Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
ridgeway.JPG
Out with the boys on a Wednesday afternoon, Had a ride out to Luton airport,Nice warm weather, first time this year i did not need a vest underneath my jersey, Had a couple of dickheads gave us couple of close passes.. one of them frightened the life out of an oncoming driver.Must be the heat affecting there brain cell. all in all a great ride, stopping at the pub for a few beers before heading of home.
https://www.strava.com/activities/1036948131#kudos

postman

Legendary Member
34 miles in the lovely weather down the canal.Sadly the cafe was closed at Five Rise Locks.Good day legs ache.

Old jon

Guru
Another bright morning to enjoy! Wheel out the fixed and set off pedalling to and through that corner of Leeds that is forever Holbeck. Along Water Lane, Great Wilson Street and cross the Aire at Crown Point Bridge. The only river to cross today, though later on I crossed Cock Beck and I have seen a copy of a seventeenth century map that calls it the River Cock. So, maybe a two river ride.

Anyway, pedal up to the Clock at Oakwood, past the unused park gates and that stiff climb to the Ring Road along the A 58. Turn right on Red Hall Lane, and continue, Skeltons Lane to Thorner Lane and turn right there. Turn left onto the A 64 for a short stretch then right onto Station Road, leading to Scholes. The road is not straight, but stay on it to Barwick, where I forgot to turn on the camera, through the village and down the hill to the watercourse that might have two names. Across, up the hill and the next place is Aberford. A left turn crosses the beck again, followed by quite a distance to the roundabout which takes the A 64 over the A 1M and gives me a road to ride to Bramham. Where the breeze becomes obvious. The trip from there to Thorner is often a bit of a grind, even the flat bits seem uphill and with the wind in your face, well, maybe I am not as fit as I would like to think . . .

Out of Thorner, Sandhills should be a doddle, and finish the circle at the end of Skeltons Lane again. There is no other convenient ride home, so Boot Hill, but going down ( yippeeee!!! ) and the usual interesting ride along Roundhay Road, eventually to Crown Point Bridge again and after just better than thirty miles, my own front door. Smiles for a good ride.

The map.

15062017.jpg

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Another bright morning to enjoy! Wheel out the fixed and set off pedalling to and through that corner of Leeds that is forever Holbeck. Along Water Lane, Great Wilson Street and cross the Aire at Crown Point Bridge. The only river to cross today, though later on I crossed Cock Beck and I have seen a copy of a seventeenth century map that calls it the River Cock. So, maybe a two river ride.

Anyway, pedal up to the Clock at Oakwood, past the unused park gates and that stiff climb to the Ring Road along the A 58. Turn right on Red Hall Lane, and continue, Skeltons Lane to Thorner Lane and turn right there. Turn left onto the A 64 for a short stretch then right onto Station Road, leading to Scholes. The road is not straight, but stay on it to Barwick, where I forgot to turn on the camera, through the village and down the hill to the watercourse that might have two names. Across, up the hill and the next place is Aberford. A left turn crosses the beck again, followed by quite a distance to the roundabout which takes the A 64 over the A 1M and gives me a road to ride to Bramham. Where the breeze becomes obvious. The trip from there to Thorner is often a bit of a grind, even the flat bits seem uphill and with the wind in your face, well, maybe I am not as fit as I would like to think . . .

Out of Thorner, Sandhills should be a doddle, and finish the circle at the end of Skeltons Lane again. There is no other convenient ride home, so Boot Hill, but going down ( yippeeee!!! ) and the usual interesting ride along Roundhay Road, eventually to Crown Point Bridge again and after just better than thirty miles, my own front door. Smiles for a good ride.

The map.

View attachment 357227

Nice day for it @Old jon - and you're quite right, you did cross two rivers: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cock_Beck

:okay:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
A cheeky mid-week day off work, everything done that I needed to do and the sun in the sky? It must be time for a ride!

I only had an hour, so it was never going to be an epic, but it was good to get some miles under the wheels even if it was over territory so familiar that I almost don't need to steer the bike.

Coal Road, Skeltons Lane and down the lumpy bumpy road that is Sandhills (aka Van Zyl Hill) into Thorner.
Through the village and left onto Milner Lane for that sharp hill up onto the ridge and a wind assisted waft along to Holme Farm Lane and into East Rigton, through the dip and up the other side through Rigton Green and right up onto Bramham Lane, which was almost as deserted as usual until I met a campervan coming the other way! Blimey, it must have been rush hour. :laugh:
Anyway, we squeezed past each other and it was on around the corner, across Jewitt Lane and up onto Thorner Lane where I turned right back to Milner Lane and then retraced my earlier route back towards Thorner, stopping for a quick photo or two:
IMG_20170615_150204783_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170615_150306066_HDR.jpg

Back in the saddle and back down to Thorner, where I decided to tackle Sandhills the less easy way - uphill. My logic was that I'd have the wind behind me, making it a bit easier. I didn't. It was in my chops pretty much all the way up the hill...:rolleyes:

Anyway, I eventually reached the top and turned right onto Skeltons Lane where there was another traffic jam as a truck driver couldn't decide where he was going and managed to block the road. Anyay, after a minute or two we were all off again (still into the wind...).

