Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
A big day yesterday, so hopefully you'll forgive me for being a day late with this report?

We rode the 'Epic' course at the Wiggle Vale Vélo, so it was up early to get to York for registration at 7:15 - and fun and games as I was directed to park under a tree with low hanging branches. The lad directing traffic kept waving me forward, I stayed where I was and pointed at the bike on the roof...after a moment the penny dropped and I was told to stay where I was. :laugh:

Anyway, that all done and after completing registration we were off to the start and into a chilly but bright Yorkshire morning, heading out of Murton up towards Stockton on the Forest, the Upper Helmsley and Sand Hutton, before dropping down to Stamford Bridge to cross the River Derwent.
Quite a group of cyclists were gathered at the traffic lights on the bridge and of course one who'd had to squeeze into the middle to be near their mates set off in a ridiculously tall gear and couldn't get clipped in so was wobbling all over the place and nearly took a couple of people off. Anyway, disaster averted it was through the village and off through Fangfoss and Bolton (the Yorkshire one) with a bit of a headwind, before skirting the top of Pocklington and heading back out into the countryside for the climb up Great Givendale, the first big hill of the day. I was riding the Pro Carbon and while the higher gearing (compared to the Road Comp) had been great on the flattish terrain so far, I really felt it as we started four miles of continuous climbing. :heat:
Eventually we reached the top and the course separated, with us Epic riders turning east and after a little lumpiness along the tops, we were rewarded for all the climbing with lots of steady descending, broken by the first feed station at Huggate. Fed and water bottles topped up we were soon back on our way with more lumpiness but general descending to North Dalton, where shortly afterwards we turned north through Tibthorpe and then Wetwang, with a quick wiggle through the village and continuing north for a deceptive but stiff climb.
By this point the sun was out and it was getting rather warm, so a quick stop to take our jackets off and we continued to Sledmere where the course split again and we continued heading east through Cowlam on a lovely quiet road, eventually dropping down into Rudston, before being directed north once more - at this point we were just 6 miles from Bridlington and while it was tempting to carry on to the seaside, we had a ride to complete so it was off to Burton Fleming and feed station number 2.
A welcome break for more flapjack and the chance for a few stretches and it was time to turn back west and start heading back to York.

Unfortunately this also meant we now had a headwind to content with, as the wind had kindly changed direction from earlier...:rolleyes:
It was nothing too horrendous, but just enough to make sure that you knew it was there all the time through Wold Newton, Foxholes, Butterwick, Weaverthorpe, Helperthorpe, East and then West Lutton, Kirkby Grindalythe, Dugglethorpe, North Grimston and then Birdsall, by which time the sun had come out again.
IMG_20170401_135647405-PANO.jpg

Unfortunately at Birdsall there was also a killer climb up onto the tops of the Wolds and at this advanced state of the ride it was almost too much.
The high gearing (52/36 at the front, as opposed to 50/34) meant I was down to walking pace and I swear I thought I was going to pop a lung before I reached the top. But eventually I did and stopped at the first piece of flat tarmac to get my breath back and have a drink.:heat:
But, what goes up must come down and the reward for all that agony was the descent into Leavening - so steep it even had a marshal waving a flag to slow us down! :surrender: And I have to say that hydraulic disc brakes are worth every penny :hyper:
And in the village was feed stop 3, where a slightly longer break was taken along with a coffee.

With "only" 19 miles to go and only one "notable" hill we were in the home straight and it was just a matter of getting finished now, no matter how much our legs were grumbling, so we made the most of the descents and there was quite a bit of spinning going on but we kept grinding out the miles through Burythorpe, Eddlethorpe, Howsham and Bossall.
Eventually we turned onto the final loop through Sand Hutton, then Upper Helmsley, Warthill and Holtby. Then the dilemma of the day...the 'official' course was 98 miles - but what self respecting cyclist would get so close to their first imperial century and leave it at that?
Not us, that's for sure, so as we returned to Murton we turned off towards Osbaldwick adding a mile there before turning back to add another mile and ensure that we hit the ton.
And that we did as we cross the finish line on 100.08 miles :wahhey:
IMG_20170401_165731889_HDR.jpg

100.08 miles (161.06km) in a respectable 7h 36m at an average of 13.2mph with 4,449ft climbed. And six mini-bags of Haribo Tangfastic consumed. :laugh:
Hard work doesn't even begin to cover it. It's the closest I've ever come to binning off a bike ride, but I'm so glad that I stuck at it and ground out some difficult miles. Two new personal records (total distance, total ascent) and my first imperial century.
Plus we've raised a good wedge of cash for charity (see my sig.)

A great event with excellent work done all round by the marshals, the feed station volunteers and the crew at the end who cheered everyone over the line. And virtually all the cyclists taking part played the game, which always helps.
In fact, the only real fault I could find is who decided to set a route that is 98 miles long? :laugh:
An extra couple of miles could have easily been added into the route at several points, rather than doing what we did, but that aside it was good work all round.

And finally, the map:
01042017.JPG

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Now for todays ride.

