Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
https://www.relive.cc/view/1118557678

A little ride into the countryside today.

IMG_5080.JPG

Breakfast

IMG_5081.JPG

Waiting for everyone to arrive.

IMG_5082.JPG

Ready for the off.

IMG_5084.JPG

Danni King with one of the riders.

IMG_5085.JPG

Brewdog.

IMG_5086.JPG

Another medal.

Nice ride 70 odd miles.

Did the Penistone to Holmfirth run again today.
Lots of tourists, lots of cyclists, and spotted the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight over in the direction of Ladybower/Derwent.

I'd planned on doing my Penistone, Silkstone, Dodworth, Dove Valley, Wombwell, Elsecar loop but the scenery above Winscar just blows everything else away.

Zimbob

Über Member
As I needed to test out my Van Rouge mini-camper, I headed West last night....

Found a lovely spot overlooking Skye and Raasay (excuse the blurry zoomed pic)

36391184615_f185ba88e5_b.jpg 20170804_200223 by zimbob.co.uk, on Flickr

And set up camp - note the bottle of Fizz, and Pot Noodle, I'm nothing if not classy...

35555283064_7cc72f876f_b.jpg 20604192_10214075783511376_6103301248704096624_n by zimbob.co.uk, on Flickr

Up bright and early, then off round via Shieldaig to Applecross, then back to the van :

36223386352_b49736706f_b.jpg Capture Applecross by zimbob.co.uk, on Flickr

Weather was a mixed bag, glorious sunshine, then insane downpours once I got inland. A quick stop at the Applecross Inn for a 'recovery drink' was required after the ascent and descent - my word, that hill was tough! I've only ever climbed it from the Applecross side before, and this seemed a lot harder, although the extra miles from the coast road may not have helped, there's a few wee sharp ramps on the road round to Shieldaig... At least the descent was fun, road was nice and quiet, so not much traffic to slow me down :smile:

A wee shot of the view on the way down the Bealach :

35583171213_0a999bc4c3_b.jpg 20170805_154947 by zimbob.co.uk, on Flickr

It was nice looking at this, knowing I'd already climbed it, so didn't have to again today :smile:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
It was nice looking at this, knowing I'd already climbed it, so didn't have to again today :smile:
I'm jealous, @Zimbob ... even though I've already done that one too. That view takes me back. Takes a bit of nerve to take your hands off the brakes and let it start to roll down that one (at least it does when you weigh over 20 stone and your wheel rims are wet!) Looks like you're going to just plunge over an abyss.

Counting down the weeks 'til I get to go back again and take on a nice loop round to Skye by ferry and back by the road bridge. Thinking about also driving up to the top of the bealach and dropping down into Applecross so I can take it on from that side. Pleased to hear you say it is easier that way.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
7.8 miles this day, on the Schwinn Impact, recently released from rehabilitation, rather late, so no riders out just before dinner. Humid but cool. A bit of fettling required before the start, but the Impact is still a good speedy MTB turned drop bar tourer, about a mile or two perhour faster than the upright Schwinn Sidewinder, built for comfort, not speed.
72F 22C
Winds S7
Relative humidity 61%
Barometer 30.05 1019.4 mb

Somehow forgot to post my last ride

Friday went out and did a semi time trial typ 10 mile fast burst round a small loop in Lyne, then after receovering went up across Chobham common almost to windlesham cut across to reach the main road back into Chboham then cut across country towards Chertsey, diverting via Adlestone at the end

34.9 miles @ 17.6 mph, 827 feet climbed

The 10 mile burst was done in 31 min 34 secs

https://www.strava.com/activities/1116686357

It was a good work out, hopefullly fully recovered for today's club ride

Just a quick mooch out on the Marin today. Got to about 11 miles and noticed the front tyre was getting softer and softer. Hoped to get home on it, (3 miles), but only managed 1 :cursing:

Not the time to discover your new Topeak Mountain Morph pump is set up for Schraeder valves when you need it to inflate Presta valves. So I'm sat at the side of the road watching YouTube videos on how to convert the head over but it beat me, (yes I sussed it easily sat at home with a cup of tea and a slice of cake :mrpig:).

