Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

13 rider

Guru
Another ride in the company of @Supersuperleeds and @tallliman this time following a @Supersuperleeds plotted route to enable @tallliman to collect some veloviewer squares which has become a bit of obsession for the pair of them and something I'm resisting. Do I need another cycling obsession ? . Out the door at 0730 to meeting point at Cossington got there early and passed @Supersuperleeds going the other way as I did a extra loop of the village . Got to the meeting point both waiting for me so we're off . We did a loop around and through Leicester on various cycle route and mixture of roads which being earlyish were not to busy . Stopped in Whetstone to admire some old railway arches which pleased @tallliman . Then back to Anstey via Desford ,Groby . Decided to ignore the fact I'm in my home village and carry on to the coffee stop in Rothley at the geat central railway . Coffee and cake ( lemon drizzle ) were consumed outside watching 3 trains go through . After the break we went our separate ways me retracing the route back to Anstey and home 53.7 miles in the bag . Lovely ride in excellent company but I won't be rushing back to ride some of the roads :whistle: . So do I get involved in the new game of square chasing ?? Still unsure ?

Last edited:

Goonerobes

Its okay to be white
As @CarlP has kindly reminded me of this threads existence........:whistle:

Whilst its not exactly mountainous down here in the south I thought I do something a little different today & haul myself up some hills, three of which I had done before plus a new one.

Starting with a brief encounter with a New Forest Pony, who was in the road but typically moved once I'd stopped for a photo, it was lanes & B roads through Fordingbridge & Cranbourne to the first little hill.
IMG_0849.JPG

Tollard Royal to Donhead Hollow is quite a nice 2.6 mile climb plus it finally gave me a little bit of tail wind before it was onto the second hill & a new one for me, up to Ox Drove. Again it was nothing to strenuous, averaging 3% over a couple of miles, but the usual fun bit down hill was a bit treacherous on a narrow & winding stony road so done on the brakes but at least I could stop for lunch & photos without too much disruption.
IMG_0851.JPG

IMG_0852.JPG

Along the chalk valley to climb three at Ebbesbourne where again the fun bit downhill was ruined, this time by a headwind, & then more b roads to number four at Howgare Road where the obligatory bike photo was taken with spring lambs for company.
IMG_0855 (1).JPG

62.5 miles in total & metric ton number nine for the year. (possibly the breeziest)

https://www.strava.com/activities/984152321

Last edited:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I should stop making plans, as you know what happens to then, don't you? :laugh:

Anyway, after much faffing I was out of the door on the Pro Carbon and on the familiar tarmac of Coal Road, Red Hall lane and the A58 onto Whin Moor Lane and Gateland Lane into Shadwell. Have I mentioned yet that it was a bit breezy? Helen Willets on the BBC said winds of 13mph this morning. I said Hmmmmm..... :rolleyes:

Left in Shadwell up Main Street all the way to Slaid Hill Lights and onto Wike Ridge Lane and then Tarn Lane for the run across the top, now wind assisted so much more fun. Across and on to Ling Lane past all the des reses and back to the A58 for the speedy descent to the right turn into the first Thorner Lane of the day for the drop down to the beck and the slog up Scarcroft Hill and on to Milner Lane.

Awind assisted push along the ridge, which was fun but made me think I was going to pay for it later. Then Holme Farm Lane to Rigton Green and a deserted Bramham Lane all the way across Jewitt Lane and back up onto another Thorner Lane. Left and on through the dip, hitting 37.5mph :hyper:before carrying on towards Bramham, turning left just before the village onto West Woods Road and the undulations all the way to Wattlesyke Roundabout.

