Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cubey

Über Member
First time out for the old whitewashed legs today, shocked a few motorists me thinks. ^_^
aa.jpg
Went via the steep hill from Batley uptowards the A653 towards Dewsbury, max heart rate at 160bpm speed kept up to around 15km and hour though, slightly breathless at the top.

polar-flow.jpg

I do like the new display interface for the PolarFlow app, now separates out the speed and heart rate ect.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
More commuting miles on a fabulous spring day. I decided to take a scenic route to work and headed into town and along the riverside through The Quarry. This was very nice but a lot more stop-start than I'm used to due to the shared use paths.

Traffic was stationary when I crossed the A5 and also along Roman Road which I felt slightly smug about, then somebody nice stopped to let me across Longden Road when they didn't need to.^_^

Having enjoyed the ride along the riverside, smugness disappeared along the old canal path to Uffington which is unbelieveably rough now that it's dried out a bit.:blink: Can you hear me Shropshire Council?

There were nice views to the hills from Downton and I met more polite people on the descent to Upton Magna, while just over the River Tern there was a group from the National Trust laying hedges and doing general maintenance.

It was a quiet day at work during which I found time to replace my front brake blocks and look wistfully from a chilly warehouse at the sunshine and warmth just outside. I declare Spring has officially started as the ice cream van has been round the estate :okay: and despite indoors being cold enough to still need to wrap up in four layers, I went out, bought one and stood in the sunshine outside the back door to enjoy it.;)

I thought about the short route for the journey home but decided to take my usual way and just go a little slower and enjoy it. It took me a while to warm up after being in the cold all day so I probably looked odd being the only rider out in a fleece and buffs.

22.8 miles for the day at 13.4 mph average. I should have grabbed some snapshots as the weather was so nice but neglected to today.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
As I rode over to meet Margaret P-R I chatted with a young rider who was getting a quick ride in before work and home life took over. Margaret appeared coming the other way as expected so my new friend headed off. We took to the standard Castlemorton lanes heading south by Blackwell's End and on down to Tibberton. There was a bit of a southerly hindering but the early mists had gone as blues skies and sunshine dominated. My Brain Nav was a bit hestitant at a couple of junctions as we continued south for Birdwood. The a bit more hesitancy before we reached Northwood Green. It was warming up and M was thinking of taking a layer off. After we rode the ramp up from Flaxley that's what she did.

So with Mitcheldean having witnessed disrobing we took to the tough climb out of town. We turned off to limit the climb for Wigpool. Not that we'd finished going up but it wasn't so tough. We paused to take in the view over Hope Mansell before a final steep one onto Howle Hill. We dropped to Coughton and rode briskly into Ross-on-Wye for a light lunch.

To keep things under control I lead M on the short route back. Phocle Green, Upton Bishop and Fishpool saw the final few hills sorted. I'd by now taken a layer off too as well as hat and gloves. Above Fishpool we paused to admire the views out over the Leadon valley to the ridge of the Malverns. We entered Wild Daffodil territory. There were super displays along the road side and in the woods. We stopped at the spectacular field at Kempley and then again at the nature reserve beyond Dymock. Not long now and we returned by Castlemorton to part on Hook Bank.

What a lovely warm day it turned out to be. We'd ridden a good way into lanes we don't often reach. Lovely riding in good company. 73 smiles

Couldn't resist the lure of today's beautiful afternoon sunshine, and, as I had a bit of spare time on my hands, popped out for a spin.

Nothing special, just what is now my usual loop of Downham, Way Head, Coveney, Ely, Downham and home - 14 miles and an hour and 15 minutes. Did me good to get out and really enjoyed the sunshine, the views and the spring flowers. Also good not to have so many layers on. Didn't enjoy inhaling my first fly of the year. xx(

Unfortunately the sunshine also brought out the numpties. :cursing: Really need that kalashnikov :gun: I did not appreciate being shoved onto the verge by a cockwomble in a white Range Rover Sport who thinks it's acceptable to do 60 mph plus on a single track road and force other road users to take avoiding action. Nor did I appreciate a run in with a beet lorry who ignored the availability of a passing place and left me with two feet clearance between him and a six foot ditch. :angry:

Not much to report on the wildlife front. The swans are mostly gone now, just a few pairs of resident mutes to be seen here and there. Plenty of pheasants out and about. The rookeries down by the Isle Vets are also depositing loads of guano all over the road. And I saw what I think was a tawny owl.

