Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I wasted the entire morning thinking shall i, shan't i go out. In the end thought sod it and got togged up and out i went. Not the best weather, dull, overcast and quite misty, but at least it blew the cobwebs away
20170117_143220.jpg
@
20170117_144502.jpg

Attachments

• 20170117_143451.jpg
    20170117_143451.jpg
    335.1 KB · Views: 45
Probably not the best day for a ride around the various lanes and across the Gwent Levels, but once I get an idea of the route I want to take I'm very stubborn about altering it regardless of the weather.
PICT0012.jpg

Fine, misty, wetting sort of rain the whole time, not a lot of visibility, but not much wind either so that was good. And it's okay if you're more or less dressed for the weather, which I almost was... Saw two other cyclists, one roadie who waved to me, and an older chap on an old bike with two bags of shopping hanging from the bars. Not too many cars on the lanes, bedraggled sheep in the fields. I saw a pheasant doing a roadrunner impersonation somewhere, meep-meep!

Made it to Newport and took the Queensway homeward through the old site - what's left - of Llanwern steelworks, now Tata, very grey and drab in the rain it looked too. I like the Queensway, straight and flat and smooth cycle path alongside, although it does cross from one side of the carriageway to the other a few times for no obvious reason.

PICT0017.jpg

A few more lanes and roadworks and potholes to negotiate after the Queensway before I joined a B road for the last bit home. Busy-ish road, I usually avoid the section I used today, it can be fast, but fair play to the motorists today every one of them gave me a wide berth. A considerate lorry driver changed down and waited behind me until he had room to pass, so I gave him a grateful wave as he passed.

Twenty five miles and rain from beginning to end but I enjoyed it all the same.

What with a combination of rubbish weather, home duties (DIY stuff) and visitations from in-laws I've not really been keeping up with my mileage 'target' (I use the term loosely, and treat it like interest rates which may go down as well as up) of 17 miles per day, leading to the bigger picture of 6000 miles for the year. The numbers allow for a bit of slack, but I don't want to be using it up this early in the year so today I had 42 miles to catch up.
As requested, son texted on walk to school that there were still puddles and a bit of ice, so wet bike it was, now with newly fitted Race Blade on the front after my 'adjustment' of the previous mudguard last night led to a non-rotating front wheel....
Off out just before 9, and I stuck to the main roads as it was a bit slippery on the side roads. Out to Chertsey, then Weybridge, Walton before back to ride along the Thames at Chertsey. Normally when I get back to Laleham I head straight towards Staines, but today opted for the longer route out to Asgford and back. Glad it was daylight as some of the potholes along that stretch would quite easily have you off the bike.
Back through Staines, then Wraysbury, Datchet, Eton before angling towards Windsor Great Park. Opted to go up Crimp Hill to get into the park via Bishopsgate, found the hill really tough today, bad enough to be on the bottom ring of the triple, long time since I've used that.
Couple of quick loops of the park, pausing for a snack and picky at the top of Prince Consort's Drive
View attachment 333726

Not sure what the building is.
Bit more of the park then home. 43.1 miles done, and back on target
You deserve more Soreen for the vistations from the in- laws.

Was in the mood to challenge myself a little bit today - and take advantage of what ended up being a lovely sunny afternoon.

Started off by cycling into Downham. Dropped off a magazine I'd picked up for a friend who broke her hip (tripping over her dog!). Onwards on what has now become my usual loop along Downham Hythe Road up towards Way Head. The stuff that was fly-tipped out on a field by Red Cap Drove previous week has been cleared up and replaced by a very large - and very smelly - muck heap. xx(

Near Way Head was forced wide onto the broken-up and pot hole-y verge by an oncoming motorist who insisted on staying in the middle of the road. :cursing: Not something my knees and bottom appreciated... Up through Way Head after that and onwards on the climb towards Coveney. Saw an absolutely fantastic sunset though, which was a real treat.

Instead of turning left at St Peter-ad-Vincula and heading back towards Ely, I carried on instead towards Wardy Hill. Rode all the way through Wardy Hill until I reached the Social Club. There's a convenient bench to stop at. Munched on a handful of peanut butter M&Ms, replaced the batteries in my rear light and found out what the weird clicking noise was that I kept hearing intermittently after having been made to go rallycrossing. Turns out the screw holding the rear reflector on had loosened, so it was swinging freely about and catching against the seat stays.

A quick fix later and I headed back up towards Coveney (quite a nasty little climb for these parts) before rejoining my usual route, flying down the hill towards Ely. By then the sun had well and truly set and things became decidedly chilly as the light faded. Spotted a melanistic rabbit hopping about on the road verge, and a little further on, a field full of whooper swans. Headed down West Fen Road, past Isle Vets before turning left onto the A10 for one junction. Then it's through the roadworks and left at the roundabout onto the B1411 for the last three miles into Downham and back towards home.

