Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
It supposedly refers to the newspaper - New York World - that originally sponsored the event. (Though that is disputed.)

That would make sense.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I let the world warm up a bit before venturing out, but it was still brass monkeys!
I rolled down to Toft, my tractor tyres buzzing away. Through Comberton and then across the A603 to Harlton.
Back over the A603 into Great Eversden and after a 1/4 of a mile I took the reverse of the bridleway I was on last week. I was cracking frozen puddles as I went. At the top of the hill I stopped to take a pic

IMG_1749.JPG

IMG_1751.JPG

The first picture is looking down to Cambridge, if you peer hard all the cranes to the right are at Addenbrooks.
The second picture is looking away toward Cambourne, which has had permission granted for 2,300 more houses this week. I'm sure they'll improve all transport links and roads etc....

So I slipped and slithered along, nearly coming off in places! I felt like my bike was revolving as it was slipping so much. The hill down to the farm at Wimpole was taken with some caution today as I'm a wimp!

I had a bit of a mooch around Wimpole...

IMG_1756.JPG

I then rode up Old Wimpole hill and jumped off on the Wimpole Way to Kingston.

IMG_1754.JPG

IMG_1758.JPG

Just under 20 miles, the pictures look warm and sunny, but it wasn't warm at all!

https://www.strava.com/activities/831533288

13 rider

Guru
After 3 days of commuting I had not planned on riding today but tomorrow's forecast is :rain:. So first job this morning was to fit a new chain to the roadie after last weeks snapping incident .Fitted the chain easier than I thought so out the door by 11.30 just after the non forecast rain had stopped . Chose to my Ragdale loop but did it in reverse for a change .Anstey ,Cropston ,Rothley ,Mountsorrel where it started to sleet , sleet hurts when your doing over 20 mph thankfully it didn't last . Onto Sileby climbing up Paudy lane a guy was pushing his bike in the other direction . Stopped to see if I could help but his rear mechanical had snapped off :sad:. Luckily he was a mile from home and in a hundred yards it would be downhill so he said he'd be ok . Out to Ragdale which sits in a valley so it's drop in and climb out this way the climb is slightly easier . Then it's up the Wreake valley Hoby ,Thrussington , Ratcliffe on the Wreake. Back to Sileby via Cossington across the river Soar at Mountsorrel ,Rothley ,Cropston and Home .32.3 miles in the bag so another metric half century done . The sun came out as promised but it was still :cold: out there . Here hoping the forecast is wrong for tomorrow and I can squeeze a quick :bicycle:in

Osprey

Guru
The weather has calmed down today, the wind has dropped to a reasonable12mph north westerly and the forecast was around 3 C. No excuses, time for a ride. I decided to avoid as much of the frost and ice as I could so opted to stay on the peninsula. Set off westerly down the estuary into the face of the very cold wind. Turning easterly to cross Cilibion common, the roads were frosty but a long climb keeps you warm. Very frosty roads though thankfully no dramas crossing fairwood common and the climb climbing up through the village of Bishopston before dropping down the narrow twisty lanes into Caswell bay. A long 13 % climb out of the valley warms everything back up before meandering through the lanes before dropping down to Mumbles head. Mumbles bay was nicely sheltered from the wind then a long pull up Clyne valley befor dropping back onto the North Gower road into the wind. A few mile of additional wetland loop to finish a nice 33mile loop for my metric half century competition.

upload_2017-1-14_16-39-42.png

upload_2017-1-14_16-40-45.png

A deserted Mumbles bay.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Cold today. Mostly because of the Northerly wind. 4 of us braved it. Jose MLB and me in the Green and Pete M with Margaret P-R in Upton. Pete called Pershore so we looped by Strensham and Defford for a crossing of the Avon at Eckington. We were keeping reasonably warm but that wind wasn't helping at times. Just one more loop by the Combertons and we were ordering refreshments in Pershore.

