Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just the usual 10 mile round trip commute to and from Ely station for me.

Really :cold: this morning, hovering around freezing, ice on the roads and a horrible little headwind, but a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do. Legs didn't want to co-operate at all, and at one point I almost turned round and went back home. Took me nearly an hour to do five miles :cry: and of course, I missed my train and had to wait for the next one. :sad: At least there was plenty of space in the bike racks at the station. Oh yes, and I had a close pass by a delivery truck on the Prickwillow Road.

Ride home after an unexpectedly busy day wasn't very much better. At least it was a heck of a lot milder. Downside was some very slippy roads (warm air + cold tarmac = wet surface) and I had the odd rubber underwear moment.

Just glad I had the fortitude today. Mind over matter. Still, it's the second week in a row I've put 40 miles into the bag. Never managed that before... :dance: And I'm loving my new winter gloves. :thumbsup:

Mrs M

Guru

Really :cold: this morning, hovering around freezing, ice on the roads and a horrible little headwind, but a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do. Legs didn't want to co-operate at all, and at one point I almost turned round and went back home. Took me nearly an hour to do five miles :cry: and of course, I missed my train and had to wait for the next one. :sad: At least there was plenty of space in the bike racks at the station. Oh yes, and I had a close pass by a delivery truck on the Prickwillow Road.

Ride home after an unexpectedly busy day wasn't very much better. At least it was a heck of a lot milder. Downside was some very slippy roads (warm air + cold tarmac = wet surface) and I had the odd rubber underwear moment.

Just glad I had the fortitude today. Mind over matter. Still, it's the second week in a row I've put 40 miles into the bag. Never managed that before... :dance: And I'm loving my new winter gloves. :thumbsup:
Well done :okay:

13 rider

Guru

I had a horrible commute home yesterday but the feeling of getting it done is great . Well done on cracking on with it . These are the rides you will remember

In North London for the weekend so took the chance for a ride around Hertfordshire from Enfield. Popped up to Old Knebworth where we used to go a lot when I was little.

Forgotten how lumpy it is when riding so it was quite a test for my fear of descending. Feel like I got better as the ride went on but there were less steep descents.

Stopped in the Old Post Office cafe in Datchwood for breakfast. Was really nice and little....struggled to get under some of the beams!

Ride back to Enfield was into a bit of a headwind but was generally sheltered by the trees.

All-in-all, a good ride albeit slow on the whole. Didn't really get wet at all which is a bonus!!

gavgav

Guru
The overnight deluge had passed through and the sun was out, so got out for a 50k ride.

Headed South and into the hills for some climbing, which I haven't done for a good few months now.

Took the road to Betton Abbots and then branched off to Berrington and Cound, where the main theme of the ride became quite apparent.....MUD EVERYWHERE!!

Climbed onto Cound Moor and then the steep one up Kenley Bank, where I paused at the top for a Chocolate bar and to swap my full gloves for fingerless ones.

The lumpy section to Church Preen and Cardington was hard work and into the wind, which didn't help. I could see a rain shower over the Longmynd and had a feeling that I would get wet before the ride was out. Climbed up Folly Bank, before enjoying the long descent and then a quick wind assisted run to Longnor.

I turned onto the Ryton road and sure enough the rain arrived, which necessitated a stop to don waterproof jacket and back into the full gloves, as it was that horrible cold icy rain :cold:

Headed into Stapleton and to dads, where I had a hour with him and my brother and nephew, enjoying some lunch, but not enjoying the half an hour watching Liverpool's latest embarrassment of a performance in the football :shy:

I also had a look at my brothers new company car, a Jaguar XE sport edition. Rather nice and I'm very jealous!

The rain had passed through, but it had really dropped the temperature down and so it was a cold trip home. I took the route to Annscroft and Hook A Gate, for a change. Had the one idiot along here, hung back as I climbed a hill to a bend, gave me loads of room as he passed, but almost hit a Honda Civic head on coming the other way :wacko:

Arrived back in Shrewsbury having done 32.3 miles.

The bike was as muddy as I think I've ever seen it and so it was a hosepipe job to clean it down.

Smithbat

Getting there, one ride at a time.
So today I wanted to top my nearly 20 miles I did last weekend. We figured a route that would take us to Princes Risborough so we could go along the Phoenix Trail to Thame and then through the villages home. It was lovely, the red kites were flying really low and the sun was out for most of the way. Just as we got about half a mile from home, it started to rain, so all in all we could not have timed it better. 27.5 miles done at an average of dead on 10 mph. I am really pleased.

View: https://www.strava.com/activities/847054874/embed/fd901c3235cdb49e86f6578a744ddc2560da9940

13 rider

Guru
Out today target to get Januarys 50m in . Waited till 1100 for the rain to pass and then according to the BBC weather app I had a 3 HR weather window . Decided to head west and around Market Bosworth hilly start to get out to the flatter land . Just coming out of Congerstone I could see 2 riders in the distance and they looked like @Lilliburlero and his riding partner Paul so put in an effort and caught them up to discover they were females riders sorry lads but they did look like you from a distance :laugh:. Round Market Bosworth and heading home and realised I misjudged the distance and would be short so extra loops in Desford ,Ratby ,Groby and around Anstey before home with 51.3 miles in the bag and kept dry . The bike is filthy as @gavgav said mud everywhere new overshoes are plastered but proved there worth . Not many riders out today did pass a good group of Leicester Forest riders going in the other direction . Like @tallliman makes this my biggest January miles good start to the get and still on target for all the challenge threads

13 rider

Guru
So today I wanted to top my nearly 20 miles I did last weekend. We figured a route that would take us to Princes Risborough so we could go along the Phoenix Trail to Thame and then through the villages home. It was lovely, the red kites were flying really low and the sun was out for most of the way. Just as we got about half a mile from home, it started to rain, so all in all we could not have timed it better. 27.5 miles done at an average of dead on 10 mph. I am really pleased.

