Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lilliburlero

Pro sandbagger
After a morning labouring for a mate who's plastering my mum's new downstairs loo .I kept popping out into the sunshine wishing to get out and ride . Finally out the door at 14.00 had no really target but while starting strava I noticed @Lilliburlero had done a 50km ride after a 100km yesterday ,I'd got the first part in so 50km became the target .Decidedly head to Market Bosworth the hilly way . Newtown Linford ,Ulverscoft up Pollybotts lane round the back of Markfield to Thorton and into Bagworth .Where I passed four riders struggling up a hill past words of encouragement as I passed .On to Odestone and turned to Market Bosworth . Through Cadeby ,Kirby Mallery ,Desford ,Kirby Muxloe ,Ratby ,Groby and home 31.8 miles in the bag . Missed the best of the sunshine but still very pleasant out nice not to be layered up

Thanks for bigging me up @13 rider :okay:

You could have bigged me up a bit more if you had mentioned that my Saturday 100 km ride was the day after my Friday 100 km ride :whistle:

^_^

13 rider

Guru
Yeah, that's the one! It always causes me more problems than the others! Need to plot a loopy route to take them all in!
It's funny how some hills suit different people that's my preferred exit off the vale . All 7 climbs in one ride is bonkers :surrender:

Thanks for bigging me up @13 rider :okay:

You could have bigged me up a bit more if you had mentioned that my Saturday 100 km ride was the day after my Friday 100 km ride :whistle:

^_^
Sorry didn't realise you did 100km on Friday aswell :notworthy:.

I went for a ride in the rain with the Tannus tyred bike today.

IMG_3981.JPG

There were choppers

IMG_3982.JPG

There were Daffodils.

IMG_3983.JPG

A very springlike park.

IMG_3984.JPG

And a pint.

A nice ride all in all.:bicycle::thumbsup:

https://www.relive.cc/view/897408226

Dave 123

Legendary Member
An odd ride on my mountain bike this afternoon. I set off from Hardwick toward Madingley cemetery where I took the footpath down the western edge, its a great, sloping smooth track and I got up a fair lick of speed. Luckily there were no peds coming the other way!
At the bottom I joined a bridleway to Girton. Over the fields I went, overtaking a young girl out running. I came to a fork with no signage.... I went left and up over a bridge. On the other side I'd entered hell. The A14 is being extended/widened and I'd got in to the construction site!
IMG_2061.JPG

The bastards are ripping out oak trees like it doesn't matter!
I thought I'd spotted a way out through an underpass...
IMG_2063.JPG

But it actually spat me out on to the A14! No thank you!!!

I doubled back and took the other route, and although I was still in sight of the A14, if I blocked out the traffic noise...
IMG_2064.JPG

Eventually I surfaced in Girton, coming through the university farm. It was here I saw a hare, loping away from me.

A short spell on Huntingdon Road and then down through the observatories and on the the West Cambridge site
IMG_2067.JPG

IMG_2069.JPG

IMG_2071.JPG

The last picture is the Uni sports centre which is where I do my spin, circuits and yoga.
To the right of this building is a lake. There was a little grebe on here today and some other characters....
IMG_2077.JPG

Over the M11 and in to Coton. I then went back through Madingley, at the top of the hill is Park Farm, another Uni property. Spring lambs were in the field.

I was close to home, but decided to go to Comberton. On Long Road it all went gloomy, then a bit of a shower came in
IMG_2079.JPG

I turned down Green End the scene of my fight with the dragonfly. At the end is the village duck pond
IMG_2081.JPG

A few miles home via Toft. So in 17 miles I'd had construction, destruction, nature and weather.

https://www.strava.com/activities/897760169

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
Couldn't get out this morning, despite it being a lovely sunny morning, as me and Mrs R were going out for a stroll and then to visit my sister. We got home around 1.30 pm and it was raining so decided to watch the football and wait for it to get drier. By about 4 o'clock it had stopped raining so I got changed and took Hybrida for a quick ride up Southport Coast Road and across the moss from Churchtown, into Southport town centre and then weaved my way home.

As I cycled along the sea wall I passed a couple of motorcyclists who had parked their bikes across the cycle path, but they had left enough room to get past. I saw that it was a bloke and a female who looked to be involved in some intense conversation, looked like a Dear John moment :-( :sad:. Then, a bit further along, I passed a group of 4 or 5 kids aged about 14 to 15, sat on the wall between the cycle path and the footpath, and one of them shouted to me, "Deliveroo, where's my food?" which I found quite witty and amusing, having said that, Deliveroo have green kit and I was wearing my bright yellow cycling jacket, so perhaps the cheeky little so and so needs his eyes testing :laugh:.

The afternoon weather had brightened up quite nicely and the sun was actually dazzling due to being quite low in a couple of places. When I got to the north end of the Coast Road, I cut across a gravel path that runs through to Banks Road and provides a quieter and more scenic route and took a couple of photos, the first of the River Crossens that runs into the Ribble estuary and the second looking across from the same spot towards the Fylde and showing Blackpool Tower in the distance.