Saw six cyclists. Three blokes on roadies and three folks on hybrids. The peeps riding the hybrids were friendly and said hello. :hello: As did the copper sitting in his patrol car supping a coffee. :cuppa:

robjh

Legendary Member
I woke up about 6.20 this morning, just in time to watch the sun come up into a clear pale sky. I decided then to get up and out quickly and enjoy this glorious time of the morning on my bike.
It was only a quick 14 mile ride, but I stopped a few times to admire the views and I was out for a bit over an hour. There was a light mistiness over the fields as I started out that was burning off by the time I returned. From Duxford I headed south first to Ickleton and up Coploe Hill, right to Elmdon and Chrishall, then back down the slope and into Duxford by Grange Road. Short, but a nice time to be out.
Coploe Hill
20170316 (1)A Coploe Hill.JPG
20170316 (2)A Coploe Hill.JPG

Duxford airfield and M11
20170316 (4)A Duxford Airfield.JPG

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Took half-pint to school on the bikes and I rode my old Raleigh to mark last nights rather entertaining documentary on BBC4. As it happens, Lady Skol was working from home today so I twisted her arm and told her the young'un would be over the moon if she came on her bike to collect him at home time....... and she did!

It was about the slowest trip I have had since, well, since ever. But bless her she kept going and did the 5 miles with a smile on her face and didn't moan too much about the traffic where we do ride on the roads a bit (but I could see it fazed her even though she is an experienced driver and hardened commuter).

Nipper was chuffed and loved cycling with his mum :okay:

I have told her he will expect this more often now....... :bicycle:

gavgav

Guru
A short evening ride for me, after work.

Headed up the cycle paths to Heathgates and when I turned to head towards the river I came across a plethora of broken bottles all over the path. Looked very neatly arranged and almost certainly deliberately put there. Managed to get round on the grass and avoid a puncture.

Continued along by the river, to the weir and then along the Towpath into the Quarry. Crossed Porthill bridge, where it began to rain lightly and then up to Oxon, through the grounds of the hospitals, then Radbrook, Nobold, Meole Brace and home. Just about got the bike into the shed before it started to pour down, good timing!!

13.0 miles

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
There was a bit of a mix up so I set out on my own. Pete M should now be down at Rye St. I had my work cut out as timings had gone awry. Fortunately June P was also running late. We found her at Camer's Green. So that took the pressure off as we rode the last few miles to Bromsberrow Heath where Ralph R was patiently waiting. Now Pete and June decided a cup of tea was necessary. Ah well relax boyo.

Underway Ralph lead us by fields of Wild Daffs. We stopped to admire the best ones. Shame. I'd forgotten my camera in the panic on my way out. Dymock, Kempley and Shaw Common all held stunning displays. The woods were carpeted in yellow everywhere. We rounded by the Three Choirs vineyard before heading for Newent and the cafe.

Whilst chattering and refuelling in the cafe an old work colleague came over. It was great to see Martin J again. He seemed fit and happy and was with a new "girl" friend. Good for him for sure. We set off to view Gwen and Vera's fields which are chock full of daffs. Then just up the road we took to a muddy path to view the daffs in the woods. Another wonderful show. Coming out of the wood I bumped into Henry (known as 'H') on a walking visit from the Forest. We had a lovely catch up whilst the others waited patiently. Underway again Ralph took us to St Mary's church. It's Norman and dates from 1130. Indeed it has some very interesting history https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kempley.

Now we took the run past more Daffs to Brooms Green and Bromsberrow Heath. Pete had left his car at the top of Castlemorton Common so we headed up Hollybush to wish him a happy homeward drive. June and Ralph were aiming for some shopping so Danemoor Cross saw my departure. Not long after I was tucking into some dinner at home having had a lovely bimble around the Golden Triangle. 52 smiles today

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
This is actually two rides, two days apart and over the same route. The first one, Tuesday was quite warm, the second today was cold.

Just a nice country shot to remind you of the weather on Tuesday.

1.jpg

And looking the other way, at the bridge I cross on my return journey.

2.jpg

I thought a comparison of the puddles might be interesting, this is Tuesday

3.jpg

And this was today, I was cursing the puddles and imagining they hadn't shrunk much. I was wrong.

4.jpg

The end of today's ride was spoilt a bit by a driver who hadn't figured out from my position on the road, that I was turning right. Sadly the camera didn't pick up much audio.

Which was a bit annoying, since I'd tried hard to help those behind me.

5.jpg

Tuesday: 11.9miles, max 21 avg 8.2 mph.

6.jpg

Thursday: 12miles, max 19 avg 7.6 mph.

Year to date, 35.3 miles, Target 500 miles

Last edited:

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
From yesterday ...

