Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Two reports in one day, with this mornings ride now.

I had planned to be up and out early again, but it was almost quarter past 8 before I hit the streets. For a bit of variety and having not ridden it for a while I'd decided on a 25km loop, so I headed down to Barwick Road and headed for Scholes up the hill.
Past the Coronation Tree and right for Barwick, initially still uphill, but then a long, gentle descent starts that goes on for pretty much all of the next mile and a half or so, through Barwick and down to the Cock Beck bridge before the climb up Cattle Lane starts the general lumpiness to Aberford.
Right in Aberford and along Main Street (once the Great North Road), stopping at the former Almshouses for a photo and a drink:
IMG_20170730_084057437_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170730_084230220_HDR.jpg

Back on the bike just as a small peleton of very friendly and mainly female cyclists whizzed passed and I was on my way out to the B1217 and headed for Garforth.
This is a busy road, but al the drivers were playing nicely today so I was soon round the roundabout over the M1 and dropping down Aberford Road into a noticeable headwind, passing yet another large group of cyclists, before taking a right under the railway line onto Barwick Road as the heavens opened :rain:. To be fair it had been threatening for the last few miles, with the sunshine replaced by leaden grey skies and spits and spots of rain in the air.
So I stopped on the bridge over the M1 to put my jacket on and was soon on my way, but as sods law dictates, I'd barely gone half a mile and it stopped raining. :rolleyes:
Oh well, I wasn't stopping again, especially with the climb up Long Lane into Barwick unfolding in front of me.
In the village I was deliberately checked at the T-junction by a Jag driver on the main road who saw me approaching and backed right off, slowing right down as he passed the mouth of the junction before speeding away :dry:
Perhaps he thought I looked in need of a rest? :laugh:
Anyway, up the steady climb out of the village towards Scholes, passing yet another club ride on their way out, before the welcome drop down Leeds Road and the final crossing of Cock Beck for the day and a quick loop around Manston before heading up home.

15.6 miles (25.1km) in 1h 9m at an average of 13.5mph, with 819ft climbed.
I will get this circuit down to under an hour moving time, but need to work on my fitness. Nowt for it but to get more riding time in. :bicycle:
Still, a good ride in changeable weather with loads of cyclists out and about, in groups, pairs and solo.
And, thanks to the wet roads the bike needed a good clean, so I did the drivetrain as well - and in a burst of optimism switched to dry lube for the first time this year ^_^

And now the map:
30072017.JPG

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Whilst all my regular cycling chums are doing LEL or RideLondon or the TCR or just bailing to do other stuff ;-) It was a solo jolly for me today. I was up nice and early so decided I would head down to Brighton. It was still drizzling rain when I left home at 6.30am but it didn't last long. The roads were wet though from all the over night rain, meaning a bit of a soggy bottom for a while.

Lack of traffic that early on a Sunday morning meant that it was a fairly rapid ride into Brighton. I arrived too early for the Fish & Chip place on the beach so mooched off to the regular haunt of The Friday's, The Maderia Cafe where I had to console myself with a full English (The sausages are still iffy). By now the grey skies had cleared and it was turning into a lovely sunny, warm day.

So, sated, it was time to head off home, helped by a nice Southerly/South Western tail wind. The climb over the Devils Dyke was a pleasure rather then a windy chore. Through cross country to Crawley, past Gatwick Airport and up the A23. As I was making very good time, instead of staying on the A23 back to Croydon, I decided to do a right turn at Redhill and follow cross country to Kent. Heading through Lingfield, Edenbridge and Tonbridge. turning north to climb over the downs and back to home.

So, scores on the doors. 136 of your English Imperial Miles for the day. Which means a new Eddington number of 112.
Century # 23 for the year and # 221 over all.

A jolly good day's cycle ride even if I say so myself.

310717.jpg

20170730_104231.jpg

1501405327609.jpg

Last edited:
Another ride out with Wakefield Triathlon Club
Not many of us, & badged as a 'Level Two Cake-Ride'

Photographs from previous rides, not today (only 'Group image, from today)

A meet-up in Castleford, in the car-park behind The Lion pub - opposite the Flour Mill (for those who drove in)
11011205_10206872565204944_5394112787810127681_n.jpg

Out of Castleford, over the River (Aire) bridge, over the Canal
Up Barnsdale Road, to the traffic-lights, right onto Newton Lane, with a brief slow-down to let a rider catch up
Left into Ledston (with the imposing Hall, up on the right)

Right at the top, onto Back Newton Lane, then a left onto Claypit Lane, towards Ledsham
A left turn opposite The Chequers, with a steady climb up New Road, towards the 'old' A1

(near the Chequers, & further up the drag)
10425145_10204498118125251_8165263962800172415_n.jpg 16602663_10210707444634533_6917939202947762764_n.jpg

