Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colly

Re member eR
Two full weeks since my last ride. Two weeks of sore throats, coughing and congestion. Not quite unwell enough to stop me working but more than enough to keep me off the bike.
Over the worst now so this aft I went out in a what seemed like a gale. A little tester. Felt much better for the effort too.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/13473805

Just under 20 miles of huffing and puffing.

Can I ask how much you paid for the Tannus tyres, are they any good? Any negatives and how do they compare with regular road tyres at 100 psi?
I got them for 70 quid ( a bike show promotional price) They have proven to be as good as any normal pneumatic tyre ( except special super duper racy types), and they can't puncture, which is nice. The only negative I can think of, is that they are slightly different in feel, but you get used to them pretty quickly, full price is about 110 quid as well, so not cheap, but if you use them on a winter / bad weather / type bike, it will take absolutely ages to wear them out. Tannus warranty them for 5000 miles ( if I recall correctly). They are pretty good, all things considered. I've ridden them in pouring rain, good surfaces, poor surfaces, cobbles, and cattle grids, with no issues. They come in 2 'virtual pressures' 130 and 100 psi, and 2 sizes ( on the 700c / road versions) 23 and 28 mm at present. I have 100psi 28mm versions.

IMG_3921.JPG

They come in all sorts of colours as well, I've gone for blue ( as you can see). Fitting them is an acquired art too :laugh:.

D

Deleted member 1258

Wistow the destination, 59 miles the journey.Not an ideal day for a bike ride but better than the last two Sundays, it wasn't too cold but grey and blowing a hooli. I decided on a straight out and back route rather than do the route through Lutterworth, Kimcote and Saddington, So my route out took me through Shilton, Witthybrook and on to Ullesthorpe, a right turn took me on to Gilmorton where a right and left turn took me through Peatling Pava and Peatling Magna, I'm not sure what the local farmer was brewing up for his crops there but it closed of my sinuses and must have peed off the villagers, it was that strong I could taste it xx(. I then picked up the gated road through to the main road, there's a church at the end of the gated road, St Bartholomew's, that always seems to be well attended, then left and right across the main road and through Kilby and on to Wistow. Great ride out with the tailwind most of the way there, great fun flying in front of the wind. For the way back I just retraced my wheel tracks, not much fun riding back, most of the time I was just slogging into the wind, hard work and very slow.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/13472541

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
My ride today was to do some route finding on the west side of Durham City for a ride I'm doing with @EasyPeez next month.

The idea being to leave the centre of Durham to head up Lanchester Valley.

So I start at Palace Green with a view of the cathedral:

P1000415.JPG

And castle:

P1000416.JPG

Nipping out into North Bailey, I decide to trundle down the cobbles of Bow Lane to have a quick look at the Ove Arup designed pedestrian bridge:

P1000417.JPG

Back up Bow Lane into North Bailey:

P1000418.JPG

More cobbles take me to Prebend's Bridge:

P1000419.JPG

Cross over that, then into Margery Lane past Durham School to the entrance of a footpath, which is where the exploration begins:

P1000420.JPG

Shouldn't really cycle up there, and up is the word.

I always know when I'm climbing hard when the front wheel lifts on the ebike.

P1000421.JPG

Doesn't look so steep in the pic, but the wheelies tell me it is a bit nasty.

At least it brings me out where I thought it would - on the A690 towards Neville's Cross - more steady climbing, but it's then a right turn, a bit of flat, then left to pick up the Lanchester Valley track.

Only locals will still be following the locations by now, but I decide to loop back to the centre of Durham City following the NCN signposts.

This involves descending the nasty climb of Redhills Lane, which we would have to climb if we don't use my Prebend's Bridge route.

Redhills is one way coming up for cars, two ways for cyclists, which some drivers don't realise.

Given it's narrow and there are a couple of left hand bends, descending is a bit iffy.

The map sites reckon it peaks at 20 percent, which I reckon is about right.

Looking down:

P1000423.JPG

Looking back up:

P1000424.JPG

From the bottom of Redhills, it's a short ride down North Road back to the centre of Durham City.

Time for a last pic on one of Durham's near-1,000 year old bridges in Silver Street:

P1000426.JPG

So it's either climb up Redhills or climb up that ruddy footpath.

However, like the best footie managers I have a plan B, or C, or wherever it is we've got to.

That will be to climb up past County Hall, which is longer, but given it's the same elevation whichever way, not as steep as the other two routes.

Decisions, decisions.

