Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
What a difference a week makes... This was last week's weather
View attachment 344361

Today however is wall to wall sunshine so I decided to bring out the gears, I've been riding single speed since October so it was good to be able go up the climbs without having to heave on the pedals

It gave me a chance to try out the new HUNT 4Season Gravel Disc wheelset I bought last October along with the new Challenge Strada Bianca tyres. I pumped the rear up to 70psi and the front to 60psi but I'll have to lower the pressure a bit was they felt too hard out on the road

View attachment 344362

A few pictures of the ride today, some front camera and some rear camera. 27 miles and 2,000 feet of elevation
View attachment 344366

View attachment 344367

View attachment 344368

View attachment 344369

Nice looking bike, what is it?

RedRider

Pulling through
And the new Challenge tyres look really good

Reactions: GGJ

Spartak

Powered by M&M's
First 100km ride in over 5 months today.

Headed north via the A38 before turning off to Frampton on Severn where I was held up due to the canal bridge barriers being in operation.

Then onto Epney & Quedgeley before turning south and into an annoying headwind. I then decided to tackle two of the toughest climbs in the area - Frocester & Stouts Hill.

Onto Wotton under Edge for lunch and then back to Bristol.

IMG_2986.JPG
IMG_2987.JPG
IMG_2988.JPG
IMG_2992.JPG
IMG_2994.jpg
IMG_2995.PNG

Old jon

Guru
An easy morning to make minor decisions, like where to go and how to get there. Which made everything easy except the pedalling. And I guess that is to be expected. It’s the Quella’s turn for a bit of wearing out, so I put the fixed wheel hat firmly on my head, and off I went.

It is hardly usual any more, but the wander around Holbeck still has its uses, today it took me to the Dark Arches and out blinking in the sun, to Neville Street. The breeze was back in the prevailing quarter, so gave me a very welcome push in the back once I had turned right onto Regent Street after negotiating the maze of half awake car users across the river and past the bus station. Up to Oakwood Clock, thank you breeze, in another mile could you blow harder, please? Nope. Boot Hill gave the lungs a real workout this morning, it was good to reach the top. For a change, it has been a while since I rode it in this direction, I rode through Scarcroft, Bardsey and Collingham all the way to the Wetherby roundabout, where I turned right to head towards Boston Spa. I rode on the cycle track, not something I usually do, and what a bag of something foul smelling that one is. Needlessly narrow, you would need a degree in bloody difficult to make the entrances to it at the Wetherby end more awkward and the drop off at the A 1M slip road, well. You need to check over your shoulder, yes, fair enough, and then look forward again and the dropped kerb is thirty or more degrees further round the curve than you would expect. I just stopped. Another shoulder squint and off you go. With a cricked neck. Ride on to Boston Spa, take the right turn signposted Clifford, the signpost looks to be part of the tree, and keep on.

Bramham is next, I am always reminded that the Thorner road was straight across what is now a T junction. It is another bit of the ride where I must pay attention, on a dull day it is easy to travel back in time in a slightly embarrassing way . . . On to Thorner, the legs are beginning to feel the miles by now, and out up Sandhills. Poor legs. All now becomes easier, Skeltons Lane and Red Hall Lane, back to the A 58 and down Boot Hill, past the clock again and navigate my way back home to add up 31.5 miles for the showery morning, and the well earned satisfaction of a good ride.

Random squiggles on a map . . .

29032017.jpg

TigerT

Veteran
Had the day off today. The weather was excellent so after having my lie in ruined by the builders in the next door apartment block drilling at 7:30am. I cleaned the bike (pointless exercise) and set out not having any clear idea of where I was going. Ended up doing lots of bits of previous rides to form a new route. Started out by riding to Greifensee (a lake near home) and turned off there as I only cycled round that last Sunday. Headed off to Wetzikon, managing to avoid my favourite bike shop (it always ends up expensive so sometimes it's best left alone). From there headed to Pfaffikon where there is a rather nice area to stop for a break by another lake. Stopped there for a while to recharge. After the stop headed out via Illnau to Effretikon and into the woods at Tagelwangen (good territory for my Roubaix) after coming out the other side with a very dusty bike, I didn't fancy heading home, so headed back towards Greifensee ands took almost the same route home that I started out on. Quite a good loop and easily extendable when by fitness gets a bit better. 67kms in total which I'm happy with. Calf Muscles are aching a bit, but no back or knee pain that ruined last years cycling. Rewarded myself with an extremely nice doughnut!

