Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Longest ride of the year so far at 58 miles. Hillsborough to Antrim and back. It was a nice still morning. Thank goodness last week's wind has gone.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Decided to try and get this months imperial century done early. So waited until it got light and seeing the roads were fairly dry I decided to use the road bike.

Weather forecast aid light northerly winds, warm and dry but cloudy. So I decided to head north of Leicester. Hit three counties, Leicestershire obviously, the county of @totallyfixed aka Rutland and I dipped my toe in Lincolnshire (saw the county sign, road by it and then turned around and carried on my route ^_^).

The wind was stronger than I expected, especially going east or north and it rained a few times as well, also it was cold to start with.

For the first 40 miles or so I saw no one, and then for the next 40 miles I saw stacks of cyclists out, and just for @ianrauk everyone replied back to my cheerful hello :hello:

Rode lots of new roads, some of them very muddy, especially around Belvoir Castle way, 106 miles done and completely knackered.

https://www.strava.com/activities/278981319

BrynCP

Über Member
Just about recovered from a cold/flu with a bad chest, so forced myself out to do 32 miles. One of only four rides since the beginning of March due to business travel and illness.

Was a little easier than I expected and only 4 minutes slower than my previous attempt while fully fit. Stuck to a very flat route, and the sun was out for the majority of the ride which made it better!

Tomorrow I'm going for a less flat 42 miles if I haven't affected my chest!

BigAl68

Über Member
61.95 miles.... That's according to the bike computer but I am allowing some rounding up and claiming it as a metric century. Did a big loop out of Bath into south Gloucestershire and then into Bristol. Stopped for a quick lunch (pint of cider and bag of nuts) and then pushed myself as hard as the legs would allow back to Bath along the cycle path.

That's a 45 miler yesterday and 62 today so I may have a gentle recovery ride to Bristol tomorrow and watch them ride the pave with a few ciders. Also got home to find my new stem and bars have arrived for the steel bike so I may have to go out and get new bar tape before I hit the shower and spend tomorrow morning fettling. I think the legs are going to ache in the morning. Bloody good fun riding alone for a few days and only got passed once all day, just shows all that commuting in the dark pays you back come spring.

13 rider

Guru
Decided to try and get this months imperial century done early. So waited until it got light and seeing the roads were fairly dry I decided to use the road bike.

Weather forecast aid light northerly winds, warm and dry but cloudy. So I decided to head north of Leicester. Hit three counties, Leicestershire obviously, the county of @totallyfixed aka Rutland and I dipped my toe in Lincolnshire (saw the county sign, road by it and then turned around and carried on my route ^_^).

The wind was stronger than I expected, especially going east or north and it rained a few times as well, also it was cold to start with.

For the first 40 miles or so I saw no one, and then for the next 40 miles I saw stacks of cyclists out, and just for @ianrauk everyone replied back to my cheerful hello :hello:

Rode lots of new roads, some of them very muddy, especially around Belvoir Castle way, 106 miles done and completely knackered.

https://www.strava.com/activities/278981319
Checked my strava for my last ride .I was as quick as someone with your avatar initials cc on Joe Moore's lane segment .mine you it was part of your lasts months 100miler and it was part of a 8.5mile blast but I all take it I am as fast as supersuperleeds ( or your as slow as me ) my initials are pp :laugh:

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Anyway.. I also got out on the bike today to knock out April's Century ride. Even with a slightly dicky knee giving me jip.
106 Miles for the day. Good cycling conditions though a little bit of drizzle, but nothing to really moan about.

040415.jpg

Goonerobes

Its okay to be white
Another trip into the neighboring county of Wiltshire for me today to find a couple hills bigger than what we have in the New Forest.

Spring it maybe but it definitely wasn't warm in the northerly breeze when I set off at 10am towards the forest, up & along Roger Penny Way & into Fordingbridge 13 miles later. The roads were relatively dry as I rode up through the pig farming areas of Damersham & Martin towards the first little incline of the day at Howgare Road, a hill I've been up a couple of times from this direction but never with a flipping headwind before. Once at the top I stopped for a snack & a couple of photos when a sheep farmer drove over from tending his flock & we engaged in what was a very pleasant chat which I will explain with the photo.

Turning west at Broad Chalke I followed the River Ebble for a while towards the second climb at Donhead Hollow & caught sight of around 10 New Forest CC club riders ahead which gave me a bit of a dilemma, do I just hang back & hope we take different directions or do I risk passing them & end up looking a clot as they were all a lot younger & probably fitter than me? Well as it turned out they went straight & I turned right but blow me 2 miles later they turned up at the next junction & now I leading their ride for the next half mile or so which felt awkward as i could hear the group calls of car up etc & I wasn't playing so I did the gentlemanly thing & slowed so as they could all pass safely which in fairness they thanked me for.

Climb two at Donhead Hollow I had done a few weeks ago on the Wildcat sportive so I knew what to expect & just toiled my way up before the good bit of going back down the other side & heading for home through Sixpenny Handley, Cranbourne & Fordingbridge again for my longest ride of the year so far of 70.6 miles.

https://www.strava.com/activities/279028608

003.JPG

The two lambs at the at the front of the picture were born yesterday but had unfortunately died overnight from the cold. The farmer who I got chatting to was slowly moving them towards the gate so as not to distress the mum who had only lambed for the first time this year. He explained how he would then catch the mum & get to use her milk for orphaned or abandoned lambs by covering her line of sight & letting the lambs suckle her & once her milk had passed through them she would smell her scent & hopefully adopt them. Although I'm a non meat eater I found this quite fascinating & in fact quite heartwarming so some reason.

005.JPG

A few older lambs appear to have found a gap in the fence & were exploring the river bank.

006.JPG

A bit of an action photo taken on the go as I was near the top of the hill & daren't stop in case I couldn't get going again!!

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
15 miles, into Barnstaple and back, to pick up a parcel from Royal Mail.
Dropped in to a couple of LBSs for a coffee and a new pair of gloves for Mrs DT for her birthday.
Warming up on the way back and the Tarka Trail is starting to become a game of 'Dodge the Grockle'.
Nearly had a head on with one stupid woman who was cycling along on the wrong side of the trail whilst taking photos of the estuary.
Much bell ringing had no effect. She only swerved to miss me after I had shouted at her. Honestly!!:banghead:

Top Bottom