Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
IMG_1151.jpg
IMG_1149.JPG
IMG_1147.JPG

It was a lovely Afternoon so I extended my usual 7 mile commute to a longer 40 mile ride.
Heading from Thorpe Arch to Tadcaster and on to Bolton Percy for a photo outside D'Oyly's Tea Rooms, very cycle friendly and great Cafetière coffee in bone China cups, very twee, I can highly recommend it if you are passing.
Continuing on to Appleton Roebuck, Acaster Malbis and then joined the Sustrans cycle path and another photo opportunity to Riccall and Barlby crossing the Ouse via the old swing bridge in Selby.
Turning Right after the bridge onto Wistow and then Biggin and home via Ulleskelf.

It's my 4th and longest ride on this new Brooks B17 saddle and it wasn't quite as comfortable tonight, I'm going to bear with it, I've always wanted one and I really like how it looks on the bike. I'm sure it will be fine after a few months bedding in but it did feel rather hard for the last 15 miles.

Last edited:
When today's cool and damp morning turned into a lovely sunny afternoon, it would've been rude *not* to have gone out for a ride. I had planned on visiting some friends in Mepal, but that didn't happen in the end. As there wasn't much in the way of wind, it didn't matter where I chose to go, so went as my whim took me.

In this case, it took me through Downham Common and along Black Bank to Littleport. Loads of those teeny black bugs around, so glad to have those glasses. From there I took a left on the roundabout and joined the A10 for the drag up to Sandhill Bridge. Over the bridge across the river and right on the roundabout to go along Branch Bank.

Stopped for some M&Ms at the Swan on the Water (used to be the Black Horse back in the day) before continuing all the way along Branch Bank and Padnal Bank to Queen Adelaide. From there it's through Ely via High Barns and Stour Green along the shared cycle path. Took advantage of a nice sun trap to have a drink and a banana. :sun: Then it's across the A10, past the new leisure village and up the climb to Orwell Pit before dropping down into Downham.

Usually I turn for home at this point, but as I still had some time to play with, I climbed up the hill into the village instead, rode all the way to the Hythe and indulged in my favourite way to tackle Mill Hill i.e. zipping down it at a good rate of knots. From there, it's past Adventurer's Drove and Corkers Crisps and into Pymoor. A right turn takes me past the cricket ground and onto O Furlong, and then it's the short stretch through Dunkirk and home. :bicycle:

Saw nine cyclists out and about, all except one in the latter half of the ride. Most were commuters, but did see several chaps out on their roadies going much faster than me. :blush: Traffic was very considerate today which makes a change, but some of the roads were tricky to negotiate due to the amount of gravel washed onto them by the rain.

Also seemed to be a day for those big fat hairy dark brown caterpillars to be crossing roads. Saw loads of them.

22 miles in around an hour and three quarters, which is rather good for me. Still a bit of petrol left in the tank at the end, so wound up a couple of sprints in the last mile home just for fun. Still sitting here with a big grin on my face. :biggrin:

Buck

Guru
After Saturday's Humber Bridge Hundred I fancied a short ride out and with the weather forecast looking less favourable for later in the week it was on for tonight!

Nothing exciting to report - a steady evening ride on one of my usual routes but the legs did feel a little heavy and tired from Saturday :rolleyes: so not a fast ride by any stretch.

The sky was turning a lovely shade of red so i stopped for a quick photo - said hi to another cyclist heading in the opposite direction and said hi to him later when i met him again on my return leg !!

fullsizeoutput_29b.jpeg

12.1 miles with 800ft of elevation
https://www.strava.com/activities/1101387894

Screen Shot 2017-07-25 at 23.03.41.png

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Pleasant ride yesterday to pick up some bits and pieces from Duston Bakery,

IMG_2514.JPG

IMG_2515.JPG

then on to meet up with some mates and the Trail Dawg that one of the chaps is training to follow a wheel from behind, not in front :cycle:

They were off shift yesterday, but, sadly I had to leave them to enjoy Harleston Firs for the rest of the morning while I pedalled back home for lunch, shower and w*rk :sad:

21 miles in decent weather, carrying my heavy duty lock plus shopping on the way back :training:

https://www.strava.com/activities/1100457906

:smile:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Ah, that's better! Thought I wasn't going to get a ride in today, what with all the thundery weather. Then it suddenly cleared up, just after I'd taken the missus in to town to meet her "ladies who lunch". Took advantage of her being off getting pickled with a bunch of cackling women to grab a quick 15 miler down the lanes. Lovely just to get the legs moving and the lungs working again. Sunshine, Fresh air. Birdsong. All is well with the world. Now it's time to pretend I've been doing some gardening. (Will drop a few weeds strategically on the patio).
Cheers, Donger.

