Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Another quick blast on my own this afternoon. After a damp morning the weather cleared up so I dashed out before it had a chance to change its mind.

I wanted to do at least 20 miles so for the third time in succession heade through Condover to Longnor. I had a strong headwind for this bit and was struggling to do much more than 12 mph on the exposed bits even though it was flat. I caught up with a tractor and trailer at Ryton which gave shelter from the wind for a mile or so but I had to put up with the clouds of dust it stirred up - you'd hardly know it had rained this morning.:blink:

After Longnor I turned north towards Acton Burnell and had the wind behind me making for a fast ride, if not as fast as on the Dawes the other day.

To get the extra miles I took a right past Concord College and headed through Cound Moor and onto the long straight to Moreton. Although the wind direction was wrong for this bit I still managed to cruise along at a decent speed, then had it helping me up the hill to Harnage and down into Cound.

Around this point I could see dark clouds gathering again and was worried about getting wet again which removed any temptation to make it into a longer ride this time so I took a left at Cound Stank and took the road towards Pitchford.

Joining the road to Cantlop I knew I'd have the wind helping pretty much the whole way home now. I manage to outrun a JCB for a short while until I reached the climb up to Cantlop ^_^ then enjoyed a steady 22 mph cruise from Condover to the A49.

22.6 miles this trip. 15.2 mph average which makes this one of the fastest rides I've done on the knockabout bike and 30.4 mph top speed. All excellent fun.:bicycle:

Sorry no photos today.

Toppling gracelessly, @Reynard , was once one of my habits. Very embarrassing when you have stopped at the lights for a couple of minutes and realise your feet are still on the footpegs when the lights go green. A motorbike makes a noise all its own when you fall like that.

Ouch, I can imagine. :eek:

For all that I'm something of a klutz, it's the first *splat* I've had since I started riding again a year ago. I now have a crank-and-pedal shaped imprint on my left shin for my pains. :cry:

Gareth C

Veteran
Not one ride, but two rides; and not posted here a few days later, but actually on the day they happened…!

Back from our recent Shetland holiday we’re bumming around at home this week. I persuaded Liz to get out for a short ride (just to acclimatise her to getting her bike loaded in the car, and some confidence back so she can go riding with her mates). Short out-and-back along the railway path, and much improvement was seen by the way back.

Later on, she was out at a woolly mates gathering up Weardale, so I got a lift to Ireshopeburn and cycled home from there. I took the track over to Teesdale, which was a big mistake – it gradually gets rougher-and-rougher, eventually becoming a walk. The weather was also extremely grim – rain, wind, cloud – a typical summers day!

img_3174.jpg

Heading upwards into the grimness.
img_3175.jpg

Still on tarmac at this point.
img_3176.jpg

img_3177.jpg

img_3180.jpg

I’m not coming back without a mountain bike.
On hitting the road to Middleton, things should have been fast (and gently downhill), but there was a headwind, still raining and lots of surface water. However, on the road were loads of cyclists – all kitted up like they were touring, but generally cycling alone. I wondered if they were doing the coast-to-coast but had got lost. Not just one of them seemed to be all over the road, and there were plenty of Japanese cyclists (with flags on display from the saddlebags). In any event, I amused myself by blasting past them all. In Middleton, I stopped at the ATM and one of the guys (Dutch or Belgian I think) was sheltering from the weather – we got talking. It seems they’re doing the London-Edinburgh-London in four days. This brought me back to earth with a bump – no wonder they were all over the road – they must be delirious after doing that distance and now well on their way back south.

The (excellent) chip shop was closed, my favourite Middleton café was closed, and the only remaining café was chock-a-block with L-E-L cyclists, so I grabbed some crisps in the Co-Op. I made off for Hamsterley forest, aiming for the café there.

img_3181.jpg

Some light in the clouds.
img_3183.jpg

Heading up to Hamsterley Forest (and into the cloud).
img_3186.jpg

The heather was spectacular.
img_3188.jpg

The old mine workings at Sharnberry.
img_3189.jpg

Entering the misty forest.
On arrival at the Hamsterley café, I was informed it was closed, but if I wanted cold food/drinks they’d see what they could do. More crisps and a coke. Not my lucky day – after the chip shop disappointment, I had my mind on one of their cheeseburgers…

A relatively short (but lumpy) ride then gets me home – just the same time as Liz. She’s just heading out for a swim in the local lake. I have some serious bike and me cleaning up to do!

img_3190.jpg

The weather starts to improve, now the bulk of the ride is done.
img_3191.jpg

Crossing the Wear – nearly home.