Traffic was quite busy here and it was where I encountered the driver of the day, cutting so close just after I came off the roundabout that the door mirror on their Discovery came within a foot of my elbow :dry:, so close in fact that the driver of the following car looked across and asked if I was OK as they passed (safely)...:thumbsup:

Anyhow, muppets apart, it was on down the hill and across the roundabout (not literally) and in to Wetherby, where traffic was queuing over the bridge.
Left at the roundabout and out through the town towards Sicklinghall on a road I've ridden many times, but never in this direction - probably because it's mainly uphill in this direction :laugh:
Battling the wind (oo-er!) I decided to take the left into Linton and while not totally sheltered from the breeze it was at least gently downhill. Into the village and I was reminded how picturesque parts of it are - almost Cotswold-ish, if that is a word. I haven't cycled through here since the bridge over the river was damaged in the Boxing Day floods of 2015 and has been closed since (re-opening "Summer 2017", apparently). The closed bridge had the advantage of there being virtually no traffic in or around the village and what there was all behaved impeccably, so I enjoyed the lumpiness back into Wetherby and then along the other side of the town centre, descending down to the Wilderness Park by the river for a breather:
IMG_20170513_095208337_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170513_095440981.jpg

Sadly, there was no sign of the usual ice-cream van, so I had to make do with an energy bar :sad:

Back on the bike and up the hill, before heading out of town towards the A1(M), over the bridge and along past the race course, before eventually taking the right towards Thorp Arch. The TdY came the opposite way up here a couple of weeks ago and it's clear that they'd 'dressed' the road surface for it :dry:
Anyway, the least said about that the better and I was grateful to take the left to loop around onto Long Causeway past the church and drop back down into the village just before the descent down over the bridge and back up the other side.

Left again in Boston Spa and all the way through the village, down the dip and up the other side, before a sharp right onto Bar Lane for the straight into the wind descent towards Clifford and the climb all the way up Main Street, which is rewarded by the rapid plunge into Bramham.
Looped round up to the A1(M) bridge, stopping just before what I knew was going to be a slog into the wind for the next few miles to get some Haribo Tangfastic on board^_^

Over the bridge and back towards Thorner, now straight into the 'breeze' and working hard for it. Decided to take the direct route to Thorner, as it's slightly shorter and slightly less exposed than the more scenic way round via Milner Lane and to be fair it wasn't too bad once I'd got the legs spinning after the climb out of Wothersome dip (or as @Old jon calls it 'Dead Badger Hill' :laugh: ).
Eventually reached Thorner and thoroughly enjoyed the rapid descent of Church Hill, before hanging back for a group of horseriders on the bends in front of the church. Into the village and right onto Carr Lane, not fancying tackling Van Zyl Hill with my tiring legs, for the familiar up, down and more up to the A58 for a third time today, before a quick (ish) run along to Coal Road, and up the hill where I was passed by an absolutely gorgeous white Aston Martin DB11 just before hitting the local roads to home.
The driver gave me a load of room, but kept slowing for the speed bumps so we were alongside each other for a short distance - on which basis I'm now claiming to be as fast as an Aston Martin...:laugh:
From there it was a familiar and happily mainly downhill run into the wind to home.

36.13 miles (58.14km) in 2h 43m at an average of 13.3mph with 1,998ft climbed. If only I'd been paying attention I'd have gone round the block to get the extra 2ft in, but I'm happy with that considering the frankly now boring wind. Plus it's another entry in the half century challenge, and there were lots of other cyclists out there which is always a good thing. ^_^

