Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Took the 'Dog' out for a 50 mile trip around Peterboring this morning.

Got stung on the head by a wasp that flew into one of the vents of my helmet and couldn't get out, so the damn thing got stroppy and stung me head !!!! lol

20170709_083320.jpg

shirokazan

Veteran
@Donger, I like the pictures. From the text, I assume that your wife wasn't cycling - did you just put the bike in the back of the car and take opportunities, as they arose, for a ride then?

shirokazan

Veteran
Got stung on the head by a wasp that flew into one of the vents of my helmet and couldn't get out, so the damn thing got stroppy and stung me head !!!!
I feel your pain. Thankfully, hasn't happened for a few years. <he said, thus tempting retribution from the goddess of wasps>

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
@Donger, I like the pictures. From the text, I assume that your wife wasn't cycling - did you just put the bike in the back of the car and take opportunities, as they arose, for a ride then?

My wife doesn't ride a bike, you are right. I think we've found the ideal solution, though. We always hire a gite, cottage or villa somewhere nice, either with a great view or with a pool. That way my wife is quite content for me to occasionally disappear for an hour or two some evenings. I also get up nearly every day at stupid o'clock in the morning while the missus is still asleep, and head off for a couple of hours in a loop. She has normally only just got up by the time I get home and hosed, and we have breakfast together admiring the view.

Over the years I've found some fantastic little places on my rides, and always take my wife back there when we go out in the car. I have sometimes stopped off for croissants from the boulangerie or even to book a place on the terrace at some nice looking restaurant for later in the day. It seems to be the perfect system that has minimal impact on my wife's holiday experience, while letting me clock up the miles (and the smiles) on my bike. I have one of those half width top boxes on the car, where I can stash all my cycling kit and paraphernalia, and there is room for a bike rack by its side on the roof. Never a problem on Eurotunnel or car ferries.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
My wife doesn't ride a bike, you are right. I think we've found the ideal solution, though. We always hire a gite, cottage or villa somewhere nice, either with a great view or with a pool. That way my wife is quite content for me to occasionally disappear for an hour or two some evenings. I also get up nearly every day at stupid o'clock in the morning while the missus is still asleep, and head off for a couple of hours in a loop. She has normally only just got up by the time I get home and hosed, and we have breakfast together admiring the view.

Over the years I've found some fantastic little places on my rides, and always take my wife back there when we go out in the car. I have sometimes stopped off for croissants from the boulangerie or even to book a place on the terrace at some nice looking restaurant for later in the day. It seems to be the perfect system that has minimal impact on my wife's holiday experience, while letting me clock up the miles (and the smiles) on my bike. I have one of those half width top boxes on the car, where I can stash all my cycling kit and paraphernalia, and there is room for a bike rack by its side on the roof. Never a problem on Eurotunnel or car ferries.

Well done @Donger for clocking up the miles:notworthy:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
13 miles today on a rather warm if somewhat overcast day. Much more sucessful day than Friday.:laugh: my usual jaunt down the lanes. Stopped and talked to a local cyclist from Mach who was standing on the bridge over the Dovey with his bike. He told me he had just seen a kingfisher going up and down the river. He said the flash of electric blue couldn't be missed, and that he had never seen one before. Neither have I, and i didn't see it today either. :laugh:

20170709_121544.jpg
20170709_121532.jpg
20170709_120708.jpg
20170709_121249.jpg

Freds Dad

Veteran
An early start this morning covering over 37 miles around the leafy lanes.
Starting in Gawsworth I headed over to Alderley Edge via Mottram and then down the back lanes to Mobberley and on to Knutsford. A quick peak at the McLaren showroom at cars I can't afford and a free coffee at Waitrose and then off towards Jodrell Bank where the Bluedot festival is taking place.
All the fields around the site are full of cars, tents, caravans and motorhomes, the local farmers must be making a few bob.
Back through Lower Withington and Marton and back to Gawsworth. A lovely ride out and lots of other cyclists around nod and smile to and some even reciprocated.

Screen Shot 2017-07-09 at 14.35.25.png

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1258

61 miles this morning, Skylark Farm the destination, I got up this morning and didn't feel like riding but forced myself out on my bike anyway, by the time I got to Staverton and and my coffee stop I was feeling more enthusiastic so when I left I turned right through the village and along the outskirts of Daventry through the industrial estate onto the A45 and at Willoughby turned back in the lanes and headed for home. It turned into a good morning on the bike and I'm glad I forced myself out but I seriously didn't feel like it first thing.

