Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Day 2, part 2......
Still at Wigan Pier and as far as I could work out this is it, the small protrusions of curved rail track, otherwise known as 'The Tippler'.
upload_2017-4-18_11-34-8.png
upload_2017-4-18_11-35-53.png

Very impressive!

Leaving Wigan the towpath deteriorated and became just grass and packed dirt. Luckily it had been dry recently but I can imagine it becoming a bit of a puddle and mud fest during prolonged spells of bad weather. It was also getting past dinner time and I had already resisted requests to go into Wigan for lunch and promised to stop at the next canalside pub we encountered. Our unplanned dinner venue was The Crooke Hall Inn in Crooke Village.
upload_2017-4-18_11-48-14.png

This was one of those pubs you probably wouldn't choose to eat in given initial appearances but we dropped lucky and the food was perfectly acceptable basic pub grub, the beer was welcome (I have to admit I had a second pint :blush:) and the staff gladly provided a set of darts so me and the youngest lad could enjoy a game of 'round the clock' to while away some time. He very nearly beat me too!
Leaving Crooke behind we followed the canal for another 4-5 miles through some very rural countryside. The canal meanders alongside the previously navigable river Douglas that the canal replaced in 1790. On reaching the outskirts of Parbold we left the canal for the final leg of the ride and this is where it got interesting.
upload_2017-4-18_12-3-28.png

The route height profile and been almost as flat as a........ canal upto this point but that was about to change. We had to climb over 500ft from the valley floor to the summit near Beacon Country Park. It wasn't much of a problem for me or my oldest son but the poor 11yr old was complaining of being tired before we even started. Regardless, he dug deep and slowly pedalled his way to the top without tears, tantrums or getting off to push (although he did stop to nip into the bushes for a pee! :rolleyes:)
upload_2017-4-18_12-10-53.png
upload_2017-4-18_12-12-52.png

Once at the top we stopped to grab a packet of crisps from the pub at the summit before enjoying the rewards of our effort as we descended to an anonymous industrial estate just outside Skelmersdale, arriving outside the offices of my wife's employer a mere 15 minutes before her finishing time :angel:

Over the two days we travelled a little shy of 60 miles but, for a first attempt at cycle touring we had proved it could be done and despite the cooler weather at this time of year we had largely avoided any real rainfall and kept spirits high. Looking forward to the next adventure now ^_^

Katherine

Guru
Yep, 1st time on that bridge. I was expecting a little stone humpback bridge, not the towering Victorian edifice we encountered.
View attachment 348058

A little stone humpback bridge to get over the ship canal!!

Great report of your mini tour and kudos to the youngsters.

gavgav

Guru
An extra day off w**k for me, to recover from a day at the Horse Racing with @Rickshaw Phil yesterday, and with the beer spread out through the day I didn't actually feel too bad today, so nipped out for a short ride this afternoon.

Lovely sunshine, but very deceptive, as it was :cold: cold, needing 3 layers to keep even slightly warm.

Went through the estate and up the cycle paths to Heathgates, then along the old canal path, which is finally starting to dry out, but very bumpy and shakes your fillings around a bit.

Out onto the road at Uffington and then up to Upton Magna, where on the main downhill section I rounded a corner to be confronted by 3 pheasants in a panic and running in every direction bar the one they should be (into the hedge and out of my way ^_^) so had to break a bit sharpish! I encountered 10 of the blighters by the end of the ride, which is plenty thanks!

Climbed up East Haughmond and then turned down the mile straight to Somerwood and Rodington Heath, out of the Northerly breeze for the first time, which was nicer. Turned down the lanes that lead back towards Upton Magna and with the wind now behind me I set a good pace (for me!) and indeed set my fastest time on the Pelham 123 segment on strava.

Turned out onto the rat run to Atcham, then over Atcham Bridge and up the lanes to Chilcott, Betton Abbots and home, with 20.3 miles on the clock and average speed over 12 mph for the first time in a while.

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
Day 2, part 2......
Still at Wigan Pier and as far as I could work out this is it, the small protrusions of curved rail track, otherwise known as 'The Tippler'.
View attachment 348071 View attachment 348072

Very impressive!

