Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Katherine

Guru
Despite the forcast for heavy rain, I still went out for a ride this morning...because it was my turn to lead the A ride again! If I had been on my own I would definately have gone out but later and for a shorter ride. I gave the option of a shorter ride to the other three not going on the longer B/C ride ( only 5 of them too) but they were still keen to do the full 35 mile ride. So, off we went with me battling the head wind up the A6, down to Warburton Bridge and round the lanes to Dunham. Wonderful bacon barm at The Red House Farm cafe sat by the best table next to the radiator.
In the end, I was so glad that we had done the intended route. Also glad to have all the right waterproof everything. I think the other riders will have gone online straight away to order overshoes when they got in!

Archeress

Veteran
Took a short ride down to the Boston Tea Party on Gloucester Road. Firstly dropped off some donations at the St Peters Hospice charity shop then into the cafe. I'd got a few papers I had to read before lectures start tomorrow at university. With my mental health challenged in the last year there is quite a bit of stress and anxiety over returning to studying and I started cutting myself earlier in the day, so I sought a place with people but conducive to reading some papers. And there was cake.

FB_IMG_1484583821376.jpg

Archeress x

gavgav

Guru
My first evening ride for a couple of months, but much needed after not getting out at the weekend due to a combination of work, weather and other plans.

Just a short 11.3 mile loop around Shrewsbury.

Up to Heathgates, down to the river and along through the Quarry, then through Porhill, Copthorne, Nobold, Meole Brace and home.

It was a bit drizzly in places, but little wind and therefore a fairly enjoyable ride as evening rides in the dark go.

Hoping to get a couple more in this week, as not sure I'm going to get time for a ride again next weekend. :sad:

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
I half-heartedly decided to go for another point in the half-century challenge, but my attempt was pathetic. (I had it in the back of my mind that I could get back home and continue listening to the second half of the Green Bay Packers/Dallas Cowboys game I'd recorded from 5Live Extra.) As such, I only nudged out into the countryside for a 13 miler, but the ever-changing sky was marvellous.
This out in Seven Cottage Lane (which now has more than seven buildings. :whistle:)

IMG_0432.JPG

GuyBoden

Guru
After reading about the old airbases found on rides by fellow CC's on this thread.
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/its-amazing-what-we-ride-over-and-dont-realise.212635/

I checked out the old Blackcap Airbase in Stretton next to the M56, which I have been cycling around since I was a teenager. Crowley Lane takes you along the Airbase's original concrete slab perimeter track, a new fence with a CCTV camera was installed last year, I suspect due to joy riders at night.

Here's a great aerial picture, the main runway is still intact, but has a ring of tyres for a go cart track at the east side, the original Telephone exchange building was turned into a Cattery at one time (Not anymore), which I cycled past many times and had a look at the cats.
stretton-2005.jpg

More Airbase info:
http://www.forgottenairfields.com/united-kingdom/england/cheshire/stretton-s1204.html

Last edited:
Looked out the window this morning, saw horizontal trees and decided that I'd do my errands instead of going for a ride today. All went well, until I finished said errands at 1:30 and got bored. How windy could it really be....
On with windproof bibs, windproof gilet and off I went. Not sure what all the fuss was about, I went straight off at 18 mph with next to no effort^_^ That lasted less than a mile, and then I discovered what the fuss was about. Blowing a hoolie it was. Still, head down and pressed on. Never really got cold, despite Garmin showing 3.4 degrees, though I was grateful for the windproofs.
23 miles on the dot, and a couple of well deserved slices of Soreen on my return home.
You totally earned that Soreen my good fellow.

Twas dreich here too. I spent the morning making some greetings cards, then after a bit of lunch I took my Spa bike out, not far, not fast.

Along to Caldecote Highfields then over the speed bumps down to Caldecote.
Although it was chilly and raining I stopped at St Michael and all angels church for a mooch. I took a few pics

View attachment 333469

View attachment 333470

Whilst I was there a very, very posh lady came out from the Old Rectory.... 'would you like to go in and look around, I have the key'

I suppose I should have said 'yes, that would be lovely. Most kind of you!' But I don't possess those sort of social graces. Instead I kind of said something vague about picture taking and sloped off.

I did the loop up to Kingston and back to Toft. From here I rode to Comberton and took a left up dragonfly lane.

At the bottom of the dip on Long Road I intended to engage the granny ring and just spin up the hill as I hardly ever use it. The chain decided to sit between the granny and middle ring, and it wouldn't bight, the rings just spun! So I had to get off and change gear whilst holding the rear wheel in the air. Chain back in and off I went. I'd not looked at the cassette....... I was in the top end of the granny ring at the bottom of a steep hill! Much swearing was had!

So just over 12 damp miles, but good to be out.
Some fantastic pics there . Love the black and white ones.

View attachment 333471

https://www.strava.com/activities/832931906

Today's ride was just a short 8 mile round trip to the quack's surgery in Littleport to pick up my mum's prescription from the dispensary. Just nice to be out on the bike really, even if it was dreary, cold and rather damp.

