Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Not far, as I received a new bike on Thursday, so was trying it out

So, there was a lot of stops with allen-keys
One was a bit scary, I can't have tightened the bars enough, (as they were out in the packing box, & zip-tied to frame), as they twisted, as I stood out of the saddle:eek:
(they twisted forwards, so I was left hanging over the bars.)

It felt really odd, having such fat tyres ('28'), as I have '23' on my other 2 Ribbles, & the Ridley

Maybe a few more miles tomorrow, as I might ride down (up?/over?) to watch the Wakefield Triathlon Club hill-climb, on Royd Lane, at Millhouse Green (between Penistone & 'The Flouch', on the A628)

Last edited:
Not far, as I received a new bike on Thursday, so was trying it out

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/new-bike-arrived.215425/

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
It's Sunday, so my Saturday evening half-hearted plans to get up early for a long ride remained ... half-hearted. However, I ended up having one of those unexpectedly great rides we all occasionally get. It was only 20 miles around the villages north-east of Ipswich (Tuddenham, Culpho, Grundisburgh, Burgh, Hasketon, Woodbridge, Bealings and home), but the layers are starting to come off and the roads were dry. :okay:

On the way back from Woodbridge, I spotted the high-vis of another cyclist up ahead and strove to catch them up. It was a bit of effort to do so and then it turned out to be someone who I'd chatted about a year ago when we'd both stopped to watch a barn owl. Apparently, it is the cyclist's birthday next week: 77 years old. (And he rides about 300 miles a week.) Jeez, I hope I'm half as fit at that age.

More additions to the Cycle Chat Why Not Visit Britain? photo portfolio.

An unusual church tower at Hasketon.

2.JPG

And one of Buttrum's Mill, Woodbridge. (Back in The Eighties I knew the owners and had a good look inside.)

1.jpg

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Perfect weather for a bike ride in Gloucestershire today. Mild and occasionally sunny with a very light breeze. There was a good turnout of 11 of us on the Chilled Group ride, which was a 27 miler out to Westbury on Severn then a relentless grind up past Flaxley Abbey to Mitcheldean and then back via Longhope and Huntley. Lisa turned up with home-made flapjacks, which went down well. I don't know what she puts in them, but mine got me up the horrible hill just beyond Longhope where a couple of the others dismounted.

Some challenging climbs today, and a couple of nice long descents. The fastest speed I registered (or to be accurate, the fastest I was going while daring to look at the speedo) was 35.4mph. I reckoned I needed a few extra miles in my legs, with another audax coming up next week, so I threw in a lap of the Kingsway estate at the beginning, and an extra loop to Longney and back at the end of the ride, bringing up 45.8 miles for the day. Time for a relaxing bath now. Cheers, Donger.

Gareth C

Veteran
Another weekend, another lollipop ride. This time taking the fat bike around the old lead mines of Swaledale. The weather forecast said heavy rain from early afternoon, so it was a quick trip up to Great Pinseat and then onto the Old Gang Mines and Smelting Mill before heading back to the car ahead of the rain.

slide1.jpg

dscf2057.jpg

Climbing out of Arkengarthdale
dscf2061.jpg

On Great Pinseat in the mist
img_0953.jpg

I lost the “who has the biggest wheels” competition
dscf2067.jpg

View over the Old Gang Smelting Mill
dscf2068.jpg

View back up Old Gang Beck
https://www.relive.cc/view/896166665

@13 rider, don't think that's the hardest of the 7! The one into Eastwell is pretty tough due to the bends in the road. Might try and do all 7 one weekend!

Only 20 miles for me today due to tiredness, indecision and the intermittent rain. Still, a shorter ride allows for a higher effort level in places. Always love the feeling of a bike just back from the shop....just like new!

Mrs M

Guru
IMG_0029.JPG
IMG_0030.JPG
IMG_0033.JPG
IMG_0031.JPG
IMG_0035.JPG
Strange day today, chilly, warm, foggy, sunny :eek:
Took the roadie out for a wee spin, sunny when we set off so I wore my new "Steptoe gloves" :smile:
A couple of hundred yards ridden and it was pea soup, never mind, lights on and away again.
Went a nice hilly route and legs felt surprisingly good considering I've been slacking off a bit lately :blush:
Had a wee rest at the railway bridge, eerie atmosphere :ohmy: sheep looked like she was saying "ewe are in danger" so I legged it, zoomed up the hill, faster than I ever have :laugh:
Going along the coast road up the "mountain" :whistle: a helicopter appeared overhead, felt like I was in the TDF, lol :bicycle:Passed a friendly roadie coming opposite direction :hello:
Still loads of building and roadworks, had to negotiate a really rubbish "path" on the way home, never mind, tyres are good.
No idea how far I went or exactly how long I was out for but don't care as it was fun! :okay:

13 rider

Guru
@13 rider, don't think that's the hardest of the 7! The one into Eastwell is pretty tough due to the bends in the road. Might try and do all 7 one weekend!