Leaving Wigan the towpath deteriorated and became just grass and packed dirt. Luckily it had been dry recently but I can imagine it becoming a bit of a puddle and mud fest during prolonged spells of bad weather. It was also getting past dinner time and I had already resisted requests to go into Wigan for lunch and promised to stop at the next canalside pub we encountered. Our unplanned dinner venue was The Crooke Hall Inn in Crooke Village.
View attachment 348074

This was one of those pubs you probably wouldn't choose to eat in given initial appearances but we dropped lucky and the food was perfectly acceptable basic pub grub, the beer was welcome (I have to admit I had a second pint :blush:) and the staff gladly provided a set of darts so me and the youngest lad could enjoy a game of 'round the clock' to while away some time. He very nearly beat me too!
Leaving Crooke behind we followed the canal for another 4-5 miles through some very rural countryside. The canal meanders alongside the previously navigable river Douglas that the canal replaced in 1790. On reaching the outskirts of Parbold we left the canal for the final leg of the ride and this is where it got interesting.
View attachment 348079
The route height profile and been almost as flat as a........ canal upto this point but that was about to change. We had to climb over 500ft from the valley floor to the summit near Beacon Country Park. It wasn't much of a problem for me or my oldest son but the poor 11yr old was complaining of being tired before we even started. Regardless, he dug deep and slowly pedalled his way to the top without tears, tantrums or getting off to push (although he did stop to nip into the bushes for a pee! :rolleyes:)
View attachment 348081 View attachment 348083

Once at the top we stopped to grab a packet of crisps from the pub at the summit before enjoying the rewards of our effort as we descended to an anonymous industrial estate just outside Skelmersdale, arriving outside the offices of my wife's employer a mere 15 minutes before her finishing time :angel:

Over the two days we travelled a little shy of 60 miles but, for a first attempt at cycle touring we had proved it could be done and despite the cooler weather at this time of year we had largely avoided any real rainfall and kept spirits high. Looking forward to the next adventure now ^_^

From that map, it looks like you went up to Beacon Country Park from Newburgh into Dalton via Higher Lane, which is quite a challenging hill, especially for someone from the flatlands like me. The views from the top are rather good. Lovely countryside around there.

Dark46

Veteran
Today I had a great ride with @Donger around a load of lanes by where we live by the Severn. Most of which have I've not been down before. So I called the ride Explore with Donger.

A extremely great way to waste a lovely warm afternoon after finishing work early.

I covered 33.2 miles at a leisurely pace.

https://www.relive.cc/view/947687810

Attachments

• DSC_0229.JPG
    DSC_0229.JPG
    193.9 KB · Views: 58
  • DSC_0227.JPG
    DSC_0227.JPG
    195 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_20170418_150344_946.jpg
    IMG_20170418_150344_946.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_20170418_153149_143.jpg
    IMG_20170418_153149_143.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Today I had a great ride with @Donger around a load of lanes by where we live by the Severn. Most of which have I've not been down before. So I called the ride Explore with Donger.

https://www.relive.cc/view/947687810
That "Relive" file looks as mad as we thought it might. Hardly a lane that we didn't cover. A pleasant bimble to keep the legs turning, and good to see @Dark46 back out on the bike and fit enough to burn me off a couple of times. I thought it would bring up my 1,000 miles for the year, but I miscalculated. That will come 14 miles into my ride on Saturday, when I head off to Wales to tackle a big mountain with @Banjo .
Cheers, Donger.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Just a quick 6 miler here after work out on the fen.

IMG_1953.JPG

Another one of my quiet routes. The grass not quite long enough yet to get stuck in the jockey wheels.

The early swallows have started drifting through overhead in good numbers here, I even saw a couple of them at it on a roof near me earlier - they don't hang about. I certainly admire their stamina after that journey!

Maverick Goose

A jumped up pantry boy, who never knew his place
I seem to be spending too much time riding my bike to post on CC...such is life:laugh:;)! Anyway I took full advantage of the current sunny spell today to head out this afternoon towards Kirkstone via Outgates, The Drunken Duck (no pint there this time:angel:), Skelwith Fold, Bog Lane (no floods to negotiate this time:dance:) and down the B road into Ambleside, where the real fun began. I turned up the hill next to The Golden Rule and got stuck into 3 miles of pretty much constant uphill weighing in at an average 20%, though I'm sure some are nearer 25%....in the Cyclechatter's code there's no surrender:sweat::training:.They don't call it The Struggle for nothing...I really felt I'd earned my pint of Kirkstone Black in the Kirkstone Pass Inn as I enjoyed the views over the south Lakes. Then it was time to feel the need...the need for speed as I enjoyed a fast downhill run towards Troutbeck, stopping for a couple of swift halves at The Mortal Man before carrying on down Holbeck Lane(be warned and joining the A591. Luckily I turned off it at Waterhead and headed for Rydal via Under Loughrigg...onto the A591 again but mercifully briefly, thanks to that handy little lane just on the right after White Moss carpark. Another pause at Tweedies Bar to enjoy a couple of fine ales and catch up with old colleagues. The Sublime Chaos stout helped give me a bit of energy to despatch my old favourite Red Bank:cheers:and I enjoyed some fine views towards the Langdale Pikes from the track round Loughrigg Tarn. I much prefer this to the road , as you get much better views and fewer Rambo wagons. If you're lucky enough to get a clear still day, then you can see a magnificent reflection of the Pikes in the Tarn.
After a short stretch through Great Langdale, I turned off down the Hawkshead road, left towards Wray Castle and left again onto the Windermere lakeside path-always a favourite of mine, especially in the evening when the sun lights up all the fells on the other side. I saw hardly anyone until I got to the road leading back to Far Sawrey. The hill just after the ferry is only 16% so pretty much pancake flat really;)...another cracking day out to follow yesterday's ride to Grizedale, Satterthwaite and Force Mills !