Last edited:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
After yesterdays heroics (it's all relative ^_^), I wanted to get out again today, even with a grim forecast.
It was raining when I got up, but had stopped by the time I was ready to go but looked like it might start again at any time. And if anything the wind was worse today, with it forecast at 20-25mph, so potentially 10mph up on yesterday.

So it called for a route where I'd be sheltered for the worst of it, or have it behind me...

Up Coal Road, then Red Hall Lane (wind in face), A58, then Whin Moor Lane, where one of those new fangled Rolls Royce coupes was pulling out of Hobberley Lane. Still, with the wind back in my chops I had no time for such automotive ostentatiousness ;)
Eventually climbed into Shadwell and for a rare change turned left up the hill rather than right down it. Undulated through the top half of the village, enjoying more of a head wind up to the Slaid Hill lights, which don't appear to be detecting bikes again. So I sat there for a few minutes until a car turned up and tripped them (I was on the verge of getting off and pushing my bike round :whistle: ) and I was off again, descending down Wike Ridge Lane.
This is a nice twisty roller coaster bit of road, spoilt only by having grates two feet from the nearside kerb in places, forcing you to take a very primary position in places, but as there were few cars about it wasn't a problem today.
I then took the right turning by the golfists club and headed down the hill, before climbing back up past the other golfist place up as far as Tarn Lane, where a quick wiggle saw me onto Ling Lane (or Millionaires Row). This is where to find some of the most expensive homes in the area, where 7-bedroom mansions straight from the set of Footballers Wives can be yours for the price of a bedsit in that there London :whistle:
Despite the wealth around there, the actual road surface was appalling - it's no wonder they've all got 4x4's - they need them to get up the street! Or maybe it's a cunning plan to keep the proletariat cyclists away? ;)
From there it was a quick whizz down the A58 into Scarcroft and right onto Thorner Lane for the twisty drop then climb up to Milner Lane and the descent into Thorner.
Through the village with the church bells ringing (which was nice, but they needn't have bothered on my account :laugh:) and then onto Carr Lane for some more undulations and to spare my tired legs the climb up Van Zyl Hill.
Although largely sheltered from the wind along here, there is still a bit more up than there is down, so I was glad to crest the final rise. I was less impressed to see the road ahead blocked by a road repair gang and their equipment - 'Oh, flip!' I thought, but not wanting to retrace my route all the way back to Thorner, I carried on and had a friendly chat with the foreman (the one in the cleanest hi-viz ;)) who quite happily said I could go through if I was careful and directed me between their big tipper truck and the kerb - not somewhere I'd normally venture on the bike, but as the driver was out of the cab I was quite safe. So, all good and a bit of common sense and a friendly chat saved me a couple of miles not having to go back around the other way. :okay:
A quick blast down the A58 and the sharp climb up onto Coal Road before a wind assisted blast all the way down to home.

13.61 miles (21.9km) in a steady 1h 6m at an average of 12.3mph, with 931ft climbed (that's under 200ft less than I did in the whole 40 miles yesterday!).
Despite the grim forecast, the rain pretty much held off for the entire ride round with just a few spits and spots here and there. The wind definitely made it's presence felt though.
And my reward for getting out early to avoid the deluge? That would be the sun coming out about half an hour after I'd got home and staying out for most of the day...:rolleyes:

Sorry no photos today as it was grey and overcast and I was trying to beat the (wrongly forecast) weather - but here's a map:
19032017.JPG

Last edited:

Diggs

Veteran
Yesterday (yes I know) I attended the Team OnForm launch at Writtle University College. A ride with the team of 42 miles followed by refreshments and the launch presentation in the campus. At over twice the age of the riders, I certainly knew I'd been out on the bike but what a fantastic sustainable idea to get a number of men and women's teams running whilst allowing some of the riders the flexibility to study their degree course. I'm really looking forward to watching them compete.

tmp_2410-_20170319_210115-1766644018.JPG

tmp_2410-DSC_0569-325883344.JPG

tmp_2410-IMG_20170318_175457_329824452776.jpg

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
10 miles this day, just trying to work in some rides as spring approaches a bit more slowly here in the States. I saw but 2 other riders out there, but I had seen some touring cyclists working their way out the freeway earlier in the day, I hope they had a good journey. I know they had a very chilly one. I got the Trek 600 out for the first time this year. The rain the other day cleared the salt from the roads, and made things a bit clearer.
55F
Winds S13 G21
Relative humidity 48%
Barometer 30.26 1027.3mb
Partly cloudy, good cycling weather.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Yesterdays ride, as usual.

