Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I ran out of time to posts todays ride yesterday, so here is yesterdays ride today.

Up against a time limit again, I'd half a mind to set off for Otley as I haven't been to Yorkshire's capital of cycling for a while. So, once again I headed up Coal Road but stopped after half a mile to put my arm warmers on as it was surprisingly chilly. Onto Red Hall Lane and straight into a stiff headwind - it felt stronger than the forecast would have suggested, but I ploughed on using the assumption that at least it would be at my back on the return leg.
A sprint along the A58 and on to Whin Moor Lane, and once it opened out into the countryside I was really feeling the headwind.
Into Shadwell, left up the hill, down the other side and the steady climb up to Slaid Hill lights, where a quick right then left saw me onto Wigton Lane and still being hampered by the elements. Eventually the road drops gently down to Alwoodley Gates and by this point I'd had enough. Working harder into a headwind is one thing, pedalling to maintain a decent speed downhill is something else and the thought of another 10 miles of it was enough to decide a change of route was in order, so I retraced my route back up Wigton Lane, now bowling along with my speed now in the high teens :okay:
Left down the hill at Wike Ridge Lane, through the dip and on to Tarn Lane, still wind assisted and cracking along now. But not fast enough to stop a racing snake whizz past me like I wasn't trying.:rolleyes:
Onto Ling Lane and briefly wishing I was on the hybrid on the horrible road surface and then back out onto the A58 for a fast dash down the hill to the lights and right onto Thorner Lane and the descent down to the beck and the climb up 'Hellwood' (aka Scarcroft Hill) and onto Milner Lane for a ride along the ridge, getting buffeted about at every gate / gap in the hedges by a very pronounced crosswind. Fortunately there was hardly any other traffic about and I soon turned onto Holme Farm Lane and through East Rigton and Rigton Green, where in a break with tradition I took the left fork onto Compton Lane and carried along the ridge.
After passing a few walkers I decided to stop at the Gasworks for a photo and a drink:
IMG_20170805_092241260_BURST000_COVER.jpg

Back on my way and after a few twists and turns I dropped down to the Jewitt Lane crossroads and resisting the temptation to carry on down the hill, turned right for the short climb to the top between the piggeries:mrpig: and then along between the fields on another near deserted lane:
IMG_20170805_092809615.jpg

A very pleasant undulating ride followed before the sharp climb onto another Thorner Lane, where it was right (into the wind again) as far as Milner Lane which I the followed all the way back to Thorner. Slightly concerned to see signs at the top of the drop down into Thorner saying that the road will be closed from 22-28 Aug due to the Leeds Festival - this is a new one on me, access is often restricted at the start and end of the festival and loads of roads have signs put up stating no access to the festival, but this is the first time I can remember the council closing roads completely for the best part of a week. I've emailed the Highways Dept, so will see what the response is.
Anyway, through Thorner and in a moment of madness decided to climb out of the village up Sandhills (Van Zyl Hill) and do you know what? It wasn't all that bad - apart from a close pass by a Kretin in a Kuga.:dry:
From there it's Skeltons Lane back to Coal Road, then a steady and gently downhill drop to home on local roads, enlivened only by a bus driver who had a very different interpretation of 'right of way' to the Highway Code. :rolleyes:

20.35 miles (32.75km) in an unintentionally leisurely 1h 33m at an average of 13.0mph with 918ft climbed (it felt like more...)

I'll take that as it's just good to find time to get out on the bike and the ride became much more fun when I stopped slogging into that blooming wind.

And to end, the map:
05082017.JPG

D

Deleted member 1258

59 miles this morning, The Forestry Centre at Rosliston the destination. Out through Keresley and up Breach Oak lane, through Ansley then left and up the hill, right at the top then left and through Hurley and Wood End. Crossed the A5 at Dorden then down into Polesworth, through onto the Linden road then right and through Seckington and Thorpe Constantine, on through Clifton Campville and Lullington to Cotton In The Elms, turned right and onto Rosliston and my stop at the Forestry Centre. The cafe was heaving, very busy, lots of cyclists out which is always nice to see. On the way back I went straight on at the roundabout and past the Beehive farm to Lullington then picked up my outward route to Polesworth, but instead of turning into the town I carried on and went straight on at the cross roads into Kisses Barn Lane and turned left by the Garden centre, then straight over the cross roads in Pinwall then right and left into Witherley, crossed the A5 and into Mancetter then climbed Purley Chase, turned left at the top and picked up one of my regular routes home through Ansley and Kersley. A good mornings cycling, better than last Thursdays ride, still a bit windy and cool, but it stayed dry.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/16664287