(@Donger - no killer whales today!)

. All along the A 63 past Peckfield Bar, and turn left at the next roundabout to ride through Micklefield, which looks to be about ready for take off.

Nice to see that you included the 'memorial mosaic' at the end of your short film:okay:

Micklefield. Trade Route. 1.JPG Micklefield. Trade Route. 2.JPG Micklefield. Trade Route. 3.JPG

Opposite Church Lane (entry into village, from 'Ridge Road')
Micklefield. 1.JPG

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
Did the RideLondon ride on Sunday. Lucky to say it was my 3rd time at the event (the first year done for charity) and had a later than usual start of 7.28. Tried to sneak into my mates earlier group (only 8 minutes ahead of mine) but the eagle eyed steward told me to get back into my group...A strategic toilet break by my mate got him into my group anyway for the start.

Photo 30-07-2017, 06 25 01.jpg

Photo 30-07-2017, 06 25 08.jpg

Photo 30-07-2017, 07 24 58.jpg

Route was well known to me, but save for a few hills I took it at my mates pace so the day turned into more of a leisurely cruise, taking in the atmosphere and enjoying the day.

Photo 30-07-2017, 09 46 28.jpg

Photo 30-07-2017, 11 54 18.jpg

One dude made it harder for himself going up Box Hill...

vlcsnap-error750.png

Got photobombed at the finish....

Photo 30-07-2017, 14 47 06.jpg

Nice medal as always

Photo 30-07-2017, 14 53 32.jpg

Photo 30-07-2017, 17 53 21.jpg
Photo 30-07-2017, 17 53 28.jpg

Superb day as always, riding on closed roads never gets old for me.

(Garmin recorded 99.1 miles for the 100 mile course....second time in a row it's done that to me....grr)

https://www.strava.com/activities/1108972574

Did the RideLondon ride on Sunday. Lucky to say it was my 3rd time at the event (the first year done for charity) and had a later than usual start of 7.28. Tried to sneak into my mates earlier group (only 8 minutes ahead of mine) but the eagle eyed steward told me to get back into my group...A strategic toilet break by my mate got him into my group anyway for the start.

View attachment 365827

View attachment 365828

View attachment 365829

Route was well known to me, but save for a few hills I took it at my mates pace so the day turned into more of a leisurely cruise, taking in the atmosphere and enjoying the day.

View attachment 365830

View attachment 365831

One dude made it harder for himself going up Box Hill...

View attachment 365836

Got photobombed at the finish....

View attachment 365832

Nice medal as always

View attachment 365833

View attachment 365834 View attachment 365835

Superb day as always, riding on closed roads never gets old for me.

(Garmin recorded 99.1 miles for the 100 mile course....second time in a row it's done that to me....grr)

https://www.strava.com/activities/1108972574
The Garmin drops out in the Tunnels, it shortens the ride, the trick is to keep it running untill you've picked up your medal and exited the finish area.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I rode over to Upton to meet Margaret PR. With showers around we took to her kitchen for a cuppa. Eventually we headed off over the Croome route for Drakes Broughton and the ford at Pinvin. A brief shower had us hiding behind a hedge but our chat lasted longer than the shower. We were rolling quite easily as the wind was assisting quite nicely. We took the climbs through Ab, Church and Atch Lench to drop off for Harvington. Just a few miles more by Salford Priors and we rolled up to the garden centre for refreshments. The lunchtime rush meant we ended up outdoors but that was the best as we could actually hear each other speak.

The wind seemed to increase in strength as we sat. It looked a daunting prospect to ride back into that. No option tho' so we headed for the wee loop around Abbots Morton where the old black and white cottages are amazing. Then we dodged by Abberton to pause at the ford after Naunton Beauchamp where a friendly labrador frolicked in the stream. We paused again at the ford at Pinvin wondering if the grass snake was still at home. To add variety we headed for Defford and as we left the village some spectacular puff ball fungi gave us another pause. Just a standard run back then and we were saying goodbye in Upton before my ride back. Despite that wind the hedges did a great job giving us shelter so we had a fairly minimal amount of full on head wind. Just as well we like our lanes as it would have been tough out on the bigger roads. 66 smiles and we didn't get wet.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Another ride with my brother today.^_^ After a few rides where practice at climbing was the main aim, today he wanted to go for distance instead and suggested going out to Viroconium (Wroxeter). I liked that idea so after an early lunch we set off.