Old jon

Guru
Wetnesday. I know it has been done before, but it was wet. No reason not to ride of course, apart from the double negative. I just hope I wrote that right. Just as I reached the end of the drive on my return, the Garmin ticked to exactly thirty one miles. I know Garmins don’t tick but that is what it felt like . . .

Start from the beginning, I suppose. I wheeled out the clean and shiny Ellis Briggs this morning, and headed off for the meander around Holbeck leading to Crown Point Bridge and the climb up Roundhay Road to the Oakwood Clock. Tailwind assistance was obvious, and welcome of course, though not so effective when climbing the big Hill of Boot a little later. Cross the Ring Road and take the right turn onto Red Hall Lane, it is a long time since I have ridden along Coal Road and I resisted the temptation again this morning. Skeltons Lane and left onto the first Thorner Lane of the ride. A quick whizz down Sandhills is always fun, through the village and turn left onto Milner Lane and the surprisingly steep little climb to the second Thorner Lane today. The ride along to East Rigton was damp, but still fun, and just about traffic free. Until climbing away from Rigton Green and a large bit of farm transport blotted out most of the view. The video shows it well.

Along the ridge top to the descent to Jewitt Lane, further down that lane to Collingham and turn right on the A 58 all the way to Wattle Syke. I had intended to ride all the way to the Wetherby roundabout but having a clear shot at the right turn could not be missed. A relatively easy navigation of the roundabouts followed and Boston Spa was reached. Again, the right turn for Clifford was an easy choice. I do like that stretch of road. Bramham. Infested by signs for the upcoming festival, at times I think the village has lost something or another. I maybe need to stop for a pint or many sometime. The ride to Thorner is enjoyable though, and the breeze was cross with me. Not as cross as the driver of the articulated wagon who followed me down Church Hill, he or she had to slow down rather a lot approaching the bend at the bottom. The wagon caught up three quarters of the way through Thorner. I rode up Sandhills, its slower that way, turned right for the other two lanes and away home in the usual tyre tracks down Boot Hill, along to the clock at Oakwood and through Leeds. More grins ‘cos of the Garmin and it was good to dry off. A fun ride.

Abstract riding, documented by Garmin.

26072017.jpg

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Just some utility riding today as I needed to visit the bank. I used the knockabout bike as it was easy to get out and had a brisk tailwind on the way into town. Traffic was bad so I was glad to be on the bike rather than stuck in the queues.

On the way back I headed through The Quarry. Plenty of people out and about for a stroll by the river. The preparations for the Flower Show are underway already (the show isn't until the second weekend in August). It was harder work on the way back due to the wind.

7.5 miles at 12.1 mph average.

DSC0004840.jpg

Looking across The Quarry to St. Chads and the first marquee for the show is already up.

Simontm

Veteran
My week of tapering continued after a quick stop at Paul's Cycles to book in bike for pre-Ride check up tomorrow.
Up Ditton hill, over Tolworth and into New Malden. Onto the A3, or rather next to it for a sprint up to Roehampton and over to Putney where I thought I may as well do the last segment of the 100.
Kings Rd, Embankment up to Lambeth where thanks to the roadworks was diverted through Marsham St so decided to Horseguards it to the Mall.
From there ducked down to Chelsea Bridge, through Battersea Park, onto Wandsworth and Wimbledon. All with a south westerly and drizzle which was fun.
Back through New Malden, Kingston then a quick stop and coffee at my dad's so I could pick up my uncle's keys for Saturday night then home.
35m, 2:20
FullSizeRender.jpg

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Fitted a new chain, cassette, rear disc brake rotor and pads to the Cube this morning and then, to bed everything in, I took it out for a leisurely 12 mile meander on and off road around Trimley, Walton and Felixstowe including a bit of shopping on the way.

So differnt to yesterday's 40 mile fast run on the Ventus, but just as enjoyable.

Heading out in about 15 minutes, still not decided which direction to head
It's my last day of freedom, before I have to pick wife & daughter up from Yeadon airport, after their fortnight away
Didn't get far, but it was wet. Very.
I rode up to the Hospital, to visit a friend (ex Nurse) who was admitted last night, as a patient
She was asleep when I arrived, & it was very tempting to go & 'borrow' the white-board markers & give her a face-paint

Oddly enough, when her husband arrived a bit later, he asked me if I'd done it (because he would have done)

Then..... on the way home, a creak that's evaded my searching for a couple of weeks, finally revealed its whereabouts
(I thought it was the BB bearings)

DSCF3559.JPG DSCF3560.JPG

Thankfully, I was less than 200yards from home, when it sheared, and, there was no following traffic that could have ran over my lovely 'Flite' saddle
I had a spare seat-pin, in the shed, so a straight swap, of the bolt & clamp took less time, than unscrewing the light holder & swinging it aside

Last edited:
Top Bottom