Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Having missed a Sunday ride, did one today

Wanted some hills, so went to do Leith Hill and White Down.

Went via weybridge, Chobham East Horsley,
First hill was a B road and Green Dene
Down Combe Lane, and up second hill at Holmbury St Mary

Then Leith Hill, seemed less hard than previously, then up White Down.
At the false flat after the easier first part, rear wheel felt spongy, it was well down.
Changed the inner tube even though I could not find a hole.

Ascent of White Down was stil tough. But having stopped, no records, but felt I was going ok

After that had a bit of bother couldn't seem to get Garmin navigation going right, so improvised through Effingham, Ockham, and Ripley.

Lots of signs out warning of closed roads for the RideLondon 100.
53.58 miles @ 14.0 mph

Did a PB up Leith Hill,a surprise really was riding conservatively.
https://www.strava.com/activities/1076735187

Last edited:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....

Then Leith Hill, seemed less hard than previously, then up White Down.
At the false flat after the easier first part, rear wheel felt spongy, it was well down.
Changed the inner tube even though I could not find a hole.

Ascent of White Down was stil tough. But having stopped, no records, but felt I was going ok

After that had a bit of bother couldn't seem to get Garmin navigation going right, so improvised through Effingham, Ockham, and Ripley.

Lots of signs ou warning of closed roads for the RideLondon 100.
53.58 miles @ 14.0 mph

Looked like quite a nice route, one I may borrow as not done 3 of those hills

Simontm

Veteran

I came through Albury a couple of years back and, because I didn't know better, thought of that's a straight route back over to Effingham. Cue some laughter from a couple of descending cyclists as I wheezed my way up Combe lane. :rolleyes:

I came through Albury a couple of years back and, because I didn't know better, thought of that's a straight route back over to Effingham. Cue some laughter from a couple of descending cyclists as I wheezed my way up Combe lane. :rolleyes:
Have been up Combe Lane a few times, including twice in a day..

Remember doing Combe Lane when there were 100s of cyclists on a sportive, for a change I was going past most of them they must have had a few miles under the belt

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
Woke up early, decided a ride would be a good idea. Didn't have any wetwear but it wasn't going to rain.

So I headed out, a route I'd tried before but had turned round early In the distance I could see it was raining, but it was a loong way away. I could certainly manage a bit more - then the rain reached me!

Quick turn around and ride as fast as I can from the rain, it kept up. I don't know how fast a shower travels, but this one was pacing me! What had been a brisk, if dull morning had become a wet, much duller morning. I considered using lights, but that would have required stopping! There wasn't much traffic around and I only saw one other cyclist, with whom a cheery "good morning" was exchanged.

2.JPG

9.09 miles max 14.7 avg 10.1 mph. Year to date, 210.5 miles, Target 500 miles

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
With rain forecast for 11 o'clock and work forecast for tonight, I headed out reasonably early, right into school run time. Avoided the worst of the traffic, and headed out to Windsor Great Park via the Wentworth estate just to see how the other half lives (in massive houses it would seem). No plan in mind, so looped around the back of the park, on the way back along Dukes Drive I found this lot, who quite correctly forecast the weather, or at least some of them did..
11th July 2017 WGP Cows.jpg

Out the park at Blacknest Gate before heading home via Sunningdale and Chobham.
A very enjoyable 33 miles, and it rained about 15 minutes after I arrived home.

Gareth C

Veteran
A short pootle up Weardale, a cafe stop, then a sprint back!

https://www.relive.cc/view/1075056785

img_2858.jpg
img_2857.jpg
img_2856.jpg
img_2855.jpg
img_2854.jpg
img_2853.jpg
img_2852.jpg
img_2850.jpg
img_2849.jpg
img_2846.jpg
img_2845.jpg
img_2844.jpg
img_2841.jpg
img_2840.jpg
img_2839.jpg

Old jon

Guru
Bright and shiny morning, daft not to make use of it, so I wheeled the fixed out and pointed it towards the towpath. Thirty minutes or so earlier than usual, the theory being I would miss the lunchtime joggers on the return route. Theories are not very good, are they?

One of my often ridden routes this morning, I really must ride this bike further, but the hills are so much steeper when you have only one gear. One day. Leave the canal at Viaduct Road and climb through Headingley and across the Ring Road. The first of the road work traffic lights was met soon after this, a few miles further on the second set were found in Bramhope. These gave me a really good long stop, grateful for this because a large ( or close ) Red Kite was drifting lazily around almost overhead. Wonderful!! On from there, past the puritan chapel and to the Dyneley Arms junction, where the descent of Pool Bank beckoned. Downhill on the fixed is err, different. And loads of fun. Turn left at the bottom and follow the road all the way into Otley. I had passed barearse about two miles back, difficult when avoiding the sight, but needs must . . .