The route today started off with what until a month ago was my regular commute. Setting out on the way to Condover the traffic on the main road was at a standstill due to a crash on the Shrewsbury Bypass. Fortunately not affecting our direction though. I expected quite a few people to be rat running down the lanes but there was very litte traffic on our way to Cross Houses then Atcham.

We had a good tailwind to start with and set a nice quick pace all the way to Attingham Park with 14.5 mph average showing at our first drink stop. The wind carried on helping us along through Upton Forge and as far as my old workplace, then we turned south and got to Wroxeter where there were a few groups looking round Viroconium.

From here it gets quite undulating. Doug did fairly well but the average speed was going to drop back down a bit. The descent into Cressage wasn't quite as swift as usual being against the wind then we had the climb out of the valley the other side which happened to be directly into the wind. I rode at the front as a windbreak on the long straight to Cound Moor, which Doug said did help.

At Acton Burnell the wind was to the side, so not hindering, and we had a good long downhill section which revived the spirits a bit and allowed some recovery before the last couple of climbs on the way home. Doug complained of an aching knee near to Cantlop so we had a pause for a slight adjustment which seemed to help.

We'd planned to go over Lyth Hill at the end anyway to avoid the traffic on the main road, which turned out to be a good thing as the queues were still there.

30 miles today, which is Doug's longest ride for several months, at 12.3 mph average which I think is reasonable for his fitness level - he would have liked to go faster though.;)

DSC0004876.jpg

Near the start of the ride: Harvesting operations underway and in the background you can just make out the line of traffic stuck on the A49.

DSC0004877.jpg

At Attingham

DSC0004881.jpg

The new Roman villa at Viroconium.

DSC0004882.jpg

Being touristy at Viroconium.

DSC0004884.jpg

Another stop at the top of a climb on the way to Cressage.

DSC0004886.jpg

Taking the quiet way to Acton Burnell.

DSC0004888.jpg

Last summit of the day.

Old jon

Guru
A wander in the breeze seemed to be the deal this morning, how much of a breeze took a while to find out. Some quirk of nature or buildings makes the area where I live pretty sheltered normally, so the real weather can come as a bit of a shock.

I had sort of worked out a route, as happens. Then also as happens I decided to ride it widdershins, probably just so I could use the word. It does not take much to amuse me. So, after the ritual ramble round Holbeck, I pointed the bike along Great Wilson Street then turned left to eventually cross the river at Crown Point Bridge. Then the three Rs, Regent Street Roseville Road and Roundhay Road as far as the Oakwood Clock, followed by the climb up Boot Hill. Once across the Ring Road turn right along Red Hall Lane and after one more left turn, ride through Thorner. Up Church Hill on the way to Bramham, lots of preparation for the festival is going on, across the A 1M and through the village to the Clifford road. Down Main Street, taking the third turnoff for Boston Spa, because I could, I guess. Turn left at the end and then right to cross the Wharfe using the one and only bridge that Boston boasts. Past the bad lad’s boarding house at Thorp Arch, which meant a right turn, and along the road to Walton.

Left there, and right which aims nicely to the B 1224 and turn left for Wetherby. What was not so nice was the headwind along this road, although I had guessed it would be like this. Then Wetherby threw one. The flooding and all that half destroyed the bridge at Tadcaster and made a mess of Linton Bridge amongst other damage ( twenty months ago? ) had also damaged a large wall on the way out of town in the Leeds direction. The repairs to this have only just started, which makes me glad my house was not above that wall but also made a few bits of back street riding necessary. No harm, it likely added a mile to the trip. Once back on a familiar road, I pedalled to Collingham and at the final chance decided not to ride up Jewitt Lane for the return via Thorner. I think Sandhills in the up direction, plus wind, had something to do with the decision. So the A 58 back to Leeds, and of course there is the long climb through Scarcroft to bellow the lungs somewhat, all for the good. Thirty five and a lump miles, fair but breezy weather and one happy rider.

Random squiggles

04082017.jpg

Top Bottom