Under the 'old' A1, & onwards towards Newthorpe, but a right fork, before 'Squires' & the long twisting road towards (the western edge of) South Milford, passing Steeton Hall, & the 'Queen o T'owd Thatch' pub
North Yorkshire Scenes. South Milford. Steeton Hall Gatehouse. 1.JPG 1001792_10200941813339854_730168566_n.jpg

A short stretch of the 'A162 Tadcaster Turnpike' took us to the A63 (Leeds-Selby road)

Through Monk Frysyton, past the thatched house, turning right onto Water Lane, towards Hillam
320430_3928820711244_105364658_n.jpg

Once in Hillam, a turn towards Gateforth, & a short level stretch to Birkin Café
I had got off the front at this point, not by sprinting off, just a slight increase in pace, but long enough to have gone in, ordered for myself (& paid), before they pulled in
Road-Trip. WTC. 14.JPG

The return was via Birkin Lane, back to the 'Brotherton Fox' (the point where the Great North Road, & the 'Tadcaster Turnpike' split - York bound coach traffic followed the ' T T' from here)

A short trip up the 'old' A1 took us into Fairburn , past the RSPB centre, & the Highland Cattle. back to Allerton Bywater, & hence into Castleford
West Yorkshire Scenes. Fairburn. Cattle. in Ings.JPG

I might offer to lead next time, as I have a few ideas for rides around there
(if they'll accept a non club member doing so?)

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
The pru ride 46 with GM of this forum.A 16 mile ride to the Olympic park meeting John at Finchley on the way. Starting on time it was fantastic to ride in the fast lane of the A12 and on the wrong side of the road through the city of London. 46 miles of traffic free cycling with crowds of onlookers cheering and clapping kept the grin on my face all the way round. I was very happy, 3 hours 36 mins for the ride is not bad for an elder citizen.

Right in Aberford and along Main Street (once the Great North Road), stopping at the former Almshouses for a photo and a drink:
View attachment 365189 View attachment 365191

Back on the bike just as a small peleton of very friendly and mainly female cyclists whizzed passed and I was on my way out to the B1217 and headed for Garforth.

A beautiful building, & a lot of people can't believe it was built as an Almshouse, & presume it was converted to one
Information about it here, if it's a site you don't already know about
http://www.parlington.co.uk/index.lasso

Regarding another landmark in Aberford;
One of the riders this morning knows the guy who's bought 'The Swan' & he is apparently converting it to apartments (& building houses in the yard/grounds)
But, he is doing it with due regard to the history, & retaining such delights as the coaching bell, & signs on the stables, which personally I am surprised are still there!!! (after it being closed for so long)

My old 110, in the picture (so all 3 dated 2006)
Aberford. The Swan Hotel. 6.JPG Aberford. The Swan Hotel. 8.JPG Aberford. The Swan Hotel. 5.JPG

The group of, mainly female, riders you saw, probably included a couple of Wakefield Triathlon Club girls out on in that area, this morning
(including Sue, who I know)

Last edited:

Simontm

Veteran
So an early start yesterday from Wapping where I stayed at my uncle's...
IMG_3927.JPG
Headed up to the route where there was a gap in the early riders so I could jump across and head up to the Bow Road and join the other riders heading to the park.
IMG_3928.JPG
IMG_3929.JPG
The cold start put paid to leaving my rain coat in the kit bag but a friendly bunch meant the time passed quickly as we headed to the start.

IMG_3931.JPG
Two minutes to go, coat off in pocket, shake hands with the fella next to me and we were off. I promised to listen to my legs but they wanted to move. First ten miles in 30mins according to the tracker.
So a fast ride into and out of London, a couple of slows passed accidents, mainly superficial by the looks of it, then into Richmond Park and out to Kingston where the early birds were heading back in.
Through Walton, Weybridge, Brooklands to Pyrford for my first stop and they'd run out of energy tablets so I shared mine with another rider. Everyone behaved on the Church Lane chicane then a pleasant climb up to Clandon. Newlands was a bit of a grind but with no wind, I let the bike do its thing,enjoying the fast downhill -around 38mph- alas there had been what looked a serious accident at the bottom where we diverted onto the oncoming lane. Another rider down at Abinger -again looked serious :sad: - and the climb up to Holmesbury enlivened by people moaning about it. :laugh:
Onto Leith hill where halfway up I got a cramp. Deciding discretion was the better part of valour. I got off to walk it off :angry:
Cramp over, hit the A25 into Dorking. Again, letting the bike do its thing we hit 49mph :eek:
Up Box Hill, notable for an almost spectacular off where a bloke almost took the fastest way down when he offed towards the drop and was caught by the trees. Also notable was one of the Boris Bikes seen where the rider had basically adopted an aero position. A Brompton overtook me so I was honour bound to catch him up and overtake him ^_^
Had my seemingly habitual ice lolly at the top and enjoyed the fast descent to Leatherhead. Another stop at Sandown then a lovely stop at my village for a hug and a kiss from my daughter a can of coke and cheers from the neighbours.
Shoutout to a mate on the Portsmouth Road coming out of his house then saw the professionals going out to Hampton Court.
Cramp returned at Coombe Lane so hopped off for a wee walk and stretch then up through Raynes Park, Wimbledon and into Putney where I kept pace with the safety riders till they let us go at the Bridge. A brisk ride up Embankment to Parliament and confused tourists then the Mall where my wife was waiting with pints of milk and bananas:okay:
FullSizeRender.jpg
Dont think the crowds were as much as previous years but it's lovely to ride on those roads free of cars compared with my usual rides/commutes.