With a brisk wind swirling around the Shires, I decided to head into it on the way out, and hope for an easier return leg. As it goes with winds, it nearly worked for some of the time..
I chose an easy route as I'd sprained my right ankle quite badly earlier in the week and didn't want to push it too much.

IMG_1002.png

What a name for a road in Rothersthorpe!! :whistle:

Canyon-Inflite8.jpg

Under the new University bridge over the River Nene.

IMG_1009.png

Ecton Hall gateposts.

Untitled.png

31 miles in quite warm and sunny, but very windy weather.

https://www.strava.com/activities/906208682

:smile:

Last edited:

Freds Dad

Veteran
I did a nice little 22 miles around the Cheshire Plain to try out the new to me saddle and even had time to stop off for a free coffee at Waitrose in Knutsford. On my way back I went through Lower Peover to see the completed Tree of Imagination and if you are down this way it really is worth a detour to see the tree.
It was a blustery day with the wind coming from various direction but I managed to draft some riders who were taking part in a local sportive and it really does make a difference.

http://lower-peover.co.uk/lower-peovers-tree-of-imagination/

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I must have been reading the many posts thread to make two posts in here in two days.

The bike was in the back of the car from yesterday's tootle around Durham, so I decided to drive up to Consett and take the C2C to Parkhead.

It soon became clear I had underestimated the wind, some gusts were enough to blow me off course.

On the ebike I can plod away into wind, but I increasingly dislike being out in it for any length of time.

So I did a few miles, reasoned it would have been worse further on because it's higher and more exposed, and turned around.

I was all but blown back to the site of this pic, the so-called 'suicide bridge' at Hownsgill.

Despite the extra metalwork, one or two desperate souls still clamber over it to get the job done.

The wind was really ripping along the valley, so I repaired to the shelter of the excellent cafe at the small caravan site nearby.

A sausage, two big ones actually, in a bun, and a coffee for £3.50.

Not that I felt I'd earned it today.

P1000427.JPG

gaz71

Über Member
I did my furthest ride of the year so far,20.1 miles.Im surprised i managed to go so far (20 miles is a long way for me) as it had been a really busy day at work and i was feeling lethargic before id even got on my bike.Thankfully the wind had died down meaning i was able to enjoy the ride,until my butt starting aching.

gavgav

Guru
Well that was a ride of two halves!

Set out after work in lovely evening sunshine, and headed through Bayston Hill, up Lyth Hill and then down through Exfords Green to dads. Spent 20 minutes chatting and then set out for the journey home.

I became aware of a few light spots of rain falling as I reached Gonsal and over to my left, in the fading light, there appeared to be a monstrous black and in places green (?!!!) cloud hanging over Shrewsbury direction.

I got as far as the turn for Ryton and the heavens opened, so it necessitated a stop to don waterproof jacket. Well, from there onwards it just got worse and worse, with apocalyptic Rain, Hail, Sleet and very strong gusty winds.

I ploughed my way through Condover and the fast appearing floods along Lyons Lane, to Betton. The chain started to squeak due to the fact it was getting very wet and it wasn't the only one, as I was drenched by the time I got back home.

15.1 miles and even with the weather it was still more enjoyable than the dire day I had at work :smile:

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Sunny day, set out with the intention of doing my fairly standard 34 mile ride that includes a couple of hills and also gets me another point in the Half Century a month challenge. Got to the top of the first hill and thought maybe I'd spend some of the time gardening instead, so replanned a bit. So instead of doing Wotton hill and descending to Dursley I went the other way at the top of the hill to join the A46 for a bit, heading south, and then peeled off towards Tresham.

It was at this point that I realised that the sensation of flying along on the first part of the ride and breaking some of my Strava PRs (which I did) was mainly due to a westerly wind that was a bit stiffer than I realised. In fact, to the west of Tresham it was becoming quite hard work to cycle along the mostly level road! But the sun was still shining and the views ahead were good.

The Tresham road descends fairly gradually down to Alderley, except for a bit of steep kick fairly near the bottom. This doesn't show an arrow on the OS maps, but in my head it has one! As it has this mental arrow, I tend to avoid riding up it. But today, going down, I thought to myself 'this doesn't look too bad really,' so at the bottom of the steep bit I turned around and headed back up it, just to prove to myself that I could.

As you probably all know, perception of steepness can be quite variable. Some hills I drive up and think 'bit steep for cycling' but they don't look too bad when seen from the bike. In this case, 'not too bad' perceived when going down it turned into 'ooh, er, wonder if I can make it!' I did, but I'm glad it didn't go on for much longer (I obviously need to do more hills!!)

So turned around again and continued the ride back down to Alderley, then Wotton and then home.

Top Bottom