Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
With the van booked in for 0830hrs just outside Poole it was an early start for me, the plan being to get my metric century challenge ride in whilst the van was being done. The forecast was less than promising, with Storm Doris due to batter the coast today. I set off from dropping the van at about 0900, and headed pretty much straight for Sandbanks, thinking I'd get on the chain ferry over to Studland. After 5 miles the rain started, so I stopped and put on the wet weather gear. Good move as before long it was pouring down, and the wind really picked up. Now I'm not a fan of boats, having once spent over £100 to get back from Guernsey via plane/train/taxi rather than get back on the catamaran, so when I arrived and saw this I decided against it
3 Feb 2017 Chain Ferry.jpg

Given the winds were forecast to get worse I also had no desire to get stuck on the Purbecks side, a 25 miles ride back round to Poole. So I took the 'easier' option, ha ha. Nothing was easy today, I mean who made the place so hilly, and I swear I spent a fair bit of time leaning over more in a straight line than I've done in corners before now...Anyway..
Headed from Sandbanks along the coast road round to Poole Park, lapped round that then back towards Sandbanks again before picking up NCR 25 towards Bournemouth. This has to be one of the most convoluted routes I've come across, and I'm sure those chose the route so you got to climb every bloomin' hill. Arrived in Bournemouth and got lost, eventually finding my way down to the pier. By now the wind was brutal, choppy seas the order of the day.
3 Feb 2017 Bournemouth Pier 2.jpg

The plan now was to ride along the seafront, past Boscombe Pier and on to Hengistbury Head. No chance. I battled along the front at maybe 8/9 mph to Boscombe Pier before giving that up as a bad idea. Funnily enough the ride back along the front all the was to Sandbanks was fast with the wind behind me. Things got very muddled from here, as I'd been out for a couple of hours and only done 20 miles or so. The metric 100 was looking to be a failure, and with no planned route I ended up back and forth between Sandbanks and Bournemouth a few more times. Stopped for a couple more photos, Bournemouth Pier from the other side
3 Feb 2017 Bournemouth Pier.jpg

And the beach lift a little way along from it. Defo not in use....
3 Feb 2017 Beach  Lift.jpg

Sorry the photos are blurry, that'll be the rain.
Have I mentioned the rain that didn't stop? By now my waterproof gloves had water in them. In fairness they'd lasted a good few hours, and after a comfort break there was no way they were going back on, so I resorted to mitts. I'd written off the metric 100 by now, and rather wearily headed back to collect the van at 1330hrs having covered a mere 48 miles. Van not ready yet, needed another 30 mins or so, maybe an hour. No worries, I'll go back out on the bike. I'm sure they thought I was slightly mad.
Busy roads back to, wait for it, surprise surprise, Bournemouth!!. That, with a whizz along the seafront, 4 laps of Sandbanks and I was back to the van with 62.6 miles, or 100.7km in the bag. Oh, and over 2500ft of climbing, more than I've ever done on a single ride. My poor Boardman CX Team sounds terrible to, all crunchy and grindy. Probably got half a beach all over it.
Definitely my toughest ride to date...

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less

So, how was Bournemouth? .... :whistle:

kapelmuur

Veteran
Today's ride was inspired by a visit to Manchester Art Gallery. We were there on Wednesday and saw a little watercolour by 'The Manchester Monet', Wynford Dewhurst.

It's title was ' Nut Tree Farm, Nether Alderley' and showed an attractive half timbered house.

This piqued my curiosity as I ride regularly in the area and when we got home I looked for the farm on my OS map. It isn't shown. But a Google search revealed that the house is still standing and is Grade II listed, so I set off to find it.

Actually an easy task as it is on Welsh Row just before the Artists Lane climb, I have ridden past it dozens of times without noticing it.
20170203_103004.jpg