After being out virtually all day Saturday on the bike I felt surprisingly chipper this morning, so decided to get a cheeky five-miler in before doing other stuff.
So a quick local spin was in order, if only to get the legs moving again and give the bike a shakedown.

Local roads to start and down to Cross Gates, with a quick loop through Manston and then out on Barrowby Lane for a straight mile out into the countryside that I've ridden loads, but not for ages. And I surprised myself after yesterday extertions that I averaged over 20mph over the mile.
A quick drink at the turnaround point and back the way I'd come, turning up form a loop around Pendas Fields and the run down to Barwick Road.
Then, instead of heading straight for home, I added another loop around Manston and then up to home.

So, a speedy 7.14 miles (11.5km) in 30m 16s at an acceptable average of 14.9mph, with just 252ft climbed.

Nothing major, but just what was needed to get the legs working again and good fun - and a bit further than planned, so a bonus too!

02042017.JPG

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Once back from that London I was tired, but itching for a ride. I took my mountain bike as there was something I wanted to see.
Out through the fields at the end of the village, bouncing all over the shop and out by the phone box in Caldecote. Down the hill I went. I saw 29mph on my garmin. I'd have gone for 30 but I was running out of road!
A quick scoot along the Bourn road and then the bridleway to the Red House. Along here I stopped for a pee. This sign is in the gateway
IMG_2367.JPG

Over the A1198 and on to the broad, green bridleway that used to be a railway track. It's a bit dull, just a wide, mown corridor, minus flowers. I left this track to go up the edge of a field. I flushed s buzzard from a tree. It flew to a tree in the direction I was heading to join its mate who I'd already spotted. I went under the tree expecting them to fly. They eyed my hungrily!
So I'd reached my destination,Hayley wood. The bluebells are only just showing but the wood anemones, violets and oxlips are out. A chiffchaff was calling too
IMG_2373.JPG
IMG_2375.JPG
IMG_2384.JPG
IMG_2388.JPG

I then took a bridleway that took me to Gransden glider airfield. I just missed one taking off, never mind. The sky was good though
IMG_2394.JPG

IMG_2397.JPG

I cycled through Bourn, the Lalbagh curry house smelling mighty fine, and then it was almost all bridleway home.
21 rural miles to get that nasty, smelly London from my lungs.

https://www.strava.com/activities/925265176

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I have finally pulled my finger out and got in touch with my local club, the Hounslow & District Wheelers, and up until last night was considering joining them today for a ride out to Clandon. I experienced some rather nasty pain whilst in London yesterday (Hard Rock café, a belated birthday lunch) which needed the magic pills to manage so thought better of it, last thing I wanted to do was get all 'leggy' on a first ride out.
Instead, the dawn awoke me at 0630, and being unable to sleep I popped a pill and headed out towards Hampton Court, figuring it would be quiet early in the morning. I'd made a minor adjustment to the saddle on the Roubaix, and it was in the wrong direction. Had to stop at Walton as it was too painful, a quick, small adjustment and all of a sudden it was super comfy, amazing what 1/2 a turn can do. Legs felt great though, such are the wonders of medicine nowadays, just a shame the body was lacking the energy to drive them. Must remember to eat better the night before. Anyway, Hampton Court was absolutely heaving with cyclists, even at just after 8:30am. Looped round and back through Bushey Park, then back towards home, metric century head now on. Usual roads out to Ascot before back via WIndsor Great Park, pausing for Soreen and a pic
April 100 2017.jpg

49.9 miles at this stage, and a straightforward amble through the park and home saw a nice round 63 miles, and the April metric half done at a satisfying 16mph.
Now to sort myself out and get along to next weeks HDW ride

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I think I saw the back end of this on my way home this afternoon. It looked like bike might have gone into back of car after aborting a misjudged overtake?

Anyway, my ride today saw me pass over the Snake summit about 10.30am to meet wife and kids in the car park of The Ladybower Inn. We then all rode a pleasant loop of the Derwent valley paths in the sunshine before returning to the pub mid afternoon for Sunday lunch. Mrs Skol had a couple of glasses of wine so I had to drive back which is a shame as I would have liked to ride back over the Snake on the return leg too.

I was there at 2pm and the incident had happened not too long before; a police car shot up from the Sheffield side when I was passing the Snake Pass Inn. I couldn't make out what had happened but there was a guy sitting at the roadside in a space blanket who I presume was the motorcyclist

There was some very fast motorcycling today, most of whom looked in reasonable control. I had a dodgy overtake; I was going up the Snake and a biker coming the other way overtook some cars by coming into the middle of my lane when I was there. Twonk.

gavgav

Guru
Dad opened the caravan back up last week and we headed up there for our first weekend break of the year. The weather was dire Friday, better yesterday and fabulous today, so I'm glad I chose today to do my bike ride.

Very chilly, first thing, at 4c,but glorious sunshine as I set out on what continues to be my favourite route outside of the Lake District. The main road down to Barmouth wasn't too bad, as the majority of the tourists hadn't yet woken up, one close pass but better than usual.