Decidedly colder start
As it was colder than Mon, and I was nearly cold then, wore the windblocker top, thoughwas warm by the end

Went down through Esher and towards Oxshott, though cut off through Sandy Lane eventually arriving at Cobham.
Then made for Weybridge, and over Chertsey bridge, but instead of heading home, looped the reservoir and through Ashford

30.1 mile @ 16.5 mph, with 877 feet climbed
Please think form gradually coming back (need to be able to do that over 50 mi eventually~)

There was a bit of a wind in some directions,and did not think I pushed it that hard, though my HR readings suggest I was pushing it.

https://www.strava.com/activities/948730936

Last edited:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Platelet donation day today, not supposed to do anything really sporty or dangerous, but sod it it was a really nice day so I cycled the 19.25 miles to the JR via Abingdon, Radley, Kennington and then to Oxford JR Blood Donor Centre. Did my donation, ate a sandwich, drank their tea and ate their biscuits and cycled back a slightly different route mainly to following cycle route 5 which is pretty in places but mostly blumen' awful surface on the paths and byways, it's a wonder anyone ever uses this route, the best bit is round the back of Didcot power station, it's lovely for about a mile an a half but the rest, especially through Abingdon park is feckin awful.

Still a lovely sunny dry day , a little cool when in the shade but a thoroughly lovely ride.

IMG_5076.JPG

Outside the donor centre.

IMG_5084.JPG

The Thames from Donnington Bridge
IMG_5086.JPG

Under Donnington Bridge

IMG_5087.JPG

A scruffy wall.

IMG_5090.JPG

IMG_5091.JPG

Foot bridge at Iffley lock.

IMG_5093.JPG

That boat is fecked.

IMG_5095.JPG

A reflection of Abingdon town hall in the window of Fat Face. an attempt at being artistic.

IMG_5097.JPG

The mostly lovely path behind Didcot power station.

JR.jpg

my longest of the year so far at just over 40 miles with a little loop round the village to round it up.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
A couple of good commutes: Yesterday I used the Raleigh and not being ready quite early enough to do the extended route I took it the Lyth Hill way instead. It was quite chilly and I chose to fetch the winter thermals out again :blink: however the wind was light and it was an enjoyable ride with a detour through Attingham Park.

Although the ride was good it didn't feel as easy as it should have been given the conditions and my left knee was aching by the time I got to work so I did a small adjustment similar to the one done recently on the knockbout bike.

The return ride was more enjoyable with the bike seeming to fly along at better speeds for the same effort (even though it was against what little wind there was) and it was easier up the hills. No aches and the 10 miles to home were despatched in about 40 minutes bringing up my average for the day to 14.9 mph - best of the year at this point.^_^

Today I brought the Galaxy out again. The thermals were put on then taken off again as it was much more pleasant this morning and being up earlier I did manage the extended ride this time. Heading out through Condover, Pitchford and Acton Burnell against a light wind this bike is easy to scoot along at a comfortably fast pace and I thoroughly enjoyed myself as far as Shore Lane which is unfortunately still closed, so climbed up to Harnage Grange on the diversion route once again.

The rest of the ride was fairly easy going (minding the two "old dears" again) and the traffic is still fairly light with the schools off which is good.

For the return trip I headed the same way home as last night at another good fast pace. There was a queue at Atcham which needed to be filtered past (feels smug :laugh:) then on the lanes I came up behind a chap in a Mitsubishi driving very slowly and very erratically. I didn't want to overtake as I didn't trust the way he was driving so lost time following him at 8mph for a little while. Eventually he did find the go pedal and slowly pulled away into the distance.:huh:

The rest of the trip went well and I found the A49 surprisingly quiet for once.

29.65 miles today at 15.3 mph average which is my first 15+mph commute this year.:dance:

DSC0004424.jpg

DSC0004425.jpg

A couple of snaps from this morning showing the commuting conditions I have to endure.:whistle:

Last edited:
Top Bottom