And, to tidy things up at the end, a very squiggly map:
13052017.JPG

Osprey

Guru
Last training ride for the Tour of Pembrokeshire next weekend so took off into the hill. Starting in the town of Pontardawe at the bottom of the Swansea Valley, there was no time to warm up before a 1 mile long 7% climb to climb out of the valley floor and make my way over to the adjacent Neath Valley. A gentle meander up the Neath Valley to GlynNeath before the 3.5 mile long 7% climb up to Hirwaun and the Brecon Beacons National Park. I've drven along this road many times between Hirwaun and Storey Arms Pass and always felt it was a relatively flat moorland. Having cycled it theres nearly 1500ft of climbing between the two. A quick coffee break at the roadside burger van on the top of the pass when the heavens opened and soaked me through. Okay, took it on the chin and set off down the 10 mile decent into Brecon which was absolutely freezing. From Brecon was time to make my way over to Cray which is the pass at the top of the Swansea Valley. Unfortunately for the next 15 miles I was now cycling into the 23 mph head wind which was the most energy and moral sapping experience I've faced on the bike. Somehow I got through it and made it to the pass at Cray with only now the next 16 miles of downhill of the Swansea Valley. With the wind not abating, even that was an effort. Unfortunatly not the most enjoyable ride but maybe a repeat in nicer weather. 68 miles and 3800 foot of climbing gives me May's metric century challenge ride and Strava's Gran Fondo.

upload_2017-5-13_17-31-48.png

IMG_0564[1].JPG

Storey Arms Pass and the start of the 10 mile decent into Brecon.

IMG_0573[1].JPG

Nearly to Cray and out of the mountains....

Another ride in the company of @Supersuperleeds and @tallliman this time following a @Supersuperleeds plotted route to enable @tallliman to collect some veloviewer squares which has become a bit of obsession for the pair of them and something I'm resisting. Do I need another cycling obsession ? . Out the door at 0730 to meeting point at Cossington got there early and passed @Supersuperleeds going the other way as I did a extra loop of the village . Got to the meeting point both waiting for me so we're off . We did a loop around and through Leicester on various cycle route and mixture of roads which being earlyish were not to busy . Stopped in Whetstone to admire some old railway arches which pleased @tallliman . Then back to Anstey via Desford ,Groby . Decided to ignore the fact I'm in my home village and carry on to the coffee stop in Rothley at the geat central railway . Coffee and cake ( lemon drizzle ) were consumed outside watching 3 trains go through . After the break we went our separate ways me retracing the route back to Anstey and home 53.7 miles in the bag . Lovely ride in excellent company but I won't be rushing back to ride some of the roads :whistle: . So do I get involved in the new game of square chasing ?? Still unsure ?

Not all of it is as exciting as today! ;) you could always go for most squares if you wanted something different!

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Nice club ride, 7 of us arrived at the cafe this morning, a low number for a Saturday, but that's because the club organised the 200 kilometer challenge, London to York, last report was they will be there on time to get the train back, So anyway back to our ride, we set of to do the usual 45 mile ride, but when we got to Ware everyone was feeling good, so we decided to put an extra loop in. The long way round to Hertford, then another extra loop around the back of Hertford, everyone riding well, no problems at all, Got back to Potters Bar then the final sprint down the Ridgeway a three mile stretch to Enfield, Ending in the pub for a nice beer, 57 miles not to shabby, Don't know what happened to the weather, when we got to the pub the temperature seem to drop when the sun went in, another great ride. :okay:
https://www.strava.com/activities/984109581
Can't ride Sunday as i have to get the bedroom decorating finished.:sad:

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
IMG_0913.JPG

Another fine afternoon in North Yorkshire so a steady 32 mile/ 16.2 av ride from Towton to Cawood then the back roads to Selby and back home via Wistow, Biggin, Little Fenton and Ulleskelf.
The only bike I've ridden on the road this year has been my Retro Trek 1400 which has aluminium forks so I rode my Specialized Crux CX bike today (with road tyres) which has carbon forks and what a smooth plush ride it is in comparison, whoever thought Aluminium was a good idea!

Last edited:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
My ride today was a test ride of what was quickly decided to become the N+1, something a little different. Whilst not exactly a glamorous route around a local trading estate, I was accompanied by a Brompton to show the way. The new bike, well something I've been hankering after for a while, and the waiting paid off with a nice, honest machine from a fellow forumite. Not my pic by the way, I haven't had the chance to get it out the van since returning home as the payback involved doing the garden fence...
ICE TRICE Q as bought.jpg

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
My ride today was a test ride of what was quickly decided to become the N+1, something a little different. Whilst not exactly a glamorous route around a local trading estate, I was accompanied by a Brompton to show the way. The new bike, well something I've been hankering after for a while, and the waiting paid off with a nice, honest machine from a fellow forumite. Not my pic by the way, I haven't had the chance to get it out the van since returning home as the payback involved doing the garden fence...
View attachment 352270
That looks like one fab contraption.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
View attachment 352270

You could replace the window with a solar panel and go for green electric assist!

