Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

delb0y

Legendary Member
Nice 60+ mile loop round the Cotswolds this morning. Highlights were a tremendous road (actually mud track) from Kilkenny (nr. Andoversford) through to Colesbourne. It just went for miles through beautiful woods, and though a bit dodgy on road tyres it was still a joy. As was the road down through Slad. Great!

Downsides were taking the wrong turn after successfully getting up Harp Hill only to find myself on Aggs Hill (which I'd planned to avoid). Had to walk at one point - RWGPS says it was 28% ! And my Garmin Touring which was / is pants. Don't think I've had one ride yet when it's performed correctly for an entire ride. At one point it turned itself off. Then it spent about thirty minutes "recalculating" my route and thereafter kept telling me to turn around. There must be a decent GPS unit out there!

gavgav

Guru
The weekly Friday monsoon had passed through and so I took the Hybrid out for some proper hills, to start getting my legs ready for the Lake District Holiday in 6 weeks time.

Cold, cloudy and windy as I set off through Meole and then onto the busy road to Hook a Gate and Annscroft. I then turned towards Plealey and the first hard climb of the day, up to Oaks, which was a good slog into the strong wind.

I then continued the climbing up to Habberley, pausing to look back down from where I had come.
IMG_0196.JPG

I then followed the pleasant lanes to Huglith and the biggest climb of the day, up the side of Cothercott Hill. I could feel that I hadn't done steep hills for a while and the legs were hurting as I wound my way up the hairpins in Granny gear.

At the top, I crossed the road and had a look at the remains of the Cothercott Barytes Mill, from the 1920's. It's apparently one of the best remaining examples in the country.
IMG_0197.JPG

IMG_0198.JPG

IMG_0199.JPG

There followed some more climbing to the top of Cothercott Hill and then, with the wind behind me, the exhilarating descent where I topped 43.2mph :hyper:

I turned off the main road and up to Wilderley, before descending to Dorrington and then Stapleton, where I headed to dad's for lunch with him, my Brother and Nephew.

The journey home from dad's was hard work on tired legs, to Ryton, Berriewood, Condover, Betton and back to base.

29.3 miles with 2650 ft of climbing at a slow 10.7 mph avg.

I need a few more rides like this, over the coming weeks, to get myself Lakes fit!

One slight issue was that the bike has a squeak when I changed gear at intermittent stages. One for @Rickshaw Phil to have a look at post Service.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Just back from a quick blast on my Acton Burnell loop. I took the Dawes to test a slight saddle and brake adjustment and did the route anti-clockwise this time so; Condover, Ryton, Longnor, Acton Burnell, Pitchford, Cantlop, Condover again and home.

The bridge at Condover is still closed but they are allowing pedestrians across so that wasn't a problem. I had a fairly brisk headwind as far as Longnor, then had an exhilarating ride back with that wind pushing me along. I knew I was doing well when cresting the climb at Frodesley at 16 mph. 12 or 13 would be more usual here.

The bike wants a clean now as the cows had just crossed the road for milking at Cantlop.

All-in-all a very enjoyable ride covering just over 17 miles at 17 mph average.

I didn't stop for photos today.

Gareth C

Veteran
Shetland

No big rides, but some lovely (short) beach fat biking, and plenty of off-bike exploration. What a wonderful place…

We got to see the puffins at Sumburgh Head lighthouse.
dscf2728.jpg

We explored some wild beaches for swimming potential.
img_3073.jpg

dscf2818.jpg

img_3006.jpg

On the way back we caught a view of an orca pod working its way around the island.
s0342974.jpg

s0362986.jpg

We went hiking on Muckle Roe.
dscf3193.jpg

We took two ferries north to Yell then Unst and got to see the most northerly point in the UK mainland: Muckle Flugga.
dscf3231.jpg

On Unst we got to see ancient seabed rock that had been thrust up onto land before the Atlantic Ocean even existed.
dscf3290.jpg

… and of course did some short fat bike riding locally.
img_2947.jpg

img_3034.jpg

dscf3504.jpg

dscf3513.jpg

dscf3519.jpg

https://www.relive.cc/view/1105751300

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
4 in the Green including me and Mrs 26. Mark L was in for some new roads while Sara P was looking forward to some well known miles. Jules H and Margaret PR were collected in Upton after we four had dealt with traffic chaos at the Steam Rally site. Trumpet was the call so off through familiar lanes brought us to Bromsberrow and the standard run to Much Marcle. With Mark having fun dodging loose hens on the road and then getting desperate for coffee we were soon chatting over our refreshments.