With the van booked in for 0830hrs just outside Poole it was an early start for me, the plan being to get my metric century challenge ride in whilst the van was being done. The forecast was less than promising, with Storm Doris due to batter the coast today. I set off from dropping the van at about 0900, and headed pretty much straight for Sandbanks, thinking I'd get on the chain ferry over to Studland. After 5 miles the rain started, so I stopped and put on the wet weather gear. Good move as before long it was pouring down, and the wind really picked up. Now I'm not a fan of boats, having once spent over £100 to get back from Guernsey via plane/train/taxi rather than get back on the catamaran, so when I arrived and saw this I decided against it
View attachment 336033
Given the winds were forecast to get worse I also had no desire to get stuck on the Purbecks side, a 25 miles ride back round to Poole. So I took the 'easier' option, ha ha. Nothing was easy today, I mean who made the place so hilly, and I swear I spent a fair bit of time leaning over more in a straight line than I've done in corners before now...Anyway..
Headed from Sandbanks along the coast road round to Poole Park, lapped round that then back towards Sandbanks again before picking up NCR 25 towards Bournemouth. This has to be one of the most convoluted routes I've come across, and I'm sure those chose the route so you got to climb every bloomin' hill. Arrived in Bournemouth and got lost, eventually finding my way down to the pier. By now the wind was brutal, choppy seas the order of the day.
View attachment 336043
The plan now was to ride along the seafront, past Boscombe Pier and on to Hengistbury Head. No chance. I battled along the front at maybe 8/9 mph to Boscombe Pier before giving that up as a bad idea. Funnily enough the ride back along the front all the was to Sandbanks was fast with the wind behind me. Things got very muddled from here, as I'd been out for a couple of hours and only done 20 miles or so. The metric 100 was looking to be a failure, and with no planned route I ended up back and forth between Sandbanks and Bournemouth a few more times. Stopped for a couple more photos, Bournemouth Pier from the other side
View attachment 336044
View attachment 336045
Have I mentioned the rain that didn't stop? By now my waterproof gloves had water in them. In fairness they'd lasted a good few hours, and after a comfort break there was no way they were going back on, so I resorted to mitts. I'd written off the metric 100 by now, and rather wearily headed back to collect the van at 1330hrs having covered a mere 48 miles. Van not ready yet, needed another 30 mins or so, maybe an hour. No worries, I'll go back out on the bike. I'm sure they thought I was slightly mad.
Busy roads back to, wait for it, surprise surprise, Bournemouth!!. That, with a whizz along the seafront, 4 laps of Sandbanks and I was back to the van with 62.6 miles, or 100.7km in the bag. Oh, and over 2500ft of climbing, more than I've ever done on a single ride. My poor Boardman CX Team sounds terrible to, all crunchy and grindy. Probably got half a beach all over it.
You have definitely ticked off rule 5 for the year @cosmicbike

galaxy

Veteran
View attachment 336033
View attachment 336043
View attachment 336044
View attachment 336045
Get afew pictures of the van up.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....

Old jon

Guru
All sorts of different today, the jaunt around Holbeck had to be modified, Water Lane at the junction with Victoria Road is now an excavation. I almost asked if any mummies had been found. So, under the Dark Arches and a right turn to bring me back on track, which will not work on a weekday, the road is well busy. Anyway, cross the river at Crown Point Bridge and bumble about to the bottom of Roundhay Road and the climb to the Clock at Oakwood, Potts number two for the weekend, there was a mantel Potts in one of the cafes visited yesterday. Some folk must have had large mantels. Boot Hill next, first ascent this century sat on the saddle all the way up. It had occurred to me earlier, all those gears, let’s use them, stay in the saddle all ride long. Idiot I am, but I almost succeeded. Across the Ring Road, along to the pub and turn left on Whin Moor Lane, thank you Google, I have yet to see a street name there.

Turn left on Shadwell Main Street, continue to Slaid Hill and right at the lights. If you have the impression that I like the next stretch of road, yup you are right. East Keswick, and the road is a bit odd. It does not look to be a hill, but it certainly rises. To such a degree that when passing the third Potts of the weekend I forgot my earlier idea and stood out of the saddle. Remembered, sat down and changed down. And slowed down, that bit is a hill.

Turn right at the A 659, and left on the A 58 in Collingham. Knowing that the ascent of Jewitt Lane is not easy out of the saddle, I carried on a little further and turned right onto Wattle Syke, along to the roundabout and right again for Bramham and a bit of a cross breeze. Turn right for Thorner, down the dip and up yet again, still in the saddle but almost at the bottom of the gear barrel. Church Hill is more fun descending, through the village and of course, I had forgotten Sandhills! I ran out of low gears on the second instalment of that, but managed to keep pedalling, thankful that almost all the rest of the ride was downhill. Thirty one point three miles on a bright day. Lots of other cyclists out, including a couple on a tandem. Brilliant!

All things computer are now doing what they should, including the map.

