Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavgav

Guru
I reached the grand old age of 40 yesterday and wanted to mark it with my first 50 mile ride in nigh on 18 months today, before heading back to work tomorrow. I wasn't quite sure how I would be feeling, after a few days of excess food and beer, but woke fairly bright and was on the road just before 10am, in fairly sunny but cold weather. Indeed, I came out of the house in just 2 layers but went back inside to add a third.

Began by heading along the cycle paths to Shelton and out on the road to Montford Bridge. At the Shelton traffic lights they went through 2 full cycles and onto a third, with my set still on red and so I assume they were stuck, therefore when a gap came I went for it. Passed the Wingfield Arms pub, that used to be bright Yellow and has now been painted Pink....looks horrid:thumbsdown:

The downside of the ride so far was the strong and gusty headwind from the West and this continued to make it hard going for the first 20 miles of the ride. I followed the lanes to Shrawardine, Pentre, Edgerley, Kinnerley and Knockin, where I paused for a snack by the cricket club, which has a splendid new pavilion in place, since I last played there.

IMG_0108.JPG

I turned out onto the main road at Knockin, before branching off at Osbaston and then finally turned out of the wind at Woolston. At the crossroads I turned right and after about a mile had a sixth sense I was on the wrong road, to Sandford, so stopped to check the map and yes I should have turned left at the crossroads :dry:. I doubled back and had to pull in on the narrow single track lane to let a large lorry full of sheep squeeze past :eek:

It was nice to have the wind to my side now, as I took the correct road to West Felton and then the wonderfully named village of Grimpo. Next was Rednal and then out onto the lovely flat wide roads where I made quicker progress to Hordley and Tetchill. In Tetchill I came across a woman walking 2 Rottweilers, and she pulled them onto the opposite path. One of them was quite happy with me, but the other (muzzled unlike the happy one) had a demeanour that suggested it wanted to kill me if at all possible :surrender:. The lady had a bit of a job holding him back and I quickened up rather!

By now the sun was almost unbroken and I turned off onto the beautiful lanes towards the various Mere's, with the wind now behind me and helping quite a bit on what is a lumpy section. I paused for lunch, watching 2 Buzzards majestically circling high above me for around 10 minutes, before pressing on to Lee and Colemere. I paused to check the map again here and a chap in a Mini stopped to see if I was ok, which was nice of him :thumbsup:

Whitemere
IMG_0109.JPG

There was a bit more climbing towards English Frankton and I was starting to overheat in the lovely sunshine, so took a layer off before turning towards Loppington. I crossed the main road and headed to Noneley and then Wem, where it was out onto the very busy main road towards Shawbury. Lots of traffic but all really well behaved and this continued across the A49 and all the way to Shawbury which was so refreshing. The wind had started to do odd things here, swirling around the open RAF airfield, in fact it was a tailwind at times, but then a headwind at others!

Crossed the A53 and then turned back into the wind again to Bings Heath, before climbing Ebury Hill and East Haughmond, up to Upton Magna. There were road closed signs (starting yesterday) on the Uffington Road and so I was a bit unsure what I would find, but didn't see any roadworks, so they must be late starting or very early finishing?!

At Uffington there was a speed camera van in place, which I imagine would have caught loads on what is regularly a rat run that people go way too fast on. I turned off onto the old canal path to Pimley and arrived at the junction where I have to decide to either continue on the bumpy gravel section or head up to the roads at Sundorne. I was on 56 miles by now and with my legs feeling tired but not too bad, made the snap decision to go for a Metric Century.

So I headed up through Sundorne and along Whitchurch Rd, then down through Castlefields, along the River towpath and into The Quarry, which was busy with people enjoying the sunshine. It was very slow progress, into the wind, to Porthill and Copthorne, before turning out of it again on the final section to Nobold, Meole Brace and home.

