Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Despite the milder forecasts, still a bit chilly so back to bibtights today.

Went over to Chertsey to look at a possible n+2
(I know n+1 not even here yet and looking for another!!!!)
Then mos my favoured route to Bushy, through the park and back via Hampton Hill
24.1 mi @ 16.7 mph, not bad considering was held up a couple of times
No climbing to speak of
https://www.strava.com/activities/899690689

If interested in the search for n+2 see this thread
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/need-n-2.215358/post-4721121

LincsBlue

Did Rutland Water again and took in the peninsula this time so a decent 22.6 mile ride in a smidge over 2 hours. A few sneaky hills here and there and the gates are a pain but a nice ride in preparation for Sundays 40k Bridleway Basher.

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Wanted to test out the combination of cycling shorts under jeans in preparation for another stage of this year's Tour De La Cochon (a cycling pub-crawl around Suffolk armed with at least one pork pie) and went out for a 12 mile pootle out to Lexington. It just so happened that I passed the same spot as @Jenkins did yesterday, so I offer the same view, different day. :smile:

1.JPG

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Rode into Didcot along the NCR 544 again on the Kingpin seeing as it was dry, on the way back I had an altercation with some stupid daffodil and her dog, that managed to piss me off and nearly spoil my ride. It doesn't often happen but the stupid twunt boiled my piss today. Never mind, the bike still makes me smile. I realise now that I can not get a pizza in the rear bag.

IMG_2977.JPG

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Was invited out for ride by @Dark46 today. Got togged out in my lycra and he phoned up to cancel at the last minute. (Quite an amusing reason given, but not for me to comment in this forum on that). Ambled out to Arlingham and back in the sunshine. Daffodils, blossom and pheasants everywhere. The Severn was sparkling silver today, the hills of the Forest of Dean and the Malvern Hills were lit up beautifully, and all was well with the world. Wish I'd taken the camera. Another 24.5 miles done, putting me just shy of 600 miles from my 15 rides so far this year.
Cheers, Donger.

martint235

Dog on a bike
IMG_0020.JPG
March century done. Out to Whitstable with Ian. Tailwind meant I hit Dartford meeting point with a 19mph average. We took a different route into Sittingbourne today and the usual route we take out turns out to be the pretty route in :wacko:

Headwind all the way home made it tough going but still maintained 16.5 mph. Weather not as warm as forecast but the seaside is the seaside

Road closures all over the shop here today; I'd planned on heading out to Coveney and Ely this afternoon, but a friend who lives in Mepal messaged me on FB at lunchtime that the road between Downham and Coveney was closed - as she found out while en route to Isle Vets. I could have chanced Branch Bank, but took the safe if slightly less interesting option instead.

Was lovely and sunny when I set off at quarter to five, though there was a pretty brisk breeze that had a cold bite to it. Went out via Black Bank to Littleport and picked up the A1101 Wisbech Road heading out towards Welney. Then turned left at the bottom of Gold Hill to pick up NCN 11 and ride along the 100 Foot Bank, past the pump house and the railway sidings and to Pymoor. That part of the ride was into a pretty brisk headwind and was pretty hard work. :heat: I could have headed home along O Furlong, but as I still had plenty of daylight, carried on along the B1411 past Adventurer's Drove and Corkers Crisps, up Mill Hill, through Downham, then down the hill the other side, through California and the short fizz home. 17 miles all in.

Loads of daffodils in bloom now in gardens and just growing randomly in the verges and river levees, and by the Old Church House on the 1101 there was a massive drift of yellow primroses. :smile: Loads of cherry, cherry plum, forsythia and blackthorn in full bloom right now, along with lots of pussy willow and hazel catkins. There were several people out mowing their lawns, taking advantage of the sunshine. :sun:

Saw a barn owl hunting near Black Bank, loads of pheasants everywhere and heard a yellowhammer singing "little bit of bread and no cheese". The rookeries in the trees right alongside the A1101 are in full occupancy now - that much is obvious by the ridiculous quantity of bird s**t all over the road... xx( Spotted a cormorant near the Hundred Foot - haven't seen one of those in a while - as well as a flock of guinea fowl and three peacocks. One of those was a white one a la Malfoy Manor. Was treated to a spectacular sunset as well (I do love the big fen skies) and saw my first bats of the year as I wheeled my bike to my front door.

