Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rustybucket

Veteran
Met office said no rain, BBC said no rain, and at 0820 there was no rain. Dry enough for the dry bike, so off I went. All good until the 7 mile mark when a little light rain started, and it started getting really quite misty, so glad I had lights on. By the time I got to Lightwater it was raining really quite persistently, and I was beginning to think the wet bike would have been a good idea (it was having a cold wet a*se that prompted this thought...). Still, pressed on to get my metric half challenge ride done, just in case I drop out of the metric century challenge, then added a few extra miles to get an extra Eddington number. Just over 35 miles today, and I emptied my winter boots of water of the bath.

All 3 of my weather Apps on my phone said no rain! So didn't take any wet kit out with me! Lucky I had my gilet to use for abit of protection from the rain.

I've learnt my lesson to always take out a waterproof with me in my back pocket!

Glow worm

Legendary Member
A nice 23 miler here this afternoon. I'd heard rumours of waxwings in Cherry Hinton near Cambridge so off I went there first.

IMGP0034.JPG

Not great pics but it was good to see them (11 in total)

IMGP0028.JPG

A v. blurry waxwing!

A small group of folks had gathered to admire the birds. After a while I headed off out onto the Fen past Quy and Lode, (dicing with death on the B1102) and on to Burwell Fen near Wicken. Had a great view of a barn owl near Swaffham Prior.

There are still plenty of short eared owls on Burwell Fen and I saw three or four today. Headed home at dusk- now noticeably later than a couple of weeks ago.

I've just hosed half the county off the bike - it's really hard work keeping it clean in winter!

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Front tyre was a touch soft again (down to 80psi) after being left overnight so pumped it up and will sort it this week (no time today), then out just after 9am with no particular plan other than to go for a ride.

Up onto Coal Road where after just a few hundred yards I got stopped at a Stop / Go board - the lad operating it apologised and we had a quick chat about bikes. Apparently he'd have rather been out on a bike this morning too :smile:

Back on my way and then left onto Red Hall Lane, then the A58 and onto Whin Moor Lane, which unlike last week was a) open and b) ice free so the twisty route into Shadwell and then a right and back down the hill through the village, across Bay Horse Lane, the sharp climb back up to the A58 and across onto Carr Lane.
The usual twisty, lumpy route into Thorner, where I stopped to find out what was rattling.
Nothing, apparently, so on my way again and onto Milner Lane and the even sharper climb onto the ridge where two guys were fettling a bike at the roadside.
"Alright lads?" "Aye, just trying to sort these mudguards out" - well, we've all been there! :laugh:
Along the ridge and up to Rigton Green, where the road was as muddy as ever, so this time I took Compton Lane, which got marginally better after a couple of hundred yards. Eventually reached the Jewitt Lane junction where I did what any good cyclist would do and let gravity take over for the long and occasionally twisty descent all the way down to Collingham and the A58.
A brief squirt along the A58 to the A659 and the climb up to Wattle Syke Roundabout. Fairly busy even on a Sunday morning, but for a change everyone was playing nicely, so it was across the roundabout, under the A1(M) and then into the little layby for a quick drink.

Back on and down to Boston Spa, reminding myself what a rubbish surface this road has.:hyper:
Past the garage (diesel 128.9 a litre :eek: ) and then right, right and left and on to Clifford, passing the guys who'd been mudguard fettling earlier heading the other way. Through Clifford and down the hill to Bramham, with the quick run spoilt by temporary traffic lights - on red, obvs :rolleyes:
Climbed back out of Bramham towards the bridge over the A1(M) where I stopped for Haribo and a photo:
IMG_20170108_104221406_000.jpg

Quite a few cyclists passed as I was having a breather, including a couple on a tandem. It was soon time to be back on my way (too cold for loitering about), so over the bridge for the climb up Thorner Road.
As I was slogging up the hill, I'm fairly sure @Old jon came flying past in the opposite direction down the hill - reading his ride report it seems like it was him :hello:
Right onto Thorner Lane and through the dip, gaining on a guy on a flat bar bike - but before I could catch him I was passed by two other cyclists and then a third just after catching him :rolleyes:
Left onto Milner Lane and back along to Thorner, down the hill this time. Through the village and the inevitable climb up Sandhills (Van Zyl Hill), before Skeltons Lane, Coal Road and back down to home.

