Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just a fizz round my usual 14 mile Downham - Way Head - Coveney - Ely loop at teatime. Sadly no sunshine in this neck of the woods and a chilly breeze picked up halfway round, but it sure was good to get out. :bicycle:

Best moment of the ride actually came when I stopped in Coveney for a drink. Saw a chap walking what on the face of it seemed four small dogs. As he and his furries came closer, I could see he had two westies, a small liver-coloured spaniel... and a black cat.

Made me chuckle all the way home. :laugh: Especially since I used to have a black cat who used to come for walkies. :blush:

Old jon

Guru
Bright and sunny again. Even better, leaves on trees not being blown about much. Let’s go for a ride!

This was not a spontaneous decision of course. For some odd reason, I had thought the route out last night. As I was walking to the pub, which takes about twenty minutes. So, before beer induced bravado set in I had firmly decided to have a try at riding up Pool Bank, I think for the first time this century. Read on . . .

All the average detours were ridden, just to avoid traffic lights mostly. There is one right turn on a four lane one way road, well least said on that. Then Viaduct Road, Cardigan Road all the way to Headingley. After crossing the Ring Road at Lawnswood the bike decided to turn left onto Otley Old Road. More up to pedal. But I found a stretch of more or less downhill to video just after passing the water tower.

A couple more smaller climbs brings you to the top of the old Chevin, and I thoroughly enjoyed losing all that height I had pedalled up. Nothing at all to slow me down, very unusual. Into Otley, along to the river bridge for the first crossing of the Wharfe, second river of the ride, and turn right onto Farnley Lane. More uphill, but the drop on the other side is a good ‘un although there was too much haze for any photography. The viaduct at Arthington is visible and one of these days I will take that picture. Across the Washburn at Leathley Bridge and turn right, a similar right turn at the Bradford to Harrogate road and cross the Wharfe again. Then the hill. I did it, no stops, just pedal away ignoring what my legs were screaming, all the way to the Dyneley Arms. If I had kept going towards Bradford, there is more uphill. I am really glad I did not want to go to Bradford.

After all that, the rest of the ride is anti-climax. All along the A 660 ( Bob Dylan did better lyrics ) to the right turn at Headingley for the drop to Kirkstall and the towpath ride most of the way home. Thirty and one half miles, 1780 feet going up and the same amount descending, so when I reached my front door it was at the same level I left it at, which gave me a grin at the end of a strenuous ride for me.

Yes, the map. I should have worn it out by now.

10052017.jpg

Katherine

Guru
^^^ Wonderful pic, hope the ride matched it!

Yes, thank you. It was one of those rare times ( for me) when I just rode where the bike took me!
It's not easy to avoid the evening traffic so I usually just go down the East Lancs Rd path around rush hour times, but I'd gone left out of my road and cycled a mile down the hill and through the village before I realised. So then I decided to go on the Port Salford Greenway to get to the A57 bypass that also has a cycle path and goes parallel with the ship canal in parts and is one of the ways to get to Warburton Bridge. The first intention was to take a loop back up through Glazebury and Culcheth to get back to the East Lancs Road and then home. Then I thought I'd go over the bridge and just do a little loop around Dunham before turning back, but the bike had other ideas, the roads around Dunham were so quiet, the evening sunshine was enticing and another small loop was added then that became a bit of medium loop. It's great that I've now ridden so much around these lanes that I was confident enough to just ride and knew where I was and which way to go to head back to the bridge. Then.. the battery went in my phone just after I took the picture above, I was 15 miles from home and as I set off I realised that I was cooling down a bit. I was wearing a short sleeved jersey and three quarter leggings and no bag on the back of the new bike for extra layers. I still enjoyed the rest of the ride but I was glad to get home at 8.45! A hot meal of scrambled egg and bacon was amazing. The computer on the bike read 31.5 miles too so another entry for the half century challenge.
I was too tired to write all that last night!
Here's to many more sunny miles.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Weather forecast was brilliant for today, so had a 114 miler planned. Couldn't be arsed to fall out of bed when the alarm went off so didn't leave the house until just before 8am which meant I would be playing with rush hour traffic for the first 5 or 6 miles before I would be in the countryside. Got 4 miles into the ride and realised I'd left my bottles at home, so turned around and got them, thus played with the rush hour traffic for a good 12 miles :blink:

Was warm enough at the start for shorts and the ss Leeds top with arm warmers. Got a few beeps from cars, which I hoped was from fellow Leeds fans rather than drivers getting annoyed not only with a cyclist but a Leeds United cyclist :laugh:

Weather was as forecast, hardly any wind and wall to wall sunshine. After my brief return to home I'd noticed if I continued with the original route I would only be 2 miles from a double metric, I also realised I might not make my cafe stop which would now be at 90 miles as I would get there about 2pm and I was convinced this was their closing time, but anyway decided to stick with the original plan and if the cafe was closed I could cut the ride short as the direct route home from the cafe is about 20 miles and pretty much downhill.

Anyway got to the cafe at 5 to 2 and it was still open, so a mug of tea and slice of triple cake in the sun and I was ready to go again. I decided I felt fine so stuck with the original route until I got back to Syston when I went off route to make up the 2 miles I needed. Ended up doing 126 miles and got the tan well and truly topped up and also ticked off 43 new explorer squares.

https://www.strava.com/activities/979842289

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Pete M arrived as planned at Newland and we rode to Powick along Jennet Tree Lane for the meet with Julian H. Much chat ensued as Jules hasn't been out much at all. We headed off through the standard lanes to Martley where Jules peeled off after more chat. His legs were not ready for what was to come.

