Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I got my Imperial Century challenge ride for April done yesterday.

Up early, though not as early as planned as my alarm didn't go off, but still managed to get out on the road at about quarter past seven. I was using the Raleigh for its first big ride of the year and heading for Lake Vyrnwy which entailed skirting through the suburbs of Shrewsbury initially then going through Montford Bridge, Great Ness, Pentre, Kinnerly and Knockin, then out on the road to Llynclys and up the Tanat Valley to Penybont Fawr and up Cwm Hirnant to Llanwddyn and the lake.

The ride went pretty well with blue sky and light winds. Traffic was mostly well behaved and there were a surprising number of motorcyclists out who were all on their best behaviour and didn't give me any bother at all.:okay:

I had one moment which made me jump. Passing a junction a cyclist suddenly shot into view from my left and on a collision course with me :ohmy:......... just as well it was only my reflection in a mirror hidden in the undergrowth.:shy:

Reaching the lake I did an anti-clockwise lap before heading for a cafe. Artisans was crammed so I decided to go down the road a short way and try the Old Barn Cafe which seems pleasant to me, has seating with a view outside and does a nicer hot chocolate.^_^

On my first lap of the lake I'd found I couldn't keep up the sort of pace I've done previously with this bike on this flat road. The return lap started out in a similar vein, not helped by the amount of traffic there now was round the lake (cars, motorbikes, cyclists and runners all competing for use of the narrow lane) and lots of standing water from recent rain. It did improve as I went round and I eventually got into a rythm and the speed crept up to a very nice 18-20 mph. :hyper:

Leaving the lake behind I had a fast descent along the twisty road to Abertridwr where my second big climb of the day started. I noticed another rider up ahead and feeling energetic, thought I could catch him. My legs had other ideas after that fast riding and I very quickly gave up on that one. However, approaching the summit I noticed the other rider only just going over the crest (I assume he'd stopped on the way for some reason) and I caught him on the descent. We chatted (he was also out to do a century and had come over the pass from Bala) and stayed together until just after Penybontfawr where my legs cramped up on the short climb.

He waited at the top of that climb for me but when we moved on again I wasn't able to keep pushing as hard as I'd been so let him stroll away at his own pace. A food stop seemed like a good idea so I paused by the junction for Llanrhaeadr and had my lunch.

A bit of food helped a great deal and with a light tailwind as well I made great progress down the Tanat Valley back to Llynclys. I didn't want to simply retrace my steps so turned right before Osbaston and headed for Maesbrook, Melverley, Prince's Oak and Westbury where I should have had another stop for a bite to eat, however being fairly close to home I decided not to which proved to be a mistake.

I was alright through Stoney Stretton and Edge but started to feel slow on the climbs at Shorthill and Exfords Green. The short route home via Lyth Hill didn't appeal so I took the flatter but longer way through Condover.

108.6 miles for the day at a very pleasing 14.1 mph moving average (almost exactly 9 hours when all the stops are included)

DSC0004385.jpg

Starting out into a fabulous (if slightly chilly) morning.

DSC0004386.jpg

Kinnerley

DSC0004391.jpg

In the Tanat Valley having just crossed the Afon Tanat at Pedair Ffordd.

DSC0004392.jpg

Climbing into the hills towards Hirnant
DSC0004394.jpg

The wild and bleak looking outlook at the summit of the climb.

DSC0004396.jpg
A good flow over the spillways at the dam.

DSC0004402.jpg

Oxford must have taken a wrong turning.:whistle: Elevenses stop and on boat race day I get to see my own version of it.

DSC0004403.jpg

Another view across the lake from a little further down the road.

DSC0004404.jpg

There are a few roadside waterfalls round Vyrnwy and there was quite a lot of water on the road too in places. The bike is plastered in mud.

DSC0004408.jpg

On my way home now and pausing for a last look at the Briedden hills just before I cross the border back into England.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
IMG_0803.JPG
IMG_0809.JPG
IMG_0811.JPG
IMG_0814.JPG

A lovely evening in North Yorkshire so a steady 10 mile MTB ride on my 16 year old Marin Muirwoods, still a lovely ride.
I'm really lucky to live where I live, straight out of the door up Towton Moor and over to Hazelwood Castle plus lots of bridleways and farm tracks near and around The battlefield.

Attachments

• IMG_0820.JPG
    IMG_0820.JPG
    118.5 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:

Aravis

Putrid Donut
It was pretty painful looking out yesterday on one of the most perfect cycling days imaginible. My opportunity was today, a bit breezy around here but not at all bad.