A fantastic ride, which amounted to 63.6 miles in total, my second longest ever and longest solo ride.:biggrin:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I rode home from work in a right old headwind. I waited an hour or so before going out.
I got my mtb down from its rack, the back tyre felt soft, so I gave it some air. I went to roll the bike out and the front tyre had no air! I took the wheel out, then the tube, patched the hole and put a new tube in. Now I thought I'd put tyre levers in my rucksack when I bought it...... this puncture would turn out to be fortunate.
Off I went down past the pub and into the rutted fields. I wasn't going fast, too bumpy, too windy, too knackered from last nights spin and circuits. Down into Caldecote then a left and right up to Kingston. I joined the Wimpole Way.
IMG_2476.JPG

Along more bumpy bridleways, bone hard. That was until I hit a swamp! Not very long, but deep enough to feel my bike sink! I heard a sucking noise as my front wheel went in.
Along the road on the Old Wimpole ridge and through the woods. A mewing buzzard flew up from the hedgerow.
At the end is a choice. I was going to go into the estate as it would be quiet, but first I turned left to see the sunny view down into Cambridge. It's only 100 yards to get beyond the trees to the view. One hundred yards to pick up a thorn longer than a 10 year olds Easter holidays! My back tyre was punctured. I had a spare tube, but that was it. I couldn't afford any more punctures, no more tubes, no patches. I had tyre levers though!
Still, the view was good for the flatlands.
IMG_2479.JPG

IMG_2482.JPG

IMG_2481.JPG

Down the gravel track I shot into Eversden and made my way home via the roads.
IMG_2486.JPG

IMG_2488.JPG

14 miles in total. I'd wanted to do more but there's no point tempting fate!

https://www.strava.com/activities/938021819

Happy birthday @gavgav . @Rickshaw Phil told me that you're 50.....

gavgav

Guru
I rode home from work in a right old headwind. I waited an hour or so before going out.
I got my mtb down from its rack, the back tyre felt soft, so I gave it some air. I went to roll the bike out and the front tyre had no air! I took the wheel out, then the tube, patched the hole and put a new tube in. Now I thought I'd put tyre levers in my rucksack when I bought it...... this puncture would turn out to be fortunate.
Off I went down past the pub and into the rutted fields. I wasn't going fast, too bumpy, too windy, too knackered from last nights spin and circuits. Down into Caldecote then a left and right up to Kingston. I joined the Wimpole Way.
View attachment 346966
Along more bumpy bridleways, bone hard. That was until I hit a swamp! Not very long, but deep enough to feel my bike sink! I heard a sucking noise as my front wheel went in.
Along the road on the Old Wimpole ridge and through the woods. A mewing buzzard flew up from the hedgerow.
At the end is a choice. I was going to go into the estate as it would be quiet, but first I turned left to see the sunny view down into Cambridge. It's only 100 yards to get beyond the trees to the view. One hundred yards to pick up a thorn longer than a 10 year olds Easter holidays! My back tyre was punctured. I had a spare tube, but that was it. I couldn't afford any more punctures, no more tubes, no patches. I had tyre levers though!
Still, the view was good for the flatlands.
View attachment 346968
View attachment 346970
View attachment 346969
Down the gravel track I shot into Eversden and made my way home via the roads.
View attachment 346971
View attachment 346972

14 miles in total. I'd wanted to do more but there's no point tempting fate!

https://www.strava.com/activities/938021819

Happy birthday @gavgav . @Rickshaw Phil told me that you're 50.....
:laugh: Thanks.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I reached the grand old age of 40 yesterday and wanted to mark it with my first 50 mile ride in nigh on 18 months today, before heading back to work tomorrow. I wasn't quite sure how I would be feeling, after a few days of excess food and beer, but woke fairly bright and was on the road just before 10am, in fairly sunny but cold weather. Indeed, I came out of the house in just 2 layers but went back inside to add a third.

Began by heading along the cycle paths to Shelton and out on the road to Montford Bridge. At the Shelton traffic lights they went through 2 full cycles and onto a third, with my set still on red and so I assume they were stuck, therefore when a gap came I went for it. Passed the Wingfield Arms pub, that used to be bright Yellow and has now been painted Pink....looks horrid:thumbsdown:

The downside of the ride so far was the strong and gusty headwind from the West and this continued to make it hard going for the first 20 miles of the ride. I followed the lanes to Shrawardine, Pentre, Edgerley, Kinnerley and Knockin, where I paused for a snack by the cricket club, which has a splendid new pavilion in place, since I last played there.

