Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Last nights ride home was notably warmer than the ride in, Garmin showed temperature above zero degrees which was nice.
After yesterdays painful finger episode, I found myself hunting for a 2nd pair of gloves at 0515hrs this morning, settling on a pair of ski gloves over the top of my regular ones (no idea what they are, bit neoprene line and stamped BioFlex??). That solved the cold finger issue to some degree, but it was still bloomin' cold on the way to work this morning.

U

User19783

Last nights ride home was notably warmer than the ride in, Garmin showed temperature above zero degrees which was nice.
After yesterdays painful finger episode, I found myself hunting for a 2nd pair of gloves at 0515hrs this morning, settling on a pair of ski gloves over the top of my regular ones (no idea what they are, bit neoprene line and stamped BioFlex??). That solved the cold finger issue to some degree, but it was still bloomin' cold on the way to work this morning.

I've been using these, had them for years, but I can only use then below zero, as any temperature above, my hand start to sweat.
There are made by Hi-gear with Gore wind stopper mittens.
IMG_20170119_073052.jpg

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Out on Patsy #3 The Hybrid (with ice tyres). I'd guess that for 99.95% of the 15miles out to Newbourne and back, the studded tyres weren't necessary and caused me a lot of work. The 0.05% whizzing down a hill at Brightwell made up for it.

Decided to take more photos than I usually do. (I'd like to say I'm often chuffed by the results. Or any results. I seldom see anything more then where the horizon appears to be when pointing my iphone in the general direction of the shot.)

This out at Foxhall.

1.JPG

And this between Newbourne and Kirton.

2.JPG

Old jon

Guru
Gears today, please. Felt strange for about twenty yards, then all was well. The roads were dryer than they have been for quite a while, which helps a bit I reckon, so revelling in the freedom of a freewheel I ( cannot think of an F ) rode away down the road that leads to Jack Lane and a Thursday morning Holbeck. Found the towpath just where I had left it on Tuesday and rode along that to Viaduct Road. Down that, crossing the River Aire in the process and start the long long rise to Lawnswood. I should not grumble, there is time to think about where the ride is going. Amongst other things.

So, the A 660 all the way to the Dyneley Arms, that properly wonderful drop down Pool Bank, the one when there are no cars braking in front of you, and carry straight on at the village to cross the River Wharfe. Using the bridge. Ride a few hundred yards to the left turn signposted Leathley and take that road. As you approach Leathley Bridge it is just about invisible, you have to take it on trust a bit. Turn left, over the bridge and the River Washburn, a three river ride now, and start yet another climb. Farnley Hall is right at the top of this one, the scenery unfolds rather nicely but not as easily as the drop down the other side to Otley.

I know there are other ways home from Otley, these legs may try one or two later in the year. For now, I will settle for the tried and rusted A 660 all the way back to Headingley and the drop into the valley to find the towpath route home. Mr Garmin reports 30.9 miles for the journey, and 444 metres of climbing. 444/0.3048 = 1456 feet of up, if I hit the calculator right. A good ride for me.

More cartography,

19012017.jpg

D

Deleted member 1258

I've finally done it! My first ride of 2017 is done. 42 miles to Hatton Locks and back. A slow hard ride that had me fading fast by the time I got to Balsall Common on the way back, by the time I was crossing Coventry heading home I'd slowed to a crawl, I got of the bike at my front gate and found I'd got seriously wobbly legs, I got off the bike and thought I was going to fall over. Not a nice day for a bike ride, a cold grey, overcast and dark day with outbreaks of light drizzle, the lanes were filthy and slippery in places. My first ride on fixed with clipless pedals, in the past I've ridden with clips and straps, I had some money for Xmas and treated myself to a set of SPD single sided pedals with the click R light release system, the pedals hold well when you pull up but when you twist your foot it pops out easy, just as I like it, I was a bit nervous at first but soon settled down and had no problems during the ride, though I must check my bike setup, I suspect between the pedal change and the new saddle something's not quite right.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
OK, I confess. I bought another bike. Lurking on the edge of what could be called my consciousness for some time has been the thought that I fancy riding fixed wheel again. Fifty years after the last time. Optimism unbridled. Looked around at various bikes and decided on a Quella, the only one with mudguard mounts. Riding it home from the shop, last Thursday, there were various bits that obviously needed a look at. Oh, the chain was on the freewheel. So, the tyres felt / rode oddly, the brakes were worse than odd. The plastic saddle, how the almighty doo dah does anyone use them? I already had a Brooks for that one. Brake cables were very poorly run, fixed the front, rarely use the back on anything. Ordered some Durano plus tyres from Wiggle. Who promised delivery on Thursday, 19th. Well done someone, the tyres were delivered yesterday, and fitted, and the rear wheel turned so the chain was on the fixed sprocket.

The ride. I do not know how long I have been afflicted with sense, but I thought a short and mostly level ride might be sense. Ten and a half miles it came to, and I feel black lacquered. The obvious flat stuff near me is the canal towpath, so off I pedalled, now compulsory of course, through the murky depths of Holbeck, turn left off Water Lane to the towpath at Office Lock. Along said towpath to Kirkstall, stop to rest bits that were not used to that much exercise, turn around and back I go.