Pete and I climbed up and over to Ham Bridge and rode along the Teme valley. It's a superb run along here especially today with lovely sunshine and the new greens of spring all around. We detoured to inspect the new bridge at Eastham. The old one had collapsed with much inconvenience to the locals. Back to normal now even if the new bridge isn't the Grade II listed structure of old. Not too far now as we soon arrived at the T.A.B.S. cafe in Tenbury.

After much chat and an extra pot of tea we headed out of town on the southern bank of the Teme towards Little Hereford. So far we had been upping and downing on the lumpy route but now we turned away from the valley to climb doggedly for Leysters where the Pole reference is to a wayside gallows. No grisly sights today! We were still not at the top but there is a drop before the final assault to the summit. With a few ups it's mostly down to Bromyard. Now we rode the lumpy Frome valley before another climb away and over onto the Leigh Brook valley. Why are river valleys so lumpy? That's three today and everyone with its ups and downs. I'd have it no other way as it makes for excellent scenery, excellent variety and great practice for bike handling skills including gear shifting all over the available range.

We parted at Newland where Pete had left his car. I'd had a superb ride in some excellent quiet lanes in stunning scenery. Did I say the climbing was a mere 4200 feet? That's only 62 feet/mile. As we know 100 feet/mile is a hilly ride but explain that to my legs. 68 big smiles today.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
7.1 miles this day, not feeling well, so going slow. Many cyclists out at lunchtime, nice sunny day, storms forecast for later, so all the yard work got done this morning, then government dealings(well, paying water/garbage bill, and posting letters for Mrs.GA, and buying stamps.) I then was a bit ill, so I thought cycling a bit would help. Getting a bike ride in always helps, somehow.
77F 25C
Winds S9
Relative humidity 64%
Barometer 29.92 1014.6mb
Big storms brewing to my west, can just see some c/n towers rising now.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I was booked in to a class at the gym this evening, but stuff that! There's not been a sunny evening for ages so I took my mountain bike out to play.

I took the familiar route through the fields to Caldecote, then on to Kingston before jumping on the Wimpole Way. I rode along the ridge behind the belts of woodland before screaming down the rough hill. At the point where I looked it said 31.5mph. Luckily there was nobody about!

At the bottom I said hello to the shire horses
IMG_2883.JPG

Up the drive to Wimpole and the dandelion heads took my eye
IMG_2886.JPG

I was going to head to the Arrington gate but a mown path up the hill caught my eye. Not sure I was within the rules by riding up there
IMG_2888.JPG

At the top I looked east, down the Lime tree avenue. Out the other side of the garden the avenue continues with oak trees
IMG_2891.JPG

It was at the top of this hill that we stood about 15 years ago with a reluctant son, sat on a bike. We gave him a push.... how cruel we were. He crashed! Luckily I didn't tonight.
At the bottom I took a pic I've taken before...
IMG_2893.JPG

Back up Old Wimpole hill and behind the belts, slower this time! I stopped to admire the views
IMG_2895.JPG

^ That'll be Addenbrookes hospital.

IMG_2897.JPG

^ The building on the horizon left of centre is the University library.

Back to Caldecote on the road before coming across the fields.

19 miles. Good stuff!

https://www.strava.com/activities/980207144

Well I took advantage of the warm, sunny evening after doing all the stuff that needed doing and popped out at 6 for a spin around my usual 14 mile loop.

Loads of cyclists out tonight - I counted nine, including one chap in Ely CC kit on a TT bike and the miserable so and so who overtook me without as much as a by-your-leave... Still, it was good to get out.

Wildlife count: one mallard duck, a crow, a heron, loads of pigeons, several jaywalking pheasants and one chicken who couldn't decide whether to cross the road or not. Water level in the drains is unusually low for this time of year as well. And several farmers were out planting spuds. There was a significant spillage of seed spuds down West Fen Road as well...

In view of forecast rain later in the week I chose to do the harder 'Friday' session this morning , as I may need to ride indoors.

This was basically last Friday 's ride, but on a different course.

The plan was to ride through Elton and Dorney, loop around, and back , the taking a longer loop

Like last Friday it was windy, but soon hit other problems, there were short but numerous roadworks around Windsor and Datchet and area. I diverted a slightly different way and ran directly into queuing traffic for Windsor horse show. Determined to leave the area, I head though Ashford and did some loops round Shepperton area.

The ride did not go totally to plan. Tried to make the best of it.

42.73 miles at ave speed of 15.7 mph, but ave moving speed 16.3 mph
A mere 518 feet climbed.

https://www.strava.com/activities/979601167

EDIT p.s. the Thames Side road at Laleham has a section near Chertsey Bridge which has been resurfaced with chippings, one of the least cyclist friendly finishes
I will have to abandon one of my favourite cycling roads for a while

Last edited:

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
Insects! Is it me or is there an inordinate number of them this Spring? I wish I could say I go so fast that they scatter and bounce off my head as I cleave through swarms of them leaving the survivors tumbling in my wake!

In reality, most of them perform a sort of landing procedure and start to wander around. Finding no hair to get tangled in some loiter for ages and hop off when they feel like it. I'm sure some were the same ones from the other night! I'll have to start charging a fare!

Spare bike #1 still hasn't been fitted with the GPS so no official statistics from tonight's ride but I do know the weather was great and I did around 25 miles.

Insects! Is it me or is there an inordinate number of them this Spring? I wish I could say I go so fast that they scatter and bounce off my head as I cleave through swarms of them leaving the survivors tumbling in my wake!

In reality, most of them perform a sort of landing procedure and start to wander around. Finding no hair to get tangled in some loiter for ages and hop off when they feel like it. I'm sure some were the same ones from the other night! I'll have to start charging a fare!

Spare bike #1 still hasn't been fitted with the GPS so no official statistics from tonight's ride but I do know the weather was great and I did around 25 miles.
Know what you mean . I was at the football tonight and was eaten alive by midges.:sad:

Top Bottom