Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Gorgeous day today so off I went. 12 miles done. Lots of traffic on The roads today including motor bikes. Gorgeous sunny warm day. And I saw 2 cyclists.
WP_20170402_12_34_08_Pro.jpg
WP_20170402_12_18_30_Pro.jpg
WP_20170402_12_15_05_Pro.jpg
WP_20170402_12_34_08_Pro.jpg
WP_20170402_12_18_30_Pro.jpg
WP_20170402_12_15_05_Pro.jpg

The Bystander

Über Member
Oh what a sunrise! A golden ball climbing into a clear blue sky. The forecast promised the absence of the recent seemingly constant wind too. Sadly it had clouded over by the time breakfast was over, still mild with a light wind though.

Today was going to be a short shakedown ride on the road bike for the first time this year. A couple of tweaks to adjust the saddle to go with the new shorter stem and all was well. I was flying along and feeling quite pleased with myself until the first of the Kettering CC TT riders flew by and left me putting things into perspective in their wake.

I had chosen the TT route as a shortish run to re-acclimatise myself to the road bike (not realising that there was an event today) but I felt immediately comfortable so added another loop up to Harrington and Rothwell to take it up to 25 miles.

It wasn’t just Kettering CC that I encountered; at least 2 other club runs, several social ride groups and a goodly number of solo riders and pairs crossed my path (there was some waving and nodding).

On the return leg I felt 25 miles wouldn’t be enough so added a detour to Old, Hannington and Orlingbury to take it up to 50km for the monthly challenge. There were still a few miles in the legs when I got home so maybe my first imperial half century will be on the cards soon.

Just the metric half this time:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
What a lovely sunny morning although the air was still chill. I met Margaret PR at Tunnel Hill. There were marshals there for a road race. LVRC promotion for the oldies apparently. We went by the school for Forthampton and the Hams. Plenty of riders were out singly and in various group sizes. Keen youngsters were in shorts. It's not even May yet. Clouts should not be cast etc etc. At Hartpury I surprised Margaret by heading up onto Woolridge. Lovely day for the view. Then on around by the College to emerge at Highleadon set us up for a coffee stop at The Trioscape. CTC riders abounded here. There is a meet this weekend at Apperley and 90 riders were out on the roads.

We rode the ramp up to Brand Green where the wood anemones were in fine form and there are signs that the bluebells are starting to show. As we dropped from Redmarley we decided to go by Pendock and Berrow and on into the Castlemorton lanes. Too soon it was time to part at Welland Stone. I'd just the standard run back after having had a lovely ride around with my friend. 48 smiles

PaulB

Legendary Member
I've had mixed messages on the medical front but don't want to go in to that too much just yet but basically, one says I should cease and desist strenuous activity while another says I should carry on doing what I love doing. For the moment, running and mountain climbing is out but riding may well be my salvation. Here's today's ride. https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1653835865

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I've just got back,after doing 30.44 miles in 2 hr 29 mins averaging 12.2mph. I did a bit of a loop as i didn't fancy being miles from home and puncturing,though touchwood i seem to have the puncture gods watching over me these days. I'm quite pleased with myself. That's the longest distance i've done since August,before my double hip break. I didn't intend going so far. I intended doing 15 miles,but after 15 i felt fine, so i did 20 miles and so on.I didn't make it easy for myself either. I picked out a few decent hills along the way. All in all a good ride,maybe 35 miles next week, then it wont be long before i can rejoin my club on their Wednesday "pensioners" slow ones" 4th division" 50 mile rides!:okay:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Forecast for Sunday was good...bright, not cold, very little wind. But then I went and prejudiced a good, long ride by going out to watch the Stranglers yesterday...beer, cocktails, thai food, dancing, sweating. Fair to say I wasn't in the best possible physical shape this morning

But, couple of pints of water, porridge and out we go. Still days are such a rarity around here I always try to do a bigger ride. This one included Holme Moss (which is hard), a real nasty one out of Holmfirth, Jackson Bridge (National Hill Climb venue), Oughtibridge climb, another one out of Bradfield and then, just when you're almost home, Snake Pass. All in 59 miles and 6,100ft of climbing

The roads were full...cyclists (I think there was a sportive on), motorcyclists (more of that later), vehicles. I knew it was a hard ride so I took it relatively easy over Holme Moss. First big effort...South Lane out of Holmfirth...done. Then almost immediately you get Jacksons Bridge where I've watched the National Hill Climb Championships. Tough climb but managed it ok.

