :training:. Caught a rider coming into Cropston and got chatting . He was 70 years old and still goes track racing at Derby velodrome :notworthy: He's entered the masters ( over 70s ) British Champs.Made a nice couple of miles of riding . Took steady up the last hill . Managed 10.6 miles in the bag . A trip to lbs calling this afternoon and some bike fetling call for

Last edited:

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
The forecast was for a cold night last night and a cold day today - they were right!

Rather than going out for a ride this morning I got some of the job list completed and planned to go out this afternoon. It didn't get any warmer and at risk of missing a ride completely I set off around 3pm with an hour of fresh hour planned.

I'd just changed my wheels over at the weekend and the Schwalbe Durano Plus felt more planted than my other tyres which was good since there was lots of ice across the roads, especially where there had been some run off from the fields. I was being very cautious (especially after reading about fellow CCers coming off in the ice weather :sad:) and thankfully no mishaps although as a result I certainly wasn't going to break any records today!

The sun was very low and at times I was staring into the last of the days sun - a beautiful ball of fire with crisp blue sky all around.

It was my usual "quick" route so up and out on to the tops then up the Haddingley Drag and along Whitley Road towards the windmills - this road was full of mud and slush so quite a steady pace here as well as crossed fingers!!

The short sprint up to the Royds viewing platform was very icy - made more challenging with a car carefully coming down the hill limiting my path and meaning I had to cycle over quite a bit of ice :huh:. Safely to the top I decided to stop and take a couple of shot of the sky developing behind me (you can see where a farmer is burning back some scrub or heather)

View attachment 156327

View attachment 156326

A little further on I pulled over to capture the sky again, this time silhouetting the windmills and trees on Royds Moor.
View attachment 156324

Finally back around the quarry and down the hill back home to defrost - it didn't get above freezing!!

View attachment 156322
https://www.strava.com/activities/822109094/segments/20062769034

12.7 miles and 900ft of climbing
@Buck you should apply for membership of the Cloud Spotters Appreciation Society! (it does exist)

13 rider

Guru
I have had a cold over the last few days nothing serious . But yesterday's commute was hard work into the headwind so up this morning not sure weather to ride or not . Couple of coffees and some paracetamol and I feel OK so let's ride . Just set off no planned route but thoughts off a 50 km . Headed towards the Wreake valley ,Anstey ,Cropston into Rothley .Had to stop at the lights at the crossriads which has a slight uphill start . Lights changed pedel and a metallic crunch suddenly no resistance think the chains come off looks down and there's no chain :ohmy: pushed the bike to the side off the road and there lying in the road is my chain with my awesome power :training: I had snapped it .So I'm 5 miles from home with a bike with no chain :cursing: .So out with the chain tool the first time it's been used in anger. Managed to remove the broken links but struggled put it back together but managed :smile:. So do I carry on or bail . Decided on the cautious approached and retraced my route back taking it steady raining in my power :training:. Caught a rider coming into Cropston and got chatting . He was 70 years old and still goes track racing at Derby velodrome :notworthy: He's enter the masters ( over 70s ) British Champs.Made a nice couple of miles of riding . Took steady up the last hill . Managed 10.6 miles in the bag . A trip to lbs calling this afternoon and some bike fetling call for
Forget to mention the cyclist who asked me if I was ok while I had the chain in my hand . I replied no my chains snapped . With that he rode off :cursing:. Why ask if your not prepared to stop and a least offer moral support

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I didn't get out until 12 today, and I didn't intend to go far due to last nights circuits and yoga.

I took my MTB, it started out spotless. In less than a microsecond off road it and I were plastered. Yesterday afternoons rain had turned the tracks to porridge!

I slithered and slipped, sometimes at glacial speed, but didn't have to unclip!

I made my way through Caldecote and Kingston, then at The Hoops in Eversden I turned right to take me up to the water tanks at the top of the Wimpole ridge.
From there I headed on a new bridle way for me. It's very rolling along here, I was on the ridge, but all around looked like telly tubby land.

Here is the murky view toward Herts

IMG_1734.JPG

A bit more off road fun before rejoining the road in Great Eversden.

In Toft I was nearly run over by a winker in a Rolls Royce, so Mr CAV1E, you're a PR1CK!

https://www.strava.com/activities/824030172

Last edited:
Top Bottom