I dropped down to the promenade, pausing to capture the view over towards Porthmadog
IMG_0066.JPG

The promenade was nice and quiet and very different to Friday, when I arrived. A tidal flood alert had been issued and I arrived just as high tide hit, with waves crashing over the sea wall and onto the road. Quite a sight really!

There was a fair bit of debris on the road, from the waves and so I had to take care to avoid the stones and sand, but managed to do so and then climbed up to the turning for Barmouth Bridge. It was quiet and nice to ride across it without having to stop for pedestrians and I then joined the Mawddach trail, heading for Dolgellau. It was really quiet, other than the odd cyclist and walker, and with the wind behind me I made good progress, the only obstacles being where the high tide had encroached onto the path and left pools of water, on Friday.

Strava tells me that I knocked 14 minutes off my previous best time to Dolgellau!! I paused for a snack in my favourite spot overlooking the sports pitches, before looping through the town and then began the long steep climb up into the foothills of Cader Idris. I felt pretty good on the climb and again set my fastest Strava time.

Looking up to Cader Idris
IMG_0067.JPG

Things had warmed up a little now and so I was able to lose one of my 4 layers and I arrived at the fabulous setting of Cregennan Lakes. It never ceases to amaze me how good the scenery is and with the sunshine today it was no exception. I enjoyed my lunch sat by the lake, and had one of those moments when it feels so great to be alive :smile:

Cregennan Lakes
IMG_0068.JPG

IMG_0074.JPG

The view down to Barmouth Bridge wasn't bad either!
IMG_0075.JPG

Whilst taking this photo I had a text from Dad, saying that he was in Barmouth watching a bloke who had driven his BMW down the lifeboat ramp and was now stuck in the sand! :laugh: I was hoping he would still be stuck when I got back down, so that I could just laugh.

On the steep descent I was stopped by a chap, to ask if I could tell his wife to turn back, when I reached her, as there was no room in the other car for a lift. Slightly confused, I agreed to do so and upon reaching her she explained there were 2 cars following in their party and they'd disappeared. I then came across the other 2 cars, on the hairpins and the first of which was struggling to get up the hill and sounded a bit rough :surrender:. It is very steep and my brakes were very hot and sticking by the time I reached the main road again.

I rejoined the now very busy Mawddach Trail and had a very slow trip back across the bridge, avoiding pedestrians, now they'd all woken up and bizarrely a motorbike which I am pretty sure shouldn't have been being driven across the bridge :thumbsdown:

Barmouth was now heaving, but no sign of the BMW (shucks!) but there was another high tide, not as big as Friday, but waves were still crashing onto the promenade!

The journey back up the main road to Talybont was fine and I arrived back at the caravan having thoroughly enjoyed the ride.

33.2 miles

Last edited:

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Nice ride out to the Blue Egg, The club ride normally leaves East Finchley at 8-30 Sunday morning, Rather than ride to Finchley then back out again, We thought we would leave from Enfield at 8-30 take a steady ride out there then the rest of the club could catch us up.But we had such a good ride out we got to the Blue Egg in plenty of time, we where just finishing a full English when the rest of the club turned up. We all rode back together was another good ride with three of us ending up in the pub, A nice way to end the day, Roll on next weekend.:okay:
https://www.strava.com/activities/925299742

Last edited:

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
Song of the day.

View: https://youtu.be/rSqcxFGFVas

First time having a proper ride in 8 (eight) months. In which time I've managed to put on over two stone, and my goodness I felt every ounce of it going up Station Road in Woldingham, and Star Hill.

A shade under 40 miles to ease me back in. Strava segments laughably bad.

Wore my EU cycling jersey too, all through Brexit country. I was expecting a close pass or two, but all that happened was that a fella in a car coming the other way near Knockholt flashed his lights at me, then gave me the thumbs up as I passed.

The_Weekend_Report_Guy

Pablo's Cycling Tours
What did I do?
Saturday…. https://www.strava.com/activities/923107989

Some pics?

The bunch

17546800_1250184598410291_6685558770069837482_o.jpg

A view

17626199_1250184588410292_6692334005240760221_n.jpg

Mid ride coffee stop… And a little snack for my Russian friend..

17626516_1250185138410237_4978423468336988497_n.jpg

The bunch got a bit smaller… The views didn’t get uglier.

17629862_1250185118410239_4284822203603638951_n.jpg

And the after ride refreshments…

17757312_1250185301743554_521795860229127409_n.jpg

If you want to find out more about this tours I am giving follow the links on my signature..

Pablo

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
What did I do?
Saturday…. https://www.strava.com/activities/923107989

Some pics?

The bunch

View attachment 345350

A view

View attachment 345351

Mid ride coffee stop… And a little snack for my Russian friend..

View attachment 345352

The bunch got a bit smaller… The views didn’t get uglier.

View attachment 345353

And the after ride refreshments…

View attachment 345354

If you want to find out more about this tours I am giving follow the links on my signature..

Pablo
I am much liking your post-ride isotonic fluid replacement.

Bit like mine this afternoon. I popped round to the local, and ordered two pints of Guinness and one of their rather nice burgers.

I think I might have planned that, given I took cleat covers out with me.

Top Bottom