Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Should have recognised that:rolleyes:.Yeh, pretty damn tough. respect to you.

I use a gps to navigate. It has an "autostop" feature which means that when you stop it bleeps at you to tell you that the ride timer on the unit has stopped too. But it doesn't just bleep at 0km/hr, it does it when you're going so slowly that it assumes you've actually stopped.

I got the "bleep of death" a couple of times going up Peaslows :laugh:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
With the Met Office & the BBC weather people not being able to decide whether it was going to rain, rain a little, or rain torrentially, I got out early suitably equipped for a soaking. What has now become my winter bike since the RT-58 purchase (never thought I'd have a 'Summer' bike and a 'Winter bike'....), the Trek 1.2 tyres were pumped up, quick check for nasty bits in tyres and off we went. Wanted a flat route today to push myself on a bit, the legs are improving but still have a real weakness when my knees are bent, can't trust them to support me. Anyway, wet roads but dry skies out to Chertsey and then back by the river to Staines before heading along Runneymede Pleasure Grounds (going to be very busy along here come June, what with the 800 year Magna Carta thingy, we're going away for the week...). Couple of new roads for me through Old Windsor and Windsor itself, before Kings Ride into the park. So much for flat, 17 miles into the ride I started on the hills, and to top it off the rain started just as I decided to stretch the ride to get my metric 50 for the month done early. Still, a brief stop for food and photo, the woods at the end of Dukes Lane near Ascot Gate
3 Apr 2015 Dukes Lane Forest.jpg

The rain never really came to much, and the waterproof leggings stayed in the jersey pocket. From here it was supposed to be mostly downhill to home across Chobham Common and through Virginia Water.
What was supposed to be a flat, easy ride mutated into a tough final 10 miles, even the small hills were hard work and it took my choccy bar and 2 Haribo's to get home. Tired, looking forward to my rest day tomorrow, but pleased to have made the metric 50 with just over 32 miles in the bag, not sure about the 800ft of climbing in the last 10 though, need to plan better...

13 rider

Guru
After more than a week not riding due to weather and work I was chomping at the bit to get out .Waited for the drizzle to slow , its not going to stop .So had a hour spare before family commitments. Out with the bike and off through Newtown linford heading for the hills of Ulverscoft . On the first climb of priory lane I could see a rider in the distance slowly climbing .so competive me came out to play and chased him up the hill ,caught him about 200 yards from the top and pulled along side and rode to the top having a nice chat . Rode together for a mile just chatting realised we lived in the next village to one another. At the bottom of Warren hill we parted company and I headed up and over warren hill and he headed home . 8.5 miles done at an average of 13.5 mph couple of pbs on strava and have managed to beat a lad from work on one short climb .I'm sure he will be happy for me :tongue: especially as I done it on my hybrid compared to his expensive roadie. While looking at Strava I realised the Kom on the climbs is a twenty year old junior champ racing snake who lives just down the road from me don't think I get any Koms any time soon

Last edited:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I took a steady pootle down to the hospital to meet Hubster from dialysis this morning. I took the CX bike as it was off the rack, ready and waiting. Just a smidge over 24 minutes for the 5.13 miles. Blimmin' cold out there today too. I've seen the weather forecast and managed to ride in the only dry hour forecast here for the day.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
OH couldn't be persuaded, so I went out by myself. Plenty of puddles, lots of folk taking the air with and without dogs. One dog offered to chase me but couldn't keep up. Some scouts were out on a couple of narrow boats, walking ahead to open locks (how many people do you need for that?). I almost disgraced myself by being in the wrong gear & nearly not making it up the slope at a lock in front of the scouts! I'm obviously getting better tho', 'cos I managed to cycle behind a couple for a few minutes without falling off while I waited for them to hear my bell.

IMG_0849.JPG

Not quite spring.

IMG_0850.JPG

and not a spot of blue sky to be seen. Not many leaves on trees either. It started raining on the return leg, almost wish I'd put the lycra on but wife tells me that the world isn't ready for me in lycra yet.

A few cyclists out, one even (seemingly) more nervous than I. Caught up with a cyclist who had passed me, but he was taking a photo of narrow boats with the same names as his children so it probably doesn't count. Met a young family on bikes too, dad looked tired. 8.5 miles, calculated because my GPS battery died on me.

Puddles

Do I need to get the spray plaster out?
Its been bleurgh and rainy today so this morning we did essential shoppings for the School Hols, then chores and then we ventured to the country park and managed to avoid the rain... quick whizz around it and then a stop for ice cream & coffee... we noticed the Park Shop was just about to close so we bought the Easter Trail so we could do that another day in the hols... then pootled to the little train for a train ride and then home again, we encountered a lovely cycling man all lycra and carbon who was very sweet and let Maggie go up the big hill in front of him and then pretended she was really fast I think the poor man practically did a track stand all the way up the hill behind her! Back home and time for a DVD before dinner, bath & beds
DSC00551.JPG
DSC00552.JPG
DSC00554.JPG
DSC00572.JPG
DSC00573.JPG

Last edited:

BigAl68

Über Member
Sat looking at the rain until 10am by which time I had to go out. I had a lovely wet and muddy 45 miler out of Bath through the two tunnels and on to Radstock and towards Frome. I didn't fancy retracing my track back so opted to come back along the Kennet and Avon canal path which was wet and muddy so it was a fun ride on my road bike and I got filthy and enjoyed every minute. I had to stop and dunk the rear mech in the canal at one point as the bike sounded like a cement mixer from the grit and dirt.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
OH couldn't be persuaded, so I went out by myself. Plenty of puddles, lots of folk taking the air with and without dogs. One dog offered to chase me but couldn't keep up. Some scouts were out on a couple of narrow boats, walking ahead to open locks (how many people do you need for that?). I almost disgraced myself by being in the wrong gear & nearly not making it up the slope at a lock in front of the scouts! I'm obviously getting better tho', 'cos I managed to cycle behind a couple for a few minutes without falling off while I waited for them to hear my bell.

View attachment 84625

Not quite spring.

View attachment 84626

and not a spot of blue sky to be seen. Not many leaves on trees either. It started raining on the return leg, almost wish I'd put the lycra on but wife tells me that the world isn't ready for me in lycra yet.

A few cyclists out, one even (seemingly) more nervous than I. Caught up with a cyclist who had passed me, but he was taking a photo of narrow boats with the same names as his children so it probably doesn't count. Met a young family on bikes too, dad looked tired. 8.5 miles, calculated because my GPS battery died on me.
The only think I miss about not living near a canal is that I can no longer ride on the towpaths. I didn't like living in N Staffs but I did like riding along the canals. I am seriously thinking about driving to our nearest towpath for a nice ride. Probably Northampton from here though.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
The only think I miss about not living near a canal is that I can no longer ride on the towpaths. I didn't like living in N Staffs but I did like riding along the canals. I am seriously thinking about driving to our nearest towpath for a nice ride. Probably Northampton from here though.

My memories of NW Norfolk, a good while ago, was of quiet roads and beaches. Much smoother than the canal towpath.

Just rides to and from work today. Pretty wet this morning but still managed a PB on way to work. I was going to do a longer ride on the way home but 'her indoors' had phoned me about 3 to tell me to be home sharp. So when I left work at 4 it was straight home. However I have a couple of big rides planned for this weekend in preparation for the Mallorca 312 in 3 weeks time

Top Bottom