View: https://www.strava.com/activities/847054874/embed/fd901c3235cdb49e86f6578a744ddc2560da9940
Metric half century next then ( 31.07 miles ) :okay: has a nice ring to it 50km

Club ride today so back on the Icarus and off to Witchford for the ride to St Ives with a stop at the River Tea Rooms.

Got there to find just one other soul for the mods run:ohmy:.Knew some were off MTBing at Thetford and it has been the Ely winter beer fest but thought there would be a few more bods about.

So me and Alan headed off to find a small group from the Octagon club go by so we turned about to see if we could gate-crash their ride only to find out it was the easy group.Oh well off we went as a two-some.

Now Alan is a bit of a legend around here and this little snippet may tell you why;

World Cup Cycling Champion Alan Newark (1946 -)
The Ely Standard of May 1991 has the following account; “Veteran cyclist Alan Newark became World Cup champion when he beat such cycling luminaries as Beryl Burton and Graham Webb in Derbyshire on Saturday. Newark, of Ely Cycling Club, was taking part in the inaugural Veterans World Cup at Matlock, which attracted a field of 300 over 35s, including the two former world champions and a string of continental stars….The legendary Burton for example once held a world record that was faster than the equivalent men’s best time. So the in-form Newark was delighted to finish second overall to win the 40-45 age group in 50 mins 35 secs, just 23 seconds behind the winner, 35 year old Dutchman HennieKemkers.”

Anyway just to say that he can still drive along at a fair old lick and we got around the 70km+ route at an average of 28.6kph which included part in to a 19-20mph wind and me slowing down on the run back along the 20p road(legs were crying enough:surrender:); needless to say I'm now a bit worn out but good to have a nice work out now and again:wacko::bicycle::blink:.

https://www.strava.com/activities/846837075

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Today's been a really interesting day - my 12yo and myself were part of a club being filmed for The Club with Ned Boulting, which is soon to be on The Bike Channel. Brian Robinson, of TDF fame, is one of the club members plus there are other rides and activities in the club palmares.

The ride chosen was from Mirfield to Holmfirth, one of Ravensthorpe CC's "standard" Saturday rides, then up Holme Moss and back. Only it was cold and wet. One group set off first and the second group with Brian went a few minutes afterwards with cameras. We were both in the filmed group and, despite the cold and rain, it went well. First coffee stop at the Corner Café in Holmfirth.

16174568_10209923647980509_6426647162027633233_n.jpg

Part 2 was from Holmfirth and up Holme Moss. Temperatures had dropped and as we were both riding up T'Moss it was snowing with stronger crosswinds - both of us got up fine.

16406477_1634849976531188_341644005684221947_n.jpg

Back to Mirfield and lunch for the second part of today's filming: a second episode on the winter Roller Racing series at Fausto's. My son raced against Ned Boulting for the show - I'll save the result for the screening but both covered 25.something seconds for the 500m race.

16402582_10158186568450437_3402937928761639826_o.jpg

16299432_709640655871992_1827727298226109240_n.jpg

Overall 46 miles covered, but well worth it: https://www.strava.com/activities/847180609

Oh, and Ned was great. Full marks for giving everything a go, willing to pose for photos and generally having fun with a bunch of idiots riding up Home Moss in the wind and snow.

Attachments

• 16251847_10158186566075437_2267587845399047149_o.jpg
    16251847_10158186566075437_2267587845399047149_o.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 68
  • 16194901_10209923651700602_1365379108406350288_n.jpg
    16194901_10209923651700602_1365379108406350288_n.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
Today's been a really interesting day - my 12yo and myself were part of a club being filmed for The Club with Ned Boulting, which is soon to be on The Bike Channel. Brian Robinson, of TDF fame, is one of the club members plus there are other rides and activities in the club palmares.

The ride chosen was from Mirfield to Holmfirth, one of Ravensthorpe CC's "standard" Saturday rides, then up Holme Moss and back. Only it was cold and wet. One group set off first and the second group with Brian went a few minutes afterwards with cameras. We were both in the filmed group and, despite the cold and rain, it went well. First coffee stop at the Corner Café in Holmfirth.

View attachment 335286

Part 2 was from Holmfirth and up Holme Moss. Temperatures had dropped and as we were both riding up T'Moss it was snowing with stronger crosswinds - both of us got up fine.

View attachment 335288

Back to Mirfield and lunch for the second part of today's filming: a second episode on the winter Roller Racing series at Fausto's. My son raced against Ned Boulting for the show - I'll save the result for the screening but both covered 25.something seconds for the 500m race.

View attachment 335287

Overall 46 miles covered, but well worth it: https://www.strava.com/activities/847180609

So as they are still filming that'll explain why whenever it comes up on the Bike Channel it's always a different programme.

Osprey

Guru
Cold heavy showers for today but that beats tomorrows forecast so off I go. Picked my favourite 50km loop which offers estuary wetlands, hilly commons, Farm lanes and beaches and rocky bays all in one compact ride. Caught in a few heavy showers and the bike was covered in mud and grime, but another enjoyable 34 miles for my half century challenge.
upload_2017-1-28_19-20-21.png

Bracelet bay, Mumbles

Top Bottom