Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mark st1

Plastic Manc
My third outiing in three years on a night ride from Yorkshire to London.
We (@rb58 , @ianrauk ,@Mark Grant ,@iLB ,@Trickedem and postie Mark, whose CC id I don't know) left Doncaster train station just before midnight last night bound for Liverpool Street, deemed to be exactly 200 miles away.
The route is almost panflat for 155 miles (save for a little hump into Lincoln city), and propelled by Andy's 27mph legs we covered the distance rapidly.
The final 45 miles into London are (for me at any rate) painfully and relentlessly rolling. Here I must express my sincere thanks to @ianrauk , who seeing me struggling, dropped back to provide assistance as only Ian knows how; 'Dig in, Chas'!
Hugely appreciated.
The only incident of note was probably due to a momentary loss of concentration on my part. Coming up to some lights, I failed to respond quickly to a move on Ross' part, we touched wheels and down we both went. No real damage done other than a little road rash.
Disused railway lines, now cycle tracks, a road ruler straight for ten miles, and a crazily leaning church tower (Surfleet) were just some of the highlights for me. I'm sure others Will add more together with some photos ( I can never get pics to load on here).
Usual range of nighttime wildlife seen, a hare in a hurry, a suicidal badger crossing the road, and later in 33° heat of the afternoon lots of swooping swifts.
As I said earlier this ride was FAST.
On my Garmin, 201.65 miles, 988m of ascent and a respectable average speed of 16.3mph.
Looking at the Garmin track from last year, we actually took 37 minutes off the time.
Finally, my thanks (and apologies) to Ross for organising the ride, and to everyone else for the company.

236 miles for me.
This is something that I wouldn't even consider doing alone but when in a small friendly, supportive group it's amazing what you can achieve!
@iLB is fast! He dragged me along on his wheel for miles!

Further to what @CharlieB and @Mark Grant said above.
Last night was the 4th running of our annual ride from Doncaster to home. We get a train to Donny from Kings Cross on the friday night, off the train, out of the station and head south for home

There were 7 of us this year. Myself, @Trickedem @rb58, @iLB , the above two gentlemen and Mr @mark st1

We left Doncaster at midnight with a tiny bit of drizzle in the air, but that soon cleared to leave a very mild night of cycling. No jacket's or arm warmers were needed. With a very nice tailwind and the demon that it @iLB leading from the front at times. It made for very rapid progress. At times a little too rapid. :ohmy:^_^

This really has turned into a classic ride. And it couldn't have gone any better last night.

So scores on the doors. 25 mile cycle to Kings Cross Station and 226 Doncaster to home. It's not really as much as 226, but it meant I would have a cycle ride of 250 miles. The furthest I have cycled by nearly 30 miles.

So thanks to all the chaps for making this ride an awesome yearly event.
Roll on next year.

So, scores on the doors.
250 miles. July's Imperial Century Challenge ride done.
View attachment 361077

The gang at 4am, sunrise just around the corner.
View attachment 361078

@Trickedem
View attachment 361079

@mark st1 with his sooper cycling tan
View attachment 361080

@iLB 's and a lucky cow.
View attachment 361081

Charlie B
View attachment 361082

Well, I am absolutely, right royally knackered.
Beer and choccy cake is helping.

A cracking ride with these above named legends.
https://www.strava.com/activities/1073923197/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-US&v=1499540981

236 miles for me if you include my little spin from Paddington to Kings Cross via Regents Park on the way

https://www.strava.com/activities/1072388138/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-US&v=1499458567

That's 238.4 miles with my previous best being 154 miles I'm more than happy with that. Unfortunately I'm now 3 different tan shades of White Brown and Red. Thanks to all who arranged and helped along the way. Top folks the lot of ya :notworthy:

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Today's theme for a lumpy Mendip Transmitter 110 Audax
IMG_0834.JPG

IMG_0835.JPG

Glow worm

Legendary Member
The end of my mini tour of south NL and north Belgium. Two days of rides, first, yesterday's from Baarle Nassau to the Hook of Holland (72 miles)

IMG_2101.JPG

These two overtook me early doors as I crossed back into Belgium. They then slowed right down so it was a bit awkward deciding whether to overtake them and risk looking like bit of a competetive male bar steward or to ease up and enjoy the ride. I chose the latter option and after about 6 miles, at the umpteenth border crossing, I went a different way.

