Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Another lovely evening, another lovely commute to work. Got stuck at every single red light, including 2 lots of roadworks which was a little frustrating. Traffic was bad tonight, so a thumbs up to the lady in a Corsa who sat nicely behind me at the start of the reservoir run as there was traffic queuing the other side of the road so a pass would have been too close for my liking. Got a wave in return so a little good karma:smile:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
As well as my ride to work today we have been out on the tandem. We went to the pub. The pub tonight was The White Swan in Connington. We've not been before. The bar is waist height and the beer is gravity fed from kegs like you get at a beer festival. We had some Woodfordes Nelson. Top notch it was too.

Before we reached the pub we spied a herd of Gloucester cattle. Here is Mr with one of his ladies
IMG_2918.JPG

The pub looks like this
IMG_2921.JPG

We came back through Elsworth and Cambourn,
IMG_2924.JPG

17 miles and 2 pints for me!

https://www.strava.com/activities/981787557

Last edited:

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
About time I did some hills, so went off to the Peak District and found some! After skirting round south of Stockport passed through the much nicer Hazel Grove area.

ApRksMHl.jpg

After climbing a ridiculously steep housing estate at High Lane passed by Disley Golf Course prior to the big down n up that signalled the start of painful riding.

iPltbi0l.jpg

The fast downhill section was typically ruined by the red lights at the bottom, prior to a LONG climb up Buxton Old Road that seems to go on forever. Those lights are always red. I hate those lights.

Turning right into Mudhurst Lane the climbing continued until reaching High Peak School.

e0Dw9Lvl.jpg

As the photo above indicates, the ride to Bolington after this was fast downhills, followed by some reason to slow right down, followed by long stretches of uphill. At no point can momentum be held between the two. Views were great though.

I did realise I was cutting it fine to make it to Bollington's Waterside Cafe so didn't hang around for more pics and made it there 3 minutes before closing just in time to grab a takeaway cuppa.

KvcS6Qtl.jpg

Love this place. ^^

Took a different route around the north of Macclesfield that was a little hillier but meant I didn't have to go through Macclesfield. Hills>Macclesfield.

Hit rush hour as usual around Alderley Edge right through Wilmslow and Styal, which combined with Man Utd fans around South Manchester made for very slow going home.

But my longest ride of the year, the hilliest since last October, and it felt great!

https://www.strava.com/activities/981666709

On a side note, and nothing at all to do with the above, while waiting this morning at an engineering establishment for the dude to get me a replacement bolt for my Garmin out front mount, a yorkshire terrier tried to hump my ankle. Just wanted to share that.

Old jon

Guru
Someone painted the sky grey. Must have, the barometer was on the F in Fair, just as it was last evening. OK fairly grey then. Going for a ride anyway, who cares about the barometer alphabet? Best discussed over a pint or many.

So, wheel out the fixed and hide in Holbeck while I persuade the legs to keep pedalling, escape along a newly reopened Water Lane, cross the river and aim for Oakwood. Followed almost vertically ( well, steep anyway ) up Boot Hill to the Ring Road and cross that, on to the left turn for Shadwell. Reach Main Street, turn left and along the road to Slaid Hill and turn right. This bit of road is quite a job without a freewheel, a couple of brisk descents do spin the legs quickly and of course, where there be downs, there be ups nearby. Loads of fun. East Keswick should be renamed Hill Village. ‘Cos it is. After that there is a drop to the A 659, and a right turn goes into Collingham, then left, through what is left of the village and turn right on Wattle Syke and further on to the roundabouts. Almost have to ride a knitting pattern to find the road for Boston Spa, and soon after, clairvoyance is useful to see the sign hidden in the tree. It points to Clifford. A tiny village, still has a pub or two and the convent is now luxury apartments or something. Flats, in my young days. Bramham is next along the road, up the hill and cross the A 1M by the flyover and carry on towards Thorner, not forgetting to video this innocent looking piece of road. It is a lot steeper than it looks.

No distance at all to travel now. The deceptive, looks like its flat, road to Thorner which does keep the legs pushing hard, an easy ride through the village and then Sandhills. Wonder where the name originated? Anyway, they are still a bit of a climb but having done that it is all easy from before Skeltons Lane, along Red Hall Lane and a whizz down that hill that was a sweat to ascend earlier in the ride. Past the redundant gates to Roundhay Park, down the road to what used to be the Fforde Green and through a bit of Leeds centre, over the river and a bit of a hill to home. 32.2 miles, the odd spot of rain, few other cyclists around, they missed a good ride.

Map making done the easy way

12052017.jpg

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Showers were forecast. I headed out anyway and with 10 miles on the clock the first shower hit. I hid under a tree. It didn't take long for the shower to pass. 3 miles later another shower and another tree. This time I waited a bit longer before it too passed. Now I could take to the loop by Moseley and on to Ockeridge. I took another loop to Martley before heading south to cross the Teme at Knightwick. The loop by Suckley seemed like a good idea rather than the more direct Alfrick return. The traffic at Leigh Sinton was backed up quite a way with workslaves heading home. I'm afraid I couldn't help smile as I rode in the opposite direction. Am I bad? 42 smiles

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Rode home after my last night shift this morning, nice and mild but rather damp. Needed to go up the High Street this afternoon so extended the ride home to go via Runneymede Pleasure Grounds, where it started raining a little, then a lot as I reached Egham. A short sharp shower which just made it feel sticky. Off to look at a potential N+1 in the morning:smile:

Did not ride out due to anticipated showers (they did come and some were short and hard)
Went to the turbo in the garage and it is not working.:angry:

Went to the gym instead
Need a new turbo by next winter, unless I find it is a fixable issue (unlikely)

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Explorer square ride with @tallliman and @13 rider. I took them both on a tour of some of the more scenic city roads of Leicester :whistle: before heading out to Whetstone to show them the remains of a bridge on the GCW - @ 13 rider was as impressed as me, but @tallliman was like a kid in a sweet shop ^_^

Stopped at Ellis Tea Rooms where @tallliman got to see not one but two steam trains and an old diesel come into the station.

After we all went our separate ways I was stopped by a Scottish lady asking for directions to Queniborough. I told her where to go and was on my way only for a couple of minutes later for me to realise I had sent her to Quorn :banghead: So I turned around and found her and took her to Syston and got her on the correct cycle route.

Some of the roads were pretty dull but achieved the objective of ticking squares off for @tallliman. 71 miles in total for me.

https://www.strava.com/activities/984109318

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Newland was the meet. Only 3 today tho'. Pete M, Sara P and me. Trumpet was the call so off around the north of the hills took us up and down some lumpy bits before we crossed the main Hereford road. A shower came on so we sheltered under a tree. Not long passed before we took to the Coddington lane where another shower called for another shelter, this time under a superb Copper Beech tree. This one took a little longer to pass so the cold began to set in. Once under way again the pace went up in an attempt to warm up. The Munsley lump helped the warming and so we arrived at the cafe at Trumpet nicely warm and ready for some refreshments and chat.

The showery band of weather had passed when we headed south along the flanks of the Marcles. The lump over from Much Marcle seemed easy today as did the ramp to Brooms Green. Sara peeled off to ride the main road from Rye Cross while Pete and I took to the lanes. We got a spectacularly close look at a perched sparrowhawk at Hook Bank before the final run home. Super social outing today despite a couple of pesky showers. 52 smiles

Top Bottom