No one seemed too keen to get going again but eventually we did. Pete fancied the loop by Caddicroft and on to Stonehall for Pirton. Climbing Kinnersley Bank my tyre went down. Fortunately there is some shelter at the top so replacing the tube wasn't too chilling. Now we crossed the Severn to say our byes to Pete and Margaret in Upton. Jose and I took the Brotheridge Green run back with that wind hindering the final miles. Nice social outing on a winter's day today. 45 smiles

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Looking at the weekend weather forecast, today was the obvious choice for a ride as tomorrow looks wet all day.

So up early(ish) to see if the forecast overnight frost had happened. It had, so wrapped up well and was out of door just after 8:15.
Even layered up it was blinking cold. The forecast has stated that in addition to the cold it was also going to be breezy, but there was no sign of this near home.
Up onto Coal Road, which despite clearly having being gritted had icy patches towards the side so it was steady away.
As I turned onto Red Hall Lane I got my first icy blast of the 'breeze', which cut straight through all 4 layers I was wearing. :cold:
Right onto the A58 and the breeze became a headwind as I turned onto Whin Moor Lane, which being ungritted also has a few icy / frosty patches. It was freezing. But I was out so pressed on into Shadwell where I was initially sheltered from the elements, but as I climbed up towards Slaid Hill lights I was taking a buffeting from the wind and struggling to top 10mph. I think it was the coldest I'd ever been on the bike, the chill was even getting through the Polaris winter gloves and I was starting to consider putting my waterproof on simply to add another layer. So, as I approached the lights and the first wisps of snow started to blow past my ears I decided enough was enough.
My initial plan had been to aim for Otley so I'd have the wind at my back for the return leg, but I really couldn't face up to another hour or so of this just to reach the turning point
Stopped, messaged Mrs ND I was heading for home and turned round.
Needless to say, the wind assisted journey back to Shadwell was considerably quicker and I was over half way up the climb up Main Street to the library before I had to put any real effort in. Outward average speed over this mile 9.8mph, return leg 13.7mph ;)
Descending down through the rest of the village was interesting though as the roads were damp and it was difficult to spot any potentially icy patches. The unavoidable consequence of this was that I got even blooming colder due to not pedalling, so it was oddly pleasurable to tackle the short sharp rise back up Coal Road to the A58 and the continuing climb to the Red Hall Lane junction, which at least warmed me up a bit.
A bit further along Coal Road, then local roads to home. I did briefly consider a couple of local laps to hit double figures on the mileage but I soon decided not to bother given how cold I now was

So, a valiant but ultimately disappointing 8.15 miles in 40 minutes at a weather affected average of 12.0mph and 400ft climbed. Garmin tells me I enjoyed an average temperature of 0.0°C, but it really didn't feel that warm. Still, at least I got out there and did some miles.

14012017.JPG

The one advantage of getting back so early is that I had plenty of time to clean and lube the bike, which I really should have done a while ago. The chain is running like a Swiss watch now. :okay:

IMG_20170114_111708698_HDR.jpg

Look closely and you'll see the water in the bird bath is still frozen - and this was when I'd all but finished fettling and well over an hour after I'd got back home.
Tomorrow I shall be mostly indoor cycling...:rolleyes:

robjh

Legendary Member
It was sunny but cold in South Cambs today. I opted out of a planned ride this morning as at 8 o'clock there was ice on the road outside my house, but felt I should make up for this lapse later.
I didn't really need any shopping, but the 7 miles to Saffron Walden for the market gave the excuse I needed to get out on the bike. I took the hilly route over Coploe Hill to Catmere End (a road that should be familiar to most Cambridge cyclists), passed by Audley End house, then in the market bought some smoked buckling and a chorizo (it's that sort of market). Then back on the bike and over the hill to Hadstock and Linton, before returning to Duxford via the Abingtons. It was only 21 miles altogether but a lovely afternoon to be out.

