Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Just recovering from a dreadful bug but I had to go on this one. Steve E had called Newent and Sara P was in too. Over at the Pot Margaret PR and Pete M were keen. Lovely day for it for sure. Ideal cycling temperature with blue skies as well. We took the very traditional run through the Castlemorton lanes with a slight change by Hillend. The views today were super. Steve was confused about our turn after Pendock so I sorted that for him. Then my brain nav was required again before Upleadon and again after. But now the scent of coffee had Steve back in charge.

The cafe had two other cycling groups present. The ladies group from Cheltenham were having fun while a smaller group from Ledbury had some lovely bikes on show. We took our time and eventually got under way again. Steve hesitated at the turn for Gorsely so we rode that way through an almost dry ford to climb the steep but short one through Dymock woods. Now we were back on the usual route by Ryton and Bromsberrow. Sara peeled off for Ledbury and home while we four aimed at The Farmer's Arms and some beer. That took a while to chat some more but we eventually saddled up and did the last few miles for home.

Nice wee social outing and just the thing for my recovery. I was lacking some strength on the up slopes but a bit more sensible riding should get me back to normal. Let's home this lovely weather stays. 53 smiles

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
IMG_1070.JPG
IMG_1073.JPG
IMG_1074.JPG
IMG_1076.JPG
IMG_1084.JPG
IMG_1097.JPG
IMG_1107.jpg

A ride in my favourite part of the world, The Yorkshire Dales, Wensleydale & Swaledale to be exact. Starting off in Middleham headed up to Leyburn then climbed up and over Grinton Moor descending towards Grinton, past Grinton Youth Hostel where i once stayed for a few nights whilst on a Geography field trip from school. Headed towards Fremington and stopped at The Dales Bike Centre for a coffee where they were hosting The Nutcracker MTB race.
The bike centre is a great place to stop for coffee & cake if you are ever in the area.
Continued back to Grinton and headed to Richmond on the road which pretty much follows the River Swale.
From Richmond to Catterick Garrison and on to Patrick Brompton. Right
at the cross roads and 8 miles into a strong head wind back to Leyburn. I then dropped down into the Village of Wensley and followed the road by The River Ure back to Middleham.
Just over 38 miles in total with nearly 2900ft of climbing. Beautiful day and a fab ride.

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I thought about a longish ride today but various things delayed me getting out so I settled for something shorter instead.

I grabbed the knockabout bike and to start with headed up Lyth Hill and along the track to the top then the bridleway down the other side. I haven't been this way for a while and the track is as rough as ever while the bridleway I think has got rougher which made it interesting descending the steep bit to Exfords Green.

I stuck with a bit more bridleway before joining the tarmac again to head up Long Lane then up to Oaks. From there I took my usual way through Wrentnall but then headed for Habberley which I haven't been to for a long time. I took a left in the village and ignoring the turn for Eastridge headed up a lane that's new to me. @gavgav suggested I go this way ages ago as he knows I like a challenging climb and I haven't got round to it 'til now. The climb didn't disappoint - it's steeper and longer than you might expect from how it appears the map and surrounded by lovely scenery.:okay:

Reaching the end of the lane my original intention was to turn left, descend Cothercott Hill and make my way home. However, having got there I decided to go right and head for Bridges and my second climb over the Long Mynd this week.

The Horseshoe was busy when I got there. I resisted the temptation of a pint (heading to The Beacon later on :cheers:) and carried on through Ratlinghope and up the easy climb past Darnford and up to Robin Hood's Butts before descending via High Park to Picklescott.

There was a lot of downhill after this which was very enjoyable but spoiled a little bit by having to slow down for cars coming the other way. Got held up by the temporary traffic lights at Condover and slowed a bit afterwards by a headwind that sprang up out of nowhere.

28.3 miles at 11.4 mph average in some nice summer weather.:sun:

DSC0004719.jpg

Crossing Lyth Hill at the start.

DSC0004721.jpg

On the way to Habberley. (Just to confuse you the bike is pointing the wrong way. ;))

DSC0004723.jpg

Habberley

DSC0004724.jpg

At Westcott

DSC0004726.jpg

The Horseshoe at The Bridges.

DSC0004728.jpg

Climbing past Darnford.

DSC0004731.jpg

Long Mynd ponies again.

DSC0004732.jpg

Wild Moor Pool.

DSC0004733.jpg

The view from the top.

DSC0004739.jpg

Picklescott.

