Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Katherine

Guru
Today I rode to Great Budworths ice cream farm with the intention of having an ice cream. It was very busy. And I don't do crowds. So I had a chickin sammich and mug of tea from my flask a couple miles further on.
Rode through a myriad of nice little Cheshire lanes and barely a soul for miles on end at times.
But that bloody wind! It was draining me quicker than May draining the NHS and I wasn't all that spritely when I set off this morning to start with.
Left home about 10am and got back again just before 5pm having done 65 miles.
Waiting for the pizza delivery then I'll scoff that and nod off on my fiancee. I be knackered.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/15051592
You can get the same icecream in those mini tubs from the visitor centre at the Anderton Boat Centre 3 miles further on, through Cumberbach and past Marbury country park. It's a lovely cafe stop for cyclists (good cake). Between High Legh and Anderton are definately my favourite 10 miles ever.

Had a lovely ride today, so much nicer now that the wind has subsided; 21 miles in the late afternoon / early evening sunshine. :sun: Did my usual Downham - Way Head - Coveney - Ely loop, and returned home via O Furlong, Pymoor, and Downham.

It's been a while since I've done any sort of a distance, so the last few miles were hard - especially the horrible drag up Mill Hill at the 18 mile mark. :heat: My fault really, I should have packed a snack to have en route as the legs were running on empty by then. Still, it was fabby to get out, and I'm sitting here feeling suitably virtuous. :girldance:

Saw two joggers, two horses and riders, ten cyclists, two bikes for sale, a partridge, a yellowhammer and a hare. And one wall absolutely smothered in the most gorgeous pink roses. :wub:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Went out this morning with the intention of getting in a metric 100 for June and ended up with an imperial one instead due to a wrong turn!

My intended route was one I'd done once before so no map (paper or Garmin), just what I'd looked at and "memorised" from the previous time. Out to Manningtree via Holbrook then up and over the A12 at Langham before heading to Boxstead and the wonderfully named "Burnt Dick Hill" after which it went wrong. I knew I had to join the A134 for a very short distance outside Nayland and then turn off, but took the wrong turning by about 200 yards and a left hander instead of a right hander!

As a result I ended up not knowing where I was, just following signs for Sudbury as it was the only place I recognised but didn't know how far the return trip would be. Finally in town I saw the signs for Stowmarket and followed them, eventually joining a road I'd ridden a few times before before at Bildeston. It was then that the mental calculations started and I worked out that following a regular route back from there would get the 100 miles in.

All completed in under 6 hours, but as I'd only gone out with enough food and drink for a shorter ride and no lock to secure the bike while buying more, I did start to wilt at the end.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1034769367/

Couple of pics from early on - looking down the River Orwell from Wherstead and, turning round, the Orwell Bridge
River Orwell.jpg
Orwell Bridge.jpg

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
You can get the same icecream in those mini tubs from the visitor centre at the Anderton Boat Centre 3 miles further on, through Cumberbach and past Marbury country park. It's a lovely cafe stop for cyclists (good cake). Between High Legh and Anderton are definately my favourite 10 miles ever.

It could be a while before I'm up for that sort of distance. I was starting to build up my limited endurance but I've been off the bike for a week and a half now which won't have helped things. I've been to the café at the boat lift but not on the bike. I'll have to plan a route.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Booked a couple of days off work, so a chance to get some 'me' miles in, rather than just commuting. I had planned to do the ride H&DW completed on Sunday, but had a change of heart and plotted a route out to the Surrey Hills. Which I then reversed after realising I'd put myself on the A25 going uphill from Shere to Newlands Corner which is no fun.
Out early to try and beat the heat, and an hour spent avoiding rush hour traffic by going through Windsor Great Park. Popped out the other side into Ascot, then through Sunninghill, Lightwater, Chobham before the horrible bit of the ride. I really need to route around this bit, but ended up going through downhill whizz along the A25, turning right just before Shere. Couple of smaller lumps and bumps before heading back through Shere itself, lovely little place which has really been spoilt by cars.
Crossed the A25 then into Combe Lane. Nobody told me it was that steep! Had to give myself a good talking to in order to make it round the sharp left hander at the top, but the long downhill on Staples Lane was a great reward.
Home via a new route through Byfleet which was much nicer than my normal one, and home with 64 miles (103km) done. That's this months metric century done so I can relax a bit now.

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Like Cosmics ride above...a lieu day off for working Sunday so I thought I'm having a 'me' day...apart from doing the supermarket shop first thing :laugh:
Glorious day, just a bit breezy...Pboro out to Elton, Wansford, Kings Cliffe. Stop for 2 eggs on 2 toast, beans tomatoes and a mug of the obligatory..:hungry:.
Off again to Blatherwycke, took a different road to Deene, onto Glapthorn....err a few more miles on roads I don't know. ..onto Southwick, Fotheringhay and home.
11 Red Kite, half a dozen buzzard....one I spooked up from the verge just before my breakfast stop. He launched himself up 10 ft in front of me, tail feathers splayed. ..big bird , and away. At the same second something came from the same spot and hit my front wheel...a bunny wabbit. It did a squirrel spin and ran off. Not sure if the buzzard had him and let go as I came up on them.
One toad in the middle of the road by Southill woods....rescued him and placed him in shade on the verge...
20170614_120318.jpg

Excellent ride, fabulous. 38 miles at an ok pace for me.