River Crossens.jpg

Blackpool tower.jpg

I had to stop and eat a couple of oat and chocolate biscuits there as well, I began to feel quite weak and tired, probably due to a combination of a heavy day on the beer at the match yesterday, and not having eaten for a few hours before going out, the biscuits did the trick though and when I resumed I was soon okay.

16 and a half miles in an hour and ten minutes, an average of 14.3 mph, a short ride as not much time but glad I got out instead of sitting on the couch and reading the paper or watching the telly.

Mike_P

Guru
3/4s on again, but with socks making up the other 1/4! Headed eastwards, fastest time ever along NCN636 to Knaresborough - possibly due to now having a proper smooth tarmac surface rather than the pot hole and loose chipping with the odd bit of tarmac that use to exist on a long section of it.
ncn636.jpg

Was not that certain where I was going to go so on a spur headed off nearly to the A1(M) to have a closer look at the latest blot on the landscape, the North Yorkshire County and City of York Councils idiotic "waste recovery plant" that is nearing completion. The A1(M) is behind the hedgerow.
Allerton.jpg

Heading back westwards the sun disappeared as it clouded over and then I stumbled across a....tractor rally!
tractor1.jpg

tractor2.jpg

tractor3.jpg

tractor4.jpg

And for something less hectic heres a couple of shots of the River Nidd from NCN67 near Ripley which will soon be hidden by the foliage
Ripley Nidd 1.jpg

Ripley Nidd 2.jpg

Last edited:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Well my ride was a pathetic 14 miles,windy and cool.Looking at all these fantastic photos is going to motivate me.But at least i got out,but i seem to have a stupid dry cough.Anyway 14 miles is better than sitting on the sofa stuffing chocolate bars down ones neck,like i have done all weekend.

It's 14 miles that you won't have to do again!

Out through Grunty Fen and I turned off to head back via Haddenham for a Witcham/Coveney/Pymoor loop; then I headed up Black Bank to Littleport to then go through and head home along the river via Branch Bank.

However after a photo opportunity and a gel on the bridge it appeared that the road was closed so it was back through Littleport and home this time on the old main road via Chettisham.

Branch Bank is passable by bike, roadworks notwithstanding - well it was when I went down that way last week, blithely ignoring the "Road Closed" signs. :whistle: As did several cars. In both directions... The roadworks, when I got there, consisted of about 20 meters of muddy road with some new concrete blocks laid down in the verge. :wacko:

Old jon

Guru
Is anyone else fooled by the weather? There it was this morning, sunny, light breeze, blue sky. Mug that is me wandered out to the shed, extracted bike and thought, its warm, one layer less. Back indoors, final cup of coffee and email a friend about the route I am thinking of riding. Mistake number two.

Pedal away I did, and found the breeze a little brisker than I had thought. Having told someone already about where I was going, most of the thinking had been done. Holbeck, towpath, Cardigan Road and through Headingley to Lawnswood. A long slog up the hill, time to think and realise that I was committed to a long ish ride, for me. As near as makes little, 34.9 miles and 1500 feet of vertical. So, bravely, turn right onto Church Lane, a left and along past Adel church, across Adel dam and keep straight on a couple of junctions to head for Eccup followed quickly enough by that rather good drop down to and through Weardley. Just where the road flattens out a bit, an interesting left hand bend with a washboard surface combined with a Red Kite showing off about forty feet overhead, and me looking that way of course, provided an interesting few seconds of vibratory understeer and a sigh of relief when the road straightened out. I may have thanked something beginning with F.

Turn right on the A 659 and then left to cross Harewood Bridge, pedal along the gently rising road to the Kirkby Overblow road and turn right along that. Just after crossing the bridge, I saw a cyclist a fair way in front of me, a blue top layer. We meet later. As said, Kirkby Overblow, there is a bit of uphill involved through there, on to Sicklinghall with added up and then the descent through the village.

From about 2:18 in the video you may just see the cyclist in the blue top. The next rise, and I caught up, she slowed on hills more than I do. Anyway, we rode together, bit of chat, to Wetherby where our ways diverged. I chose the easy option, A 58 all the way until town centre and home, reaching my front door just as the sun came out again. Still a good ride.

No change, a map

13032107.jpg

The Bystander

Über Member
Nowhere that I wanted to go, just wanted the mileage (or kilometerage for the half century challenge) so I rode a series of loops, misshapen eights and a triangle to spend 55.5km going not very far.

Would have been slightly more fun if the wind had behaved according to the forecast but sufficient fun was had.

This is where it was had.

D

Deleted member 1258

Earlswood the destination, 58 miles the journey, no adventure for me today just an enjoyable ride on familiar road to a favourite cafe, The Earlswood Plant Centre and their Wedges cafe. Like last week my Sunday ride was rained off, it didn't stop raining by me until mid morning, so I did the same as last week and put the ride back to Monday. I got up this morning to bright sunshine, fresh with enough of a wind to make me work and slow me down a little, by the time I left the cafe to ride home it had clouded over warmed up a lot and I was over dressed, I saw a number of cyclist in shorts and short sleeved tops whilst I was in full winter kit, though my wooly hat had been stowed in the saddle bag, if it stays as warm I think I will swap the heavy winter tights for summer ones and ditch the sweat shirt for a summer top.

Spring ride.jpg

Top Bottom