Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I got out early this morning, and trialled a new imperial ton ride.
IMG_3995.JPG

I used the back roads to cut out the nightmare of getting to Winchester on a Friday Morning.

IMG_3996.JPG

Then I headed up to Farnborough via Farnham, because I needed to work out a route to get to Farnborough Main station, owing to one of my ride buddies getting into 'bonk related difficulty' on my previous down and back to London. If the merde hits the fan after Woking, and before Winchester, the problem was that a train evacuation becomes a PITA, involving a return to Woking, and a train change, with this amendment, there's an option of getting to Farnborough main, and getting a direct train to a station where a 'spousal evacuation' is easier.

I stopped at Farnham for a beer

IMG_3993.JPG

Then continued Home.

IMG_3997.JPG

https://www.relive.cc/view/903718674

Almost exactly 100 miles, and a very nice route nailed, which is easily extendable all the way up to London, if needs be:bicycle::thumbsup:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
41 and a bit windy miles this morning , drizzling when leaving so full waster proof gear.

Out and across to Rothwell down some new to me roads for about 7 miles . A quick stop at the American war memorial near Draughton then back home via Lamport ,Holcot,Moulton,Overstone,Mears Ashby,Earls Barton and back in to Wellingborough.

Used the Terry Dolan bike and that was it's longest ride with me.

13 rider

Guru
Planned a nice leisurely 20 odd mile recovery ride this morning after 3 days of commuting . Out at 10.30 in glorious sunshine down the first hill into drizzle but not that bad. Anstey ,Cropston ,Rothley ,Cossington and up humble lane into Ratcliffe on the Wreake saw 2 riders coming the other way . One was a work mate quick wave as we passed .On up the Wreake valley ,Thrussington ,Hoby and up down and up again through Ragdale .An hour in and legs not too bad so half centuryitus kicks in so plan an extended route home for 50 km.Seagrave ,Sileby ,Mountsorrel ,Swithland ,Rothley and home . 31.4 miles in the bag bit drizzle of at times but nothing too bad but windy in places the exposed bit entering Ragdale had a massive crosswind blowing me sideways at time and a headwind home I must plan my routes better

Last edited:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I was supposed to drive to Empingham in Rutland and meet my brother for a ride today but he wimped it when he saw rain out of his window.
Never mind. Off I went down toward Toft in a decent headwind, it would be interesting for all of the ride!
In Haslingfield I took a right turn up over Chapel Hill, the slope was at least sheltering me from the wind... until I went over the top! Down through the village and then the turn to Orwell. At the right angled bend I was expecting a hammering from the gale but it wasn't too bad.
Up Old Wimpole Hill and along the ridge, by heck, it was blowy up there!
I then turned left on the A1198 going on the helter skelter down to the Arrington roundabout. Here I turned in a south westerly direction. Jigger me!!! I was down to 11mph in places! My respite was a turn to go up the biggest hill of the day. Just before the steepest section the hedge opened up to give me a screaming cross wind.
At the top I stopped to water the verge at the water board compound, how apt.
IMG_2112.JPG

I only had a speck of sunshine today, but the skies were pretty.

On to Gamlingay and a turn to get out of the wind
IMG_2114.JPG

In Gamlingay at the junction by the curry house I went to go, just pushing on the pedals and my bloody chain came off! There I was in no mans land, wobbling frantically, still clipped in but not really going anywhere fast. Luckily there was no traffic! I made it across safely and unjammed my chain whilst swearing.

I stopped at Waresley GC
IMG_3790.JPG

As I was leaving the field opposite caught my eye as it had some good looking inhabitants
IMG_3788.JPG

Jacob sheep and lambs. Well worth a photo.

Back through Waresley Woods and the Gransdens, there were more interesting, and luckily dry skies
IMG_2122.JPG

Coming back toward Hardwick I decided to go through Dry Drayton and Madingley before coming home.

It was a blowy 44 miles. Not a great deal of bird life, just a magpie and a buzzard

https://www.strava.com/activities/904648271/

Last edited:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Might have gone a bit mad the last two weeks with the commuting miles, so short ride this morning. I had to go to the bank which is a three or four mile round trip. #
Set off and it is nice and warm so went the long way, after six miles I was averaging well over 17mph, then I turned into the wind, blimey it was brutal. By the time I'd been to the bank and got home I'd done just over 11 miles and the average speed had dropped below 16mph.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Legs were a bit tired but I headed out to meet Steve E and Sara P at Newland. Steve called the route so we headed for Alfrick and on down to Knightwick. There was a stiff breeze blowing but we were getting some shelter in the lanes. Occasionally we needed to hide on a wheel. Chat kept flowing as we climbed at Doddenham for Martley. Steve called the loop by Ockeridge and Sinton Green. Nice as we hadn't done this one for a while. That did mean a headwind section by Wichenford to the cafe.