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Only 1 photo today. It was club ride time, and all the other slow guys were missing today. That, for me, meant slogging my way up the hills trying not to lose too much time on everyone else and then riding on past my waiting clubmates at the summits instead of stopping for a rest (and a photo). We tried out a slight variation of our route out to Stroud, then headed off down the Bath Road until Woodchester, where we hung a left up the brutal, mile long 12% Bear Hill up to Rodborough Common. From there it was a great, flat, 20+mph sprint across Minchinhampton Common to our favourite Yurt (yes, he said "yurt"), the appropriately named "Jolly Nice Café" at Frampton Mansell on the Cirencester Road.
218 Jolly's, Frampton Mansell.JPG

Above: Lisa with John, Paul, George and Mike. (Ringo wasn't available).
After glugging a very nice filter coffee and demolishing the best almond croissant ever, it was time to move off again. Thankfully this time it was downhill, down Cowcombe Hill, followed by another lovely 20mph sprint along the valley bottom into Stroud. That left one more big hill to negotiate.... this time the back of Horsepools Hill from Pitchcombe to Edge, probably only averaging about 5%, but a mile and a half long. Great when it stopped. Superb descent back down towards Gloucester, and then at the end Mike and I headed off home the long way to bag a handful of extra miles. 42 miles for me today. All in the sunshine for a lovely change. Great company as ever.
Enjoy your rides everyone.
Cheers, Donger.

13 rider

Guru
59 miles this morning, The Forestry Centre at Rosliston the destination. Out through Keresley and up Breach Oak lane, through Ansley then left and up the hill, right at the top then left and through Hurley and Wood End. Crossed the A5 at Dorden then down into Polesworth, through onto the Linden road then right and through Seckington and Thorpe Constantine, on through Clifton Campville and Lullington to Cotton In The Elms, turned right and onto Rosliston and my stop at the Forestry Centre. The cafe was heaving, very busy, lots of cyclists out which is always nice to see. On the way back I went straight on at the roundabout and past the Beehive farm to Lullington then picked up my outward route to Polesworth, but instead of turning into the town I carried on and went straight on at the cross roads into Kisses Barn Lane and turned left by the Garden centre, then straight over the cross roads in Pinwall then right and left into Witherley, crossed the A5 and into Mancetter then climbed Purley Chase, turned left at the top and picked up one of my regular routes home through Ansley and Kersley. A good mornings cycling, better than last Thursdays ride, still a bit windy and cool, but it stayed dry.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/16664287
Hi Dave did you notice if the garden centre on kisses barn lane has a cafe . I'm thinking of using it in the forum ride

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Boo!
An aborted ride today. We packed up the campervan(tent) and drove over to Burford. The best part of the day was FREE parking! We set off up the hill in the high street before the hordes arrived. Into Sheep Street and then turn left at The Lamb pub. 50 yards along the A40 and into The Archers.

There were plenty of well tended horse paddocks and houses to die for. I'm sure the price tag would finish me off!

We were following a route to get to Bibury in a circular ride, but just 4.5 miles into the ride we heard the now familiar sound of tinkling spokes in the back wheel.

We came to a stop, and sure enough, about 8 spokes were as loose as loose!
Well, I didn't want to wreck the wheel, I didn't want to be stranded in unfamiliar territory on a Sunday, I didn't want to go back to Burford but it seemed like the most sensible option.

Once Back in Burford I sent an email to The Tandem Shop... less than 250 miles and the wheel falls apart.