Then both my tyre levers snapped as well, so the ride ended with a 2 mile walk home keeping the front end up to prevent damage to the tyre wall :cry:

Anyhoo here's some pics from today.

20170806_101059_resized.jpg 20170806_102709_resized.jpg 20170806_102851_resized.jpg 20170806_112200_resized.jpg

PS: Yes the bridge in the second pic is made of giant Meccano, LINKY :okay:

13 rider

Guru
Another monthly challenge ride this morning 100km this time. Having been persuaded to join veloviewer by @tallliman and @Supersuperleeds and become a square chaser. A route had been plotted to an area Ive not rode much before , around the Leicestershire Rutland boarder . Out the door at 0815 Anstey ,Rothley ,Cossington ,Syston ,Barkby then onto some new roads through Beeby ,South Croxton then onto some beautiful lanes around Bagrave hall to Cold Newton quick half a mile on a busy B road then right in Tilton on the hill and more lovely deserted roads around Marefield with beautiful scenery absolutely loved this section . Burrough on the Hill ,Little Dalby around the back of Burton Lazar's then onto Melton Mowbray . Asfordby and up Saxileby hill and onto to Nice Pies cafe 10 minutes ahead of scheduled meeting with big Sis so breakfast and coffee ordered and consumed while waiting . Big Sis turned up with my Auntie who treated me to breakfast ^_^ . Nice relaxed chat and coffee . Purchased a squirrel pie and got sis to take it home never tried one before but they always sell out so I presume it's :hungry: .Out of nice pies just past the first junction and I heard a shout looked back and saw several cyclists so I presumed it was one of them shouting clear . Turns out it was @Supersuperleeds shouting me ,sorry :shy: I didn't see you honest . He had arrange to meet his other half at nice pies so he couldnt chase me ( he wouldnt have caught me :rolleyes: ). Heading home Seagrave ,Sileby as I past my mate Andy's house he's out the front ,so stopped for a chat and another coffee . Back out back to Cossington ,Rothley ,Cropston ,Anstey . 63.5 miles in the bag so target done ,veloviewer square expanded all in glorious weather on some lovely traffic free lanes in beautiful scenery that was a good day on the bike ^_^really enjoyed it today. And today's miles take me past 2016 total in the first weekend of August total so far this 5754

Last edited:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Another monthly challenge ride this morning 100km this time. Having been persuaded to join veloviewer by @tallliman and @Supersuperleeds and become a square chaser. A route had been plotted to an area Ive not rode much before , around the Leicestershire Rutland boarder . Out the door at 0815 Anstey ,Rothley ,Cossington ,Syston ,Barkby then onto some new roads through Beeby ,South Croxton then onto some beautiful lanes around Bagrave hall to Cold Newton quick half a mile on a busy B road then right in Tilton on the hill and more lovely deserted roads around Marefield with beautiful scenery absolutely loved this section . Burrough on the Hill ,Little Dalby around the back of Burton Lazar's then onto Melton Mowbray . Asfordby and up Saxileby hill and onto to Nice Pies cafe 10 minutes ahead of scheduled meeting with big Sis so breakfast and coffee ordered and consumed while waiting . Big Sis turned up with my Auntie who treated me to breakfast ^_^ . Nice relaxed chat and coffee . Purchased a squirrel pie and got sis to take it home never tried one before but they always sell out so I presume it's :hungry: .Out of nice pies just past the first junction and I heard a shout looked back and saw several cyclists so I presumed it was one of them shouting clear . Turns out it was @Supersuperleeds shouting me ,sorry :shy: I didn't see you honest . He had arrange to meet his other half at nice pies so he couldnt chase me ( he wouldnt have caught me :rolleyes: ). Heading home Seagrave ,Sileby as I past my mate Andy's house he's out the front ,so stopped for a chat and another coffee . Back out back to Cossington ,Rothley ,Cropston ,Anstey . 63.5 miles in the bag so target done ,veloviewer square expanded all in glorious weather on some lovely traffic free lanes in beautiful scenery that was a good day on the bike ^_^really enjoyed it today

You're right I wouldn't have caught you. I was on 99 point something miles at that point. :tongue:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I had originally planned to do my August imperial yesterday, but on seeing the weather forecast switched the day to today. Up at 4:45 after rough nights sleep and I'm not really wanting to go out, but I'd promised our lass I would meet her at the Nice Pie cafe so kicked myself up the arse and get out of the door not long after 5:30.