View attachment 346957

I turned out onto the main road at Knockin, before branching off at Osbaston and then finally turned out of the wind at Woolston. At the crossroads I turned right and after about a mile had a sixth sense I was on the wrong road, to Sandford, so stopped to check the map and yes I should have turned left at the crossroads :dry:. I doubled back and had to pull in on the narrow single track lane to let a large lorry full of sheep squeeze past :eek:

It was nice to have the wind to my side now, as I took the correct road to West Felton and then the wonderfully named village of Grimpo. Next was Rednal and then out onto the lovely flat wide roads where I made quicker progress to Hordley and Tetchill. In Tetchill I came across a woman walking 2 Rottweilers, and she pulled them onto the opposite path. One of them was quite happy with me, but the other (muzzled unlike the happy one) had a demeanour that suggested it wanted to kill me if at all possible :surrender:. The lady had a bit of a job holding him back and I quickened up rather!

By now the sun was almost unbroken and I turned off onto the beautiful lanes towards the various Mere's, with the wind now behind me and helping quite a bit on what is a lumpy section. I paused for lunch, watching 2 Buzzards majestically circling high above me for around 10 minutes, before pressing on to Lee and Colemere. I paused to check the map again here and a chap in a Mini stopped to see if I was ok, which was nice of him :thumbsup:

Whitemere
View attachment 346965

There was a bit more climbing towards English Frankton and I was starting to overheat in the lovely sunshine, so took a layer off before turning towards Loppington. I crossed the main road and headed to Noneley and then Wem, where it was out onto the very busy main road towards Shawbury. Lots of traffic but all really well behaved and this continued across the A49 and all the way to Shawbury which was so refreshing. The wind had started to do odd things here, swirling around the open RAF airfield, in fact it was a tailwind at times, but then a headwind at others!

Crossed the A53 and then turned back into the wind again to Bings Heath, before climbing Ebury Hill and East Haughmond, up to Upton Magna. There were road closed signs (starting yesterday) on the Uffington Road and so I was a bit unsure what I would find, but didn't see any roadworks, so they must be late starting or very early finishing?!

At Uffington there was a speed camera van in place, which I imagine would have caught loads on what is regularly a rat run that people go way too fast on. I turned off onto the old canal path to Pimley and arrived at the junction where I have to decide to either continue on the bumpy gravel section or head up to the roads at Sundorne. I was on 56 miles by now and with my legs feeling tired but not too bad, made the snap decision to go for a Metric Century.

So I headed up through Sundorne and along Whitchurch Rd, then down through Castlefields, along the River towpath and into The Quarry, which was busy with people enjoying the sunshine. It was very slow progress, into the wind, to Porthill and Copthorne, before turning out of it again on the final section to Nobold, Meole Brace and home.

A fantastic ride, which amounted to 63.6 miles in total, my second longest ever and longest solo ride.:biggrin:
Well done:bravo: So the beer and whisky didn't slow you down after all.:whistle:

https://www.relive.cc/view/937846648

100 miler up to Basingrad today.
IMG_4140.JPG

Picture postcard stuff.

IMG_4141.JPG

The weather wasn't quite so nice today, but still not bad for April.

IMG_4145.JPG

A rare sight today, no traffic.

IMG_4146.JPG

Beer o'clock.

A smidge over 100 miles, far too many trucks using unsuitable lanes today, but that was because of all the roadworks and accidents.

Attachments

• IMG_4143.JPG
    IMG_4143.JPG
    223.2 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_4148.JPG
    IMG_4148.JPG
    178 KB · Views: 46

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
Once again a bit late, since it was Monday's ride.
The day didn't start well, I really could not get myself together and kept feeling I'd forgotten something. Well I did, I got as far as the canal and decided I needed my jacket, which was in my pack, which I'd left in the garage. So an extra trip back and fiddling about!

I'll admit I did need the jacket, there was a nasty cold wind, despite the sunshine and I kept it on all the time. I'd also raised the pressure in my tyres, which was a mistake, the path felt really bumpy. There was another effect of that wind, it was in my face to the northernmost point of my ride. I'd wondered why I didn't feel as if I was doing well. However, I did get some of my highest speeds on the return trip on the roads, so it isn't true that the wind is always in your face. Garmin, however seems to have stopped recording my segments again.

It wasn't surprising that there were fewer people out than the previous week, it was rather cold. I saw a few runners and some very kind and helpful dog walkers.

1.png

2.png

3.png

But there did seem to be quite a few youngsters out on their bikes, all just north of Berkhamsted.

This narrow boat seemed set up for more than the normal, tranquil waters of the Grand Union, indeed it looks less designed for pleasure than for getting there come what may.

4.png

And I spotted an old friend, about to depart.

