Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

galaxy

Veteran
The one at the cross roads or the one on the Ledbury road? Or both? ^_^
At tge Crossroads, i passed it as i came out of the Pub.

Fonze

Totally obsessive , cool by nature
IMG_1886.jpg
Conquered biggest hill Norfolk has to offer .. ^_^

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Out for a ride with my brother again today. After waiting a bit this morning to see what the weather was going to do, we decided to go for it and headed south into a strong headwind. The start of the route was the same way I went on Saturday: Condover, Ryton, Longnor, but then we turned right and headed for Folly Bank and some more climbing practice for Doug.

The old roman road on the way has been surface dressed which was a little frustrating as this had been resurfaced not very long ago and was very smooth and fast. After a water stop at the foot of the climb we continued, with Doug stating that he was going to make sure he did the climb in one go. He did and I went on ahead a couple of times to get photos.

We had another short drink stop at the top of this climb then took the road to Yell Bank which involved climbing further still. The views from up here are always great but today had a bit of drama thrown in as to our left was a bank of thundery looking cloud. I'd heard a distant boom while climbing and wasn't sure if it was a 'plane.

We had been aiming to drop down the other side of the hills into Acton Burnell but looking at the weather it was clear we needed to get back as quick as possible. We therefore turned left at Chatwall and headed down the steep banks through Lawley that we rode the other day, and back to Longnor. With Doug doing his best to slipstream me we pressed on following the roads we'd headed out on. We met the rain at Ryton and fortunately it stayed steady rather than becoming the thundery deluge I'd feared. Still needed to change into dry clothes at the end though.

21.6 miles at 11.8 mph average. Over 1100 feet of climbing on this one and Doug has set lots of personal records on Strava during our dash back to base, including beating a triathlete friend on one segment.:ohmy:

DSC0004856.jpg

Just after Condover and enjoying having the road to ourselves as it's still closed to cars for the repairs to Condover Bridge.

DSC0004857.jpg

A short pause just before Great Ryton. A few threatening looking clouds over the Stretton Hills.

DSC0004858.jpg

A drink stop before the Folly Bank climb. Brightening up a bit now.

DSC0004859.jpg

And a view of Caer Caradoc while we were already stopped.

DSC0004866.jpg

Doug winds his way steadily up the climb.

DSC0004867.jpg

At the crossroads. Usually this would be as high as we go but today we are carrying on climbing up the road in the background.

DSC0004868.jpg

The road across the top of Yell Bank. We've climbed just past 1000 feet above sea level here which always feels like an achievement.

DSC0004872.jpg

From the viewpoint. Looks a bit wet to the west and that lot is coming our way. Time to press on.

DSC0004874.jpg

At Ryton again. The rain has caught us but Doug needs a quick drink before we make the last dash to shelter.

An eight mile bimble to Littleport via Downham Common and Black Bank for me to scout out the contents of the YS cabinet in the Co-op to see if it was worth going later. Not, as was the case (was nothing but burgers and strawberries), but it got me out on the bike. :bicycle:

Horrible headwind coming home had me on the granny ring. And I had a clipless moment on the way out. And I don't even ride clipless. Oooops. WVM had to pull over because he was laughing so hard after I toppled gracelessly to the the tarmac. :blush:

13 rider

Guru
Last day of my holidays 1st of the month sun shining must be time for an Imperial century for the monthly challenge .Out the door at 0800 heading for the flatlands of the vale of Belvoir . Anstey ,Cropston ,Rothley ,Cossington ,Sileby ,Willoughby on the Wolds and Widmerpool . Here I rode up at dead end road for veloviewer square ( silly game but fun ) across the A46 to Hickling pasture and down Bridegate lane a lovely descent dropping into the Vale .Kinoulton ,Colston Basset ,Hose ,Harby another dead end road/bridleway around the back of Langar airfield for another square . Stopped for few minutes to watch the sky divers ( nutters)on to Bingham ,Car Colston and finally turn for home and into the wind which I knew about but didn't figure how strong it would be .Elton ,Granby and Plunger to Dove cottage cafe which was rammed . The cafe ran by volunteers as it a charity hospice cafe and the service is a bit hit and miss and today was a miss . Shared a table with a couple of riders so time passed chatting away waiting my beans on toast .After a long break it's back out and the climbing starts with Stathern hill on which I went left on for the first time and it went up further . Through Eaton and onto the A607 to Melton Mowbray but turned before Melton to Scalford and up on the ridge feeling the headwind now .back to Barrow ,Mountsorrel ,Rothley Cropston and home . 102.2 miles in the bag at 16 mph with 3600ft of climbing which last week I climbed in 38 miles in Cornwall so this ride felt flat . First solo ton for 4 months and found it ok to 85 miles but the headwind made the last 17 a grind noone to hide behind . Managed just about to stay dry had a few spots about half a mile from cafe and it rained while I waited for dinner so the wait kept me dry .so that 3/4 of the years challenge done

Last edited:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
My near neighbour, Chris B, had a bike problem so as I headed out I stopped off to attempt a fix. Half an hour later and much fettling a new tyre was the recommendation. I headed off for the Ashleworth loop as the rain radar indicated that should stay dry for a while. But I had a head wind to fight. Eventually I reached the shelter of the lanes for Redmarley but now it was uphill time. Brand Green signals the summit so it was time to enjoy a relatively easy run to Highleadon. I opted for the climb to Woolridge where the clarity of the air allowed lovely views. Now I had a tail wind up the Hams and then again up to Tunnel Hill. Just the Brotheridge Green run left for a final speedy section home. Nice brisk one today. 45 smiles

Old jon

Guru
A damp morning here in Leeds, but I still wanted a ride, so I wheeled the fixed out and headed off through Hunslet, John o’ Gaunts and Woodlesford and across the waterways to Swillington. So far so average, and the drizzle had stopped as well. I had been a little later than usual leaving the house, but also harboured ideas about a slightly longer ride than thirty miles. The ideas were drowned when the rain returned, but that was later.

The Rocol works is still identified as a brickworks on my map, it makes no difference to how you ride past it of course, in this direction it is uphill. But the drop to Garforth roundabout, and even more the clear run around it this morning, are loads of grins. The cliff removed the grin, still steep when you only have one gear. All along the A 63 past Peckfield Bar, and turn left at the next roundabout to ride through Micklefield, which looks to be about ready for take off.

Pot luck at the B 1217, turn right to pass Lotherton Gates and turn left for Aberford just there. Identifying my grooves in the tarmac has become difficult, there must be many other cyclists using this route, but the bike knows the way home anyway. Just past what was the Swan pub turn left, Barwick in Elmet is next. The road works on the climb into the village seem to have gone, a shame, I had become used to the rest at the red light. Scholes and a short stretch of the A 64 to follow and just as I turned right onto Thorner Lane the weather began dripping again. OK, forget the extended bit, Skeltons and Red Hall Lanes to the A 58 and the drop towards Roundhay, the Oakwood Clock and the congested approach to central Leeds. Soon escaped over Crown Point Bridge, along Black Bull Street and up Leathley Road towards the lower reaches of Beeston and home. Still smiling, a good morning’s ride.

Toppling gracelessly, @Reynard , was once one of my habits. Very embarrassing when you have stopped at the lights for a couple of minutes and realise your feet are still on the footpegs when the lights go green. A motorbike makes a noise all its own when you fall like that.

Another page from the tarmac weavers association . . .

02082017.jpg

Top Bottom