Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
View attachment 156506 View attachment 156505 View attachment 156504 View attachment 156503 View attachment 156502 View attachment 156500 View attachment 156499 Not my ride today :ohmy: but a wee write up and some pics on my recent rides in Tenerife.
Hired a nice BMC mountain bike for 6 days from Bike Point in El Medano, (used them before and nice folk with good bikes) :smile: Original plan was a motorised fattie :hyper: but it cost more than the car hire for a fortnight and was a bit heavy to lug up 2 floors (didn't want to leave it in the underground garage in case it got nicked) :sad: so went for the MTB
Anyway the MTB was fun and I toddled all over the place on it.
Went cross country to another town and stopped for lunch (table for one). Visited the Marina and saw the boats being repaired and the "Yellow submarine" going out to play. There was a wee Segway peloton on the go and I joined on the back :ph34r:
Watched the golfers trying to hit the ball onto the green, over the cliffs at Amarilla. The buggy paths on the golf courses were good to ride on, gave way to golfers :okay:
Enjoyed some great trails with fabulous scenery, then down to the pebble beach and admired the views there :sun:
Travelled along the coast and stopped at a wee beach "shack", had a very nice toastie and a naughty cold beer :cheers:
A few hairy moments but managed to stay upright!
Toddled homeward and met a wee lizard with " sucker feet" put my finger beside him to show how tiny he was.
Enjoyed cycling in Tenerife but prefer Lanzarote as flatter terrain and their fat bikes are cheaper :whistle:

Cheat.
It's just not fair.....

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
A swift 20k yesterday nipping over to the airport and back. Jolly nice to see a DC3 sitting on the tarmac - we flew in it last year. Today was 19k going down to the coast, with a detour for breakfast and a look at the local waterfall, which I'd not seen before.
Now sitting on the balcony wondering whether to have a beer or a G&T. Life is tough.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Met office said no rain, BBC said no rain, and at 0820 there was no rain. Dry enough for the dry bike, so off I went. All good until the 7 mile mark when a little light rain started, and it started getting really quite misty, so glad I had lights on. By the time I got to Lightwater it was raining really quite persistently, and I was beginning to think the wet bike would have been a good idea (it was having a cold wet a*se that prompted this thought...). Still, pressed on to get my metric half challenge ride done, just in case I drop out of the metric century challenge, then added a few extra miles to get an extra Eddington number. Just over 35 miles today, and I emptied my winter boots of water of the bath.

colly

Re member eR
A few short laps near home before breakfast. It's kind of dull going over the same bits of road and there are only so many ways you can vary climing a hill..........sit down all the way up, stand and honk it all the way up, sit down for the first part then stand, stand for the first part then sit. It wears very thin very quickly.:sad:

^_^ On the up side a quick text saying breakfast will be 15 mins means I get to nip home and indulge.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/12502883

I'm pretty sure I crossed paths with @Old jon. Just north of Oakwood Clock.:hello:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I wasn't intending to ride today but by about 11.30 it was spring like, so I went and put some kit on, fingerless mitts,shorts and no overshoes! It was great.
I only did 11.5 miles and I took my Spa out. Saw 2 others in shorts too.

IMG_1735.JPG

https://www.strava.com/activities/825139910

Old jon

Guru
January still, oddly reasonable weather tempted me out on the bike. Maybe yesterday’s fluid calorie intake ( beer ) had something to do with it also, but what the rhubarb. A well worn route came easily to the well worn mind and off I went through the Sunday silence of Holbeck and on towards Crown Point Bridge to cross the river Aire. That is about as low as the ride ever goes, so its up through Oakwood, @colly does not look like his avatar, past the redundant park gates and another up for Boot Hill, which did feel steep for some strange reason.

Turn right at the top, that’s Red Hall Lane, to Skeltons and then Thorner Lane to that village. Up again. Church Hill is accurately named, and along the road to Bramham, where the video was shot through a strangely dirty lens cover. Hmm.

Turn left onto West Woods Road and at the roundabout, eventually, turn off for Collingham and left again onto the A 58. I resisted the temptation to turn left onto Jewitt Lane, I suspect the steepness might have had something to do with that, and pedalled all the way back to Leeds on the A 58. There are still hills that way, the slog from the bottom of Bardsey up through Scarcroft certainly tires my legs more than a little. Big grin down that hill again, and retrace the start of the outward ride, turning into the street 28.3 miles after turning out of it. Another good ride.

Sort of directions . . .

08012017.jpg

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
45 miles in relentless Scotch mist today. Never really wet, but never dry either. A rather depleted Kingsway CC Intermediates club ride today, with Darren, Ollie, Rich and Matt:
7 Weston's at Much Marcle.JPG

The ride was from Quedgeley (South of Gloucester) over to Much Marcle via Newent and Dymock and back via Kempley, Newent again and Taynton & Tibberton. The highlights were the nice warm cafe stop at the Weston's Cider Mill at Much Marcle (where coffee and cakes were hoovered up in no time) and the quiet, rolling country lanes from there back to Tibberton ... including a nice quiet tarmac bridleway that Rich showed us as a way of avoiding a bit of the busy main road. Would have been great if a couple of horsey types had had even the remotest idea how to keep their excitable whippets under control. We ran the gauntlet, and came out the other end without any dog bites.

On the outward journey, we briefly demonstrated the combined skills of the Kingsway CC Formation Track Standing Ensemble at the traffic lights in Newent. (A truly fine sight as, to a man, we kept it going right from the lights going red to them turning green again, and then moved off smoothly in formation).

Nice to get out there and work off some of the mince pies. Let's hope the weather dries out a bit soon .... so far in two rides I've done 108 miles this year, and every single damn one of them in the wet. Bring on the Spring!
Cheers, Donger.

