Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Another 15 miles this morning. Out just before 7am, pootled around town, down to the seafront, expecting a downpour and I don't enjoy that so stayed close, also suffer badly with hands and feet in the cold 0° this morning. Went to the edge of town to Kearsney abby to say good morning to the floating birds.

DSC_0147.JPG

DSC_0149.JPG

DSC_0150.JPG

DSC_0151.JPG

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Another 42.2 miles today and, (to mix imperial and metric stats horribly), apparently over 600 metres of climbing -according to Rich's Garmin.

Kingsway CC's Intermediates group went over to Tetbury from Gloucester via the daunting, mile long, 10% Frocester Hill and then back via Avening and Nailsworth. I managed to keep up my 100% record of successfully winching my 20 stone backside up Frocester Hill without stopping.... but only just, today. (Felt a bit guilty keeping the others waiting in the cold at the top, but sometimes you just have to keep your breathing under control and take as long as it takes).

Thumbs up to the Blue Zucchini Cafe in Tetbury. It didn't look too promising for our cafe break from the outside, but they were more than happy for us to carry our bikes through the cafe to leave them in the courtyard at the back. Very nice coffee and walnut cake, too. Today it was my turn to arrive home looking like @Dark46 did last week (like I had just ridden the Grand National). Yet another wet and mud splattered ride.

Mrs Donger served up a nice hot bowl of soup on my return, and I'm off for a long, hot bath. Cheers everyone.
Donger

Old jon

Guru
Wet it was, when I looked out of the window this morning. I must have been feeling foolish, ‘cos off I pedalled into it. The wet, that is. Leaving Leeds, from where I live, is uphill. No choice. OK there is a bit of downhill, as far as the river. Then up everything goes. Which ensures body warmth for at least the first five or six miles. An advantage, if you want to see it that way, and this morning it certainly was.

The wander around Sunday silent Holbeck, for the average start to the ride, escape along Great Wilson Street and Crown Point Road, across the river and ride along the three Rs, Regent Street, Roseville Road and Roundhay Road. Yup, there are five upper case Rs the way I just typed it, but that took me as far as the Oakwood Clock. Up the hill. A short stretch of gentle riding and Boot ( Wellington ) Hill is there to ascend. Oh joy! Cross the Ring Road, along to the pub, and turn left for Shadwell. Left again on Main Street and the wind was odd. Head on. Get on with it and reach Slaid Hill. Turn right for Wike, I do like that road, up and down and all over the place, but by the time I reached Wike my personal temperature had dropped considerably. Discretion, turn right onto the Scarcroft road, which is similarly twisty with its own brand of up and downery to enjoy (?), and reach the A 58. Turn right, carry on to Carr Lane and turn left for Thorner. The road was wet.

From Thorner, I keep fooling myself that Sandhills is not that steep. Until I ride that way. Skeltons Lane and Red Hall Lane back to the A 58, the whistle down the hill laboriously climbed earlier and across Leeds to home. Go around a block or two to cover two dozen miles for the day by the time I reached home, wet and freezing, but happy.

Automatic mappery, wonderful it is,

15012017.jpg

Dark46

Veteran
Today was my 291st ride since I bought my Garmin.

So again it was out in my boil in the bag overcoat as the weather didn't look great. Luckily it wasn't chucking it down so it would keep the cold too. The biggest problem for me was I'd forgotten to put my overshoes on so I was expecting numb toes again.

On the way to the ride I saw a cyclist turn in front of me and slowed to ask if I was going to the KCC ride as he'd not long arrived in the area and seen the club on Facebook.

I would say there was a good 15 people turn out today which was good. We had split as usual into 3 groups of fast, inters and beginners. But the beginners was more of a inter chilled as no one was new. We were all interested people that didn't fancy doing Frocester hill, for one reason or another. Me personally still only 3rd ride since November, I'm not feeling up to it.

The beginners ride was a flatter ride around Gloucester and Staverton, with a coffee stop at the Aviator at Staverton airport.

@Donger was with the inter group and @Frazzle was with me in the beginners ride.