Last edited:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Today was supposed to be my day off the bike, but after the joys of Ikea this morning it was decided we needed to go into town for dog food. I insisted to SWMBO that we would not take the car, so blew the cobwebs off her bike and off we went. Home after 2.8 miles, first time on the bike for about a year for Mrs CB.
Mid afternoon I popped out to the garage to check the trike in readiness for a pedal tomorrow to find a flat rear tyre. New tube fitted, and 2.8 miles done to make sure all is well. I need a pump bracket for the trike, and a look online told me the LBS had stock, so off to Cycle Surgery. None in stock:rolleyes: Add that to the new Specialized BG gloves being different to the old ones (they've moved the padding), and it was rather a pointless trip. Still, bought my day up to over 15 miles, and the week to 215 so far.

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
My third outiing in three years on a night ride from Yorkshire to London.
We (@rb58 , @ianrauk ,@Mark Grant ,@iLB ,@Trickedem and postie Mark, whose CC id I don't know) left Doncaster train station just before midnight last night bound for Liverpool Street, deemed to be exactly 200 miles away.
The route is almost panflat for 155 miles (save for a little hump into Lincoln city), and propelled by Andy's 27mph legs we covered the distance rapidly.
The final 45 miles into London are (for me at any rate) painfully and relentlessly rolling. Here I must express my sincere thanks to @ianrauk , who seeing me struggling, dropped back to provide assistance as only Ian knows how; 'Dig in, Chas'!
Hugely appreciated.
The only incident of note was probably due to a momentary loss of concentration on my part. Coming up to some lights, I failed to respond quickly to a move on Ross' part, we touched wheels and down we both went. No real damage done other than a little road rash.
Disused railway lines, now cycle tracks, a road ruler straight for ten miles, and a crazily leaning church tower (Surfleet) were just some of the highlights for me. I'm sure others Will add more together with some photos ( I can never get pics to load on here).
Usual range of nighttime wildlife seen, a hare in a hurry, a suicidal badger crossing the road, and later in 33° heat of the afternoon lots of swooping swifts.
As I said earlier this ride was FAST.
On my Garmin, 201.65 miles, 988m of ascent and a respectable average speed of 16.3mph.
Looking at the Garmin track from last year, we actually took 37 minutes off the time.
Finally, my thanks (and apologies) to Ross for organising the ride, and to everyone else for the company.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Got my half century challenge ride bagged for the month, but should hopefully have a few more chances to get some bigger miles in July as well, after the rubbish last 2 months, illness permitting!

Warm and only a gentle breeze for the first time in what seems like months, as I took the Carbon on its hilliest ride so far. Began by heading to Betton, Berrington and Cound, then beginning the climb up Kenley Bank. It's a steep pull up there and the gearing means it's a stand on the pedals job, but set my fastest time up there so far and so that proves it's not all down to low gears to get you up a hill.

I then turned along the lumpy section to Church Preen, before dropping down to Gretton and a lunch stop. Passed through Cardington, where it was village fete day, before the long pull up Folly Bank. The descent to Comley was great fun on this bike, as I hit 33mph and continued to set a good pace to Longnor, Frodesley, Acton Burnell, Pitchford, Cantlop and Betton.

I hadn't quite got enough miles in the bag and so I looped through Sutton Farm estate, where I had the 1 numpty of the day, giving me a very close pass about 600 yards from home :thumbsdown:

31.6 miles at 12.8mph avg
Good luck on that. I've had one qualifying ride due to Mrs. GAs' illness and my own. I hope I can make it up on the back half of the year. Here's hoping for more miles !

Mark Grant

Acting Captain of The St Annes Jombulance.
My third outiing in three years on a night ride from Yorkshire to London.
We (@rb58 , @ianrauk ,@Mark Grant ,@iLB ,@Trickedem and postie Mark, whose CC id I don't know) left Doncaster train station just before midnight last night bound for Liverpool Street, deemed to be exactly 200 miles away.
The route is almost panflat for 155 miles (save for a little hump into Lincoln city), and propelled by Andy's 27mph legs we covered the distance rapidly.
The final 45 miles into London are (for me at any rate) painfully and relentlessly rolling. Here I must express my sincere thanks to @ianrauk , who seeing me struggling, dropped back to provide assistance as only Ian knows how; 'Dig in, Chas'!
Hugely appreciated.
The only incident of note was probably due to a momentary loss of concentration on my part. Coming up to some lights, I failed to respond quickly to a move on Ross' part, we touched wheels and down we both went. No real damage done other than a little road rash.
Disused railway lines, now cycle tracks, a road ruler straight for ten miles, and a crazily leaning church tower (Surfleet) were just some of the highlights for me. I'm sure others Will add more together with some photos ( I can never get pics to load on here).
Usual range of nighttime wildlife seen, a hare in a hurry, a suicidal badger crossing the road, and later in 33° heat of the afternoon lots of swooping swifts.
As I said earlier this ride was FAST.
On my Garmin, 201.65 miles, 988m of ascent and a respectable average speed of 16.3mph.
Looking at the Garmin track from last year, we actually took 37 minutes off the time.
Finally, my thanks (and apologies) to Ross for organising the ride, and to everyone else for the company.