23.47 miles (37.77km) in 1h 49m at an average of 12.8mph with 1,181ft of climbing and an average temperature of 4.6°C.
Happy to get some decent miles in two days on the bounce and can live with the slower average speed due to the extra climbing and crappier road surfaces (in every sense) today.
Surprised that the average temp was colder today than yesterday as it didn't feel it (although it certainly wasn't warm).
Not surprised though that the bike was absolutely filthy again - thank goodness for mudguards. Still, I'd rather clean the bike after riding the lanes than just ride on the main roads.

Another bonus was that there were loads of cyclists out today - it was almost like summer had arrived there were that many of us out there!

And finally, a map:
08012017.JPG

13 rider

Guru
After yesterday's aborted ride due to a snapped chain and halfords not having the correct chain my commuting hybrid was rudely awaken on a Sunday morning . I had arranged to meet Steve a work colleague who hasn't riden a lot last year so is considerably slower than me so the hybrid will slow me down and hopefully match are speeds . Out at 0900 to meeting point in Rothley via Anstey and Cropston . Got there first and Steve soon arrived after a chat about distance and time we decided on a route . Back to Cropston and headed rounded the back of Bradgate park and carried on pass the golf course . Swung left back towards the park and then back to the park and down warren hill and through Swithland ,Woodhouse ,Quorn and Mountsorrel where Steve turned for home having done 15 miles which he was well happy at . Me riding the hybrid and him on his Boardman roadie workout just about right with me still putting in an effort instead of having a easy ride on my roadie . When Steve turned off I got 18.5 miles in the bag so what the heck a 50 km is doable so carried on through Mountsorrel left at crossroads in Rothley over the river and then Cossington ,Sileby and back over the river to Mountsorrel again then took my commuting route home so the hybrid knew where it was going . Home with 32.7 miles in the bag a really enjoyable ride and a nice change to do a longer ride on the hybrid but it's much harder work than the roadie . Absolutely loads of riders out and about today .

Last edited:

iandg

Legendary Member
Opened my account for the 1/2 century challenge. A nice steady 10-14 mph southerly wind with no gusts so took the opportunity to ride the fixed (48x21).Out into a cross/head wind to Callanish via the gradual gradient of the single track Pentland Road (only saw one car in about 20km). Then a wind assisted climb to Achmor and back onto the single track 'A858' and back to Stornoway.

https://www.strava.com/activities/825343283

15940636_10154902949322486_8147331763594786849_n.jpg

The Pentland Road

15825810_10154902828597486_3292371901140185528_n.jpg

@ Callanish Stones

15895068_10154902827417486_4811822313894279039_n.jpg

The climb to Achmor

15940499_10154902830297486_3498876071757246866_n.jpg

(Nearly) all downhill from here.

15941019_10154902828997486_8440572960319545492_n.jpg

Attachments

• 15940636_10154902949322486_8147331763594786849_n.jpg
    15940636_10154902949322486_8147331763594786849_n.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 43
  • 15825810_10154902828597486_3292371901140185528_n.jpg
    15825810_10154902828597486_3292371901140185528_n.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 42
  • 15941019_10154902828997486_8440572960319545492_n.jpg
    15941019_10154902828997486_8440572960319545492_n.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 41
  • 15940499_10154902830297486_3498876071757246866_n.jpg
    15940499_10154902830297486_3498876071757246866_n.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 34
  • 15895068_10154902827417486_4811822313894279039_n.jpg
    15895068_10154902827417486_4811822313894279039_n.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 39

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Sunday morning pootle with our lass. Decided rather than use the ice bike I would use my lads Rockhopper. It is two sizes too small for me, but our lass rides slow so I put the seat as high as I could and off we went.

12 miles of pootling was quite enjoyable though the gearing on it is ridiculous for riding on the tarmac and the tractor tyres are hard work. :laugh:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
This morning was the Goodbye Christmas Yorkshire Pudding 100k audax, which had a new start point in York and route.

I was riding with my 12 year-old and his first audax: https://www.strava.com/activities/825551910

The organisation at the start was a bit shambolic but the route's decent apart from a busy section out of Selby. We had pre-registered but were in a queue with those who had forms until after the start! That left us seeing a trail of riders going and not the best initial experience for him.

Through the racecourse was interesting and a few riders seemed to find a sensible detour. Then it was through Tadcaster to Boston Spa and a quick stop. Back through the other side of Tadcaster to Selby was a good stint, little traffic and it meant I could ride beside by 12yo rather than behind him.