Only 20 miles for me today due to tiredness, indecision and the intermittent rain. Still, a shorter ride allows for a higher effort level in places. Always love the feeling of a bike just back from the shop....just like new!
I'm away that weekend :okay: @Supersuperleeds would be up for it he was saying he'd fancy a go at the hill I climbed Saturday :laugh:. If you mean the hill from Stathern to Eastwell I agree it's tough but not as steep just longer

13 rider

Guru
After a morning labouring for a mate who's plastering my mum's new downstairs loo .I kept popping out into the sunshine wishing to get out and ride . Finally out the door at 14.00 had no really target but while starting strava I noticed @Lilliburlero had done a 50km ride after a 100km yesterday ,I'd got the first part in so 50km became the target .Decidedly head to Market Bosworth the hilly way . Newtown Linford ,Ulverscoft up Pollybotts lane round the back of Markfield to Thorton and into Bagworth .Where I passed four riders struggling up a hill past words of encouragement as I passed .On to Odestone and turned to Market Bosworth . Through Cadeby ,Kirby Mallery ,Desford ,Kirby Muxloe ,Ratby ,Groby and home 31.8 miles in the bag . Missed the best of the sunshine but still very pleasant out nice not to be layered up

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Now this is a rare event, two rides in two days...:laugh:

The forecast for today was grey and overcast, but we'll come back to that later. I'd been on the edge of being too warm yesterday and it felt quite mild when I popped my head out of the door first thing, so today saw the first outing for the 3/4's this year - apologies if you were dazzled by the glare from my whiter than white legs...

Up Coal Road, Red Hall Lane, the A58, Whin Moor Lane and into Shadwell for the descent through the village before climbing back up to cross the A58 again and then Carr Lane into Thorner, which seemed oddly busy despite it not quite being 9am.
Milner Lane, where the overnight rain had at least washed some of the hedge trimmings to the sides of the road and onto the ridge - only to find the farmer had been in and out of the first couple of fields and left a splattering of mud behind.:dry:
Given this I decided to miss out East Rigton and Compton Lane / Bramham Lane (which were bound to be mudfests) and turned right onto Thorner Lane heading towards Bramham. Just before the A1(M) bridge I took a left onto West Woods Road and headed north to Wattlesyke Roundabout and then down the hill to Wetherby, maxing out at 34.6mph, matching my fastest speed so far this year... ;)
A quick loop around Wetherby town centre and down to the riverside for an energy bar and a photo:
IMG_20170312_093101113_BURST000_COVER.jpg

Back on and up the step climb out of the car park, heading for Walton Road and finding a fellow cyclist who was struggling with a puncture.
Stopped and offered what assistance I could, before heading over the A1(M) and on, eventually to Thorp Arch, looping round via Church Causeway and dropping down to the single track bridge over the river.
Despite me being established on the bridge, that didn't stop a teapot in a Volvo heading the opposite way drive straight across, clearly thinking I'd just magically get out of his way. Fortunately there was just enough room for me to move over, as he certainly wasn't stopping...:cursing:
Up the climb at the other side and down Boston Spa Main Street, all the way out to Barr Lane, where I looped back down to Clifford and the long climb up through the village. Which is rewarded with the long(ish) downhill towards Bramham - just over the brow of the hill the opposite lane was full of parked cars. The bus driver heading up the hill (Harrogate & District, some of the best bus drivers in the industry) stopped as I had right of way, but this clearly vexed the Golf driver behind him who swerved out, overtook the bus and then pushed through the gap despite me being there...:cursing:
The bus driver rightly shook his head at such antics. There must be something in the water out that way.

Through Bramham and up the hill, where I stopped to take my jacket off as the sun had come out and I was getting a bit warm.
IMG_20170312_102400894_HDR.jpg

From there it was straight down Paradise Way to Bramham Crossroads and then on down the hill to Aberford.
As I plunged into Aberford, I realised that if I headed straight home via Barwick I was going to come up short of a metric half, so I headed up the hill to Lotherton Gates, then turned right and back under the A1(M) again. I don't really like this road (too narrow / too fast), so turned back into Aberford from the opposite direction completing the loop and then turned onto Cattle Lane for the familiar route home via Barwick and Scholes.

35.02 miles (56.35km) in 2h 38m moving time at an average of 13.2mph, with 1,841ft climbed and a maximum temperature of 13.0°C although it felt a lot warmer in the sun. The only downside to the warm temperatures is that the first flies have already started appearing.:dry:

On getting home, the bike was filthy (again) so it was out with the bucket and sponge for a full clean and lube
IMG_20170312_122438254.jpg

And finally, a map:
12032017.JPG

Top Bottom