236 miles for me.
This is something that I wouldn't even consider doing alone but when in a small friendly, supportive group it's amazing what you can achieve!
@iLB is fast! He dragged me along on his wheel for miles!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Further to what @CharlieB and @Mark Grant said above.
Last night was the 4th running of our annual ride from Doncaster to home. We get a train to Donny from Kings Cross on the friday night, off the train, out of the station and head south for home

There were 7 of us this year. Myself, @Trickedem @rb58, @iLB , the above two gentlemen and Mr @mark st1

We left Doncaster at midnight with a tiny bit of drizzle in the air, but that soon cleared to leave a very mild night of cycling. No jacket's or arm warmers were needed. With a very nice tailwind and the demon that it @iLB leading from the front at times. It made for very rapid progress. At times a little too rapid. :ohmy:^_^

This really has turned into a classic ride. And it couldn't have gone any better last night.

So scores on the doors. 25 mile cycle to Kings Cross Station and 226 Doncaster to home. It's not really as much as 226, but it meant I would have a cycle ride of 250 miles. The furthest I have cycled by nearly 30 miles.

So thanks to all the chaps for making this ride an awesome yearly event.
Roll on next year.

So, scores on the doors.
250 miles. July's Imperial Century Challenge ride done.
Map.jpg

The gang at 4am, sunrise just around the corner.
20170708_041024.jpg

@Trickedem
20170708_074122.jpg

@mark st1 with his sooper cycling tan
20170708_115201.jpg

@iLB 's and a lucky cow.
20170708_120808.jpg

Charlie B
20170708_124020.jpg

Well, I am absolutely, right royally knackered.
Beer and choccy cake is helping.

Last edited:
https://www.relive.cc/view/1073851968

Ride number three of four, giving some riders who are doing the Ride London 100, a view of the Surrey Hills section of the event.

IMG_4902.JPG

New riders ( to me )waiting for the day's first recipient of a visit from the P* fairy.

IMG_4905.JPG

Waiting at Box Hill cafe for the day's second visitee from the fairy.

IMG_4623.JPG

Newlands Corner

IMG_4627.JPG

Ranmore Common.

IMG_4632.JPG

The view point from Box Hill.

73 odd miles in total, other than one show stopper ( a broken rim) most of us made it round, albeit with 2 visits from the p* fairy.

Attachments

• IMG_4908.JPG
    IMG_4908.JPG
    278.1 KB · Views: 50

Simontm

Veteran
With family shenanigans, managed to sneak out early evening and kinda included the first Surrey segment of Ride London. I say kinda cos I went through Molesey rather than Hurst Park to begin with - that Road is devastatingly dull to ride on.
Up to Walton, over Oatlands to Weybridge. To save time headed left over to the station and down into Brooklands. Byfleet then towards Pyrford, an easy decent of Church lane as I couldn't use the whole road with the traffic then a stop to look at the Augustine ruin...
IMG_3837.JPG
IMG_3839.JPG
Then over the A3 where I decided to go over Hungry Hill to West Clandon and a pretty stretch of road with some lovely tarmac!
IMG_3840.JPG
Up onto the A246 to Guildford, up round the Cathedral...
IMG_3841.JPG
Over to Mayford then Woking where I stopped for a coke.
From there I peg back down through Brooklands, Weybridge, past Walton station where my legs informed me that we hadn't eaten since a small salad at lunchtime. So the last five miles were a bit slower but haven't done a fasted ride for this year's Ride London so not bad, if unintentional, practice!
47miles 3hrs.
FullSizeRender.jpg

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Today I really needed 6.2 miles for reasons that will follow. Got up very early from my hotel room in Ypres and went for a ride around town with my camera. Through the main squares,
192 Ypres.JPG

where the Saturday market was just setting up,
193.JPG

over a few long stretches of cobbles and out through the impressive (and very moving) Menin Gate:
197 Menin Gate.JPG

To clock up the required miles I nipped out of town along a smooth concrete cycle path through cabbage fields and past a reservoir out to the village of Zillebeke (where the churchyard contained a few Commonwealth war graves) and back again. Found my way back to the Menin Gate again:
198.JPG

and then back to the hotel .... which had this brilliant Lego reproduction in the foyer depicting the daily evening ceremony at the Menin Gate, complete with trumpeters at one end and bagpipers at the other:
204 Lego Menin Gate.JPG

Loved the fact that you can cycle the wrong way up all the one way streets in Ypres (the no entry signs all say that cyclists are "uitgezonderd"),
194.JPG

but didn't much enjoy the cobbles. Even after only 8 miles, I finished my ride with my forearms itching like mad from all the vibration. I was left wondering how all the locals manage to look so serene on their Dutch bikes. Anyway, mission accomplished, and even got back to bed for another hour's kip after a nice cold shower. Today was the last day of my only foreign holiday this year, so it was last chance saloon for hitting a particular target. At the 6.2 mile mark, I clocked up my 1,000th mile of overseas cycling in Europe since first taking my bike abroad with me in 2010. A big thank you to Mrs Donger for putting up with all my early morning disappearing acts over the years! I'm just amazed how the miles mount up so fast when you mostly do little 15-20 mile loops. I have to say I've loved every single one of those rides. Back to the normal schedule of club rides, local lanes and audaxes now.
Cheers, Donger.