100.3 miles; 6:02
FullSizeRender.jpg

Last edited:

Fonze

Totally obsessive , cool by nature
IMG_1881.JPG
IMG_1880.JPG
Great ride for an hour and a half , had a pit stop in my usual place, The Squirrels Nest , then leaving slowly rode around , cool as you like , then hit a mud patch and flat on my ass ! Felt a complete muppet ..

Jody

Stubborn git
My longest ride to date. Cut short of doing 100 miles by 13 miles due to the weather and a slightly iffy knee. Enjoyed it apart from the navigation app threw a wobbly so had to make it up and my sit bones not liking the saddle.

Highlights apart from the scenery and quiet country roads had to be Janets tea room in Woodhall Spa. Great selection of cakes :hungry:

Battery cut short on Strava. According to the speedo, distance 87.5 miles, speed 16.6mph and time taken 5:05

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-07-31-08-00-50.jpg
    Screenshot_2017-07-31-08-00-50.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 41

Old jon

Guru
Just broke the forty mile barrier today, which is not something I often do. Happenstance is wonderful, the Garmin informed me when I switched it off that I had just broken my forty kilometres record. In my teens we all aimed at less than an hour, these days an hour and a half might be considered a target . . .

The ride, never mind reminiscence. On the bike with gears today and I thought to duplicate the previous ride as some silly sort of comparison. The best laid plans and all that. It started well, Towpath, Viaduct Road and Headingley. Up to Lawnswood, turn onto Church Lane, over the dam and take the next left. Left again on King’s Road and watch a couple of Red Kites cavorting in the currents of air above the old quarry. Into Bramhope and out on Creskeld Lane, squiggly downhill is quicker when you can freewheel. Pool and Otley, where sense departed, I turned right to cross the river and climb Billams Hill to Weston Lane. I have not ridden that way for a while, so up that difficult climb at the side of Weston Park, through the village and out towards Askwith. Not wanting to make a U turn, toe interference makes it embarrassing, I carried on through Askwith and all the way to Denton Bridge.

Across the bridge and turn left. The A 660 is not universally liked, this stretch from Denton back to Otley can be busy, is boringly straight and the view could be better. But! It affords the chance of two or three miles of swift ( ish ) flat road, which does not happen much in the bits of Yorkshire I usually ride. A constant eighteen mph gave the legs a fair old workout for a while. The legs are still unhappy, but the rest of me thought it was great! Through Otley again, climb out along the Leeds Road and ride all the way to Headingley, where the descent to Kirkstall awaits and a gentle ride along the busy towpath towards Hunslet and home. Big grin time, and very grateful for the shower.

How to tangle a ball of wool. Or something.

31072017.jpg

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Time to check out my granny ring. Winthill was my target. So of course I took to the old circuit of the hills but backwards to normal. Not that this circuit is particularly normal these days. I haven't done it for ages as I have preferred to head over to Trumpet. Anyway I didn't want all those miles today so the old backwards loop it was. I had to battle a very strong headwind on my way down to Camer's Green even with the shelter from the hedges in the lanes it was quite tough going at times. Things got easier as I began to head north and the pace rose accordingly. As I looped by Mathon I could see a heavy shower up ahead and soon after I was looking for some shelter. A farm yard appeared with a nice barn so in I went. Crumbs it was a heavy shower and glad I was of that well placed barn. I spent the minutes watching swallows flitting about. Nest would have been somewhere nearby I'm sure. With the shower finally past the roads were wet. I wasn't wearing mudguards and I hate getting my nether regions wet with muddy gritty stuff off the road. So I road slowly to minimise the spray from my tyres. I discovered that meant less than 10 mph. So I tootled for a good few miles until eventually the road began to dry. I still had to dodge the wettest bits but I was succeeding in keeping my "bits" dry. Eventually the roads were nicely dry and my pace went back up to normal over the last few miles. Oh - and my granny ring worked well on Winthill. All good. 37 smiles

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
After a hectic 'family' weekend, I had the chance to get a few miles in on my Trek that I've not been out on for a few weeks.
I had to do a bit of some fettling first though to make sure all was running as it should. No problems, but I just like to check stuff out before a solo ride across fields and less used bridleways & byways.