galaxy

Veteran
Booked a couple of days off work, so a chance to get some 'me' miles in, rather than just commuting. I had planned to do the ride H&DW completed on Sunday, but had a change of heart and plotted a route out to the Surrey Hills. Which I then reversed after realising I'd put myself on the A25 going uphill from Shere to Newlands Corner which is no fun.
Out early to try and beat the heat, and an hour spent avoiding rush hour traffic by going through Windsor Great Park. Popped out the other side into Ascot, then through Sunninghill, Lightwater, Chobham before the horrible bit of the ride. I really need to route around this bit, but ended up going through downhill whizz along the A25, turning right just before Shere. Couple of smaller lumps and bumps before heading back through Shere itself, lovely little place which has really been spoilt by cars.
Crossed the A25 then into Combe Lane. Nobody told me it was that steep! Had to give myself a good talking to in order to make it round the sharp left hander at the top, but the long downhill on Staples Lane was a great reward.
Home via a new route through Byfleet which was much nicer than my normal one, and home with 64 miles (103km) done. That's this months metric century done so I can relax a bit now.
I know those roads well, nice ride.

booze and cake

probably out cycling
I'm up in Wales for a week helping arrange a surprise 70th birthday party for my mum this weekend. There are plenty of chores and lots to organise but I managed to escape yesterday for a 50 miler around the hills of Mid Wales. From the wilds of Adfa I head down into the valley to Newtown, seeing a total of 5 cars along the 12 mile route, which is about as much as a contrast to my usual hectic cycling around London as its possible to get.
P1010857_zpsecd67zrv.jpg

From Newtown I head along the valley floor to Abermule, where I went to primary school in the 70's, and decide to retrace the route of my of my old school bus as it rises for about 4 miles up to where I used to live on Cefyn y Coed. Again I'm pretty much the only person around, we did'nt have the sun of today but it was still pretty humid and my visits to Wales are too infrequent to maintain any mountain climbing form, so I just keep the pedals turning as I gain altitude. Even in the cloudy weather the views are impressive.
P1010862_zpsdgphblvc.jpg

I scoot along the top thankful I've got 2 water bottles as al these hills are thirsty work. From the top is the view down into the border country with England
P1010879_zpsx3qlu2ks.jpg

From there is a great fast descent to Montgomery, before heading on to Garthmyl and back towards Abermule where I stop to photograph some picture postcard oak trees
P1010883_zps3llvmmm8.jpg

The main road from Abermule to Newtown is pretty horrific for cycling, so I take the Sustrans cycle route instead, which though not ideal for a road bike with slick skinny tyres is still much better than the road, and there was baby swans, ahhhh.
P1010887_zpshpridbip.jpg

Back in Newtown I decide to round off the 50 miles with a blast out to Caersws and back along the back road, which offers some more fine valley views
P1010889_zpsghsii828.jpg

Then it was back home to celebrate the birthday of my folks oldest dog, Perry, who was 15 yesterday and was having a much more relaxing day than me, but with all the hills and fresh air I slept as well as this last night too.
P1010899_zpszplwznf2.jpg

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
At surgeons, by a big painting of Jesus cooking a bluegill or crappie on a stick, and some fellows putting off from a ship in a kedge to see why He is waving at them.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
upload_2017-6-14_20-15-51.png

An after work leg-stretcher and relaxer. Roughly the reverse of the route via the Downs Link I did a couple of weeks ago, but without some utterly pointless hills to start with - I'd miscalculated the one-way system through that part of Guildford and it was simpler just to keep going - and despite not being able to find the smallest ring surprisingly approachable.

Any connection between the point on the High Street where the route finishes and a number of eateries is entirely coincidental.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
What a lovely sunny day. Pete M, Jules H and me met up in Upton and took to standard lanes by Wadborough. At the ford at Pinvin we spotted a grass snake. Lovely. On over the airfield lead us to Rous Lench and with some lefts and rights we took to Flying Horse Lane. Just along here we headed into the Fishing lakes and a very good cafe. Comestibles and 3 cuppas later we went by Hanbury to loop over the Worcester to Birmingham canal twice for Crowle. Then on southward through White Ladies Aston for a slightly differing run back by Besford (where Jules headed for home) and Defford. Not long and Pete and I were saying our byes before I took my usual route back.

Nice leg turner today in ideal (if a tad windy) cycling conditions. 68 smiles

Went to Mcr Airport after work, determined to rack up my first 50 miler of the year.

Jeez it was hot, even with next to nothing on I just felt stifled and weakened. Slight headwind didn't help.

Got 45 miles done in the end, which is an improvement over recent times. I did find that the bike packing on a mtb in Devon has helped with maintaining motivation. But it was a slow ride.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Yesterdays ride, as per usual!
After an 02:00 finish at w*rk, the alarm clock ding-donged me awake at 07:30 <yawn> ready for me to shower, breakfast and await collection by a mate an hour or so later. We then collected two more friends and , once the bikes were strapped down in his van, we headed for Swinley Forest, in the Surrey Hills, for a blast around the MTB trails there. All t'others had ridden there before, but for me it was my maiden visit.
What a great place to ride! The trails flowed beautifully, making for some cracking descents, with smooth berms on the bends to keep you on line..

IMG_2024.JPG

My Trek.. First time I've had the chance to put it though its paces for a while now, having ridden Road or CX recently.

IMG_2010.JPG

It can still fly though :tongue:

IMG_1999.JPG

There's fun to be had there on most skill levels, but some of the descents can get a bit fast, if you're not careful! ^_^

Swinley.png

There's so much more to explore around Swinley, with numerous 'off piste' trails heading of in all directions. I'll certainly be heading there again, and I'll make a whole day of it rather than just the three hours we had on this visit :okay:

A mere 15 miles, but with a smile every few minutes, it was well worth every pedal stroke!!
And smashing weather as well :sun:
Who could ask for more!!

https://www.strava.com/activities/1034626767

:smile:

PS If you do go there, the car parking is only a couple of quid, but the machines only accept old pound coins, not the new fangled ones!

Top Bottom