Went past a major wind farm. The windmills are really spectacular close up

upload_2017-4-2_15-41-2.png

I decided to stop in Stocksbridge. Found a really nice café at the foot of Pea Royd Lane (another Hill Climb location). I was tempted by the big breakfast but went for the small....still a lot of climbing to do. £3 !!! A real bargain and warm enough to sit outside to eat

upload_2017-4-2_15-43-23.png

There's a sausage hiding under there.

More hills...Oughtebridge is hard work, Bradfield is hard too. Then final one of the Snake Pass. When I got to the top there was a helicopter

upload_2017-4-2_15-45-5.png

Turns out it was the air ambulance. A few hundred metres down the Glossop side there had been a collision between a motorcyclist and a car. Everyone seemed ok. But there had been some dodgy overtakes from motorcyclists all morning. Going too fast, trying to squeeze through small gaps. No surprise at all if one of them has misjudged something

Home, shower, coffee. Beers being chilled, roast pork and all the trimmings to come

D

Deleted member 1258

A late start for me today, Dads taxi was needed early on, drove back from the station changed my shoes and out on the bike for 10. A fairly direct route out to Willoughby through Baginton, Wappenbury, Eathorpe, Marton, Birdingbury, Leamington hastings, Hill and Grandborough. A Wind assisted quick for me very enjoyable ride out. The ride back was largely into the breeze, a bit slower and more scenic. Out through Sawbridge, Broadwell, Long Itchington and Hunningham, when I got to the Leamington Road I turned right through Bubbenhall and Ryton. This is where I came across the Scooter Club, lots of Lambretta's and Vespa's running around, I'd forgotten that two stroke smell. Continued across the A45, theres a roundabout there now, put in because too many people were killed crossing the original crossroads, but I recon the new roundabout is more scary than the original layout.Continued through Wolston and into Coventry through Brandon and Binley Woods. Riding into Coventry I came across a fella on a recumbent trike riding with a friend on an ordinary bike, their pace was was impressive, on the climb up towards the Speedway Stadium I was struggling to stay with them and they gapped me near the top, riding through Binley Woods they just rode away from me, so well done who ever you were, you're going well. Another enjoyable morning out on the bike, 52 miles covered, a bit fresh at the start but warming up nicely as the day progressed, by the time I was on my way back I was over dressed and I was seeing lots of people cycling in short sleeves and shorts.

13 rider

Guru
After yesterday's 100 miler Received a text from Andy did I fancy a ride Today with him and his wife Lisa who is very much a pootler so a nice relaxed ride for me .So meeting arranged for 1300 . Sunshining :sun:this morning so I decided to do a few miles before lunch. Out the door at 10.30 up through Newtown Linford up Sharpley hill and a climby route round the back off Markfield and down past Thornton reservoir and back home via Markfield and Newtown where the park was rammed due to the sunshine so parked cars everywhere so slow progress . Refuelled at home with bacon sandwich :hungry:. Back out at 1230 to meeting point in Rothley via Cropston . Got to meeting point early so decided to go round the block at the first junction there Andy and Lisa having a rest . Pulled over and we chatted about where how far and how flat ( Lisa Dosn't like hills ) we were going . So off we go Cropston turned to Swithland on to a rolling lane .Coached Lisa into accelerating on the downhill instead of freewheeling to get some momentum to make the hills easier which seemed to work . Through Swithland and headed to the new cafe on Swithland lane which was very nice and quite busy .On down to Quorn and back to Mountsorrel where Andy and Lisa turned for home to complete a 16 miler .Well done Lisa her longest ride . From here I took my commuting road home . 37 miles in the bag in glorious conditions which made it a 150 mile weekend and took me past 2000 miles for the year . A great weekend on the bike