From Selby it got a little busy in places, with too much traffic on narrow roads. However he decided to put a spurt on with 10 miles to go and kept catching other riders - apparently he'd decided in Selby to do a 10 mile time trial to the end but wasn't going to tell me :wacko:

We were 4 hrs 25 for the 100k which includes stops with a 16mph actual ride average. It's the first time on this new route and I'm sure they'll make a few changes for next year.

bruce1530

Guru
First “proper” ride today after my fall - I’d been out once before, but aborted after 9 miles when I broke a chain... I had thought the bike had survived the accident OK - and it had - but it seems to have suffered from being put away wet and salty when I was in hospital!

So I set out this morning - chain sorted and the bike well lubed - and headed inland for a few miles on a busy road. Got off that road as soon as I could onto the farm roads, and it started to rain. Drizzle that seemed to hang in the air - “wet rain”.

That was a bad section of the ride. Single track farm roads, wet, and muddy, and an area that I wasn’t very familiar with. My confidence had gone, after the accident, and I spent far too much time braking. Didn’t feel comfortable at all.

Met up with the road section of NCN7, and followed that for a few miles towards Kilwinning - felt a lot happier, Familiar roads, less muddy, and the rain had stopped!

Decided to head towards Stewarton, about 10 miles away. I know several quiet roads that would take be there, didn’t now which one was best, so decided to let my new toy - a Garmin - make the decision. It took me there by a route that I didn’t know about - good decision.

Approaching Stewarton, the back disc brake started making some strange noises. Sounded like a stone caught in the calliper - the calliper was covered in mud. Wiped it down as best I could and pushed on.The noise went away - but came back intermittently. Not good.

Arrived Stewarton - had planned to stop for coffee, but pushed on, heading home by my usual route. Back brake not right, but still working, sort of.

On through kilwinning and heading home via NCN73. I guessed I’d have done about 45 km by the time I reached home, so took a diversion to try to make it up to 50. Headed down through stevenson to the old ICI site, and cycled round some of the factory.

I wish I had taken some photos. 30 years ago, this was the biggest employer in the area. The site is over 2 miles long and at least a mile wide, with well over 18,000 people working there at it’s peak. It had it’s own railway station and harbour! My father and two of my uncles worked there. Now it’s derelict - there are a few small industrial units, but the majority of the area is fenced off and relatively inaccessible.

It was mainly an explosives factory, and the munitions were manufactured in lots of little buildings, all well spaced out in the sand dunes, so that an accident in one wouldn’t set off the rest.

I hadn’t been there since I was a teenager, over 30 years ago, when I drove down and collected my dad at the gatehouse.

There’s some great “urban exploration” to be done there, but I stuck to the roads - which means I couldn’t get very far into the site.

Headed back home - 52km, and very slow!

Next job was to have a closer look at that back brake. It was indeed a stone in the calliper - but it was BEHIND the pad, which meant that the pad was sitting at an angle, and had been worn down to the rivets! Quick trip along to Halfords for new pads.

13 rider

Guru
This morning was the Goodbye Christmas Yorkshire Pudding 100k audax, which had a new start point in York and route.

I was riding with my 12 year-old and his first audax: https://www.strava.com/activities/825551910

The organisation at the start was a bit shambolic but the route's decent apart from a busy section out of Selby. We had pre-registered but were in a queue with those who had forms until after the start! That left us seeing a trail of riders going and not the best initial experience for him.

Through the racecourse was interesting and a few riders seemed to find a sensible detour. Then it was through Tadcaster to Boston Spa and a quick stop. Back through the other side of Tadcaster to Selby was a good stint, little traffic and it meant I could ride beside by 12yo rather than behind him.

From Selby it got a little busy in places, with too much traffic on narrow roads. However he decided to put a spurt on with 10 miles to go and kept catching other riders - apparently he'd decided in Selby to do a 10 mile time trial to the end but wasn't going to tell me :wacko:

We were 4 hrs 25 for the 100k which includes stops with a 16mph actual ride average. It's the first time on this new route and I'm sure they'll make a few changes for next year.
Respect to your lad :notworthy: Did you drop you on the climbs again :okay:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
First non-commute ride of the year and also the first 50 miler of the year - albeit unplanned!

Another grey, miserable day with wet roads so I took the Cube hybrid/MTB out on a slower paced go where the mood takes me type of ride. This turned out to be a back road run via Levington & Nacton out to the outskirts of Ipswich, then up and down the roads around Rushmere, Martlesham, Newbourne, Bucklesham, Kirton and Falkenham.

A first look at the distance readout on the Garmin a couple of miles from home (I'd been using it in map display mode) showed just over 40 miles - I didn't realise I'd gone that far - so I took a bridleway back route to Felixstowe and then down to and along the seafront before heading back inland for home to round it up to the 50.

https://www.strava.com/activities/825504767

Top Bottom