IMG_2100.JPG

Back in NL and passed though a beautiful remote area of heathland and empty roads near Casselre.

Then it was back into Belgium and through a grim place with a crap cycle path called Minderhout and then Meer (avoid) I didn't even stop until finally back in NL near Sprundle.

IMG_2099.JPG

After several more pleasant miles it was back over the Hollands Diep on a huge bridge.

IMG_2102.JPG

Through soulless Spijkenisse (avoid) along miles of path like above.

IMG_2105.JPG

Miles of industry etc until finally reaching Niew Waterweg that I think goes to Rotterdam from the Hook.

IMG_2107.JPG

A small ferry crossing at Massluis and then the final 8 miles or so to The Hook.

IMG_2109.JPG

Got to the port way too early so headed up the coast a bit to the beach at s-Gravensande.

IMG_2112.JPG

Finally on the ferry to watch the sunset and later an amazing full moon on the water. 78 miles in total.

Today rode from Harwich to home, 61.3 miles. Met some great folk near Sudbury from Boxford Cycling Club who slowed down for a chat as they passed, asking about my trip- really nice bunch and provided me with enough inspiration to manage the last 30 or so miles!

Attachments

• IMG_2099.JPG
    IMG_2099.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I got out for a ride with my brother today, :dance:for his first ride for about two months.

We started off on very familiar roads heading for Condover, Cantlop, Pitchford and Acton Burnell. Doug set off at quite a good pace considering the lack of rding so far this year. We had our first drink stop with a view of Concord College then headed on through Cound Moor, taking a right onto the road to Cressage then a left to Harnage. We hit our top speed of the trip (29.2 for me) on the descent into Cound then had a lumpy section through Eaton Mascott, Berrington and Boreton where I missed an opportunity as Doug went charging through the ford while I used the bridge - if I'd gone on ahead it would have made a good photo.

Doug was getting a little tired and saddle sore by the end of the trip but has already suggested a recovery ride tomorrow so it hasn't put him off.

19.6 miles at 11.4 mph average.

DSC0004740.jpg

Drink stop by Concord College.

DSC0004742.jpg

Cottage near Harnage.

DSC0004744.jpg

Taking in the view of the Wrekin.

DSC0004746.jpg

Edwardian mock Tudor at Cound.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
7 miles this day, rather warm and humid, and, as usual, we are the breeziest place in Central Illinois. I think most of the cyclists got out in the morning. Trek 500 did well, but narrower tires are called for, i shall run by the Co-Op next Saturday, (hopefully avoiding the Facet Biotour I know they have).
86F, 30C
Winds SW14
Relative Humidity 55%
Barometer 30.00 1017.0 mb.
This weather will probably continue for much of July, and the early part of August.

Today's theme for a lumpy Mendip Transmitter 110 Audax
View attachment 361282

That is a brilliant name!, is it?

There's this one, just off the A63 (Leeds-Selby) road between its junction with the 'new' A1, & the (A162) 'Tadcaster Turnpike'
My running club buddy, Pat, offers her version of why it was named
2013. Ride 1. 5.JPG

I presume the origination is more archery practice orientated?

rugby bloke

Veteran
As I am away next weekend, it meant that yesterday was a matter of braving the humidity and putting in one final long ride before RideLondon ... Set off West into town , which included the dire shared cycle path along Mereway. When I got to Hunsbury Hill I had a quick check of the tyres to make sure they had not picked up any of the broken glass that had been generously spread around the path. Then it was out past Milton Malsor and through Stoke Bruene and Ashton, before swinging south through Hanslope and past the secret squirrel installation. After crossing the Newport Pagnall road I turned off to Fillgrave and made my first break for an apple bar and a chance to enjoy the view. Suitably refreshed it was time for a lumpy section from Emberton through Tuvey and Felmersham before crossing the river and turning left to Odell. I used to hate this section going West, but riding it Eastwards it is an enjoyable few miles, a decent road surface and lots of quick descents. By now I decided my new saddle was definitely not set up correctly as saddle soreness was creeping in. Telling myself to man up I got my head down on the pull from Harold up the Bozeat turn. On familiar territory now, I passed through Easton Maudit and a welcome coffee break at Castle Ashby.