Last edited:

Freds Dad

Veteran
Another nice pootle around the lanes this morning. A bit chilly to start with so full finger gloves, overshoes and a merino base layer were required but as I got some miles in the gloves changed to fingerless and the base layer came off.
Lots of cyclists around Wilmslow and Knutsford and again around Jodrell Bank probably because of the excellent cafe.
The Garmin was showing 38.5 miles as I got near home so a quick scoot around the block ticked it over to 40 as it seems so much further.

https://www.strava.com/activities/924761635

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Down to Brighton today with @rb58 and @RedRider, to bag Aprils qualifying ride for the imperial century a month challenge.
What a lovely day's cycling. So nice to see blue skies. It was a little nippy this morning at first. But decided to go with shorts for the first time this year. For some reason I was relieved that rb58 & RedRider were too. We were also blessed with very light winds for down and for the return.
With very little wind and light traffic we were enjoying the roads. The Gatwick rush was a rush and the swooping roads down to Staplefield were a dream.
We got to Brighton in Record time. So much so that the fish and chip place on the beach hadn't even started frying yet. But they got on the case when confronted by very hungry cyclists. As usual, the fish and chips didn't disappoint. We hung around for @StuAff to turn up as he was cycling from Portsmouth. Had a bit of a chat then we where back on our way home. By now you could feel the warmth of the sun. It's a bit of a mare getting out of Brighton with the traffic and the hill. The route home was the A23 cycle path all the way back to Handcross. Surprising good and clear of debris. But.. yeah.. one of us had to get a puncture.. me.
Once back on the main roads we were making very good progress back towards home. I left the other 2 just after Croydon and cracked out the last few miles to home.. to a very nice cup of tea.. and a demanding 7yo wanting me to play on the trampoline.

A lovely days cycling, it rarely gets better.

020417.jpg

Last edited:

robjh

Legendary Member
A late start for me today, Dads taxi was needed early on, drove back from the station changed my shoes and out on the bike for 10. A fairly direct route out to Willoughby through Baginton, Wappenbury, Eathorpe, Marton, Birdingbury, Leamington hastings, Hill and Grandborough. A Wind assisted quick for me very enjoyable ride out. The ride back was largely into the breeze, a bit slower and more scenic. Out through Sawbridge, Broadwell, Long Itchington and Hunningham, when I got to the Leamington Road I turned right through Bubbenhall and Ryton. This is where I came across the Scooter Club, lots of Lambretta's and Vespa's running around, I'd forgotten that two stroke smell. Continued across the A45, theres a roundabout there now, put in because too many people were killed crossing the original crossroads, but I recon the new roundabout is more scary than the original layout.Continued through Wolston and into Coventry through Brandon and Binley Woods. Riding into Coventry I came across a fella on a recumbent trike riding with a friend on an ordinary bike, their pace was was impressive, on the climb up towards the Speedway Stadium I was struggling to stay with them and they gapped me near the top, riding through Binley Woods they just rode away from me, so well done who ever you were, you're going well. Another enjoyable morning out on the bike, 52 miles covered, a bit fresh at the start but warming up nicely as the day progressed, by the time I was on my way back I was over dressed and I was seeing lots of people cycling in short sleeves and shorts.
A lot of those roads were on my commutes in 2014 and 2015. Lovely routes, I miss those daily rides.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Turns out it was the air ambulance. A few hundred metres down the Glossop side there had been a collision between a motorcyclist and a car. Everyone seemed ok.
I think I saw the back end of this on my way home this afternoon. It looked like bike might have gone into back of car after aborting a misjudged overtake?

Anyway, my ride today saw me pass over the Snake summit about 10.30am to meet wife and kids in the car park of The Ladybower Inn. We then all rode a pleasant loop of the Derwent valley paths in the sunshine before returning to the pub mid afternoon for Sunday lunch. Mrs Skol had a couple of glasses of wine so I had to drive back which is a shame as I would have liked to ride back over the Snake on the return leg too.

Top Bottom