Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Okay, the actual ride today was a quick 10 miler out to Levington and back as a shake-down ride for Patsy #2 The CX whose main-ring, chain and cassette I replaced yesterday, but the exciting one was in my head at home. For a couple of years I've wondered about the practicality of riding around the boundaries of Suffolk and - provisionally at least - it looks like it's a target I could achieve this summer. (So far it's seven stages with railway stations at either end of the ones furthest from home).
I promise to keep you all posted if it happens. :okay:

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
IMG_20170331_145556_627.jpg
With a day off and the kids at school my wife and I set off for for Hillesley on a route I'd really enjoyed a couple of weeks ago. She was worried about being slower than me but I just enjoyed having her along and riding together, showing her the beautiful roads I'd found. She's not done a longer ride for many months and some of the hills were long and steep, but she kept going and I'm very proud of her.

We came back via a pub lunch in Chipping Sodbury, then home past a few lovely lanes behind Yate Rocks and Engine Common. The sign in Hillesley amused me.

https://www.strava.com/activities/921980186

https://www.strava.com/activities/921980162

Out & about, but with not a lot of time

Up along Normanton by-pass, heading past the new Police Station at Havertop, with a tailwind, so a decent run
Under the M62, at Cutsyke, towards the ASDA, at Glasshoughton (very busy stretch, as usual)
Passing the 'Pissoir' (yes, there's a French street urinal, in Castleford - most drunks just use shop doorways though!)
Up Holywell Lane, towards the top of Airedale

Across into FerryBridge, passing under the 'new' A1, & FerryBridge Power Station
Had a pootle around FerryBridge, taking a few pictures, looking for old remnants of the 'Great North Road', in case I'd missed any on previous visiits

Took a few pictures, of the old (1805) bridge

DSCF2950.JPG

Thought I'd taken one of the toll-house too, but no, so this is from a previous visit
It's on the western bank of the Aire, the white car would be almost on the bridge (extreme left frame in picture above)
FerryBridge. 2.JPG

Back under the railway, into Station Road, & up Pontefract Road, towards (the) Stump Cross, & Nevison
Pictures taken there https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/your-cycle-in-front-of-a-wall-pics.201903/post-4743883

A ride through Pontefract, looking at the site of the old Priory, at (what in tribute) is known as MonkHill
DSCF2965.JPG

Back past the old Barracks, & Crematorium, into Featherstone
A brief diversion to the memorial gardens by the level-crossing

Home via 'LINPAC lights' & Old Snydale, calling at Snydale Hall

Not far, but a lot of history

Last edited:

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
I was going to post the whole ride, but just haven't got round to it, still here's Monday's ride.

1.jpg

I was planning to take the hill by storm, but this is what happened:

First of all a car came down the hill, then I heard this rather large lorry behind me. So I didn't quite make it to my best ever point. The lorry driver was quite profuse in his gratitude though.

12 miles max 20.0 avg 7.5 mph. Year to date, 50.6miles, Target 500 miles

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
After my reasonably epic swim last week, I returned to the pool with hopes of 80 lengths tonight. I barely managed 15! The useless tools hadn't put any lanes out so it was a free for all to try and find any space. I left in a proper rage and decided to burn the anger off on a late night ride instead.

A shortened route meant I didn't get back after the wife had gone to bed. Still managed 18 miles. I think the wild life felt my mood; I didn't see anything larger than a moth!

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Yesterday I decided to take the GT Grade 105 carbon out and thrash it mercilessly over the back roads and tracks that skirt the Saddleworth moors. I started out riding along the main roads out to Diggle. Here I turned off the easy roads that trace the valley floor and climbed up to the flanks of the barren moorland to follow the twisty lanes, many of which mark the change from organised fields to wild hilltop.
From Diggle the route around to Tunstead, just below the Dovestones reservoir, was a mixed bag of narrow surfaced lanes with some parts of stoney farm track type roads that in the past would have been reserved for MTB rides. A quick return to the valley floor in Greenfield before climbing again to brush along the heather line that marks the edge of the Pennines proper. Here, even the road name tells you where you are, just in case you have any doubts, but Moor Edge Road is not a road like any normal highway and you would be foolish to try and drive it in anything but a serious 4x4!
The Grade took it all in its stride and made light work of the jutting rock steps in a most pleasing manner. The bike does indeed appear to be as tough as the GT marketing would have me believe.
After dropping back to the valley floor again at Carrbrook beside the old Herod power station I had one last off-road foray to include before heading home. I turned off Wakefield Road at the border of Stalybridge and climbed the narrow path up the back of the old quarry at Ridgehill, a fast bit of single track I would normally whizz down on the mountain bike but again no problem for the Grade despite being on almost smooth Vittoria Randonuer tyres.
It was a very enjoyable 18 miles and the weather was great, almost too hot! I had to strip off my light jacket and tie it around my waist because by the time I reached Diggle I was overheating (a nice problem to have for a change).
Looking forward to the next rough all-road trip now......

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
First ride without my overshoes so 39 chilly feet miles .

Across country to Kelmarsh via Moulton , Holcot ,Scaldwell ,Draughton and Maidwell then back via Harrington ,Rothwell ,Cransley,Orlinbury .

Nice route with loads of new to me roads and a few more hills . Bike went well .

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
First ride without my overshoes so 39 chilly feet miles .

Across country to Kelmarsh via Moulton , Holcot ,Scaldwell ,Draughton and Maidwell then back via Harrington ,Rothwell ,Cransley,Orlinbury .

Nice route with loads of new to me roads and a few more hills . Bike went well .
It's the Quattro starting from Cogenhoe tomorrow morning, so watch out for the crowds if you're out early!

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
https://www.relive.cc/view/923014461

I fitted the new 53t 105 crankset to the Triban today and went for a quick test ride up to Winchester and back.

View attachment 345075

View attachment 345076
Is the silver one the new one or the take-off? Have to say that I prefer the aesthetics of the silver one with the exposed chainring bolts, much more stylish compared to the 'plastic' moulded finish of the rather clumsy looking item shown bolted to the bike.
EDIT: Never mind, I googled the bike to find out. The Tiagra chainset makes me xx( but otherwise that is a lot of bike for the money.

Last edited:

Mrs M

Guru
IMG_0169.JPG
IMG_0046.JPG
IMG_0047.JPG
IMG_0053.JPG
IMG_0054.JPG
IMG_0055.JPG
Very Spring like morning up here today :sun: so out for a lovely ride and home just as the forecast rain began :rain:
Took the Pashley for a very enjoyable toddle about, listening to some favourites on my iPod :ohmy: (naughty).
Only crank the sound up if I'm off road though.
Lots of folks out and about, wee family on bikes, a few roadies :hello: dog walkers and runners.
Sky was looking a bit dark where I was heading so cut things short and headed homeward to rescue my washing. Short cut along the golf course, no sign of my wee equine pals :sad: then spied them further down their field :thumbsup:
The dun coloured little lady was keen to say hello (as always). She looks just like the horse I learned to ride on and has a similar nature :wub: She seemed keen to pose for pics.
Called over her big friend, he's a bit shy but came over for a nose rub, little lady was having none of this, she came stomping over to grab all the attention :laugh:
Said toddle oo to me wee pals and carried on past the golf course, no sign of Mr m :ph34r: though. The path is a lot smoother than before and zoomed down towards the road :bicycle: though about a wheelie or two to impress the golfers but decided against it in case I went flying :blush:
Enjoyed the ride and the washing's dry!

Top Bottom