Dark46

Veteran
Well my first ride out with the KCC this year.

As I walked to the various wondered if this was a good idea as it was already spitting with rain. Then I remembered that it wasn't forcast to stay.

I think a few people were surprised to see me as I've not been out since the end of November. I had already made my mind up I was going on the beginners route as it was to be about 25 miles, which is a good distance to get back to without trying to go to far to early.

@Donger went with @gordyfinbar on the inter ride up to Much Marcle to Westons Cider for a pint.

@Frazzle decided to come with me on the beginners route, not sure why but I'm always glad as it always turns out to be a pass take at some point.

I think there was about 15 people turning up for today's ride. We split into 3 groups of fast, inter and beginners. The route today was to Arlingham and back with a coffee stop at Saul junction on the way back.

I lead the way out of the estate and into the country passed the Pilot Inn and on to the Elmore loop. . The roads was damp but didn't have as much muck on them as I expected. (mind you my bike looks a mess now lol)

So it was to the edge of the River Severn and then down to Arlingham.

The ride was nice and relaxed paced so I wasn't expecting any positive or any trophies on Strava.

Getting to the Stables at Saul I was ready for a coffee and a slice of something. There was a slice of Lemon curd that looked rather burnt which turned out to be Chocolate Brownie.
It went down well with my semi skinny Latte.

From Saul we headed to the A38 and back to Quedgeley. The ride turned out to be 27.1 miles and a average of 13.9 mph. So pretty chuffed around.

Attachments

• DSC_0176.JPG
    DSC_0176.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 59
  • DSC_0174.JPG
    DSC_0174.JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 61
  • DSC_0173.JPG
    DSC_0173.JPG
    158.8 KB · Views: 66
  • DSC_0172.JPG
    DSC_0172.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 67

Smithbat

Getting there, one ride at a time.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
John B was up for an outing so we met up and headed south in mistiness over the common for Bromsberrow. The chat was flowing well as we hadn't seen each other for quite a while. We took the Ryton dodge for Dymock and Kempley to take to Gwynne's Hill. I hadn't been along this lane for a while. The Gloucester club came the other way with much "Hi" going on even if the mist persisted. Next is that horrid steep thing up to Lyne Down (should be Lyne Up really). Not long now along the flanks of the Marcles to The Nest. That's a renaming of an old favourite cafe at The Verzons. Plenty of riders were inside and plenty more showed up as we sat to our chat and refreshments.

The rain came on. Now that was unexpected - another poor weather forecast. At least it wasn't too cold or windy and the mist had been washed away. John's front tyre was flat and the culprit was obvious - a massive thorn from hedge clippings. He changed the tube but that seemed to be not holding air. After much fiddling a valve malfunction was corrected and all was well with the world again. Apart from the rain anyway.

It felt quite cold as we got going but we soon warmed up over the Munsley lump. Then the climb over Wellington Heath arrived and my back started to complain. John waited before we dropped off and headed for the Wyche. Now my back really complained as I struggled upwards. Not fun for sure. We said our thanks at the top and as John headed off I had a little chat with an MtB rider who was taking his young son out on the Hills. Looks like good fun for the lad I thought. Dead keen to get going for sure. With my back still hurting I dropped off for home, a warm shower, and a change of clothing, my kit having got quite wet. Good one with my old pal today. Now my back needs some TLC. 41 smiles

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
@Donger went with @gordyfinbar on the inter ride up to Much Marcle to Westons Cider for a pint.
Oooh - I crossed the lane just above Weston's on our ride today. I didn't see anyone going for the climb tho' @Donger and @gordyfinbar :laugh:

Actually - was it your group who came over Gwynne's Hill in the mist? One rider was in a Gloucester jersey. If it was then I was the one at the back of the two you saw going the other way to you @Donger

Last edited:
Needed to blow away the cobwebs after yesterday (cat show = lots of driving + whole day indoors) so went out on a ride of around 14-ish miles or so late morning, an hour and 15 minutes. Nice day for it; mild, no wind, roads more or less dry, hardly any traffic. Encountered five other cyclists and one rather hardy jogger.

Had a few routes in mind, but ended up going via California, up Lawn Lane into Downham. Cyclist #1 was pulled up on the verge at the top of Lawn Lane having a snack - he had a touring bike with panniers on the back. Fizzed through Downham, and instead of going right down Mill Hill, kept on straight along High Road. Came across cyclist #2 riding in the opposite direction. A bit further on, noticed someone had fly-tipped a whole load of junk in a field near Red Caps Lane. Not good. :cursing:

Nice ride from then on up to Way Head, where I was overtaken by cyclists #3 & #4, both wearing Ely CC kit. Shortly after, I found them stopped by the side of the road mending a back wheel puncture. Asked if they were OK, they said yes and waved me on my way. Carried on down Way Head Drove into Coveney, past St Peter-Ad-Vincula and left into School Lane, heading towards Ely.

Encountered the rather hardy jogger on Green Drove, just before it meets West Fen Road. Carried on along West Fen Road, past Isle Vets (and rode through a load of horse poo - not much choice there, it was all over the road). Turned left onto the A10 for the short stretch up to the football ground. Left on the roundabout took me onto the B1411. Spotted cyclist #5 whizzing down the hill as I was riding up it.

From there it's the same three miles home as my commute; Ely Road, Brick Kiln Lane, California etc. Much nicer to ride when I'm in lycra, the legs are co-operating, when I've no backpack, nor weighed down by the gubbins I need for the day. All in all, a very enjoyable ride that, compared to Wednesday night's commute, didn't really feel like hard work at all. :dance:

Was home just in time for a well-deserved lunch - roast beef & mustard sandwich, tea and a couple of clementines. :hungry:

Last edited:
Top Bottom