Blooming heck it was freezing. Luckily I had put on the arm warmers but with the fingerless gloves my fingers were a tad cold.

I'd planned a route to capture some squares for the veloviewer explorer chasing, as this can lead to some slow riding or even walking depending on the surface I told our lass that I would call her when I was an hour away from the cafe.

Once the sun started to get higher it started to get warmer and I got really warm at the 20 mile mark when I went up my first proper climb of the day on a road aptly named as just The Hill. As I got to the top I saw my first other cyclist of the day and didn't see another for 70 miles when I then proceeded to be tripping over them for the next 30 miles.

A bit of dodgy riding around Eyebrook reservoir to bag a square but didn't get caught, I really need to get my eyes tested, I keep missing these signs that say no public right of way :rolleyes:

Miles 30 -70 were basically either going up hill or down hill so it was either spinning in the lowest gear or freewheeling in the highest, very little in between.

Coming back down a dead end road after bagging another square came across one of many horse riders out today. This one was an oldish bloke with a right posh accent who thanked me for slowing down (I always do for horses) as his horse had never seen a bike before. Gave me a right chuckle, he sounded like Cholmondley Warner :laugh:

At 70 miles I rode into the flat lands known as the Vale of Belvoir and had the cracking descent down Pasture Lane, only problem with the Vale of Belvoir is you have to climb out of it at some point if you head back to Leicester. Anyway I had a plan for this, I headed towards Nottingham and came out of it at the flatter end, was still a stinker of a climb out of Owthorpe were I stopped at the top to ring her lass.

As I get to the top of Lawn Lane I see @13 rider fly by the junction. I shouted, but he ignored me :cry:I couldn't chase him down as he was going the opposite way to my route and I was meeting our lass. :rolleyes:

At the cafe stop I had a nice large piece of triple sponge cake and a latte, our lass also a latte and some coffee and walnut cake. Gave my empty drinks bottle to take home and got her also to take some pies a well :hungry:

Left the cafe and headed to AB Kettleby an then down to Saxleby, into Leicester city centre and home.

tad under 127 miles done and rode through four different counties (including Leicestershire)

https://www.strava.com/activities/1120150442

13 rider

Guru
I had originally planned to do my August imperial yesterday, but on seeing the weather forecast switched the day to today. Up at 4:45 after rough nights sleep and I'm not really wanting to go out, but I'd promised our lass I would meet her at the Nice Pie cafe so kicked myself up the arse and get out of the door not long after 5:30.

Blooming heck it was freezing. Luckily I had put on the arm warmers but with the fingerless gloves my fingers were a tad cold.

I'd planned a route to capture some squares for the veloviewer explorer chasing, as this can lead to some slow riding or even walking depending on the surface I told our lass that I would call her when I was an hour away from the cafe.

Once the sun started to get higher it started to get warmer and I got really warm at the 20 mile mark when I went up my first proper climb of the day on a road aptly named as just The Hill. As I got to the top I saw my first other cyclist of the day and didn't see another for 70 miles when I then proceeded to be tripping over them for the next 30 miles.

A bit of dodgy riding around Eyebrook reservoir to bag a square but didn't get caught, I really need to get my eyes tested, I keep missing these signs that say no public right of way :rolleyes:

Miles 30 -70 were basically either going up hill or down hill so it was either spinning in the lowest gear or freewheeling in the highest, very little in between.

Coming back down a dead end road after bagging another square came across one of many horse riders out today. This one was an oldish bloke with a right posh accent who thanked me for slowing down (I always do for horses) as his horse had never seen a bike before. Gave me a right chuckle, he sounded like Cholmondley Warner :laugh:

At 70 miles I rode into the flat lands known as the Vale of Belvoir and had the cracking descent down Pasture Lane, only problem with the Vale of Belvoir is you have to climb out of it at some point if you head back to Leicester. Anyway I had a plan for this, I headed towards Nottingham and came out of it at the flatter end, was still a stinker of a climb out of Owthorpe were I stopped at the top to ring her lass.