Mark jumped up with a start. "We've been here and hour!" Well time flies they say. We took to the Munsley lump and at Peg's Farm Margaret and Mark headed over Wellington Heath while the rest took to Coddington and up around by Cradley to deliver Sara close to home. Now three we took the standard Leigh Brook route back. Excellent one today over familiar lanes we haven't used for a wee while. 56 smiles

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Nice 60+ mile loop round the Cotswolds this morning. .....Downsides were taking the wrong turn after successfully getting up Harp Hill only to find myself on Aggs Hill (which I'd planned to avoid). Had to walk at one point - RWGPS says it was 28% !
:laugh: ... They threw that one in at the start of the "family friendly" Cotswolds BHF ride this year too. It was carnage. I made it about 2/3 of the way up Aggs Hill and then just thought "sod this!" and walked.... as I was in the middle of a 100km ride. I guess they must have been trying to get people off the main A road up towards Andoversford past Dowdeswell Reservoir, but I reckon the new route will scare lots of people off next year.

2. Some great write-ups above. Particularly liked the Wales end-to-end one by @DiddlyDodds, and @GarethC's Shetland adventure. I'm guessing this is the first "Your Ride Today" post ever to feature pictures of killer whales. Keep 'em coming folks. I love the variety of this thread.

Last edited:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
That looks great @Gareth C !

My ride this morning made me feel 12 years old again! I went out on my mountain bike across the local bridleways, after the recent rain, including last night they were more than damp! It's all clay soil round here, so it felt like riding through treacle.

I decided to go to the far end of the Eversdens, then climb up to the Wimpole ridge
IMG_4223.JPG

IMG_4226.JPG

The track up at the top of the hill had been ripped out a fair bit by the rain.
I turned right, then came back down to the Eversdens via Mares Way.
A few hundred yards along and I turned left, back up to the ridge via the Wimpole Way. At the top I made my way down the hill toward the farm.
An old couple came out of the woods ahead of me, I slowed, my tyres were flinging crap everywhere. On to the steep bit of down, and a couple were walking up the hill, so I slowed again. This turned out to be good fortune as the hill was like a sheet of ice! I just about managed to keep the bike upright as I slithered down the hill approaching 30mph..... I very nearly ended up on my arse!

Back up Old Wimpole hill and along another gluey bridleway to Kingston, then Caldecote, before a return across the fields
IMG_4231.JPG

IMG_4234.JPG

IMG_4236.JPG

Once home I spoke to my neighbour who was polite enough not to mention my unclean state. Before I got in the shower I looked in the mirror at my mud splattered face. You could have grown spuds on my legs too!

18 muddy miles.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1108515225

Attachments

• IMG_4228.JPG
    IMG_4228.JPG
    201.7 KB · Views: 63

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
Sunday morning ride with a few mates

3 of us set out on a 70 mile route, met up with 1 more after 10 miles or so. The pace was quite fast and we had a blustery wind with us all the way which made for a hard but still enjoyable ride. As usual with rides where I plot the route its a mixture of quiet country lanes, rolling B roads and a few hills.
We had planned to stop at a cafe for coffee but as it was starting to rain we decided to make for home instead. A quick pause in a bus stop to eat a flapjack and put on our rain jackets and we were on our way again.
A mile or so less than planned as no detour to the cafe so 68.89 miles at an average speed of 17 mph

Screen Shot 2017-07-30 at 13.51.44.png

Screen Shot 2017-07-30 at 13.52.19.png

D

Deleted member 1258

Earlswood this morning, 56 hard miles. A hard morning working into the wind most of the time, but the only rain I saw was out of the cafe window, whilst I was riding it stayed dry. A ride that was a bit more sociable than usual, on the way out I saw an old club mate I hadn't seen for a while and rode with him for a few miles and had a catch up, just after he turned off I came across another friend and had a chat, just after I got to the cafe I was joined by another friend. I've had a good morning out on the bike, enjoyed myself and feel brighter than I did when I first got up.

13 rider

Guru
Hi everyone have you missed me ?, been in Cornwall for a relaxing 2 week family holiday . During this relaxing holiday I got a ride in everyday shortest 5.5 mile longest 51 mile covered 321 miles and climbed 28229 ft so really relaxing .Took the @Donger approach of being out early doors for 2 reason ,my cycling didnt effect family plans and traffic was really quiet . Did manage a couple of evening rides in glorious evening sunshine which were wonderful .Thanks to my GPS unit and preplanned routes via ride with GPS I discovered some lovely lanes to cycle . The last 2 years I've took the hybrid with a triple on the front and a 40 tooth cog on the back so I could spin up anything but this year I took the roadie with 34/25 gearing so some of the hills were a challenge but made it up everything I came across . The toughest climb was by blue hills tin mine near St Agnes which had a descent of 33% and a climb out to match :surrender: that 1 nearly beat me . The climb out of Porthtowan is brutal but the view you get as climbing is stunning did that one twice . The only downside of all the climbing is the descents are not that rewarding as they have poor line of sight and feature blind bends ,blind tightening bends ,blind tightening bends with gravel all over the road following the rain ,blind tightening bends with gravel all over the road and a sudden drop to 20% . Before I went I had fitted new brake blocks and was thankful for that I may need to replace them again . Big :okay: to the local drivers who on the whole were very well behaved even had a driver back up for me so I didn't have to stop on a climb on a single track road which was a commuter rat run .Managed to get 3 koms on strava 4 if you count improving 1 of them which was nice . On one climb I'm faster than Chris Opie ( a pro rider for canyon bike channel ) who's local to Cornwall .he may have been on a mountain bike but I'm still above him on the leader board :becool:
Discovered that even if ridewithgps shows a road and a veloviewer square is behind it the armed sentry at the gate of RAF Porthtreath will not let you through :laugh:. I may be under surveillance as 10 mins later I was at the rear gate ( just to make sure I got the square ) then the next day I rode to hear the front gate of RAF St Mawgan then rode along the perimiter to get another square . The problem for everyone I was in. Cyclechat jersey so there watching us all :ph34r:

Last edited:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
A day late (again), but here's Saturdays ride report.

With plans for late morning it was an early start for the weekend and out the door at 7.15am

Predictably I found myself pedalling up Coal Road, Red Hall Lane and the A58, then Whin Moor Lane into Shadwell and on up to Slaid Hill lights and onto Wyke Ridge Lane and Tarn Lane and across the ridge almost to Scarcroft, before looping down the hill back to the very end of Shadwell and the short climb back onto the A58 and across onto Carr Lane for more familiar lumpiness into Thorner.
Here I did manage to wrestle the handlebars into a different route as I climbed Church Hill out of the village and headed for Wothersome dip, past Bramham Park where they are already well on with setting up for the Leeds Festival. The descent into the dip was fast, the climb up the other side less so, then the ever so slightly downhill run towards Bramham, turning left just before the A1(M) bridge onto West Woods Lane for the ups and downs to Wattlesyke roundabout and then the plunge down the hill into Wetherby.
With the road down to one lane from just after the police station and across the bridge I took primary, much to the displeasure of Mr Revvy Engine behind me :dry:
and then right at the roundabout and down into the Wilderness Car park for a photo and a drink:
IMG_20170729_082408494_HDR.jpg

Back in the saddle and up the Col de Carparkaccessroad, and out on Walton Road, over the A1(M) and on past the racecourse before taking a right down to Thorp Arch, adding a loop along Long Causeway for an extra km or two. Down the hill and over the River Wharfe on the single track bridge, only to have a motorcyclist decide he was going to go across in the opposite direction even though I was two-thirds of the way across (did you guess he was on BMW? :rolleyes: )
Up the hill into Boston Spa and left at the top. I'd initially planned to head up to Bar Lane and loop round that way, but with more roadworks on Main Street and facing temporary traffic lights at red I turned onto Clifford Road and headed that way instead.
Through Clifford and down the hill into Bramham, which inevitably leads to climbing another hill to get back out of Bramham and then across the A1(M) bridge and back towards Thorner. This time though I went the long way round, via Milner Lane and the drop down off the ridge, before taking Carr Lane out to the A58 and up onto Coal Road, before local roads down towards home, with a final long loop around the estate to make sure of a metric half and another entry in the challenge.

32.0 miles (51.49km) in a slower than hoped for 2h 23m at an average of exactly 13mph and with 1,594ft climbed.

I'd have hoped to get round a bit quicker, but I'm struggling for bike time at the minute and it's telling on my legs unfortunately. That said, I still got a metric half in when I knew I'd be up against time and it was a great day for a bike ride - a bit breezy at times, but still good to be out there. Lots of other cyclists too, even at the relatively early hour.

And now, the map:
29072017.JPG

HDW Club Ride today
Out across Runnymead and through Windsor and Clewer, Cookham and taking in Quarry Hill aka Winter Hill to Marlow, up fairly long Hill to our stop which was a garden centre between Marlow and Lane End.

On the return it was clearly going to be some rainy showers and those with waterproofs (sadly not yours truly) were stopping and starting to put them on and take them off again.
The second shower was quite heavy but it was not cold
Also went through large flooded part of road so the Enigma got well and truly christened

The return route was through Bisham and Hurley and White Waltham and back through WIndsor again joining up for similar return
Only one real hill at Hurley.

The outward route was against the wind so we had a welcome tailwind on the return and kept up a good pace

Not so many on today's ride, 5 at the start, joining up with one at the stop for a max of 6, later dropping to 4 as 2 peeled off.

A good ride, but bike needs a quick clean etc.
50.17 miles at 15.7 mph with 1289 feet climbed
Feel with my improving fitness I am more within myself now

https://www.strava.com/activities/1108691123

Last edited:
Top Bottom