Old airfield building at the top of Hadstock Hill.
2017 Hadstock airfield C.JPG

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Always makes me wonder at the thinking behind the 'world series', exclusively played in the states.

Maybe belies a state of mind?
Goes back to the days when baseball was exclusively played in the States, before we introduced the game to Japan and Korea after WWII. That being said, the Chicago Cubs are in for a rude awakening this year. The story about the New York World comes from Simon Winchester, from a book about Krakatoa. There is some dispute about this claim, probably just American hyperbole at the source of the series name. Oh, and Canada has played in it, too.

Last edited:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
With a reasonable 00:30 finish from w*rk, the day was mine to enjoy.. The weather forecast said it was going to be - 4 or -5 first thing this morning, then sunny, so I planned an earlyish, for me, ride.
True to form, is started drizzling, then sleeting. Not to be deterred, I made a double espresso and sat back down for half an hour :whistle:

Eventually, the sleet eased off enough to set out in the hope that it would soon stop. The theory kind of worked, but I did have all seasons within a couple of hours! Drizzle, wind, sleet and snow, plus a few occasional rays of sunshine.
Never mind, I was dressed for the weather, and was impressed with my new Tenn tights! They didn't seem warm at first, but once I was moving, they kept the wind and cold out brilliantly..

IMG_0510.png

Crunchy puddles on the way out..

IMG_0518.JPG

One of my favourite roads around here. I waited for the van in the distance to pass so I could whoop round the blind bend in safety.

IMG_0524.png

I was lucky, and the Breadline in Brixworth village was open for a toasted bacon, brie and cranberry panini with a cuppa!

IMG_0527.png

Dropping down onto the Brampton Valley, it all got a bit mucky, but at least the ice had melted a bit by now!

IMG_0528.png

As I was heading back homewards, I thought I'd head along the canal bank where I lost a bottle on my last ride. I thought I knew where it had vanished, and, sure enough, there it was, exactly where I hoped it would be! What's the chances of that,eh!? ^_^

Untitled.png

Back home on a most enjoyable 40 miles, with chilly feet and ready for a hot chocolate.

https://www.strava.com/activities/831655873

:smile:

colly

Re member eR
It looked cold today. When dragged myself out of bed and got out this morning, at around 10, it seemed sort of mild. I had work to do so beavered away until around 2.30 when I decided it was looking so nice and sunny I would be a mug not to take advantage.
Got changed and faffed and farted about finding, gloves, shoes, swapping lights from one bike to another etc etc and finally set off around 3.25 or so. (note to self: keep your stuff in one place) To be fair I usually do but for some reason today it was all over the house.
I decided on my geared bike today, having fitted a new chain last weekend I needed to see if this was the solution to jumping/jerking gears.
Just setting off I was informed I had to be back for 5pm so it wasn't going to be a long ride. Given the temperature was dropping I can't say I was too bothered.
So I was out for just over an hour and did a familiar route out to Shadwell, the top of Stairfoot Lane, round the back of Eccup Reservoir, Slaid Hill , Roundhay Park and home.
New chain was fine, but it didn't sort the problem with jerky gears. I'm thinking maybe the rear mech is past it. I have had it for perhaps 12 or 13 years so I guess it doesn't owe me anything.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/12579688

Glow worm

Legendary Member
A nice 14 miler here today in the flatlands

IMG_1820.JPG

One of my favourite quiet routes- Oily Hall.

IMG_1821.JPG

Swaffham Bulbeck Lode from the bridge. I bumped into an old pal near here making the most of the sunshine too.

IMG_1823.JPG

Another 'Lode', this one Reach Lode. Saw a few short eared owls in the sunshine and then a couple of barn owls on the way home as the temperature dipped below freezing.

I'd been listening to the Norwich game on the radio while riding, and the misery of losing to Rotherham was at least lifted by seeing a few owls!

Top Bottom