Skylark Farm Cafe Veiw.jpg

The view from the Cafe

Skylark Farm Chickens.jpg

Across the yard from the Cafe they've got the chicken shed's

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
Cracking ride today with a mate. 77 mile loop from Hemel, over the Chilterns & out to Thame, then Waddesdon, then looped back. The usual mix of lanes, B roads and hills. Stopped for coffee near Tring.
Edit* Just remembered I spotted a cyclist in a CycleChat jersey going the opposite direction near Long Marston
Screen Shot 2017-07-09 at 15.34.48.png

Screen Shot 2017-07-09 at 15.32.31.png

Last edited:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Still suffering from a summer cold that I've had all week, I was going stir-crazy, so decided to head out early for a local pootle before it got too hot. As a consequence of the cold, todays ride was powered by Max Strength Cold and Flu tablets, so none of todays times will officially count...;)

Anyway, up Coal Road and then onto Red Hall Lane, where despite the early hour the delicious aroma of a curry was wafting along the road :hungry:
A quick scoot along the A58 and onto Whin Moor Lane, passing a small group of cyclists who'd stopped for a comfort break, the onto Gateland Lane and the steady climb into Shadwell, up the hill down the other side and then the drag up to Slaid Hill lights where it was right again onto Wike Ridge Lane through the dip - it's still closed at the junction with Tarn Lane so I turned left there along the ridge all the way to Brandon Lane for the quick descent back into Shadwell, before a tight left and the sharp climb back up to the A58, and straight across onto Carr Lane for familiar lumpiness before the descent all the way into Thorner.
Left on Main Street past the church where they were ringing the bells again (they do this quite often as I pass...:whistle:) and left again onto Milner Lane for that sharp climb onto the ridge past the stables where the paddock was full of 4x4's, caravans and tents today instead of the usual horses, then along the ridge with the breeze behind me, seeing no-one but a jogger and a cyclist heading the opposite way until I started to drop down into East Rigton, then Rigton Green and onto the old stalwart, Bramham Lane for the deserted swoop between the hedgerows. Just before the S-bend there was another cyclists heading the opposite way so a quick hello and it was back to the usual solitude, crossing Jewitt Lane and climbing up to Thorner Lane.

Right here and by 'eck was it getting hot now, so I stopped at the next gate for a drink and a couple of photos:

IMG_20170709_084919077.jpg
IMG_20170709_085013706.jpg
IMG_20170709_085019540_BURST000_COVER.jpg

Back on the bike and back to Milner Lane, retracing my earlier route back into Thorner, down the hill and through the village.
Not fancying tackling Van Zyl Hill today, it was back onto Carr Lane for the climb out of the village, stopping at the top of the climb in the shade for another drink and some more pics:

IMG_20170709_090751462.jpg
IMG_20170709_090827818.jpg

Down the hill :hyper: round the S-bends and then the lumpy but generally climbing wend back up to the A58 :bicycle:
Left here for the half mile scoot along to Coal Road and it's another climb up another sharp little hill before it levels out and I eventually turn onto local roads and down to home.

So, a steady but enjoyable 19.19 miles (30.88km) in a steady 1h 23m at an average of 13.8mph, with just 928ft climbed. Lots of other cyclists out, including a couple of reasonably sized club rides, all friendly and enjoying the sunshine and not a single nobber driver to be seen. :okay: A ride that was so enjoyable that not even my 'new' (purchased 1st June) Boardman gloves starting to come apart along the seam could take the shine off it.

Then it was time to give the bike a quick once over, including a thorough mickle of the chain in frankly excessive temperatures :sun:
IMG_20170709_110603962.jpg

I know it's in the sun, but that's where I was so it still counts ;)
Shortly afterwards, I noticed that the thermometer was reading 49 degrees and I was all ready to take another pic as it hit 50, but it just changed to read "Hi", which is no fun at all...:rolleyes:

And finally, a map - which today looks rather like an emu...or is it an ostrich? :scratch:
09072017.JPG

Last edited:
I had intended simply meeting up with a few of Wakefield Triathlon Club this morning, & help out on their beginners/'improvers' ride, before peeling off, to go up to Roman Ridge Road, to see 60103 'Flying Scotsman' come past, on a charter run

WTC plan was; Castleford > Barnsdale Road > Allerton Bywater cross-roads > Newton Lane > Fairburn village > over 'old A1 > Lunnfield Lane > Burton Salmon > Hillam > Birkin Café