5.JPG

6.png

15.9 miles max 20.0 avg 8.0 mph. Year to date, 81.2miles, Target 500 miles

Last edited:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I'm still tired from travels and that bug. Nevertheless I couldn't turn down the chance for a ride with Margaret PR and Pete M. We met in Upton and took the run out through the school for Tewkesbury and on through the lanes by Fiddington. Things were fine as the wind was assisting mostly. Over the open ground from Tredington was fine but I found the lumpy bits by Gretton a bit more of a challenge than usual. We paused on the bridge to check out the Steam Railway station at Winchcombe before tackling the ramp to the cafe at Hailes Abbey.

Pete talked cars (not my favourite subject) so watching feeding Dunnock and Great Tit were lovely distractions. We dropped away to spot a Steam Locomotive heading our way so we paused on the bridge to watch it haul its carriages onward. We began the tough ride westward into a strong head wind. There was some respite rounding the flanks of Bredon Hill. Then we took the zig zag route by Eckington which should provide some shelter. Pete was attempting to provide some shelter on the front but gaps kept appearing. By the time we crossed the Severn at Upton we'd all had enough. Pete and Margaret headed home while I took on the wind again on the standard run back. Despite having kept it easy today I was well and truly done by the time I rolled up my driveway. 70 smiles on this one

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Happy belated birthday @gavgav :birthday:

We did a ride with the girls on Saturday, but I forgot to post it: no matter because I had to redo the ride today, I had forgotten something at the coffe stop, so I went to retrieve it.
It has been a deceiving sunny day, in fact it was quite cold with a strong wind that followed me for the whole route.
I was heading towards the town of Paisley, following one of my favorite routes, along country parks, quiet lanes and following the river Cart, a tributary of the ever present in Strathclyde, river Clyde.
The duck pond at Richmond park. It's only a small park, London has a Richmond park too, I've never been but it's probably four times the size of ours.
IMG_20170412_114107960 (640x347).jpg
Through Pollock Park
IMG_20170412_122928289 (640x360).jpg the river Cart in the background.
Pollock house, a stately home that now hosts a very busy cafe in what used to be the stables. I took the picture on the way back, it's just round the corner from the previous view of the woods, because it had started raining.
IMG_20170412_144944890_HDR (640x348).jpg
The distance from Glasgow to Paisley is only 10 miles whichever way, road or scenic route you choose.
Today, due to the unabating wind, it was quite hard work, I was needing a lie down when I got home!
Anyway, I got there, got back what I'd forgotten last time:
IMG_20170412_132409069 (640x489).jpg my wee cat purse :wub:
After a double espresso I toyed with the idea of taking the direct road back, but a peak round the corner confirmed it was busy as usual with motorized traffic, so I took to the lanes again.
A few pictures, some are from Saturday ^_^
IMG_20170412_125325461 (640x360).jpg following the river Cart
IMG_20170412_141518214 (640x360).jpg a diversion up a short hill to Crookston Castle, great views had it been a nicer day.
Belles having fun on the same ride last Saturday, the weather was much nicer! IMG_20170408_125932903_HDR.jpg
A gratuitous shot of my work place, that marks the point where the three major Glasgow cycle routes diverge
secc.jpg Ominous clouds above.
Only 30 miles, but now I have a sore, weather beaten face!

13 rider

Guru
First day of Easter break so ride planned . Had arranged to meet Andy at 10 for an hours ride so planned to do a few miles before and after for a 50km ride. All set for the off at 0915 push the roadie out the shed and the tyres flat :sad:. So push the roadie back in and grab the hybrid I will fix the puncture later discard the pannier and lights and I'm off out the door . Quick detour to the post office and I'm off to meeting point .Anstey ,Cropston ,Rothley ,Quorn ,Mountsorrel . Andy sitting waiting for me and surprised to see me on the hybrid . But are speeds match better when I'm on the hybrid. Did are local loop in reverse to try and avoid the worst of the wind . Back to Rothley ,Swithland ,Quorn ,Mountsorrel and Sileby where Andy turned for home leaving me to get home into the headwind . Cossington ,Rothley ,Cropston and home 32.8 miles in the bag . Punctured fixed :pump:on return small piece of metal but noticed the tyre has quite a few small cuts in it . A year old and around 8000 miles might be time for a replacement
Just put the pannier back on the hybrid and realised I just done 50km without any spare tubes tools as they were in the pannier :blush: good job I didn't get another fairy visit but I did have a pump :pump:

Last edited:
Top Bottom