Time for another imperial century a month qualifying ride. My mount was to be a newly acquired beast which last Wednesday looked like this:

Trail.JPG

Apart from the frame and forks, all that remains are the headset, seat post (the bit that sticks in the frame anyway) and bolt, and the bottle cage bolts - I think that's it. I had to buy a threadless stem adapter and a couple of cables. Everything else comes from from my just-retired tourer. For a while I've been wondering about reconfiguring a reasonable quality hybrid as a tourer, and if ever there's been a moment to do it, this is it.

Here it is this afternoon on the northern slopes of Bredon Hill, near Pershore. The familiar Malverns on the left, and the Clee Hills showing nicely on the right. The Long Mynd was clearly visible but doesn't quite show up in the picture. The sky was much bluer earlier on and I'm looking quite pink this evening.

Apr3a.JPG

Because there was obviously a significant chance I'd need rescuing, I did a looping ride of 125.42 miles that stayed reasonably close to home. In the event there were no problems at all, and the experiment was passed with flying colours.

The nature spot of the day was a water rail which ran across the road in front of me.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
All this talk of Gorsey Brow got me wondering where this fearful climb was. I know the road, have been down a couple times and don't remember it being anything impressive. Guess I know where I will be heading next time the opportunity arises......

You know I'm no great shakes as a climber right? Well I've done hill repeats on Gorsey Brow so it's not that hard. It's steep at the bottom but you're fresh...then there is a decent stretch of 10% where you can spin it up. The only hard bit is the very top where it's 25%. You'll have no problem

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
That's raised the p*ncture fairies game to a new level! Glad you didn't lose control and hit the tarmac..

Thanks, fortunately it happened right at the top so only had a small moment of brakeypanic. I think I had the full P Fairy Mafia out for me.

Unlucky. Those are all my local climbs. Joel Lane (the one to the top of Werneth Low) is a tough one but Longhurst Lane is really nice except the final kicker isn't it?

I do Gorsey Brow every now and then as it's only a couple of miles from me. One tip though...only do it on a dry, warm day. The steepest bit (and we're talking 25%) needs you to get out of the saddle. If it's damp you'll spin and it becomes a real struggle. One final tip for Gorsey Brow.....if you come from Charlesworth (as you were planning on doing) cycle past the turn off to GB for a bit, then turn around to get a run at the left turn. It starts v steep so a bit of momentum will help

Thanks for the tips, really will need to go check it out. It sounds horrible. I loved the route till my moment, for me very challenging at the moment, but such beautiful views it didn't really matter.

I know all hills are different but how does Gorsey Brow compare to that Joel Lane climb I did complete en route?

You know I'm no great shakes as a climber right? Well I've done hill repeats on Gorsey Brow so it's not that hard. It's steep at the bottom but you're fresh...then there is a decent stretch of 10% where you can spin it up. The only hard bit is the very top where it's 25%. You'll have no problem

There you go @themosquitoking. 10% "decent stretch" "spin it up". :biggrin:

It's all relative! A fit rider doing it near home might be a different kind of challenge to two unfit riders (one of which who doesn't like hills and sub 20 degree temps) doing it 50 odd miles into a saddleworth, holmfirth, Holme moss, glossop, stalybridge ride, albeit with the promise of free beer at the end! :P

I actually have no idea of the hill, I never made it there but the Rapha gentleman who knows the Polocini organiser certainly built it up as a challenge!

Last edited:
A combined utility and leisure ride for me this afternoon to try and shake off the tiredness left from Saturday's efforts. Was lovely and warm, so just had a crop top under my jacket, put on ordinary leggings (but alas unpadded) and ditched full finger gloves for mitts.

Started out by heading into Downham, but this time stopped off at the garage to settle up the bill for my car's MOT (which it had failed rather spectacularly :cry:) and to tell them that it's no point throwing nearly four figures at a car that will probably fail again next year. The bods there did admire my bike though. :biggrin:

From there, I pedalled off through the village and towards Way Head to ride my usual loop via Coveney. Was hard work into a pretty brisk headwind, so was glad to stop outside St Peter's for a drink and a few haribo. :heat: Then it's down the hill and off towards Ely along West Fen Road. A crosswind meant a few interesting moments when bridging gaps in the hedgerows, but no dramas.

When I hit the A10 past Isle Vets the last of the commuter traffic seemed to be clearing away and the legs still felt reasonable, so instead of riding just the single junction and turning off to head back to Downham, I carried on towards Littleport, now helped along by a nice tailwind. It's not a ride I do terribly often because of the traffic, but it's one that offers a couple of long if not especially steep climbs, so it's a different kind of effort.