But.... my own Club was departing from nearby (by Bridge Motorcycles), & they passed us on Lock Lane, at a fair lick as I was sat at the back, so I left WTC, & jumped across the 200 yards to 'FRC'
They were rolling along at a nice speed, along Barnsdale Road (A656), so I stayed, I did expect a charge up 'Mary Pannall', but no, as they turned off at the top towards Kippax

I carried on, past the remains of Ledston Luck colliery, passing over the roundabout at Peckfield Bar, where the (A63) Leeds - Selby turnpike intersects it (as some of the mileposts have it named on them!)
Eg; this is near Monk Fryston
North Yorkshire Scenes. South Milford. Milestone. 1.JPG
Coming to Roman Ridge Bridge, there was 5 others there, already waiting
It was about 10 minutes late, so after smelling the steam & hot oil one last time, back on the bike
Up slightly further along Ridge Road, turn right into Micklefield, to get onto the old Great North Road^_^

Back south, along this famous route, rejoining the dual-carriagewayed (old) A1, at 'Boot & Shoe' junction (now just a roundabout, not the flyover, for southbound traffic - but the embankment is still there!!)
Down the A1, to Selby Fork, as it was known, when the A63, quite literally was that, as it left the A1

Over the new A1, & onto the A63
Over the 'Tadcaster Turnpike' (A162 Brotherton - Tadcaster), & into Monk Fryston, passing the gorgeous Hall, & the thatched cottage on the corner

Right turn, onto Water Hill, towards the back lanes & Birkin
A bit of effort, as I knew that I'd possibly intersect with WTC, at some point after the Cross Keys in middle of Hillam

I'd keep seeing odd riders in front, & managed to catch/pass a couple. but no group
However, just as I got into the village, I caught them, just as they turned off Roe Lane, onto Haddlesey Road
Felt quite pleased with myself, even though they were a slower group, as I'd gone a lot further, & waited a while at the bridge

A very busy café, with a lot of Clubs represented;
Barnsley Road Club
Ravensthorpe CC
Knottingley Velo
etc.....
even, one rider from my own Club!

I left them eating cake, & headed off, via Birkin Lane, towards Byram & Knottingley
Down the 'old' A1, to the Knottingley-Pontefract- Wakefield road (A645)
Through Pontefract, with that appalingly surfaced little drag, near PGI, into Featherstone

Off at Streethouse, through there, & onto the wonderfully named Hell Lane!
(used as part of the route of a Wakefield CC road-race)

Onto the 'conservation village' of Heath, as there was a classic car (& bus) show there
http://www.heathresidentsassociation.co.uk/

DSCF3468.JPG DSCF3469.JPG DSCF3473.JPG

Then back home, in time for a bottle of SuperMalt:biggrin:

Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
Set out this morning with no plans other than do more than 50 miles and be at nice pies cafe for 1045 to meet big sis . As a recent veloviewer explorer convert I decided to head out to Melton Mowbray and bag a few squares . Took my normal route out to the Wreake valley Anstey ,Cropston ,Rothley ,Cossington ,Ratcliffe on the Wreake and Hoby where the first dead end road was riden to bag a square. Ragdale and a quick visit to the health spa at Ragdale hall to get another square :whistle: .Out towards Melton on the A606 turn off at Asfordby valley and took Welby lane and swung right to the edge of Melton .Took the rolling route to Nether Broughton which meant going down Broughton hill ^_^ maxed out at 43 mph :okay: to Upper Broughton a couple more dead ends for squares and onto Nice pies ,Big sis pasted me half a mile from cafe so coffee was on the table when I got there ^_^ was going to have the lemon and pear cake but a couple of greedy cyclists had cleared it up over the last couple of days :mrpig:. So I settled for my staple beans on toast . While sitting chatting my wahoo bolt bleeped to say only 13% charge I thought should be enough to get home .Non direct route home Wymwold ,Rempstone , Hoton ,Loughborough on to my commuting route home via Barrow ,Mountsorrel ,Rothley ,Cropston and Anstey . Climbing the last hill the wahoo bolt shut down ,oh dear I thought home plugged into charger and got message recoverying ride ^_^ got all the data back 68.6 miles in the bag it automatically uploaded to strava but for some reason it only uploaded the first 14 miles so only 1 new square recorded t being at all techy I cannot figure out how to get the wahoo to tell strava the full ride data ?. Apart from the GPS unit issue a great ride in near perfect conditions and as I still missing squares I will have to repeat it . Memo to self charge your GPS

Top Bottom