Hands were so cold and stiff when I got back home that I almost crashed into my gate because I couldn't quite work the brakes properly... :blink: Can't wait for my new gloves to turn up. Can't wait for my new saddle to turn up as my poor bum was a bit numb too.

Anyway, that aside, that was an hour and a half in the saddle and 17 very enjoyable miles - the furthest I've been so far. :wahhey: The 24 mile round trip to visit friends in Mepal isn't looking quite so pie-in-the-sky anymore. ^_^

Only a couple of short commutes from Waterbeach this week;with the weather being manky and a bit of a cold hovering I've not done any significant rides for a bit so will have to HTFU and get out there asap.

https://www.strava.com/activities/834652165

https://www.strava.com/activities/835778268

Day off tomorrow so may try and do this months 100k if not will combine it with Saturday's club run,only problem with that is we may be going to the Cambridge winter beer fest on Friday so may be a bit lethargic on Saturday!

Dave 123

Legendary Member
My commute to work had loads of hooting owls.

The return journey was like this

IMG_1772.JPG

IMG_1773.JPG

Nippy though!

booze and cake

probably out cycling
I finished work early today so went out for a 30 mile ride in the afternoon sun. The Serpentine.
IMG_20170117_141032_zps9mqoeddm.jpg

Then up to Tottenham Well, not used since 1883.
IMG_20170118_141019_zpsmyf3jgat.jpg

Work is coming along on the new Spurs ground. You've got to admire their commitment to the club colours as all the huge cranes have been pained blue and white, a level of matchy-matchyness this tragic MAMIL doffed his cap at.
IMG_20170118_141534_zps5mfrvose.jpg

I do love a knobbly old tree in the winter sun, here's some in Tottenham Cemetery
IMG_20170118_143129_zpsngktxevo.jpg

Then I cycled past the William Morris House in Walthamstow
IMG_20170118_151612_zpsxqvtffmu.jpg

Nearby I stumbled across some cool wall art for me to pap some pics for the 'your cycle in front of a wall pics' thread
IMG_20170118_152053_zpsnfsuuhdo.jpg

IMG_20170118_152458_zpsbgkyn7oz.jpg

Then heading back home south of the river, I came across another good wall pic in Clapton
IMG_20170118_154201_zpsbz9p8ghy.jpg

Back through the city and a Gherkin spot, suicidal peds transfixed by their phones throwing themselves into the road left right and centre, thankfully all dodged.
IMG_20170118_155851_zpsihvkfu5s.jpg

And back home before dark.
IMG_20170118_162427_zps4euacno9.jpg

The sky had a weird streaky glow like we were due an imminent asteroid impact. None came, it may at least have warmed my toes up, I should have worn two pairs of socks, but even with icicles for toes it was a lovely afternoon to be out on the bike.

Last edited:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Oh boy it was nippy this morning:cold::cold:
Only the commute in to work, but after a mile the finger pain was unpleasant, so worked harder to build a bit of temperature and did lots of 'finger-cises' to keep things less painful. All warmed through nicely after 8 miles, just before I pulled into work!!
Stuck to the main roads until the last bit, couple of patches of ice treated with care. Might be a slightly warmer ride home...

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
A little over 34 miles today, I've been out before sunrise three times this last week and it is cold cold cold. Numb hands and feet, everything else ok. Out in the car this morning at 6.30, -5° in town and -7° just outside in a spot that's always a degree or two colder than everywhere else. Fark that I thought, maybe ride in the afternoon.

So 13.30 and I'm out, up the hill and out of town. Out towards Canterbury via the lanes still thinking where to go but wanting to get in a metric 50 as I've joined that monthly challenge. Got about halfway there and thought I'd swing a right and head towards the folks in Eastry. No-one home and I didn't have my key, could have done with a coffee. Oh well, on towards Sandwich and a few loops around before stopping for a coffee in the No Name Shop on No Name Street, a fantastic French deli which has cleaned me out on many occasions with their fantastic range of cheese. 20 minutes and slightly thawed feet later I set off again. Another couple of loops around this small town and on to Deal via the ancient highway past two open championship golf venues, st George's and Cinque ports. A loop around town again to get the mileage and then a take out coffee for the train the last ten miles home. Frozen feet but happy.

DSC_0168.JPG

Barfreston church.

DSC_0169.JPG
not your average phone box.

GuyBoden

Guru
Last edited:
Finished work at 2pm and headed home and with the temp up here being ok and NO wind i got the bike out the shed for my second ride of the week / year. Made for the Brechin bridge and up onto the Hillwood , no wind . Took a right up West Drums road and started the climb , still no wind. Broke the hill and on the top flat the trees started to sway and ......you guessed it wind , a head wind to boot. Turned up past West Drums farm and then down Aldbar hill. Rode along the Burghill road and back over the bridge and home. Got a bit of banter from a guy reversing his car he shouted " go on son keep pushing keep pushing " to which i asked if he wanted me to reverse park his car for him as he was making a bit of a drama of it. Bit weird this weather malarkey for January . Long may it continue. Stay safe folks.

Top Bottom