Greifensee
IMG_0003.JPG
Time for a rest
IMG_0010.JPG
Through the woods
fullsizeoutput_1b43.jpeg
Map
fullsizeoutput_1b45.jpeg

Last edited:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
After riding home in a taxing headwind I had a cup of tea with the boss and then went out on my mountain bike.
The wind was still present as I headed west across the fields, past a gaggle of dogs and their servants. I haven't been through here in weeks as it was so wet and with the local clay soil..... but it's starting to dry up nicely, it's a mix of puddles, plasticine and bone hard ruts.
Once in Caldecote I headed north on the road before jumping off on the next bridleway. I saw a pair of jays, they saw me too and scarpered! So did the many rabbits. A lady on a horse stopped to let me by.
I went down the byway behind the houses before coming back up the hill on the road. I rejoined the bridleway, this time down hill, wind assisted. A small slope took my speed away just as the horse and lady returned. It was my turn to stop for her.
A return via the road. 10 muddy miles.

https://www.strava.com/activities/919671588

IMG_2250.JPG

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
With the clocks having changed recently I found myself sleeping in. I got myself out of the door but with not quite enough time to take to the Castlemorton lanes. So I headed out through Welland. Over the common I spotted June P and Ralph R also heading for the meet. The junction was made at Coombe Green with hearty greetings exchanged.

Around by Bromsberrow the nodding stars of Bethlehem were in fine form. The wild daffs are still a wonderful sight by Ryton and Dymock. We took the lesser used lane by Ross Golf Club to Linton for the lovely ride along the ridge. Dropping off we headed for Luxley and the climb over May Hill. Not far now as we limited some main road around Huntley. The lane from there to Birdwood was a super easy but speedy ride with a tail wind assist.

Neither Ralph nor June had been to this cafe. Suitably impressed they were. It's small and friendly and perfectly formed. After much chat we headed North to Tibberton and Highleadon where we took to the fairly well worn route onto the Hams and up through the school. The kids were out playing football on one side and rugby on the other. June headed downhill for Upton and home while Ralph and I zigged and zagged our way homeward.

Despite the weather being a bit dull and even with some small amount of rain we had a lovely ride out into some of the lesser used lanes south of our usual stamping ground. Variety is the spice of life isn't it? 61 smiles

Last edited:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Monday's ride

Mrs 26 and I headed off for the run around Strensham. She called the detour by Hillend and so Castlemorton village. She was going well today so when I stopped for a natural break she continued. I eventually caught up 5 miles later at Bushley Green where she was grinning broadly and munching a banana. We did have a bit of hindrance from that chill north wind as we swung towards Strensham but nothing like we had last week. Mrs 26 began to take shelter on my wheel even so. On the run in I stopped at the nursery to buy some onion sets for the garden. 36 smiles with my better half!

Just the usual 14 mile Downham - Way Head - Coveney - Ely - Downham loop for me today. Was really windy and spitting with rain for much of the day, so after a lot of procrastinating, I finally decided on a ride at half past five in the afternoon.

Once I was out of the door and on the bike I felt a lot better about the whole thing. :smile: This was in spite of riding all the way to Ely in a mix mix of head and cross winds that made me need the granny gears on the flat, :heat: and in spite of the heavens finally decided to open while climbing the hill into Coveney... :rain: The last three miles home were ridden with a pretty hefty tailwind however, which meant I fizzed along at a right old rate of knots. :dance: That really did put a smile on my face.

Points of note on my ride. The muck heap near Red Caps Drove has, thanks to the warmer weather, gotten really rank. xx( I had one close pass from a numpty in a big Audi estate. :angry: Came across two jaywalking pheasants - must be the season for those LOL, and saw some really pretty blue flowers in the verge near Isle Vets. No idea what they were, sadly I'm not really clued up on those things...

Spartak