IMG_4298.JPG
IMG_4300.JPG
IMG_4303.JPG
IMG_4304.JPG
IMG_4305.JPG

So, we have unfinished business here. We'll be back!

https://www.strava.com/activities/1119689729

D

Deleted member 1258

Hi Dave did you notice if the garden centre on kisses barn lane has a cafe . I'm thinking of using it in the forum ride

I didn't notice but I think it has, it's more farm shop than garden centre, It needs checking out to make sure.

D

Deleted member 1258

Boo!
An aborted ride today. We packed up the campervan(tent) and drove over to Burford. The best part of the day was FREE parking! We set off up the hill in the high street before the hordes arrived. Into Sheep Street and then turn left at The Lamb pub. 50 yards along the A40 and into The Archers.

There were plenty of well tended horse paddocks and houses to die for. I'm sure the price tag would finish me off!

We were following a route to get to Bibury in a circular ride, but just 4.5 miles into the ride we heard the now familiar sound of tinkling spokes in the back wheel.

We came to a stop, and sure enough, about 8 spokes were as loose as loose!
Well, I didn't want to wreck the wheel, I didn't want to be stranded in unfamiliar territory on a Sunday, I didn't want to go back to Burford but it seemed like the most sensible option.

Once Back in Burford I sent an email to The Tandem Shop... less than 250 miles and the wheel falls apart.

View attachment 366466 View attachment 366467 View attachment 366468 View attachment 366469 View attachment 366470

So, we have unfinished business here. We'll be back!

https://www.strava.com/activities/1119689729

The likes for the pictures, not the wheel that self destructed

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
...Well. Last night's ride...

IMG_0858.PNG

Glow worm

Legendary Member
A nice relaxed 20 miler here around my home patch

IMG_2137.JPG

Some rare blue skies here today. And a nice bumpy road surface near Upware to keep the nasty motons away.

IMG_2138.JPG

The bumps work a treat, I've never seen a car along here once. I'd like to see them try!

IMG_2139.JPG

The lode at Upware.

IMG_2140.JPG

Another quiet route away from it all at Wicken.

IMG_2141.JPG

Heading home, Swaffham Bulbeck Lode looking calm in the sunshine.

IMG_2144.JPG

Between Lode and the Swaffhams is this cycle/ ped path. It's just way too close to the often 90mph traffic roaring past, but at least slightly away from it, so better than nothing.

IMG_2145.JPG

Home to see the barley being harvested, and straw baled. With a wet week forecast here, its hopefully in the barn just in time.

Not much about today but was pleased to see some swifts passing through to give the impression it might still be summer, although they were heading south fast, as if they couldnt wait to get away from the place. And frankly, who can blame them.

Last edited:

Katherine

Guru
So my plan was to get in a big 70 miler or so last week prior to next Sundays RideLondon. Found a nice looking route someone had made going south from Manchester to Jodrell Bank discovery centre and looping west and back.

So set off later than planned, but with enough time to take it easy and still get to the cafe at Jodrell before 4.30pm when they closed. The route was initially beset by lots of traffic - it was 2pm on a Wednesday afternoon but felt like 5pm on a Friday! Finally getting south of Heald Green I started hitting the country lanes of the route.

Nice lovely quiet country lanes...lovely. I have to hand it to the fella who did the route, bar the start and getting back from Altrincham the route was nigh on perfect, with barely any cars for the most part and lots of lovely scenery, first of near Alderley Edge's "Edge".

View attachment 363987

Then finding a village with an awful lot of awards....

View attachment 363988

(Show offs)

Then yet more beautiful country lanes....

View attachment 363989

I realised at one point I was stopping so much for photos I was probably not doing much exercise, and was starting to run a tad late for Joddrell. So my planned easy stroll turned into something like a Sagan breakaway (if someone had slashed both of Sagans tyres first).

Stopped for one last pic of the Lovell telescope at Joddrell Bank in the background...

View attachment 363990

Upon getting to the entrance with 20 minutes spare I noticed the barriers were down. Pressing the intercom button a voice told me they had closed early! :wacko::wacko:

Explaining I had cycled 35 miles to get a picture they let me crawl unceremoniously under the barrier to get closer for a picture. I couldn't get into the compound to get a nice view from below, so the closest I got was this...

