Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dark46

Veteran
I should have gone with the Eastgate Cycle Club tonight but as I was unsure of the weather, so I decided to go out early as I was early home from work. I did text @Donger but he was busy giving blood.

I decided to do the same route as last Sunday, so this we not be a long post.
The reason for this was easy as it's many back roads, so traffic wouldn't be a issue.
IMG_20170111_153959.jpg

To be honest everything went according to plan apart from some numpties from work, which kept phoning!

On the last stretch of road I had a young woman who wouldn't pass me, she was only in a Fiat 500. I was as far over as possible, plus a Passage past me. Some people a behind hope.

On getting to Arlingham I took some pictures as there was no mist unlike Sunday. Plus looking along the bank a hunt was returning.
IMG_20170111_160206.jpg

They all seemed very polite and said '' Good afternoon ''. I responded in kind.

On the way back I over took some of the hunt that were on the road, unlike others that had their horseboxes at the end of the road.

I announced that I was approaching from behind at the all waved me passed thanking me at the same time.
_20170111_173143.JPG

I'm just glad to get the milage in incase the weather turns at the weekend too.

In the end 26.2 miles and a average of 14.1 mph.

Attachments

• IMG_20170111_160314.jpg
    IMG_20170111_160314.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 54

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
7.4 miles, grey wintry fog , on my own, no cyclists and just one walker. Had to ride off a spaghetti lunch. Mrs. GA and my youngest nephew were fine company at lunch, but carbs have to be dealt with. Especially on a day above freezing.
47F,8C
Winds S17
Relative humidity 97%
Barometer 29.63
Fog, with advisory, Visibility .13 miles

Needed to get outside and have some me-time, so popped to do the same 14 mile loop I did on Sunday morning; Downham, Way Head, Coveney, Ely, Downham and home. With a wind blowing about 18 with the odd heavier gust whistling through, choosing a route with plenty of hedgerows for shelter was a complete no-brainer. The last mile and a half home was tough going though, as the road is totally exposed to the wind - and it did lead to a few wibbly wobbly moments. Left at quarter to four, was back for bang on 5pm.

No cyclists out at all, just a couple of walkers & dog walkers, and not as much traffic as I'd have expected at commuter-o-clock. Saw a heron out by Way Head, several hundred whooper swans in a field on the Ely side of Coveney and a large flock of rooks flying down to roost. Was a beautiful (nearly) full moon as well, bringing to mind the line "the moon was a ghostly galleon, tossed upon cloudy seas".

Did have a close pass from a tractor and trailer on the A10 - man, those things are really, really big when they're about a foot from your elbow. :blink: On the upside, I salute the very considerate driver of the bright blue Nissan Micra who hung back and didn't try to overtake at the pinch point that are the roadworks leading up to the roundabout with the B1411. :okay:

The afternoons are definitely getting longer, as it wasn't completely dark when I got home. Have to say, I do enjoy riding at dusk. :smile: Tomorrow is looking like a total washout, but might try and get out for a bit on Friday if I can.

Old jon

Guru
Left at quarter to four, was back for bang on 5pm.

"the moon was a ghostly galleon, tossed upon cloudy seas".

Did have a close pass from a tractor and trailer on the A10 - man, those things are really, really big when they're about a foot from your elbow. :blink:

Great bit of poetry, more ride than I would do at dusk. Top marks!

Old jon

Guru
It's a line from the poem "The Highwayman" by Alfred Noyes. First read it in prep school many years ago, and it's still one of my favourites. :smile:

Serious verse, beats the hell out of, no link, from memory

'This is the way the world ends,
This is the way the world ends,
not with a bang, but with a whimper'

Eliot maybe, first read when I was about ten. Must revisit. Thank you.

Old jon

Guru
Yes, T.S. Eliot's "The Hollow Men" :okay:

Prefer his "Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats" myself :blush:

How could I forget? Dedication verse to On The Beach by Nevil Shute. I shall check out your preference, maybe as soon as tomorrow. Changed my mind. Definitely tomorrow. Enthusiasm must be taken in to account.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
How could I forget? Dedication verse to On The Beach by Nevil Shute. I shall check out your preference, maybe as soon as tomorrow. Changed my mind. Definitely tomorrow. Enthusiasm must be taken in to account.
Mutifoliate rose,
of deaths' twilight kingdom,
The hope only
of empty men

Cryptic reference to Dantes' Inferno, I'd guess. I thought that was the neatest line ever.

Top Bottom