04022017.jpg

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
The sun was shining. Well that's what some folk told me. I'd forgotten what it looked like. Steve E, Sara P and I rode over to Upton to meet John G. An email snafu meant he'd turned out an hour earlier so had headed off on his own. We three took to the Castlemorton lanes but with a jink by Hillend just for a change. Water on the Marsh was glinting in the sun. The bridge at Pendock was being worked on but us two wheelers could get through OK. Then it was the Redmarley climb with snowdrops freshly out and gleaming white in the sun. Around by Donnington lined us up for Mrs Muffin's cafe in Ledbury.

Sara regaled us with tales of her ride in Columbia. It sure sounded a great adventure. Eventually it was time to head homeward. I met Carl and Lisa T as we were climbing back on the bikes so had a brief chat. Then it was over to the Wyche for a bit of a climb before saying our byes. I couldn't quite reach 40 mph on the drop away from the Hill. Just a tad too much of a breeze but it had been a very pleasant outing today indeed. 37 smiles

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
All sorts of different today, the jaunt around Holbeck had to be modified, Water Lane at the junction with Victoria Road is now an excavation. I almost asked if any mummies had been found. So, under the Dark Arches and a right turn to bring me back on track, which will not work on a weekday, the road is well busy. Anyway, cross the river at Crown Point Bridge and bumble about to the bottom of Roundhay Road and the climb to the Clock at Oakwood, Potts number two for the weekend, there was a mantel Potts in one of the cafes visited yesterday. Some folk must have had large mantels. Boot Hill next, first ascent this century sat on the saddle all the way up. It had occurred to me earlier, all those gears, let’s use them, stay in the saddle all ride long. Idiot I am, but I almost succeeded. Across the Ring Road, along to the pub and turn left on Whin Moor Lane, thank you Google, I have yet to see a street name there.

Turn left on Shadwell Main Street, continue to Slaid Hill and right at the lights. If you have the impression that I like the next stretch of road, yup you are right. East Keswick, and the road is a bit odd. It does not look to be a hill, but it certainly rises. To such a degree that when passing the third Potts of the weekend I forgot my earlier idea and stood out of the saddle. Remembered, sat down and changed down. And slowed down, that bit is a hill.

Turn right at the A 659, and left on the A 58 in Collingham. Knowing that the ascent of Jewitt Lane is not easy out of the saddle, I carried on a little further and turned right onto Wattle Syke, along to the roundabout and right again for Bramham and a bit of a cross breeze. Turn right for Thorner, down the dip and up yet again, still in the saddle but almost at the bottom of the gear barrel. Church Hill is more fun descending, through the village and of course, I had forgotten Sandhills! I ran out of low gears on the second instalment of that, but managed to keep pedalling, thankful that almost all the rest of the ride was downhill. Thirty one point three miles on a bright day. Lots of other cyclists out, including a couple on a tandem. Brilliant!

All things computer are now doing what they should, including the map.

View attachment 336115

That road from Slaid Hill to East Keswick is always fun, especially if you manage to get your timing between cars just right - and that is certainly a hill out of East Keswick. Have you tried turning right just before the village on Keswick Lane to the A58 and then tackling Rigton Bank (usually from a dead stop at the traffic lights)? That will definitely have you out of the saddle :laugh: - I thought I was going to pop a lung out the first time I tried it. ;)

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
A glorious day today for a ride, but I was otherwise obliged with other stuff. Luckily we got through things quicker than we thought and when Mrs ND suggested I get a quick bike ride in I didn't need asking twice.
I was always going to be limited for time, so with just an hour and a half max to play with it was a quick local loop to warm the legs, then out on Coal Road as far as Skeltons Lane heading for Thorner. Going down Sandhills (Van Zyl Hill) is always fun by by 'eck its a lumpy surface, especially at 30+mph.
Anyhow, grin established it was through the village and at the bottom of Church hill I turned onto Milner Lane for the little dip, then the climb up onto the ridge.
Regulars know what a sharp swine of a hill this is, and you can imagine my delight as I went to shift onto the smaller cog at the front I got a 'whirr, whirr, clunk' and a loss of drive as the chain fell off about a third of the way up.
"Goodness me indeed", I said, "that's dashed unfortunate". :dry:
With nowhere on the hill to prop the bike while I put the chain back on there was no option but to push it to the top of the hill. That said, I'm not sure me walking with the bike was considerably slower than me riding it up there...;)
Propped the bike against the stone thingy at the top of the hill and sorted the chain, then took the opportunity for a drink and a few photos of the general gloriousness of the day:
IMG_20170204_131722342_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170204_131738898_BURST002.jpg
IMG_20170204_131753256_HDR.jpg