IMG_2611.JPG

I tried to keep off-road as much as possible, and Lodge Lane bridleway is a great route towards Piddington and Salcey.
As I'd just started my ride, I didn't bother with the cafe at Salcey Forest (it's a bit pricey and busy anyway) but cut across the fields aiming for Courteenhall. Unfortunately, one of the bridleways had been recently harvested and ploughed and the farmer is yet to reinstate the path. A half mile walk over lumpy mud ensued! So it goes.

Once through Courteenhall, I headed the Roade, and took some time to explore the old part of the village. I've only ever driven through on the A508 before. It will need another visit to really check it out properly.

Dropping down from Roade to Blisworth, I popped out of a lane that I've only ever seen from the other direction.. Now I know where it goes :okay:

IMG_2615.JPG

The northern end of the Blisworth Tunnel. I've been through there once on a friends boat. It's spooky!

IMG_2625.JPG

With several miles of canal banks to ride, it was an easier ride homewards, especially as the headwinds on the way there were quite strong over the open countryside.

IMG_2641.JPG

I thought about trying to ride up there, but didn't bother in the end :laugh:

Back home on 34 enjoyable miles, with a bit of wind, a few friendly chats with passers' by, and no idiots!

https://www.strava.com/activities/1110328725

:smile:

galaxy

Veteran
There was a good forecast for today with :sun:, warmth and light winds so I decided to get out for a long ride. I used the Dawes and headed south to Ludlow taking in Condover, Pitchford, Acton Burnell, Folly Bank, Cardington, Wall, over Wenlock Edge via Westhope and Seifton Batch, then down through Culmington and Bromfield before heading in to Ludlow via the bridleway through Oakly Park.

The ride was uneventful apart from having to give way to a few tractors and a combine harvester. The scenery was fabulous with the time of year and in this weather and there were a few other cyclists out and about.

Having reached Ludlow I had a bite to eat with a view at Dinham then did a short lap of the town before heading out again onto one of the quieter roads north.

I may have pressed on a little too hard in the first half of the ride and was finding the hills needed a bit of effort heading north. I got on fairly well though going through Petton (another combine harvester on the way) and Broadstone to my second climb of Wenlock Edge past Wilderhope Manor and into Longville.

Finally I headed past Church Preen School and Kenley back to Acton Burnell passing a two cycling groups and a couple who were attending to a mechanical (I asked if they were okay) as well as a few lone riders.

This is the longest ride to date on my new Brooks. I was very pleased to find it comfortable straight out of the box but this ride has shown that it does still breaking in as it was feeling very firm by the 50 mile mark. As a result the last bit to home wasn't that quick.

Nearing home I knew I wasn't far off a metric century so I went over Lyth Hill to add a little bit to be sure.

A fraction over 63 miles for the day at 13.8 mph average.

View attachment 364158
At the bottom of the Folly Bank climb with Caer Caradoc in the background.

View attachment 364159
Cardington

View attachment 364160
On the lanes after Wall under Heywood.

View attachment 364161
Entering the Oakly Park Estate via the main gate. (The exit was through the pig farm.)

View attachment 364162
Ludlow Castle and the former Mr Underhill's (now up for sale if you've got a spare million or two) by the river.

View attachment 364163
An alternative view including Dinham Bridge, from the bench where I stopped for my sandwich.

View attachment 364164
Very narrow streets in Ludlow.
You have a good taste in bike.

galaxy

Veteran
Time to check out my granny ring. Winthill was my target. So of course I took to the old circuit of the hills but backwards to normal. Not that this circuit is particularly normal these days. I haven't done it for ages as I have preferred to head over to Trumpet. Anyway I didn't want all those miles today so the old backwards loop it was. I had to battle a very strong headwind on my way down to Camer's Green even with the shelter from the hedges in the lanes it was quite tough going at times. Things got easier as I began to head north and the pace rose accordingly. As I looped by Mathon I could see a heavy shower up ahead and soon after I was looking for some shelter. A farm yard appeared with a nice barn so in I went. Crumbs it was a heavy shower and glad I was of that well placed barn. I spent the minutes watching swallows flitting about. Nest would have been somewhere nearby I'm sure. With the shower finally past the roads were wet. I wasn't wearing mudguards and I hate getting my nether regions wet with muddy gritty stuff off the road. So I road slowly to minimise the spray from my tyres. I discovered that meant less than 10 mph. So I tootled for a good few miles until eventually the road began to dry. I still had to dodge the wettest bits but I was succeeding in keeping my "bits" dry. Eventually the roads were nicely dry and my pace went back up to normal over the last few miles. Oh - and my granny ring worked well on Winthill. All good. 37 smiles
I passed the Cafe in Trumpet today.

Top Bottom