50 miles in, feeling ok, apart from the backside. Average speed hanging around the low 15s, which is par for the course. I drained my water and refilled at the cafe, before steeling myself for the final 25 miles. The big test came up soon enough - Doddington Hill - hardly a mountain but one of the big climbs in the area. I normally reach it after 8 miles, so 58 was always going to be a challenge. Got to the top in reasonable style, backside really complaining now. Mears Ashby, Sywell and Holcott passed by, still feeling strong and it was time to head home. Got a nasty attack on hot foot riding through Moulton so gave the feet a break outside the CoOp. The glamour of cycling ! Starting to notice the heat by now as I rapidly worked my way through my second bottle of water. The temporary traffic lights on the Overstone Road provided the only unpleasant car interaction of the day. As I joined the queue of cars waiting at the lights I gave myself a couple of yards behind the car in front to allow space to get going. A nobber in a Focus ST then drives right up alongside me. I shake my head in mild bewilderment, he responds with "O Sorry, do you want the whole farking road or something ?". I reply by pointing out that I just want a yard of space so I can set off safely but to be honest I think it was lost on him. He then sets off in a show of wheel spins etc, to then spend the next couple of miles stuck behind the car in front. But each to their own.

No more incidents to report and I finally roll home after 76 hot and sweaty miles. Apart from the saddle, the bike feels good. A bit of fettling this week, it looks like it might benefit from being moved slightly forward and slightly tilted upwards.

upload_2017-7-10_13-42-37.png

A typically lumpy East Mids profile - not bike climbs but almost as much climbing as RideLondon !

Old jon

Guru
I wonder, is it OK to say that some things in life are just as much fun as cycling? Well, I have said it now. And I have spent nine days doing those other things in life.

That said, it was good to be out on the bike again. I had a ride in mind, nothing spectacular but I thought to take things a little easy. The weather fooled me, the rain had stopped when I wheeled the bike out but started again within a couple of miles, in fact before I crossed the river at Crown Point Bridge. Not even rain, more drizzle. Regent Street ( yes, Leeds has its own ), Roseville Road and Roundhay Road to the clock at Oakwood and past the unused park gates to reach the bottom of Boot Hill. Reaching the top still takes some effort but eventually it ends. Turn right onto Red Hall Lane, Skeltons Lane and one of the Thorner Lanes, Sandhills and the ride through the village.

It is a while since I have ridden up Church Hill, so I left the village that way and rode along to Bramham, where I took the road south to the crossroads of that name. A roundabout these days, by ‘eck I am old. The Aberford turn this time, and once across the beck, the right turn for Barwick in Elmet, after a bit of up and downery. Through Scholes to the A 64 and along that for a few hundred yards until the right onto Thorner Lane again. Back to the A 58, down the hill is just as quick as ever and then the wander across Leeds to Hunslet, up and out of there and the mileage just ticked over thirty as I reached the end of the street. Good ride again.

A map. Thank you Garmin.

10072017.jpg

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Doug and I did get the ride in to keep his legs loose. Just a short one into town and through The Quarry.

I took the Raleigh as a test run to see if I'd cured the squealing back brake. I hadn't so there were a couple of stops for further adjustment.

After leaving the riverside by the weir we had a bit of entertainment when we found our way blocked by a dutch artic that was stuck down one of the narrow streets in Castlefields (here). It meant a detour round the block for us as there was no way past then we watched the fun as he found that the next corner was even tighter. We didn't see the outcome as some showers started rolling in so we headed for home.

9.7 miles at a leisurely 10.5 mph average.