A quick :thumbsup: to the three cyclists who passed as I was either pushing it to the top of the hill, or fettling the bike, who all asked if I needed any help. What a good bunch we all are.:smile:

From there it was the obligatory enjoyable run along Milner lane, passing a friendly group of about 15 cyclists heading the other way, and then a slight left onto Holme Farm Lane for the run down to East Rigton, then Rigton Green and up onto Bramham Lane. Unsurprisingly it was a bit muddy (I really should have expected this), but it's a nice ride so I could live with it. That said, the 90 degree corner about two thirds of the way along was a bit interesting... :eek:
From the end of there, it's a short and sharpish climb back onto Holme Farm lane and then Milner Lane completing the circle.
Back along the ridge , retracing my route, down the hill and then the mini climb back into Thorner.
Doing OK for time I decided to add an extra few miles on and took Carr Lane for the up and down (but mainly up) run out to the A58. A quick sprint along there and then onto Coal Road again, before local roads to home with a final loop added to push the mileage on.

15.1 miles in a reasonable 1h 6m at an average of 13.6mph, with just 728ft climbed.

Good to get out there after a week of indoor cycling, even if it was only for just over an hour. Even better to see loads of other cyclists out and about making the most of a great day for it. Bike needs a wash though.

04022017.JPG

13 rider

Guru
Today's target was to get February Imperial century ride in . Out the door at 0745 followed a similar route to Januarys but last time I had to add miles at the end so today I extended my route before the Wreake valley .Anstey ,Newtown Linford ,Groby back to Anstey ,Cropston ,Rothley ,Swithland ,Quorn ,Mountsorrel ,Cossington 6 miles from home with 16 miles in the bag . Headed up the Wreake Valley ,Ratcliffe on the Wreake ,Thrussington ,Hoby ,Asfordby and onto the first proper climb of Saxileby hill On to Wartnaby and then the lovely descent into the vale of Belvoir and Long Clawson and onto the flatter lands . Hickling Pastures ,Kinoulton turned to Colston Basset on some new roads . Past the famous Stilton cheese factory and back to Cropwell Bishop ,Tithby ,Grandy where I took a wrong turn and ended up on the A52 for half a mile ,Aslockton ,Scarrington ,Car Colston ,Screveton and turned onto more new roads to Flintham where I found a nice bench at 3 and half hours for a quick rest
IMG_20170204_113116145.jpg

War memorial for the crews of 2 RAF planes that collided above the village in 1943
IMG_20170204_112947688.jpg

This was just behind the memorial made out of astro turf . No idea what it's about or sign of anything.
So slightly rested and on through Flintham ,Thornton ,Orston ,Elton ,Redmile ,Barkstone ,Plunger and the welcome sight of the cafe at Dove Cottage 75 miles in the bag and 25 from home so on target . Fueled by beans on toast and coffee it back on the bike . Now just need to climb out of the vale avoided my normal route via Stathern hill as its awful so went to Hose back to Long Clawson ,Nether Broughton and onto Old Dalby and took that climb a short but steep one which had me in bottom gear hard work . Mainly downhill now ,Seagrave ,Sileby ,Cossington ,Rothley ,Cropston quick extra loop to make sure of the distance and home . 101.7 miles in the bag target met lovely ride which I paced much better than Jan's started slower but ended up 10 minutes quicker and still felt strong despite a headwind for most of the way home

Last edited:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
We have my mum staying this weekend. My nephew and his family came for lunch, my brother and his wife will be here at 6pm.....
So I spotted a very small opportunity and went for it!
My Trek 1.5 came out to play. I've not ridden it in ages. It's lovely, but the saddle is really slidey! I was having to grip with my bum cheeks around bends.

Beautiful, bright sun, but not much bird life today. Just a kestrel on a wire.
Almost 12 miles. A few other lone souls out.

IMG_1886.JPG

https://www.strava.com/activities/854968171

Old jon

Guru
That road from Slaid Hill to East Keswick is always fun, especially if you manage to get your timing between cars just right - and that is certainly a hill out of East Keswick. Have you tried turning right just before the village on Keswick Lane to the A58 and then tackling Rigton Bank (usually from a dead stop at the traffic lights)? That will definitely have you out of the saddle :laugh: - I thought I was going to pop a lung out the first time I tried it. ;)

Yup, that is one way to check your lung capacity, the 'eck of a climb, politely. Just had the legs for it the one time I have done it. The next time may have to wait a while . . .

Top Bottom