I decided last weekend to gamble on the weather being okay on Thursday to do a stage of La Tour De La Cochon. (And sneak in another half-century challenge) The planned route was a train ride from Ipswich to Halesworth, cycling over to The Swan at Hoxne, via Metfield, and back to Halesworth via The Royal Oak at Laxfield. I never did find the time to pause at The Oak ...

The day didn't start on the right note when, after whizzing past another cyclist going down Bishop's Hill, at the traffic lights he suggested that I buy a helmet. Given as how I'd just seen him pass on the right-hand side of a keep-left bollard, I wasn't in the mood to listen to ill-informed 'advice'. And, apparently, just the fact that I was disagreeing meant that I was 'getting on my high horse.' I'm 58 folks and I think that by now am reasonably aware of how much risk I'm prepared to take (and the silly situations I can get myself into because of it, as the following will prove).
Okay, semi-rant over, now the report ...

The weather was fantastic!
My first pause for a photo as at Linstead Parva.

1.JPG

The next was at the WW2 airfield at Metfield.

2.JPG

As I neared Hoxne, I was obliged to take a picture of a host of daffodils (and Patsy #2 The CX) at Syleham.

3.JPG

And finally, one of The Swan. I spent the afternoon here drinking with some locals.

4.JPG

I left at about 4 o'clock (did I mention how I can get myself into silly situations?) and managed to catch the train - with a minute spare - before cycling back up Bishop's Hill and having a quick curry at home before going out for just-one-to-be-sociable pint in town (with my usual Thursday night friends). A great day in the saddle and on a pub stool. 40 miles for the day!

Last edited:

Old jon

Guru
What a difference a breeze makes! OK, more than a breeze, and it did slow down the outward bit of today’s ride. It was one of those mornings where I left the house without anything clear in mind. Autopilot took me as far as Water Lane, then thought had to be applied. Where am I going? Oh well, look, here is the towpath. It is slightly humbling when inanimate objects make up your mind for you, don’t you find? Its time for the funny overcoat when you thank them.

Never one to refuse a little guidance, off I pedalled in the direction of Liverpool. Slightly before that place, I reached Viaduct Road and across the river I rode on that. Up, Cardigan Road, through Headingley, to Lawnswood and across the Ring Road. The wind was noticeable, three quarters on and it made pedalling a bit of a hardship really, two gears lower than I would normally be pushing. Anyway, no grumble, just get on with it. All along the A 660 ( Dylan had the better title ) to the Dyneley Arms and down Pool Bank for a bit of grin factor 8. Amazing how that cheered me up, and then the A 659 from Pool to Otley. Into the wind and feeling it. Three left turns later and I am climbing Leeds Road, still in the same gear as from Pool to Otley but now the wind is helping. Massively. A bit odd, really, I was riding along quite briskly, happily also, and my glasses misted up. From Stubbings Farm all the way to the last bend, all the views I have been known to rabbit on about, I could see sweet Fanny Adams. Oh dear. Keep on, Headingley was reached, nothing of note along the way now that the wind was in my favour, and turn right for Kirkstall.

Back onto the towpath and a gentle ride back to Office Lock, dodging the joggers and dog walkers who today were their usual well mannered selves. A quick dash under the train station to avoid archeology and a wander through Hunslet and to home. Twenty nine and a quarter miles, 1200 feet of climbing and a big grin, that even the odd shower did not wash away.

Garmin doing what a garmin does,

17032017.jpg

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Got a week off work, making an effort not to be lazy and do miles other than the usual utilitarian ones, so today I joined Freewheel North for their Friday ride.
Still managed to mix some utilitarian though, diverting by Tesco to get some freshly baked doughnuts for the staff.
Last year this week was mild and sunny, I remember because I took a bike train leading job on my week off, we got a wee drizzle just the once: today it never stopped raining and blowing a gale!
Three FWN ride leaders, a Breeze leader, a Belles on Bikes leader, two participants made up the group, we got well and truly soaked on our urban ride to Newlands park, which has acquired a nice coffee shop I didn't know about.
Espresso ... 5 out of 10, cake selection outstanding.
Only took a few pictures, at the stop, not wanting to drench my phone
IMG_20170317_113816887.jpg Valentine's empire biscuit :scratch:
IMG_20170317_113920881_HDR.jpg IMG_20170317_114619739.jpg
Home on around 20 miles, the Aldi carrier bags I wore in my shoes were just beginning to let the water through :okay:
Strava link here for the locals, this is a nice route on quiet roads that also crosses Maxwell park and Pollock park, would be an ideal wee ride on a sunny, dry day.

Top Bottom