The ride headed out of the Kingsway out into the country via Brookthorpe and around the outskirts of Gloucester and under the M5 through Upton.

The ride for me was going quite well but as usual from me as soon as there is a slight incline I dissappear off the back. I do struggle on hills and have never been any different. One day hopefully things will be different.

The coffee stop came at the right time as my toes were going Numb. Plus due to no mudguards my bum wet cold and wet from the wet roads.

Of course then there is the problem with my gloves. To put it mildly my gloves stink lol. I've been told people can smell them when cycling behind me lol.

From Staverton it was to Churchdown and Sandhurst, before heading into Gloucester and back to the Kingsway.

At the end of my ride it turned out to be 28 miles so I did I final lap to get it over 30 miles today.

https://www.relive.cc/view/832642159
IMG_20170115_131640_751.jpg
DSC_0180.JPG

bruce1530

Guru
Today’s weather here in the west of Scotland could best be described as “dreich”. I won’t bother asking our friends from south of the border to attempt pronunciation.... Damp, drizzle, a bit misty., yet also a stiff breeze at times...

From Saltcoats, headed through the town, then along the old road to West Kilbride. This is a farm road that sits quite high up a hill, following the coast but about half a mile inland. Normally you get spectacular views over the Firth of Clyde and over to Arran. Today, I couldn’t even see the sea!

Joined the A78 near Hunterston and followed it through Fairie and along to Largs. Argued with the Garmin a few times (i know the route well, but was seeing how the Garmin’s instructions compared to real life) - it got quite annoyed when I chose not to follow a non-existent cycle path on the wrong side of a dual carriageway stretch!

Back onto the path at “The Pencil” and into the centre of Largs. Coffee, and turned back.

Followed a similar route back, but when I got to West Kilbride, took a left and headed inland. Followed the B781/B780/B714 and a bunch of unclassified farm roads to put a few extra miles onto the journey. Got to about 1km from home, and the Garmin was saying 48km, so added an extra loop to take it over the 50.

13 rider

Guru
During yesterday's ride which was the first since fitting a new chain the bike just didn't feel right gears were a bit clunky . So I was itching to get out today and try to fathom out the issue but it :rain:so weather app promises it will stop by 1300 so hung around sure enough at 1230 it clearing so bike out upstairs to change and it starts raining again . So wait 15 mins and I'm off planned to do my hour Pollybotts route to do some climbing as that's when the gears were at their worse. Through Newtown Linford and up Ulverscoft lane and everything running smooth but as soon as I hit the climb of Pollybotts the gears start jumping in the lower gears trying to change on there own making climbing hard work . So I decide to shorten the route and head home via Markfield back to Newtown and Home . 9.6 miles in the bag . After much fettling I think I found a stiff link in the chain not sure it's how I joined it ?. Remove said link and replaced with spare links . Quick spin down the hill and back and everything seems to be running smooth .

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Twas dreich here too. I spent the morning making some greetings cards, then after a bit of lunch I took my Spa bike out, not far, not fast.

Along to Caldecote Highfields then over the speed bumps down to Caldecote.
Although it was chilly and raining I stopped at St Michael and all angels church for a mooch. I took a few pics

IMG_1762.JPG

IMG_1764.JPG

Whilst I was there a very, very posh lady came out from the Old Rectory.... 'would you like to go in and look around, I have the key'

I suppose I should have said 'yes, that would be lovely. Most kind of you!' But I don't possess those sort of social graces. Instead I kind of said something vague about picture taking and sloped off.

I did the loop up to Kingston and back to Toft. From here I rode to Comberton and took a left up dragonfly lane.

At the bottom of the dip on Long Road I intended to engage the granny ring and just spin up the hill as I hardly ever use it. The chain decided to sit between the granny and middle ring, and it wouldn't bight, the rings just spun! So I had to get off and change gear whilst holding the rear wheel in the air. Chain back in and off I went. I'd not looked at the cassette....... I was in the top end of the granny ring at the bottom of a steep hill! Much swearing was had!