The coffee and the chat was flowing well but it was time to head back. We took the shortest route to Broadheath and Bransford with some headwind to deal with at times. Soon we were parting to go our separate ways. Just three of us today but that did mean we had a proper catch up this time. 41 smiles

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Spent most of yesterday finishing off the electrics in my VW camper, and ended the day with one hell of a backache. Good excuse to have a bit of time off this morning, so headed up to WGP for a quick lap and home. Got to Thorpe and came across the 'Caution - Cycling Event In Progress' signs, turned out to be a BHF event so I diverted onto the back roads away from the groups. By the time I passed the same place on the way home at about 9am it was absolutely heaving with cyclists. Glad to have avoided that lots, but fair play to them for doing the ride.

Spent most of yesterday finishing off the electrics in my VW camper, and ended the day with one hell of a backache. Good excuse to have a bit of time off this morning, so headed up to WGP for a quick lap and home. Got to Thorpe and came across the 'Caution - Cycling Event In Progress' signs, turned out to be a BHF event so I diverted onto the back roads away from the groups. By the time I passed the same place on the way home at about 9am it was absolutely heaving with cyclists. Glad to have avoided that lots, but fair play to them for doing the ride.
Yes we saw them on the way to Brooklands for some shopping.
It was the London to Reading ride (which actually started from Kempton Park)
Some of the riders did not look so experienced.
A fellow club member mentioned to me a few days ago that his wife - who is not an experienced cyclist - was entering and he had be out with her to help ensure she was prepared.
40 miles the route they were doing it via Henley

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Yes we saw them on the way to Brooklands for some shopping.
It was the London to Reading ride (which actually started from Kempton Park)
Some of the riders did not look so experienced.
A fellow club member mentioned to me a few days ago that his wife - who is not an experienced cyclist - was entering and he had be out with her to help ensure she was prepared.
40 miles the route they were doing it via Henley
I looked the route up this afternoon, could have been better to be honest, they put them along the A329 which is a bit like a racetrack, and at 9 o'clock n a Saturday morning was going to be busy..

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Ah the ever present Scottish drizzle: being this one of my rare weekends off work, I put up a Belles ride.
No takers, I mean, we only have 1000 odd members on our Meetup page, a group of lady cyclist that don't want to cycle!
Never mind, I set out myself, leaving home at 8.30, as I wanted to cross town while missing the Saturday shopper's traffic.
The original plan was to do a round trip to the village of Bishopbriggs on roads, just about 5 miles from town, then come back via the canal.
I stuck to it more or less, but took the chance of also exploring a bit.
Some short sharp hills got me to remove the bottom waterproofs that make me overheat, spent the rest of the ride just getting wet a bit: it felt cold on stopping, so I only stopped briefly for some pictures for you ^_^
Here is one of our meeting points, the People's Palace (a museum with winter gardens and a lovely coffee shop annexe). Next to it the famous terracotta fountain. Note the ominous clouds that showered me on and off for the next 25 miles!
IMG_20170318_085847312_HDR (640x353).jpg IMG_20170318_085739980_HDR (476x640).jpg
The People's Palace and the terracotta fountain are situated in Glasgow Green, the biggest city centre park. NCN 75 goes through this park, along the river Clyde.
I made my way across the sleepy city to climb up to the canal entrance: here is a (wet) view from the top.
IMG_20170318_092649793_HDR (640x345).jpg
I did not stay on the canal, took quiet back roads instead, there was hardly any traffic, still, VWM had to beep me because I was in primary at pinch point, why was he not still in his bed anyway? :laugh:
Then, on a long incline, I dropped my chain, exactly in the same spot this happened a year ago, on a different bike: that road does not like me!
Another wee shower on reaching Bishopbriggs, I took the canal back from there as the traffic started to get heavier.
I'm not a great fan of canal riding, so I left it at the first opportunity, crossed the busy Maryhill road, took the NCN to Kelvingrove park where I found an exit that avoided a route with lots of blind bends usually packed with dog walkers.
Before heading back home via the riverfront, I popped in the Glasgow Bike Station, they had a bike jumble sale: I managed not to buy anything ^_^
A picture from the canal: note the upper bit, that is often frequented by unsavory characters drinking. A group of them emerged while I was taking this picture, one of them pushing his bike while drinking from a bottle in a paper bag :rolleyes:
IMG_20170318_102104471 (640x359).jpg Lambhill Stables cycling hub on the canal
IMG_20170318_102125472 (640x360).jpg Seedy canal lane!
25 leisurely miles, discovered a new cycling path that needs further exploring, a soaking or two, an enjoyable Saturday morning not at work for a change.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Rode the 'short' Vélo 29 York-Leeds-York Sportive this morning with a mate.