Almost inevitably, I chose the A 660 for my return ride, revisiting the roadworks along the way, with no sight of the Kite for consolation this time. There were quite a lot of other riders around, which had me wondering. Monday’s ride was much quieter. Ah! The rain. And Ah! Again. The Tour. After turning right in Headingley and the drop into Kirkstall it was back on the towpath and proving the theory wrong. Popped out onto Water Lane for the dash ( ? ) through that little bit of Hunslet again and up the hill to home after 29 sunny and fun miles.

The route, inevitably

12072017.jpg

Today I really needed 6.2 miles for reasons that will follow. Got up very early from my hotel room in Ypres and went for a ride around town with my camera. Through the main squares,
View attachment 361119
where the Saturday market was just setting up,
View attachment 361120
over a few long stretches of cobbles and out through the impressive (and very moving) Menin Gate:
View attachment 361122
To clock up the required miles I nipped out of town along a smooth concrete cycle path through cabbage fields and past a reservoir out to the village of Zillebeke (where the churchyard contained a few Commonwealth war graves) and back again. Found my way back to the Menin Gate again:
View attachment 361123
and then back to the hotel .... which had this brilliant Lego reproduction in the foyer depicting the daily evening ceremony at the Menin Gate, complete with trumpeters at one end and bagpipers at the other:
View attachment 361125
Loved the fact that you can cycle the wrong way up all the one way streets in Ypres (the no entry signs all say that cyclists are "uitgezonderd"),
View attachment 361121
but didn't much enjoy the cobbles. Even after only 8 miles, I finished my ride with my forearms itching like mad from all the vibration. I was left wondering how all the locals manage to look so serene on their Dutch bikes. Anyway, mission accomplished, and even got back to bed for another hour's kip after a nice cold shower. Today was the last day of my only foreign holiday this year, so it was last chance saloon for hitting a particular target. At the 6.2 mile mark, I clocked up my 1,000th mile of overseas cycling in Europe since first taking my bike abroad with me in 2010. A big thank you to Mrs Donger for putting up with all my early morning disappearing acts over the years! I'm just amazed how the miles mount up so fast when you mostly do little 15-20 mile loops. I have to say I've loved every single one of those rides. Back to the normal schedule of club rides, local lanes and audaxes now.
Cheers, Donger.
Yes thank you Mrs Donger for also allowing him to entertain us all with tales of his adventures.

Woke up early, decided a ride would be a good idea. Didn't have any wetwear but it wasn't going to rain.

So I headed out, a route I'd tried before but had turned round early In the distance I could see it was raining, but it was a loong way away. I could certainly manage a bit more - then the rain reached me!

Quick turn around and ride as fast as I can from the rain, it kept up. I don't know how fast a shower travels, but this one was pacing me! What had been a brisk, if dull morning had become a wet, much duller morning. I considered using lights, but that would have required stopping! There wasn't much traffic around and I only saw one other cyclist, with whom a cheery "good morning" was exchanged.

View attachment 361557

9.09 miles max 14.7 avg 10.1 mph. Year to date, 210.5 miles, Target 500 miles
Blimey that's part of one of my regular rides I will keep an eye out for you .

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I'd discovered a new cafe so that was today's aim. To check it out. 4 of us today, Mrs 26, Steve E, Jules H and me. The morning had dawned grey and cold so we sported some warm clothing at the start. The forecast was for better and so it proved. It really did turn out lovely.

We took the standard run out around the northern end of the hills to climb to Acton Green. For a change we descended on the lane parallel to our usual one. Thence from Bishop's Frome to Burley Gate and on to Withington. Now we took an unusual dodge along Black Hole Lane. Watch out for the event horizon folks! We crossed the main road at Lugwardine for Larport on on passed the bridge at Mordiford to Lucksall and the cafe. It got the big thumbs up as we could sit and enjoy the riverside as the Wye flowed peacefully past.

We crossed the Wye and took to the quiet lanes southwards along the river for Hoarwithy where we crossed back to our home bank. We paused at Fawley Court (built 1600 - 1650) before taking another change of route to take a look at the thatched Brockhampton Churchhttp://www.brockhampton.com/church.htm.

We dodged across the mainish road and headed for Woolhope before looping down the valley to swing left and climb to the Marcle Ridge. Up here the views out over the valley to the Malverns and beyond were superb. We dropped off to pause at the Walwyn Arms for some much needed rehydration. Now we left the lumpy country behind our pace rose as we crossed the easy roads for Bromsberrow and the final run in through the standard Castlemorton lanes.

Now that was a lovely ride in some outstandingly stunning scenery. Little traffic in the lanes, lovely river views and super companions. What could be better? 72 smiles.

Top Bottom