That was all going swimmingly until about halfway between Ely and Littleport, I had not one but two very close passes - both HGVs and both from the same Kings Lynn based hauliers. :angry: I could have reached out and touched the trucks as they went by, and they then compounded the rubber underwear moments by pulling in just a few feet away from my front wheel... :cursing:

With that negotiated, it was back down Black Bank Road into another stiff headwind and two miles of hell, as the wind had picked up markedly since I'd left Coveney. :cry: Fortunately from there it's not far to ride home. By then my bum was hurting and my hands were numb - too little padding on one and too much on the other - so was glad to finish the ride. :surrender: I see a visit to Decathlon happening in the near future.

16 miles today, but it'll be a ride I'll only be attempting at a weekend in future I think...

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Thanks, fortunately it happened right at the top so only had a small moment of brakeypanic. I think I had the full P Fairy Mafia out for me.

Thanks for the tips, really will need to go check it out. It sounds horrible. I loved the route till my moment, for me very challenging at the moment, but such beautiful views it didn't really matter.

I know all hills are different but how does Gorsey Brow compare to that Joel Lane climb I did complete en route?

There you go @themosquitoking. 10% "decent stretch" "spin it up". :biggrin:

It's all relative! A fit rider doing it near home might be a different kind of challenge to two unfit riders (one of which who doesn't like hills and sub 20 degree temps) doing it 50 odd miles into a saddleworth, holmfirth, Holme moss, glossop, stalybridge ride, albeit with the promise of free beer at the end! :P

I actually have no idea of the hill, I never made it there but the Rapha gentleman who knows the Polocini organiser certainly built it up as a challenge!

It's definitely challenging, particularly with plenty of miles in the legs. But follow my tips....don't turn right onto it immediately, go a bit further up into Broadbottom then turn around and get a run at the first steep bit. Then on the middle section where the gradient becomes manageable try to hold a bit in reserve as the final 100m or so is really steep.

There are much harder hills in the Peak District such as Winnats, Pyms Chair, Combs Lane. I'd say Holme Moss is harder too, particularly with a headwind, as it's much longer

Highly suspicious. Do you have a TUE for the Haribo?

Nope, I've got that for the peanut butter M&Ms LOLOLOL :laugh:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Rich B and I met in the Green. Mrs 26 drove over to Upton and was waiting with Julian H and Pete M. Broadway was the plan so down through the school and on over to Tewkesbury we rode. It was a bit grey and that north wind was chill. The road towards Bredon was a bit busy so we peeled off for Kinsham. That left us less of the ramp to Conderton to climb. At Wormington we went by Aston Somerville where brain nav temporarily glitched. It didn't take long for the error to be reported and corrective action to be taken. Not long after the cafe in Broadway hove into view.

Our return route tended to catch a noticeable bit of that wind. Mrs 26 was powering away at the front with Pete M being the gentleman on her wheel. We three watched from a short distance. Jules was thinking of the stiff ramp before Elmley Castle. Today it didn't seem so tough. Around by the Combertons we seemed to have an easy section but turning north from Eckington reminded us of that wind. Jules peeled off for home at Defford while Pete and Mrs 26 headed for parked cars at Upton. Rich and I took the standard route back with hindrance from that wind. That was the longest ride Rich has done for quite some time. No trouble for him either. He has an Audax soon so he's in good shape for another 100+ km ride. 65 smiles.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Seems to be wind all the time of late, and I always seem to be riding in to it. Stuck on the commute again, and a nice ride in last night in shorts, bit chilly on the way home in the early hours so glad I took a jacket. Had to go up the high street twice today, once for food, and again later to collect a new tap which will define what I do on Friday:rolleyes:
Back to the commute tomorrow.

Buck

Guru
It's been a while but now the intensity of year end at work had peaked I was determined to get out on the bike. A lovely evening and an earlier than usual finish from work helped! I normally pick up the Buck offspring from Karate on a Tuesday but a negotiation with Mrs Buck meant I was to take them and she would bring them back #result.

Up Marsh Lane out of the village and at the Sovereign, straight up the hill and staying on the A629 through Birsdedge and High Flatts then onto Ingbirchworth and then up to Hoylandswaine Roundabout. The legs felt heavy and I knew I wasn't making any real pace but the tailwind was helping - that is until I came back on myself at the roundabout then straight into a headwind :sad: The beautiful sky and setting sun motivated me forward though and I carried on before taking a left up the side of the reservoir and then more headwind punishment up Horn Lane before a right turn up Broadstone Lane brought some welcome relief.

fullsizeoutput_374.jpeg

By now my unfit legs were feeling it a little as I told myself off for not making time to get on the bike (easier said than done!) As I crested the brow of the hill the last of the sun said goodbye then a final push around the back of the quarry and then down the hill to home with tired legs but a smile on my face - I love these lighter evenings!!

Screen Shot 2017-04-04 at 20.37.56.png

15.4 mile and 1,010 ft of climbing.

Top Bottom