The met office forecast looked good for a long ride today. Surprisingly, it was totally wrong. The wind was horrific, and it rained heavily at the start of the ride. So the original plan of 160 odd miles got changed pretty swiftly. I had a bike with good wet weather tyres on, and I was getting horrendous over rotation on anything approaching a hill, partly due to the head wind stopping me from making any forward progress, and partly due to the fallen blossom and leaves mixed with the horrendous downpours. So, given that any semblance of trust in the forecast doing what it said it was going to do later in the day had gone, I cut the ride short. Good job too, rather than it warming up and drying up, and the wind dropping off, guess what, that's right, it got windier and colder, and rainier. I think the met office forecasts are deliberately put out as the opposite of what actually happens, as some sort of joke.
Anyway, I did get just over 70 miles completed, but it was not fun.

https://www.relive.cc/view/984472392

IMG_4302.JPG

A lovely lime and zest cheesecake and a coffee at fort Nelson:hungry:.

IMG_4303.JPG

A beer to calm my fractured nerves getting down off of the hill ( again ):evil:

IMG_4304.JPG

It looks calm and warm. It wasn't :eek:.

IMG_4305.JPG

It's no surprise there's no one else sat outside :ohmy:.

IMG_4306.JPG

The wind dropped to just gale force, and some other folk risked it.

That was a horrifically windy rainy 'orrible ride, not helped by some truly idiotic riding by a couple of riders en route, that nearly caused me big problems. It's a good job I was awake, and spotted the perpendicular RLJ coming, and I pulled up before getting pole axed.

Very trying today. But it was saved by the fantastic cake at Fort Nelson^_^.

:bicycle::thumbsup:.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
7.1 miles this day, in the lovely warm temperatures, sunshine, and wind, a curse on the way out, and a blessing on the way back. Usual 7.1 mile rectangle until medical exam on Wednesday, seems to be what I can do. I also changed the cranks from Biopace to something round.
79F, 26C
Winds NW16(higher than forecast)
Relative humidity 32%
Barometer 29.87in, 1013.2mb.
Schwinn Mirada still has to get faster.

Gareth C

Veteran
Yesterday was the first day of the Dulux Trade London Revolution, and I was there! Previously it was my role to come up with stupid ride ideas (normally accompanied by the phrase “how hard can it be?”). Today was full-and-square down to Brian (indeed, he was signed up for both days).

After a drive down the A1, M18, M1, M42 and M40 we had a quick dinner, went to dump my car near the finish at Windsor Racecourse, then back to Brian’s for a bit of telly before a four hour sleep.

The next day we headed over to Lee Valley Sports Centre, got parked up, registered, met Neal and skipped the traditional bacon sandwich in favour of getting on the road.

5712337080418304wv5440779233525760.jpe
6219982350581760wv5440779233525760.jpe

There is a great route description here, but in short: head south into London, over Tower Bridge, through Dulwich, past Crystal Palace and out into the countryside.

5290947688792064wv5440779233525760.jpe

We have a short, fast descent to our pitstop 1 for refreshments, then thread our way westwards through beautiful Surrey countryside to pitstop 2.

img_1718.jpg

Brian and Neal after escaping London
img_1719.jpg

Pit Stop 1 Bike Racking
img_1720.jpg

Still a long way to go…
img_1721.jpg

… but plenty of motivation on hand.
img_1722.jpg

Well done – AMAZING EFFORT
From pitstop 2 there are two climbs over the Surrey Hills, then undulating country northwards to Virginia Water and onwards to Windsor.