Nigel at the Nut Shop in Kirkgate Market wanted a look at the bike, so a diversion through Leeds centre was needed, then home I went. Strangely enjoyable, I wonder if it’s my age? A look at the bike,

View attachment 333731

The strange map a bounce back ride produces,

View attachment 333732

And a bit about back brakes on two wheelers, Nortons in this case. I, and many others, only ever fitted the rear brake rod for the MOT. I have lost count of the number of times my bike was checked over at the side of the road and no one either noticed or commented. Ah well, days gone by . . .

Nice bike.
In 2013 we did the Five Boro's bike ride in New York, after the ride, sitting in a diner near Central Park we met two English couples . After a while they told us that they were directors oda bike company in Cambridge called Quella. They look like nice bikes, fancy one me self but probably won't get round to it.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Grey and dreich. Just yuck really. It's been like that all week. Today I managed to summon up some energy and headed out for the ancient training loop except that these days I take the nicer route back from Tunnel Hill. Not much has altered on the bit of road I haven't ridden for a while. My pace wasn't too shabby but I was still feeling the cold. Ah well got this one done. 27 smiles

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Yesterdays ride, as is oft the case!

With several hours to spare before babysitting my Grandson, I headed out on the CX for a fairly chilly ride around the area.

IMG_0531.JPG

I did try one of my old cut-throughs, but it seems like they don't like people any more. I can take a hint :laugh:

Turning back, I used tarmac through Holcot towards Brixworth, but did a circuit of Pitsford Reservoir because it was there.

IMG_0541.JPG

Nice and peaceful during the week, especially in January. There was a cormorant sitting on the post when I started to take the pic, but it must have been camera shy and burgered off before I clicked the button!

IMG_0543.JPG

Heading back towards home(ish), I stopped at the old station at Chapel Brampton.

From there, I was undecided which route home to take, and settled on Broughton and Moulton villages, all on tarmac.

A really enjoyable 26 miles on the CX before getting home to walk my grandson to the playing field for a game of football.

https://www.strava.com/activities/835964902

:smile:

Not much time today, what with one thing any another, but did squeeze in a 40 minute ride (7-ish miles) at tea time. Nothing special, just a short loop via Dunkirk and O Furlong to Pymoor, and thence onto the B1411, past Corkers Crisps and Adventurers Drove, up the nasty little climb that is Mill Hill, through Downham and then home via California. When I started riding again back in late August, this was my long loop and took me close to an hour... :blush:

Last remaining vestiges of sunset when I set out, fog beginning to roll in, somewhat nippy, but looked rather picturesque and in places a tad creepy. Not much traffic out, no suicidal pedestrians near the village chippy this time. Oh, and they were frying at Corkers Crisps when I went past. Was really hard to stay on the road and NOT to take a left turn into their yard to see if I could nick some. :laugh: The smell was absolutely amazing. :hungry:

Last edited:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Not much time today, what with one thing any another, but did squeeze in a 40 minute ride (7-ish miles) at tea time. Nothing special, just a short loop via Dunkirk and O Furlong to Pymoor, and thence onto the B1411, past Corkers Crisps and Adventurers Drove, up the nasty little climb that is Mill Hill, through Downham and then home via California. When I started riding again back in late August, this was my long loop and took me close to an hour... :blush:

Last remaining vestiges of sunset when I set out, fog beginning to roll in, somewhat nippy, but looked rather picturesque and in places a tad creepy. Not much traffic out, no suicidal pedestrians near the village chippy this time. Oh, and they were frying at Corkers Crisps when I went past. Was really hard to stay on the road and NOT to take a left turn into their yard to see if I could nick some. :laugh: The smell was absolutely amazing. :hungry:
There's some lovely named places around, aren't there?! :smile:

Smithbat

Getting there, one ride at a time.
I fancied a little spin after work, I find riding at night thrilling and calming at the same time. I went along the riverside walk and did not anticipate the flooding and black ice, so I slowed right down and took it very carefully and just about managed to stay upright. Back up through the town centre at that nice time between the closing of the shops and the drinkers coming out to play. A very pleasant 45 minutes.

View: https://www.strava.com/activities/837435688/embed/58efbf4b9110681dc97aca7eb21389ffb1380d9f

Finally got this month's 100k/Strava fondo done.

105km via three counties(Cambridgeshire,Suffolk and that Naarfolk),nice day with little wind; only blip was a totally wayward HRM which I just ignored after a bit(it was either reading really high after sitting at zone 2 and then cutting in and out before sitting really low or not reading anything).

Apart from that a good 100 considering I've not done a long ride for a while.

https://www.strava.com/activities/837227027

Plenty of wildlife about including two big flocks of Swans(dunno what ones they were) along Ten Mile Bank/Blackhorse Drove;

IMG_20170119_115843921.jpg

Also saw 5 Herons,2 Sparrowhawks and a Barn Owl plus some slightly bigger flying machines;2 re-fuelling tankers an AWACS doing a stop and go at Mildenhall,then 2 F-15's giving it some berries above the Mildenhall Rd to Littleport.

There's some lovely named places around, aren't there?! :smile:

Yes. :smile: Out towards Welney there's Cow and Bells Drove, there's a Burnt Chimney Drove not too far away from here either... We've got a Ten Mile Bank as well, though no idea if it's ten miles long or not LOL

I see you're out near Moulton - done a few cat shows there at the Ag College. :blush:

Top Bottom