Sorry no pictures today, not even of the stuck lorry (I missed the best chance of getting a decent photo).

Yesterday's ride

https://www.relive.cc/view/g12784550971

I was going for a 40 miler into the South Downs, but it was too humid for my liking, plus I was a bit knackered after yesterday's hill course, so I cut the ride short and made it 20 odd miles instead.

IMG_4914.JPG

Lovely, but very humid afternoon

IMG_4916.JPG

Best place to be, a lovely little beer garden, with a cold one.

IMG_4924.JPG

Early evening food stop, at a restaurant on a pond.

IMG_4925.JPG

It was very humid, so being by the water was nice.

IMG_4926.JPG

The ducks came to see what was going on.

Very humid ride with knackered legs, but ultimately very nice.:thumbsup:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Fancied somewhere new today and been meaning to head out towards Deepcut for some time, so a 35 mile route plotted this morning. Out through the usual territory of Lyne and Chobham, the new roads through Lightwater which is where I found a couple of cheeky hills, the one on Red Road just kept giving but was a steady rise so nice to be able to settle into a pace. Left at the top and down through Deepcut Village before heading into the woods onto some of the best roads I've been on for ages, smooth tarmac, rolling rises and falls, absolutely smashing. Planned to return home to clock up 35 miles, but detoured slightly at Chobham on the way home, then again at Thorpe, so ended today on 50.5 miles. A great route I'll do again, or at least parts of it. Here's one of them relive things..

https://www.relive.cc/view/1076621507

And a picky of some trees
10th July 2017 WGP Trees.jpg

Simontm

Veteran
Popped out for a bimble as my mum used to say. Up through Chessington, Ewell, edge of Epsom when I saw a sign for Ashtead and a Surrey cycle path. Considering where it came out I needn't of bothered as I basically swapped smooth tarmac for a kangaroo ride at some points :laugh:.
Ashtead to Boxhill where I shocked myself in overtaking someone. As I passed I said 'I hate this hill.' And as i was taking this picture, he passed saying 'Well at least the view's great."
IMG_3843.JPG

Before overtaking him again further down, a youngster overtook me causing me to accuse himself of cheating. When he asked why, I said: 'You're at least 10 stone lighter than me' causing him to laugh. Bloody kids with their whippet-like athleticism ^_^
Still unsure of the bike downhill on country bends even though I was hitting 30mph according to Strava through the turnoff to Leatherhead. No such problems on the mad mile past the golf course where it was head down and go for it, although I did slow slightly when a crosswind hit me unexpectedly - damned carbon, too light that's their problem ;)
Through Leatherhead and back over to the Maldon Rushett speedathon (although most drivers were good for a change) and a quick bomb up over Hook and the Ace of Spades and down the hill to home.
30miles, 2 hrs
FullSizeRender.jpg

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Lovely sunny but windy day today. Time to see how things are after that bug. My legs wouldn't behave for the first few miles but they got the idea in the end. I just rode this one on feel today. No heroics although the middle ring didn't see much action at all. I took in the Woolridge climb to see the views from up there. The air was very clear indeed. Wonderful views. I felt things begin to sag a bit as I began the last 15. But that passed as I rode in fairly strongly at the end. Super outing today for sure. 48 smiles

Not posted much here lately but have managed to actually get out again for a few rides (weird that now I'm working in a bike shop I've actually been riding less:wacko:)

Anyhoo got out yesterday with the club Sunday ride which was basically me,5 regular tiers and an ex Uk vet champ so I knew it was going to 'hack-on' a bit:bicycle:

Still a good ride although I did flag a bit at times but a nice nippy 100k;out via Cottenham,then Willingham,Swavesey,Boxworth,Bourne,Comberton,Burwash Manor for tea and cake then back via Madingly,Oakington and Cottenham again before a little loop of Ely.

So 102.4kms at a 30.2 kmh average and well pleased with it despite my relative lack of time on the bike and keeping that pace means it's a good reason to think about proper carbon aero wheels.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1075079535

Top Bottom