As I get to the top of Lawn Lane I see @13 rider fly by the junction. I shouted, but he ignored me :cry:I couldn't chase him down as he was going the opposite way to my route and I was meeting our lass. :rolleyes:

At the cafe stop I had a nice large piece of triple sponge cake and a latte, our lass also a latte and some coffee and walnut cake. Gave my empty drinks bottle to take home and got her also to take some pies a well :hungry:

Left the cafe and headed to AB Kettleby an then down to Saxleby, into Leicester city centre and home.

tad under 127 miles done and rode through four different counties (including Leicestershire)

https://www.strava.com/activities/1120150442
How did you find the climb from dry brook reservoir through Stoke Dry ? Bit of a brute certainly rolling terrain out that way

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
How did you find the climb from dry brook reservoir through Stoke Dry ? Bit of a brute certainly rolling terrain out that way

I went up it fine, I just dropped into the little ring and span up it. Only hard bit was as I got towards the top and an Alsatian came tearing down the road at me. The owner quickly grabbed it and it got nowhere near me. I did say to him luckily it wasn't the steepest bit otherwise I might have fallen off. The descent down into Lyddington was worth the climb.

13 rider

Guru
I went up it fine, I just dropped into the little ring and span up it. Only hard bit was as I got towards the top and an Alsatian came tearing down the road at me. The owner quickly grabbed it and it got nowhere near me. I did say to him luckily it wasn't the steepest bit otherwise I might have fallen off. The descent down into Lyddington was worth the climb.
When I did it was at 95 miles into the Hilly Rutland sportive it was hard then !

gavgav

Guru
Today's Cricket match was cancelled and so I got an unexpected early chance to bag my Half Century Challenge ride for August. Weather was mostly cloudy, cool and ridiculously windy for the umpteenth time in this washout of a Summer since the end of June. It all looked so promising until then.

I took a route that I haven't done for over 2 years (where does time go?!) which has a good mixture of hills and flat, up to Hawkstone Park.

Took my usual route North out of Shrewsbury, to Upton Magna, and then climbed up East Haughmond, where I had the novelty of overtaking something on the steep part of the hill.........a chap on a ride on Mower :laugh:. With the wind mostly behind me, or from the side (which was a bit scary in the gaps along the hedges) I made a fast descent to the crossroads, but, when changing down the gears, the flipping chain came off :cursing:, cue oily hands putting it back on.

Continued on to Bings Heath and Shawbury, where crossing the busy A53 was a bit fraught, before passing the RAF base and out to Moreton Corbett. Next was Stanton upon Hine Heath and the start of the main climbing of the day, to Booley, past the West Midlands Shooting Ground and up to Hawkstone Park Follies, which was my lunch stop for the day.

I had just sat down on the wall, got my Sandwiches out and it started to Rain :cry:. It wasn't forecast at all and the same thing happened when I did this ride 2 years ago :thumbsdown:. The wind had got even stronger now and I knew it would be a headwind for most of the journey home, boy was that the case!! I retraced my steps down to Booley, Stanton upon Hine Heath, Moreton Corbett and Shawbury, but then took different lanes to Poynton, Roden, Rodington and back to Upton Magna. There were times when I felt I was cycling into a brick wall, due to the strength of the wind.

Took the Pelham Road, to Berwick Wharf, passing a chap fully laden on a tourer, said hello to him as I passed, thinking we may have a chat about where he was heading, but he was a complete Victor Meldrew, not even moving his head from the forward look to make eye contact with me. Fine, if that's how you want to be, I left him standing.

The rat run to Atcham was only noticeable for a pass from an Audiot who must have been doing near 100mph :wacko:, before I crossed the old A5 and then up to Chilton and Betton Abbots. The road back to the A458 was littered with hay and huge branches from trees, which I can only assume has been caused by a tall lorry that has been transporting the stuff. One branch covered 2/3 of the road and was too big for me to even lift out of the way!

Arrived back home having done 45.4 miles, with 1648 ft of climbing at 13.2mph avg speed

Top Bottom