6469955939991552wv5440779233525760.jpe

Plenty of walkers who hadn’t done their training in the North Pennines
5738760574861312wv5440779233525760.jpe

All over, bar the five hour drive home
The weather was forecast to start cold, but rapidly warm up, with a strong-ish wind from the south west (so in our faces for much of the day). The reality was that the wind delivered as-promised, but he warming up bit and staying dry didn’t. There wasn’t much rain directly on us, but the roads showed that we had clearly dodged a lot of big showers.

Despite the lack of training (one 100km ride a couple of weeks ago), the time in the saddle hauling the fat bike around seems to have paid dividends, and a day later, I feel pretty much fine.

https://www.relive.cc/view/984902451

We agreed this was the last time for this event: we’ve done it a few times, and it is great, but time for something else; probably something self-organised. Neal mentioned half-way between him and me; unfortunately, that probably means a beasting in the Peak District…

screen-shot-2017-05-14-at-10-12-56.png

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Just a jaunt locally, Pboro out to Bullock Road, past the radio towers up toward Stilton across the A1 and back via Norman Cross.
19 miles....saw two lovely red kite sitting unusually in a field, managed to get a shot as they loped off...a little distant for the photo but. ..
20170514_120857.jpg

20170514_120920.jpg

One yellowhammer and a pair of probably muntjac deer almost exactly where I saw one the other day, dense scrub and bushes provide good cover..

Really quite breezy out there but all good.

13 rider

Guru
Today was my 2nd year of doing the Charnwood forest charity ride . I'm doing the long 50 miles .So out the door to ride to the start So Anstey ,Cropston ,Rothley to the start . I was wearing my cycle chat Jersey and got chatting to @2Loose a not very active member . Hope you had a good ride if you read this. Started in the second wave . Rothley ,Cropston around the back of Bradgate park and into Woodhouse evaves and the climbing starts. First Beacon hill then on to priory lane which has 2 climbs first one short and steep then the second steep and longer ! .Quick break at the feed station then the quick descent of Pollybotts lane then onto Sharpley hill were I was slowly reeling in a rider. Caught him as I turned at the top at the same time we were passed by 2 riders and we made a 4 man peleton and we were flying wasn't sure I could keep the pace:surrender: but decided to hang on as long as I could . Through Swithland we slowed down for a couple of horse riders which was a good job as 1 of them was my sister :hello:. Back to Rothley and we turned onto to the long route at the lights at the crossroads and we finally split into 2 pairs as we let the faster 2 go and me and my new ride bubby Jerry slowed the pace down to 18mph :surrender:. Up Humble lane and out up the Wreake valley . Ratcliffe on the Wreake ,Thrussington and Hoby the next feed station ,quick stop top up my water grabbed a few jelly babies and a flapjack . Then it's the climb towards Ragdale quick drop into the village then the horrible climb out . Down Paudy lane again into a headwind rned to Walton on the wolds coming into the village suffered a ridiculous close pass could here a car coming past on a blind bend and I can see a car coming the other way :eek: car passing me just closes the gap :eek: not sure how I stayed upright . The driver was quite surprised when I caught him at the next junction and tapped on his window . I could see kids in the car so kept it polite and pointed out how close he was and to his credit he profusely apologised and we parted on good terms hopefully he will think twice in the future . On to Barrow ,Mountsorrel and the evil climb at 47 miles of Bond lane . Ground my way up the a quick descent into Quorn and the last bit of rolling terrain Woodhouse eaves ,Swithland and back to Rothley . 50 miles done to 2 hr 55 mins 5 mins quicker than last year :becool: . After a bacon roll and coffee and cake consumed just the matter of the ride home . Rothley ,Cropston ,Anstey . 59.5 miles done in lovely conditions :sun:which considering its was raining when I got the bike out this morning was better than expected. Really nice friendly well organised ride . Seems to get bigger each year and a few quid raised for Alex's Wish a good day on the bike .​

Top Bottom