View attachment 363992

I negotiated through the open kitchen door for some water and off I went taking in whatever pics I could of the massive War of the Worlds looking beast.

View attachment 363994

View attachment 363995

Continuing along the route I was acutely aware the weather forecast was rain and probable heavy thunderstorms, but I minded more the fact I had missed out on a nice cup of tea and sandwich.

That was until I hit Goostrey and an odd looking newsagents with giant words COFFEE on the side caught my eye. Brakes slammed, wallet out, and a cup of tea and sausage roll was mine to behold!

View attachment 363996

Crossed over the M6 a couple of times, the first it looked fairly quiet, the other it looked like the M6.

View attachment 364004

Started to rain by this point, so jacket on for a bit, until I got hot and took it off. Started to feel a bit leggy around Dunham Massey so stopped for a minute for one last photo...

View attachment 363997

The last few miles were uneventful but busy again with traffic, no thunderstorm came, and even the light rain stopped so was quite happy in the end.

I just need to leave the house a little earlier when I go visiting Tripods.

66.7 miles @14.9 on the Cannondale Synapse with a couple of k climbing. Didn't go as easy as I planned so my HR was through the roof!

https://www.strava.com/activities/1091677425
You didn't just miss out on a cup of tea and a sandwich at Jodrell Bank, their chips are particularly good too. Looks like a nice route.

Yesterday's club ride

We went to Clandon House (the NT property that burnt down. Our destination was the garden centre in the grounds)
We had a goodly number and by chance when we encountered the roadworks on the A320 (we were crossing over the roundabout)
The 4 way temporary traffic lights caused long delays, and we split into 2 groups.
Went rhough Ripley and East Horsley, going up the inevitable hill up an unusual route up Green Lane and Chalk Hill (The other group went up the parallel Green Dene) It seemed a long old hill, no killer gradients.

Evemtuallycoming to the top of Combe Lane and down the steep descent, then up Newlands Corner and down again on the north side to our stop.

Other group arrived 10 minutes later

Went home a similar route, but managed to make the ride a touch longer by some back and forth around Chertsey

49.72 miles @ 15.8 mph 1896 feet climbed
Plenty left in the legs at the end

https://www.strava.com/activities/1120012698

rugby bloke

Veteran
For the last couple of years the bike has hit the back of the garage after RideLondon and not seen the light of day for 3 months. So this year I am, determined to keep up the riding and was planning a gentle 30ish miler yesterday. Got a txt for a couple of friends training for the Big Battle Field Ride asking if I would like to go out with them, with the proviso that it would be a "bit further" than 35 miles. So bright and early I set of from Cogenhoe to the meeting point in Boothville. Not the nicest ride in the county but necessary. We then set off, heading out to the Bramptons before cutting south and west to cross the M1 between Kissinlingbury and Bugbrooke. At this point the amusement for the ride was provided by my mate's brand new Cervelo, which had a habit of dropping its chain at random times when swapping from the the big to the little cog. My humble little Carrera was behaving it's self as ever ...

We continued to head south and west, into the brisk wind and seemingly up as many hills as could be found ... The joy of the ride only interrupted by the occasional missed turn and the shout of "Bloody chain" or other phrases that do not bare repetition here. My friends frustration was more acute for the fact that the bike has spent an hour in the lbs being fettled to try and fix this problem.

Coffee and cake was taken after 36 miles at Barn Farm Planst in Wardington. Clearly they had a good name with cyclists as 9 out of the 11 people in the cafe had come by bike. As we were now 4 miles from Banbury I figured that the "bit further" was going to be a significantly longer ride ... On the way back my friend's Garmin died a death ... so we were back to old school navigation of actually knowing where we were. As a consequence the mileage started to increase. Eventually we were on more familiar territory and the lift tower was sighted on the horizon. Reaching the edge of Northampton we decided we had climbed enough hills so took the canal path back into town. We went out separate ways at the Water Sport's Centre and I had one final hill to climb. Turns out the ride was a 75 miler .. so quite a bit further. A very enjoyable day, the Northamptonshire countryside never disappoints.

upload_2017-8-7_9-2-25.png

A typical lumpy Northants profile !

Last edited:
Top Bottom