Then it was just Coal Road and down onto local roads to home.

14.06 miles (22.62km) in 1h 2m at an average of 13.6mph, with 672ft climbed and a maximum temperature of 22.0°C although it felt a lot warmer at times.

Things I've taken from today - that wind was a pain, again. Blustery and somehow in my face for most of the ride regardless of the direction I was riding in.
I saw a couple of bright yellow birds out around Bramham Lane - possibly Yellow Wagtails? First time I've seen them.
And while they were familiar roads, mid-week traffic is a very different beast to that on a weekend morning. While most drivers were OK, I swear some of them were trying to kill me. :dry:

Still, it's all miles on the bike, there were a few cyclists out there and I set a PB down Sandhills so it's all good. And here's a map:
15062017.JPG

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Todays ride, actually posted today!
With the forecast looking good for the day, I thought I'd pop out for a few miles. Well, it turned out to be a bit longer than a few as I had no chores, or grandkid collections, to do, so I made decided to most of it :smile:

After a pedal though Orlingbury and Broughton, I stopped to check out a nearby Trig Point. From there, it was a lovely series of rolling lanes and quiet narrow roads. Hardly any cars around, and only a couple of other cyclists passed by.

IMG_2069.png

And a proper wood signpost!

Eventually, I got a bit thirsty and stopped at the Buddhist Centre, in Kelmarsh, for cake and coffee (Well, I doubted that I'd get a bacon sarnie :ohmy: )

IMG_2062.JPG

IMG_2067.png

I don't think I've ever sat on such a wonky table... I had use my backpack to stop my plate of lemon drizzle cake from sliding off :laugh:

Must be a zen thing...

Anyway, once I'd completed a loop I was planning, I dropped back onto the Brampton Valley Way as an easy way home.

IMG_2074.JPG

The entrance to the Kelmarsh Tunnel, with light at the other end.

Working on a two stop strategy, I called in at the newish cafe near Chapel Brampton for a drink. There were 4 or 5 people outside, eating rolls and drinking tea, but they informed me that the cafe was closed as they were doing some work on it :sad:. Happily, and pleasantly, one of the chaps asked if I'd like a cold drink and opened the fridge and grabbed the cold can of my choice.
"How much do I owe you?" said I. "Nothing" said he " It's on the house!" Don't get that often, eh?!

As I was nearing 50 miles, I thought I might as well get a metric century in, so changed direction a bit and headed homewards via the south of the town.

Back home on 64 miles, in mainly sunny weather, but with about an hour of cloudiness and a couple of spots of rain. The wind was more blustery than I remember the forecast saying, but at least it blew me the last miles home!
Cracking day out. ^_^

https://www.strava.com/activities/1037888290

:smile:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Mrs 26 and I met Rich B and Sara P at Newland. Mrs 26 had to get back so headed off for a short one while we three took to the run around the northern flanks of the hills to head south for Coddington Cross where Pete M was waiting. On down for Peg's Farm Pete suggested a change of plan. Instead of Ledbury we would head over for The Nest. Sara was planning on heading back early so off she went as we took to the Munsley lump. Pots of tea and cake all round set us up for our return.

We took the run along Falcon Lane which was new to Rich. This leads us out to Tillers Green eventually where Rich was back on familiar tarmac. Now we were rounding the southern flanks of the hills to take to the standard Castlemorton lanes. Pete headed for the Wyche cutting while Rich and I completed a nice wee ride by taking the Guarlford route home.

Another pleasant day to be out on two wheels and the companionship was superb too. 47 smiles

Last edited:
Going out later but here was Wednesday's ride

Still some stiffness in the legs from Sunday's Club ride.
However still did some hardish intervals round the usual roads between Chertsey and Thorpe., then loopedback via Ottershaw
Man thing in the heat was to keep moving and keep drinking

27.7 miles at average of 16.8 mph
Flattish course so 623 feet climbed

https://www.strava.com/activities/1035974825

Still awaiting the arrival of the New Titatnium bike - imminent, maybe not in time for the Sportive Sun week

Spartak