This is a new one for us, although it starts from the same place as the Wiggle Vale Vélo in a couple of weeks. Apparently they had nearly 1,000 riders signed up for the three rides - there were certainly enough people milling around registration and at the start!
20170318_080051.jpg

The ride heads west, along the bottom side of York and into the countryside. We set quite a decent pace initially, although we were always aware of the headwind which was forecast at 15-20mph, depending which app you use. Soon out into the countryside after negotiating the streets of York with no major incidents and past the sewage works which absolutely stank. I don't know what they're eating in York, but by heck...xx(

The next bit was interesting, as the organisers had elected to use the Solar Cycleway at Naburn (NCR65?) to cross the River Ouse, which involved 100 yards of narrow rough stony path before the short climb onto the former railway line. Blimey that was rough - I don't know how the people with £1000 wheels got on but I felt every lump and bump. And of course, because it was a sportive there was some twit who had to force his way past everyone despite their barely being room for him :rolleyes:
The drop down from the cycleway was 'interesting' too, passing through a gap only slightly wider than the bike and down a narrow footpath onto the road below.

Anyhow, pressing on through the villages of Acaster Malbis and Appleton Roebuck, becoming even more aware of the wind as we turned into it.
We were getting into open countryside now, often with nothing to protect us from the wind and Tim's superior fitness was showing (he's a triathlete) and I was just about keeping pace with him, although dropping back a little.

Another sportive gem then as the shout "full power right" (what the heck???) came from over my shoulder and a group of very serious cyclists all in black blasted past inches from my elbow - I can only assume it was Team Sky in disguise such was their sense of self importance :rolleyes:

The slog into the wind eventually ended as we climbed into Tadcaster, where I was very happy to stop at a red traffic light for a couple of minutes, before the gentle climb up to Wighill, with me taking the lead now. I cycle around here a bit and this is great cycling country - nicely undulating and lots of little villages as we started heading back east and got the benefit of a bit of tailwind (although the law of sod dictates we were now riding between tall hedges...)
Just before Askham Richard the signs directed us up what appeared to be a farm track on some very rough tarmac, before eventually reaching the village and the feed station - the highlight of any sportive.

Had a good laugh with the staff and other cyclists as we hoovered up flapjack and sausage rolls and topped up water bottles, before heading back out of the village and climbed up to the summit of the ride at the aptly named Bilborough Top.
Back over the A64 and past the Golden Arches, through Colton and a lovely 5km of gentle descending back to Appleton Roebuck, where we picked up the outbound course and retraced the route back to York. We took advantage of the wind now as despite a bit of undulating, we had 8 straight miles where our average speed didn't drop below 16mph :hyper:
Back over the river on the fiddly bit and then to York, past the stinky sewages works and up the A19 without incident, but then two halfwit passes within a couple of miles (the only ones of note all day) before adding a little loop on to push the mileage beyond 40 (officially the route was 39.8miles)
Then it was on to the finish line for medals and protein bars. :tongue:

40.58 miles (65.3km) in 2h 50m at an average of 14.3mph, with 1,177 ft climbed.
It's a good route and would have been great without that blooming head wind - It's about as flat a ride as you can do in Yorkshire over that sort of distance, but still enjoys varied scenery and largely traffic free roads once out of York.
I don't know how those doing the longer routes got on as apparently a bit further west it's been pouring down for most of the day, which combined with that wind can't have been fun, especially for those climbing up into the Dales on the 'long' route.

18032017.JPG

Then we went up to the Agar Arms in Warthill, a couple of miles away, where we enjoyed a well earned lunch. It's a great village pub, with good quality, reasonably priced food and well worth a stop if you're in the area.

IMG_20170318_120639823_HDR_edited.jpg

IMG_20170318_122422956.jpg

:hungry:

Top Bottom