So just over 12 damp miles, but good to be out.

IMG_1760.JPG

https://www.strava.com/activities/832931906

Hopey

In keeping with my goal of exploring as much of the surrounding countryside as possible (one of the reasons I got the bike), I decided to head for Penicuik yesterday. Many popular cycle routes apparently go through that town, and the surrounding area is a part of some Sportives that I'm looking at attempting in the summer, so I felt it would be helpful to know how far out it is, and what the roads are like.

Went the long way down via NCN1, which goes in the opposite direction then turns back on itself before merging onto NCN196 to Penicuik and joining a wonderful 7 mile footpath from Dalkeith to Penicuik. Though the path was 50% ice, it was a joy to ride on. Bridges overlooking stunning vistas (rivers and frozen riverbanks), with hills and forests galore. Lots of families and dog walkers, but everyone was polite enough when I announced my presence and gave my thank yous.

Learned a couple of things too: 1) frozen leaves are worse than frozen water, 2) sliding sideways on ice while simultaneously going forward at the same time is terrifying but exhilarating once you get yourself back under control, 3) Cycling at the same pace on level ground in the freezing cold for more than a few miles really numbs the bum. I started to miss hills!

Got to Penicuik, took out my lunch (thanks to Mrs RDW for that) and bought a cup of tea from Greggs. I got a lot of stares due to my cycling attire. A lot of stares. I used wear a lot of kilts at various festivals in Europe, so I'm used to stares, but I thought wearing cycling gear was somewhat normal here. I don't know whether people were enamoured or disgusted, but most folks passing couldn't keep their eyes off of my lycra clad legs. Regardless, I took the gaze from their hungry eyes with pride!
A phone call from the wife then informed me that me were meeting friends in an hour. I'd forgotten all about it, so decided that instead of taking the long route back (1 hr 30) I'd risk the main road back to Edinburgh - turns out I had nothing to fear. Took me around 20 minutes to get back into the Edinburgh city limits, then once I was back in my home territory I was fine. There's a part of the road where it passes the entrance onto the bypass, and for a few seconds I was terrified of getting a left hook from someone who didn't know how to merge onto the sliproad from the roundabout properly, but I survived.

Got home with 10 minutes to spare. Quick shower and we were ready to go. I've explored a lot of the south now - next week I think I'll head east.

<iframe height='405' width='590' frameborder='0' allowtransparency='true' scrolling='no' src='View: https://www.strava.com/activities/831603603/embed/0beba397203433321feab0a181aa0960a76cbea6
'></iframe>

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Given it was raining this morning, I figured I'd do a bit of DIY then go out after lunch. After lunch it was still raining, so more DIY...
After dinner, it was dry:hyper: So off I went, on the wet bike (my trusty Trek 1.2, my first road bike bought in July 2013) as there were many large puddles. After 6 miles it started raining:rolleyes:, only a little bit mind, so I carried on. Then it started raining more, with the direct route home being 3 miles so I headed in that general direction. The rain was on/off so I carried on, getting home soaked through but with just over 17 miles done, so I'm happy:smile:

gordyfinbar

Über Member
Oooh - I crossed the lane just above Weston's on our ride today. I didn't see anyone going for the climb tho' @Donger and @gordyfinbar :laugh:

Actually - was it your group who came over Gwynne's Hill in the mist? One rider was in a Gloucester jersey. If it was then I was the one at the back of the two you saw going the other way to you @Donger

@Dark46 is mistaken i missed the westons visit and opted for the merciless fast group ride

As far as pretty goes, Cambridgeshire isn't blessed when it comes to countryside, but old churches.......

Yep, there's quite a few that date back (in part at least) to the 12th / 13th Century. St Leonards in Downham for one, St Peter-ad-Vincula in Coveney and St Martins in Witcham. Then there's St Wendreda on the outskirts of March which has all those wonderful "flying" angels. And of course, "The Ship of the Fens" herself aka Ely Cathedral, visible for miles around.

No chance of getting lost out on a ride with a fabulous landmark like that.

Top Bottom