A good ride and lots to see - wouldn't notice nearly as much if I was in a car. Hoping to get out again later in the week, but I'm really going to need that hot bath tonight...

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
Just back from what may well turn out to be the last night ride this winter. As it was I had to wait until well gone seven o clock before it was dark enough for me. I really don't like riding in twilight/half light.

I nearly turned back. I just couldn't get the legs turning and felt very slow. It was only a fine view of Orion's Belt in the dark skies of the countryside that made me continue.

Glad I did as it turned out to be a night for the wildlife. I managed to spot:

Three barn owls, one I got a really good view of as he checked me out.
Two rats.
One fairly young looking bunny.
Two badgers.
A mouse.

I must have got faster as I went as my time for the 24 miles wasn't too bad.

I might make it my second to last night ride this winter!

Katherine

Guru
I had the best evening ride this year. It was the longest - 40 miles and the fastest too 2 hours 45 minutes - 14.5mph average. I set off down the East Lancs road into the bright sun and a strong headwind and was very pleasantly surprised to make it to Haydock ( 11.5 miles) in exactly an hour. I then added lots of loops and made the main loop even bigger, past Kenyon, Croft, Risley, Culcheth and Glazebrook. I managed to avoid the worst of the rushour by being on the cycle path or quiet roads for most of the time.

What a cracking day, it would be a shame to miss out on such a rarity.

So I nipped out on a quick 30 miler this morning. There was minimal traffic, and my route took me from Stanground through town towards Longthorpe, past Marholm and Ufford to Barnack, and from there I rode to Helpston, turned left and headed up to Maxey then across to Northborough then headed south past Nine Bridges and Glinton and carried on towards town and then home.

Not bad considering that yesterday I had a night of beer and curry in celebration of a new job

https://www.relive.cc/view/900909343

Old jon

Guru
Stray thoughts this morning, I had wandered around Lotherton Hall and grounds yesterday with a friend, so it seemed a good idea to go for a ride out that way. Sun shining, gentle breeze, fooling myself.

A day for the fixed, and the usual twenty yard adjustment, keep the legs turning! A journey through Hunslet, passing the Parish church and turning right to ride through Stourton. Slightly more traffic than usual, but not exactly busy, up the hill, John o’ Gaunts, Woodlesford, Swillington. How easy to type those words, and how steep those hills felt, even with a tailwind. Some distance before the Garforth roundabout the grey cell had decided on going up the cliff, so right at that point. Still quite a grind up there, but eventually the road levels out and pedalling is easier. If I keep saying that, I may begin to believe it. Peckfield Bar, straight on towards the next roundabout and turn right, down the hill and left for Sherburn and those nice twiddly bends. Even on the fixed they are fun. All the way to the lights, turn left and the next village is Barkston Ash, most of which the road misses, and turn left for Saxton. You are never far from the site of a battle around here, Saxton’s was the day before Towton.

Its quite a hill out of Saxton, although it does not really look it, and it takes you to the top of the hill by Cold Hill Farm. Turn right, it is not a great distance to the gates of Lotherton Hall. Turn right again, Aberford and the lumpy bit to Barwick. My friend yesterday commented about how flat the northern side of the road was, and the valleys separated by hills to the south. A fresh pair of eyes often work better. Scholes, a short stretch of A 64, three lanes to the A 58 and I am just about home. 34.1 miles, no records broken, just a load of fun.
And a fun time map,

15032017.jpg

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Commute home this morning paused after 2 miles, sodding legs playing up so magic pill taken to get through the pain:sad:. On the plus side by the time I got home it had done the usual and become no more that a sore muscle, top notch these pills:smile:.
Wiggle had sent out my lads replacement bike earlier in the week (one size smaller, and no charge, so thumbs up to them), and he disappeared off around the estate after school, so the \Brompton came out as I went hunting for him. I get the feeling a trip to Swinley will be in the offing before long, bets get my MTB legs on^_^

Top Bottom