Last edited:

Trickedem

Guru
Further to what @CharlieB and @Mark Grant said above.
Last night was the 4th running of our annual ride from Doncaster to home. We get a train to Donny from Kings Cross on the friday night, off the train, out of the station and head south for home

There were 7 of us this year. Myself, @Trickedem @rb58, @iLB , the above two gentlemen and Mr @mark st1

We left Doncaster at midnight with a tiny bit of drizzle in the air, but that soon cleared to leave a very mild night of cycling. No jacket's or arm warmers were needed. With a very nice tailwind and the demon that it @iLB leading from the front at times. It made for very rapid progress. At times a little too rapid. :ohmy:^_^

This really has turned into a classic ride. And it couldn't have gone any better last night.

So scores on the doors. 25 mile cycle to Kings Cross Station and 226 Doncaster to home. It's not really as much as 226, but it meant I would have a cycle ride of 250 miles. Te furthest I have cycled by nearly 30 miles.

So thanks to all the chaps for making this ride an awesome yearly event.
Roll on next year.

So, scores on the doors.
250 miles. July's Imperial Century Challenge ride done.
View attachment 361077

The gang at 4am, sunrise just around the corner.
View attachment 361078

@Trickedem
View attachment 361079

@mark st1 with his sooper cycling tan
View attachment 361080

@iLB 's and a lucky cow.
View attachment 361081

Charlie B
View attachment 361082

Well, I am absolutely, right royally knackered.
Beer and choccy cake is helping.
Great ride, wonderful company and a favourable tail made for a great ride. I also benefited from being on my summer bike, so was able to keep up.

I didn't have my camera so not many pics, although this one was noteworthy. @mark st1 and @CharlieB happily sleeping at our pub stop. There was a little snoring too.
IMG_20170709_4104.jpg

mark st1

Plastic Manc
Great ride, wonderful company and a favourable tail made for a great ride. I also benefited from being on my summer bike, so was able to keep up.

I didn't have my camera so not many pics, although this one was noteworthy. @mark st1 and @CharlieB happily sleeping at our pub stop. There was a little snoring too. View attachment 361143

:laugh: That's a class picture. Calm yourselves down ladies we are both taken :okay:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
A nice early ride out on the recumbent trike this morning. A nice mix of roads and towpath was planned, and I headed out just before 8. First time on 'proper' roads for me and the trike, hence the early start, and main roads it was up to Staines, crossing the Thames here before heading down to join the towpath at the Thames Lodge hotel. Quite a nice surface to start with, and as I approached a group of walkers I was met with shouts of 'car back' as they all stepped out the way. Also heard 'I want one of those' as I pedalled through:smile: One of the things I love about the trike is the ability to just stop and take a photo, and I stopped this lot fighting over something in the river.
9th July 2017 Swans.jpg

Not long after this the surface got all bumpy and less fun, but still more comfy on the trike than it would have been on one of my upwrongs. As I approach Penton Hook lock I discovered a gap the trike wouldn't fit through, literally by a QR levers width:rolleyes: Lifted over gate and carried on, finding another such gap at the other end of the lock. Fortunately the :snowball:car gate was unlocked so opened and wheeled through. Maybe towpaths aren't the best for trikes.
Was nice to get onto the road at Laleham Reach, smooth (ish) tarmac gave me a nice run down to Chertsey Bridge. The plan changed here, and I decided tea with Dad was a good option as he's normally in on Sunday mornings, so backtracked as far as Laleham then on the main roads back to Staines. Met Dad driving out of his road with bike on the back, off to explore Hounslow with a friend. Nevermind, tea with brother and niece instead. Suitably refreshed it was back via the riverside gardens, pausing for a photo by the Five Swimmers. This used to live inside the Elmsleigh Centre, and it should still be there IMO.
9th July 2017 Trike & Five Swimmers.jpg

Home via the Causeway, and some loops around Egham whilst I waited for trains at @Stonechat 's least favourite crossing:okay: Amazing how the barriers can stay down for so long without any sign of a train.
Home on 16 miles, and I have to say I'm a much happier chappy being on the roads on the trike, so look forward to getting some good rides in now.

Top Bottom