Bumped into a fellow Cats Protection volunteer who thought I was nuts for cycling in. But the practice health trainer saw me wheeling my bike into the surgery and stopped for a brief chat. Said it was good to see people out cycling, and he did admire my steed. :smile:

Wildlife count: five herons seen whilst cycling down Black Bank, plus one dead (RTC most like) roe deer by the side of the road.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I half-heartedly decided to go for another point in the half-century challenge, but my attempt was pathetic. (I had it in the back of my mind that I could get back home and continue listening to the second half of the Green Bay Packers/Dallas Cowboys game I'd recorded from 5Live Extra.) As such, I only nudged out into the countryside for a 13 miler, but the ever-changing sky was marvellous.
This out in Seven Cottage Lane (which now has more than seven buildings. :whistle:)

View attachment 333662

That lane has always confused me because from Humber Doucy Lane you can only see this row of six terraced houses but I've never been down there to check :smile:

Jon George

That lane has always confused me because from Humber Doucy Lane you can only see this row of six terraced houses but I've never been down there to check :smile:
Confused? You and me both - for years. In fact, I was in error - Seven Cottage Lane merges into Lamberts Lane, which is where the photograph was taken. It's a nice little detour with a great view over The Fynn Valley that takes you into Rushmere St Andrew, one that I'd recommend. (Though at this time of year, the mud and flayed hedges make it an 'interesting' route. :whistle:)

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
What with a combination of rubbish weather, home duties (DIY stuff) and visitations from in-laws I've not really been keeping up with my mileage 'target' (I use the term loosely, and treat it like interest rates which may go down as well as up) of 17 miles per day, leading to the bigger picture of 6000 miles for the year. The numbers allow for a bit of slack, but I don't want to be using it up this early in the year so today I had 42 miles to catch up.
As requested, son texted on walk to school that there were still puddles and a bit of ice, so wet bike it was, now with newly fitted Race Blade on the front after my 'adjustment' of the previous mudguard last night led to a non-rotating front wheel....
Off out just before 9, and I stuck to the main roads as it was a bit slippery on the side roads. Out to Chertsey, then Weybridge, Walton before back to ride along the Thames at Chertsey. Normally when I get back to Laleham I head straight towards Staines, but today opted for the longer route out to Asgford and back. Glad it was daylight as some of the potholes along that stretch would quite easily have you off the bike.
Back through Staines, then Wraysbury, Datchet, Eton before angling towards Windsor Great Park. Opted to go up Crimp Hill to get into the park via Bishopsgate, found the hill really tough today, bad enough to be on the bottom ring of the triple, long time since I've used that.
Couple of quick loops of the park, pausing for a snack and picky at the top of Prince Consort's Drive
17 Jan 2017 Prince Consorts Drive.jpg

Not sure what the building is.
Bit more of the park then home. 43.1 miles done, and back on target

Jon George

After yesterday's miserable, half-arsed attempt at a metric half-century, I put some steel in my backbone and went out and had another go. What a glorious day! I played around on the roads and villages skirting east of Ipswich and managed to cycle off a hint of moroseness. :okay:

Could have stopped for numerous photos, but this - overlooking The Fynn Valley - seems to sum up today's ride for me.

IMG_0434.JPG

Old jon

Guru
OK, I confess. I bought another bike. Lurking on the edge of what could be called my consciousness for some time has been the thought that I fancy riding fixed wheel again. Fifty years after the last time. Optimism unbridled. Looked around at various bikes and decided on a Quella, the only one with mudguard mounts. Riding it home from the shop, last Thursday, there were various bits that obviously needed a look at. Oh, the chain was on the freewheel. So, the tyres felt / rode oddly, the brakes were worse than odd. The plastic saddle, how the almighty doo dah does anyone use them? I already had a Brooks for that one. Brake cables were very poorly run, fixed the front, rarely use the back on anything. Ordered some Durano plus tyres from Wiggle. Who promised delivery on Thursday, 19th. Well done someone, the tyres were delivered yesterday, and fitted, and the rear wheel turned so the chain was on the fixed sprocket.

The ride. I do not know how long I have been afflicted with sense, but I thought a short and mostly level ride might be sense. Ten and a half miles it came to, and I feel black lacquered. The obvious flat stuff near me is the canal towpath, so off I pedalled, now compulsory of course, through the murky depths of Holbeck, turn left off Water Lane to the towpath at Office Lock. Along said towpath to Kirkstall, stop to rest bits that were not used to that much exercise, turn around and back I go.

Nigel at the Nut Shop in Kirkgate Market wanted a look at the bike, so a diversion through Leeds centre was needed, then home I went. Strangely enjoyable, I wonder if it’s my age? A look at the bike,

IMG_1499.jpg

The strange map a bounce back ride produces,

17012017.jpg

And a bit about back brakes on two wheelers, Nortons in this case. I, and many others, only ever fitted the rear brake rod for the MOT. I have lost count of the number of times my bike was checked over at the side of the road and no one either noticed or commented. Ah well, days gone by . . .

Top Bottom